• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bah, cowards will be executed! :mad:
It is not cowardice I simply do not like most mods because of their witch hunt against gamey/exploitive stuff. That effort usually ends up creating a bunch of different/new gamey tactics, exploits (...) and inconsistencies! A country like Czechoslovaquia having ~170MP per month by calling the reserves? WTF? In vanilla I have most of the world and only recently reached that MP per mounth! (...)
I would prefer to attempt a WC with Albania or survive as Shanxi than to endure some mods (ICE needs a 1940 tech to build a 1918 TP:rofl: :wacko:).

Last edited:
That effort usually ends up creating a bunch of different/new gamey tactics, exploits (...) and inconsistencies! A country like Czechoslovaquia having ~170MP per month by calling the reserves? WTF?

Czechoslovakia is nerfed badly by Paradox anyway and HPP does a nice job to "counter" this. The bonus is applied only for one month anyway and AI can use it to its advantage as well. I wouldn´t play Czechoslovakia in vanilla. I´m not so suicidal :p

Czechoslovakia is nerfed badly by Paradox anyway and HPP does a nice job to "counter" this. The bonus is applied only for one month anyway and AI can use it to its advantage as well. I wouldn´t play Czechoslovakia in vanilla. I´m not so suicidal :p
I am almost 100% sure the Germans would be screwed if I played the Czechs in vanilla...
Edit: BTW not all is lost because I am here reading your HPP AARs, maybe with time you can sell it to me? Who knows? :D

I am almost 100% sure the Germans would be screwed if I played the Czechs in vanilla...

Ah, I forgot about that gamey Prepare for War decision! C´mon now...

Edit: BTW not all is lost because I am here reading your HPP AARs, maybe with time you can sell it to me? Who knows? :D

I don´t get it, what do you mean?

Ah, I forgot about that gamey Prepare for War decision! C´mon now...
See what I mean? "Prepare for war" is gamey, 170MP (even if for only one month) and ~3x plus LS is not?

I don´t get it, what do you mean?
I mean that I am enjoying your AARs, I am enjoying the variety (like JAP invading SOV, etc.). Maybe if I keep seeing cool stuff I may eventually give HPP a try. :)

Edit: I meant to say this; if Czechoslovakia is given 170MP in one month, I wonder how much the Soviets will get from such mechanic... probably enough to populate the whole eastern front? Or is this just a minor nation thing?

Last edited:
See what I mean? "Prepare for war" is gamey, 170MP (even if for only one mounth) and ~3x plus LS is not?

But those boosts are serving just like conscription laws. It´s more likely to have a big surge of volunteers/reservists at one point, than have constant MP gain throughout the whole game.

LS is OK, but HPP has a nasty modifier of "Lost Potential", which is somewhat calculated from the number of occupied provinces and might cut your LS to oblivion. Moreover Czechoslovakia was quite advanced country, which had superior tanks to the German ones.

I´m sure the HPP modder team did a good job balancing it. Afterall, the HPP has a different system of techs anyway.

I mean that I am enjoying your AARs, I am enjoying the variety (like JAP invading SOV, etc.). Maybe if I keep seeing cool stuff I may eventually give HPP a try. :)

You should, it´s full of good stuff! :)

I meant to say this; if Czechoslovakia is given 170MP in one month, I wonder how much the Soviets will get from such mechanic... probably enough to populate the whole eastern front?

The Soviets win anyway :D I´m not sure neither. I just believe the HPP modder team! :eek:

See what I mean? "Prepare for war" is gamey, 170MP (even if for only one month) and ~3x plus LS is not?

Edit: I meant to say this; if Czechoslovakia is given 170MP in one month, I wonder how much the Soviets will get from such mechanic... probably enough to populate the whole eastern front? Or is this just a minor nation thing?
I cannot tell if the following is the case with HPP - I never really used it, however it's true for some mods I'm using.
(1) Mods could change the system how manpower works, so 170MP is quite OK.
(2) Most mods change the amount of techs, so it's perfectly reasonable to also change the LS - 3xTechs ==> 3xLS
(3) Even without Prepare for war, it's fairly easy to beat the Germans back , if starting in 1936.
--
Just another point regarding Prepare for War:
In dictatorships, going to war (at least a war, where you have a chance to win) is nothing determined by the will of your people (eg neutrality), but by the will of the dictator and how strong his might is. That's something the game skips entirely: the will of your people to continue fighting. Historically some wars were won not by decisive military victories and the occupation of another country, but simply by the lack of guys who want to fight. Even if you occupy some of your enemies land, you could loose. That's not modeled ingame, since NU never drops below one.

I cannot tell if the following is the case with HPP - I never really used it, however it's true for some mods I'm using.
(1) Mods could change the system how manpower works, so 170MP is quite OK.

I hope I am not misunderstood. I did not say it is ok or not. What I was trying to underline is the reasoning behind some changes and the overall consistency/balance of a mod. IIANM the HPP mod also has a given number of MP gain per month; but in a time of emergency the player can change the laws to allow a huge amount of MP gain for only 1 month (and, again IIANM the side effect of that is a steep penalty in production or production efficiency); for Czechoslovakia that was around 170MP. My question is that if the Czechs gain 170MP using these laws, how much would the Soviets gain by doing the same? If my logic is not flawed we should be talking of xxxx MP in one month! Some players go play mods because they think they are much more fun than vanilla (that is great); others play them because they say vanilla is "gamey" because it has the "prepare for war" that lowers neutrality. So how can one argue that "prepare for war" in vanilla is gamey and 170MP in one month is not? In vanilla the Czechs would need 170 months to gain that or with improved laws they would need a minimum of ~70 months!
Then we have huge inconsistencies in mods. I have played ICE for TFH and I noticed that they have raised IIANM the Agriculture techs to the difficulty level of nuclear techs (!); they have done this probably because they wished to prevent a "gamey" tech rush of Agriculture? The problem with this is that after the player is able to advance one level instead of the vanilla 10% increase, they give him a higher % increase (this does not make sense at all); it is almost the same thing with Education. Then they have a tech three that needs a 1940 tech to build a 1918 unit...and then there are laws are easily exploited (one has to see it to believe it). Some mods have so many inconsistencies that sometimes they "make my hair hurt"! Having said this I have no problem with players who like these mods! I am the first to say play whatever makes you feel happy, my problem is when some of them dismiss vanilla as being gamey! But this AAR is hardly the place to discuss this. I just wanted to clarify my POV.

(3) Even without Prepare for war, it's fairly easy to beat the Germans back , if starting in 1936.

That is something that I would like to see, especially after you are surrounded by Axis from all sides and with only 1MP gain per month and not enough troops to properly mobilize your standing army.

Edit: In vanilla have you ever seen a country have their own cores completely overrun by partisans? Well I have seen a country hopelessly/completely black due to partisans in a mod. :eek:hmy:

Last edited:
The Breakdown: Part 1​

This is not going to be a real update, I´m just showing you why I failed my task in the defense of Czechoslovakia.

Better mobilization laws are being enacted.

clipboard01ktk.jpg

clipboard02iei.jpg

New ministers for 1939 are appointed.

clipboard03su.jpg

New ARM brigade is deployed.

clipboard04nv.jpg

Chinese front overview.

clipboard05f.jpg

Current state of my theatre.

clipboard06i.jpg

Philosophical look at Danzig?

clipboard07ea.jpg

I´m beginning to (rightfully) panic about my future extended borders with Germany, because Poland is likely to be invaded very soon.

clipboard08fw.jpg

Polish-Lithuanian crisis is solved.

clipboard09hw.jpg

Germans are moving their units up to Poland.

clipboard10h.jpg

Which provinces should I hold? VP map helps me a bit.

clipboard11w.jpg

Regional Power status is acquired, thanks to Militia spam.

clipboard12j.jpg

Heavy Industry Emphasis is enacted, so I can produce units more efficiently.

clipboard13n.jpg

Chinese front overview.

clipboard14x.jpg

Total Economic Mobilization is enacted to get the maximum IC out of my country. It might be one of those mistakes I made; I can´t fuel so many ICs forever.

clipboard15ca.jpg

Trade deals. To get Money for them, I sell some Fuel to Hungary and other countries which don´t have tanks at all :p

clipboard16f.jpg

Slovakia is now “secured”; every border province is guarded by 4xMIL.

clipboard17b.jpg

China once again.

clipboard18vo.jpg

The outbreak of German-Polish war.

clipboard19n.jpg

Part 2 is coming out soon. I can post only 20 pictures per hour and it would be a shame just to scrap some of them ;) And I know I´ve posted only 19 of them :p

You would have to give up half of your country (defend in a small perimeter), but even then it would be hard to hold it because central Czechoslovakia has some nasty plains (very difficult to defend against armor). You are doing all that could be done but after the Axis completely surrounds you it is game over. :(

You would have to give up half of your country (defend in a small perimeter), but even then it would be hard to hold it because central Czechoslovakia has some nasty plains (very difficult to defend against armor). You are doing all that could be done but after the Axis completely surrounds you it is game over. :(

It would be enough just to wait for the giants to clash it out. Luckily I could grab some more territory with some help of my red friends :)

The Breakdown: Part 2

The Germans are now advancing (read blitzing) through Poland.

clipboard20i.jpg

Of course I pull my units from the Hungarian border and place them on temporary Poland border, because when Germans capture them, they can attack me from there.

clipboard21r.jpg

Thanks to our superior numbers, I was able to pull my first battle off and win it.

clipboard22t.jpg

Another nice battle I won.

clipboard23.jpg

I´m switching my laws back to Full Mobilization, because I can´t fuel so much IC anymore.

clipboard24z.jpg

Italy joins the Axis, while my forces start to crumble a bit.

clipboard26l.jpg

Now another screen is missing, damn this Print Screen button!

I pulled back some CA divisions from Czech territory, losing one or two provinces, but which were badly defendable anyway (possible attack from 4 provinces or so). Nevertheless, even reinforcements can´t hold Germans off from rolling through my defense.

clipboard27b.jpg

Czechoslovakia is now reduced only to the Czech half.

clipboard28h.jpg

I´m shortening the front as much as I can, but my MIL units are far from being efficient and stacking penalty starts to appear.

clipboard29j.jpg

Luckily we were able to hold those Germans off for now.

clipboard30x.jpg

A few more battles are fought, because Germans are rightfully thinking that I´m running OoS.

clipboard32.jpg

It´s apparent that I can´t run such a big army with such a small amount of IC. I can´t even reinforce my units, let alone upgrading them. Plus I need to buy about 60 Supplies a day from Denmark, but my Money reserves are running low and selling Fuel is only a temporary solution.

Yet another screenshot is doubled. Damn it!

My units are trying to retake Třebíč, but it´s too little, too late. My army starts to be OoS completely, I´ve no Money to buy Supplies and Germans conquer me maybe within one or two months.

clipboard34o.jpg

The mistakes were following: I just underestimated the Nazi threat from Poland. I should enact less harsh Industrial law, so my Resources won´t be burned so quickly.

Now, would you like me to restart this AAR from the end of the fourth chapter or to start a new one from the scratch? Think twice about this please :)

And sorry if those screens are messed up.

If the Axis hadn't went after Poland, you would have been able to hold out for a very long time. Slovakia is very tough to defend

If the Axis hadn't went after Poland, you would have been able to hold out for a very long time. Slovakia is very tough to defend

I had some forts there, no excuse, I underestimated them. And the geo map there is broken; Slovakia in fact is quite mountainous and hilly.

detailed_road_and_physical_map_of_slovakia.jpg

It is defensive, but the amount of troops needed to maintain the defense is more than the Czech industry can support. Has the Luftwaffe been very active to this point?

It is defensive, but the amount of troops needed to maintain the defense is more than the Czech industry can support. Has the Luftwaffe been very active to this point?

It´s quite optimal I´d say, but loosing half of my ICs in the end, that was the final stab. And for the Luftwaffe: I´m not sure, but they weren´t the deciding factor I´d say.

Too bad you lost so fast... Atleast it was more historical than previous AARs :sad:

It wasn´t so fast; three years! Do you have any idea for next countries?

Well three years is quite good i lost because of same thing supply/money shortage when I tested Finland in HPP.
As an idea maybe some south american country as axis

Well three years is quite good i lost because of same thing supply/money shortage when I tested Finland in HPP.
As an idea maybe some south american country as axis

I failed my Finland AAR because I started building units too late (if I was building them at all! :D)