• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Verrucosus

Sergeant
8 Badges
Apr 28, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
For the UK starting in 1936, what are sensible diplomatic moves during the quiet years?

The biggest game-changers are probably coup attempts. In past games I was occasionally successful in Italy, Austria and Hungary, but never in Germany, the Soviet Union or Japan after it turned paternally autocratic. Turning Austria didn't make a difference because they would not ally with me and got annexed in 1938 although they were no longer fascist. Hungary stayed neutral which helped with the war in the East. Of course, the coup in Italy was very helpful because it kept it from allying with Germany, North Africa safe and the Mediterranean quiet. However, the chance of a successful coup seems small and UK influence (110 at start + 2 per month) only allows for about four attempts before things get hot.

Other options:
- influencing other countries (mainly potential allies, any point in influencing opponents?)
- alliance attempts: less expensive, but just as rarely successful
- military access (Denmark, Netherlands?)
- spreading technology to allies or threatened countries (Poland, China?)

The last option seems to carry the least risk of wasting influence, but with so many technologies it can get expensive, especially when including the Commonwealth countries. (I noticed that Eden does not reduce research sharing cost to 0, but maybe I misunderstood that tooltip.)

There are quite a few options to try as an experiment or just for fun, but what approach (or mix of approaches) makes the best sense for a UK start in 1936?

Last edited:
Reactions: