• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ikarases

Field Marshal
17 Badges
Jul 2, 2012
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
Hello there, my readers!

After some consideration, I´ve decided to do make my next AAR, a Czechoslovakian AAR... I felt some of you might be like: "Hey Ikar, stop bragging here about Czechoslovakian AAR; you haven´t even made a topic about it yet!", so here I come! :)

The game will be modded by my own modifications, because there isn´t any way to defend yourself from the Germans, unless you use some cheesy moves (no neutrality, Prepare for War, buffing your MP to 99999), which I won´t use, but you also can´t defend yourself without any modding/cheating - I´ve tested this before, there is no way to do this. You´ll find out soon enough anyway. Who knows, my guess is starting right after the New Year - 1st January.

mapa_cs_opevneni_dle_husarka.jpg

Fortresses will also be one part of my modding

Účel světí prostředky (The purpose justifies the means) - A Czechoslovakian AAR

author: Ikarases
start date: 26/12/2012
version: FTM 3.06/HPP/my own modifications
difficulty: normal
aim: survive
style: narrative/gameplay​

I might include some more flavor in my AAR this time; I´m pretty much sure I won´t use almost none of it in my current Libyan AAR, because I saw Libya only from the pictures, if ever.

Enjoy this AAR and don´t forget to rate, comment and subscribe! :)

Last edited:
I actually DID manage it once in FTM. Spearheaded my armour through Vienna and pocketed a large number of german troops after I had beaten off their assualts (I focused most of my IC for the first 2 years soley on fortifications), then sat back and waited. Eventually managed to bring the allies into the war, and then Poland, which drew off enough forces for me to punch through to Munich by 1940. After that I rushed for the Maginot line, as I found out in a British game earlier that if I removed German forces from the Maginot borders, the french WOULD attack. Once that was accomplished, it was a mop up, especially since the BEF came in force at Wilhelmshaven.

I actually DID manage it once in FTM. Spearheaded my armour through Vienna and pocketed a large number of german troops after I had beaten off their assualts (I focused most of my IC for the first 2 years soley on fortifications), then sat back and waited. Eventually managed to bring the allies into the war, and then Poland, which drew off enough forces for me to punch through to Munich by 1940. After that I rushed for the Maginot line, as I found out in a British game earlier that if I removed German forces from the Maginot borders, the french WOULD attack. Once that was accomplished, it was a mop up, especially since the BEF came in force at Wilhelmshaven.

In HPP, you need a big threat or some radical government to even move from Full Civilian Economy (which keeps your troops at 25% STR), otherwise you´re done for.

As far as I know, we're talking of HPP. In vanilla beating the Germans is definitely possible and not too difficult.

You nailed it right there :)

You nailed it right there :)
Wasn't quite difficult, since I'm reading your AARs quite frequently - unlikely, that you've changed to vanilla again.
However it would be nice, if you could translate all that Czech in your maps for us (my Czech is quite limited - 'nádraží' is one of the few words I understand)

However it would be nice, if you could translate all that Czech in your maps for us (my Czech is quite limited - 'nádraží' is one of the few words I understand)

There are only represented the most important towns in our country, together with some description of forts, which level I´ll include later on, when I´ll have it ready to play (line Ostrava-Liberec was the toughest etc.) :)

Guys, because I didn´t feel like playing WoT today too much, I´ve started my Czechoslovakian AAR officially today! :)

In this AAR, I want you to have more initiative, so every morning I´ll play a bit and then in the evening I´ll make an update about it. You might eventually suggest me some really good ideas, back in Libyan one, I´ve that almost one month finished, I´m just taking my time to write updates :p

Expect this AAR to be narrative, but not way too much :)

Chapter I: Introduction​

The year is 1936. A few months earlier, right wing radical parties have lost the elections but by a quite close margin to the coalition of democratic parties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovakian_parliamentary_election,_1935

Unsatisfied with the elections outcome, a successful coup was organized by leaders of Sudetendeutsche Partei (SdP) and Hlinkova Slovenská Ludová Strana (HSLS), overthrowing and afterwards imprisoning or outright executing Czechoslovakian democratic leaders.

Although the radicals’ weren´t united, they agreed on the following:

Andrej Hlinka becomes the Head of State. Jozef Tiso will be his right hand, receiving his long wished seat as the Head of Government.

Other minister slots will be occupied as Hlinka and Tiso decide, nevertheless two positions will be occupied by SdP at all times.

clipboard04kn.jpg

SdP members knew too well that their time will come later on. Hlinka was on the brink of his life, so there was no reason to arouse unwanted suspicion now with some hostilities against HSLS.

As for the HSLS, they were more or less glad for SdP´s full support; they wouldn´t have enough power to rule the country on their own (at least for now).

After the coup, Czechoslovakia appatently became a fascistic republic, just like one of her neighbors already was: Austria.

clipboard01tz.jpg

Proper research was set quickly, but our army needed to be strengthened. It was consisted mostly of simple INF and ART divisions. If we are to make a stand against the Wehrmacht, we need some kind of motorized and armored army, not these “softies”!

clipboard05sh.jpg

Our generals have proposed a new army revitalization plan; upgrading current INF to MOT, CAV to ARM, LARM to ARM and SUP (H) to SUP (T) (ART to TART?).

clipboard06o.jpg

As for Technology, our science teams are doing their best to keep up in INF, ARM and ART techs, any other aspects of army are negligible. We can´t field any navy and our air force can´t match the Luftwaffe by any means, so researching anything here is a pure waste of leadership.

clipboard02lo.jpg

clipboard03sk.jpg

This concludes this update, stay tuned, but don´t forget also about my Libyan AAR, it´s still active! :)

I guess I will only be reading because I know (almost) nothing about HPP. Are you sure you cannot survive Germanic onslaught without modding? Maybe defending a smaller perimeter around Praha would help? How about joining the Allies ASAP? Sometimes surviving against all odds it’s more fun than doing a WC.

I guess I will only be reading because I know (almost) nothing about HPP. Are you sure you cannot survive Germanic onslaught without modding? Maybe defending a smaller perimeter around Praha would help? How about joining the Allies ASAP? Sometimes surviving against all odds it’s more fun than doing a WC.

Well, in HPP things get even harder I think :D

Nope, I won´t get my units any further than on 25% STR, and Germans steamroll me with either: a) numbers (I wasn´t modyfing MP at all) and b) 50-60% STR divisions. My forts (even those 9 lvl ones, I´ll explain this later) won´t hold, I tried this and it failed pretty bad.

Even with best laws and units I can still crumble; no-one has ever repelled the Germans after the Munich Treaty!

But hey, this option was quite probable in history too! :) But I guess Czechoslovakia would be outright annexed by Germany then...

I´ll post here a handy pack of fascist Czechoslovakia at some point, so you can eventually try it out too! :)

Chapter II: The Road to War

As you can see here, our workers are doing outstanding job on upgrading our units. Also note that we are lacking some resources, so we need to buy some of them from other European nations.

clipboard01qt.jpg

Our first Medium Armored tank division ever is deployed, it´s full of brand new Tatra T-III tanks! :)

clipboard02btj.jpg

After some thinking, I´ve decided to change our Economic Law to Full Mobilization via this nice event. At least our divisions will be at 40% strength, which is well needed when Germany attacks us.

clipboard03ug.jpg

SPA is losing as always (actually in my latest test game they won the SCW) and Ethiopia was annexed into Italy. Also the Rome-Berlin Axis is established, so there won´t be some crazy Anschluss war going on :)

clipboard04kw.jpg

I´m still stacking my units in the deployment queue, I don´t need them deployed at the moment... We´ve also enacted Advanced Training, so our new recruits will be more experienced from now.

clipboard05d.jpg

The Chinese front is still silent, but for how long?

clipboard06xy.jpg

Great news! We have been offered an IC enhancement plan. We´re grabbing this opportunity right away! :)

clipboard07d.jpg

I´ve decided to put our troops in Prague already, so they can upgrade and reinforce now.

clipboard08wh.jpg

Our Manpower is lacking but this problem will be solved later on.

clipboard09y.jpg

We are heading for Firepower doctrines system, which means we can fill our brigades with heavier weapons and eventually increase their number of effective soldiers. The downside is that they will cost more IC and a little bit extra MP.

clipboard10k.jpg

In the diplomatic triangle, we are moving towards Axis, but aligning towards Allies to counters this a bit. The leader of Axis will become our enemy anyway.

clipboard11t.jpg

We are building more ARM divisions, because Firepower doctrines also boost the Combined Arms bonus, so we need to mix our units properly to get the maximum out of this improvement :)

clipboard12c.jpg

Our research is going smoothly; we can easily keep updated our ARM, ART and INF techs, while we can also research Firepower doctrines and some Theoretical researches, to further enhance the speed of our overall research.

clipboard13l.jpg

clipboard14d.jpg

clipboard15.jpg

clipboard16v.jpg

Our leading party, the HSLS, is growing thanks to our spies supporting it via perfectly “legal” actions.

clipboard17c.jpg

The one nice feature of Firepower doctrines is that we can field the fifth brigade into our divisions. Now we can obtain the CA bonus with less armored divisions used, for example ARM/ARM/MOT/MOT/TART, so we can “spare” more ARM divisions for more efficient CA builds.

clipboard18n.jpg

It looks like the Japanese aren´t going against Soviets this time; they are after China!

clipboard19u.jpg

I am sorry to say this update ends in grieve; our Prime Minister Jozef Tiso was mortally shot by an unknown communist in Bratislava, where he was peacefully resting after a rough day in his villa. Vojtěch Tuka was appointed on his seat instead of him. We should ban the KSČ right away to punish such a daring action!

clipboard20o.jpg

Thanks for reading, comments are welcome as always! :) I might post another update later on, I´m still one update backwards :)

Last edited:
:D Tiso and Tuka are back!

Will we see your defensive plans soon? I think the best option would be to abandon Western Czechoslovakia, unless, of course, you have personal reasons to defend it ;)

:D Tiso and Tuka are back!

Will we see your defensive plans soon? I think the best option would be to abandon Western Czechoslovakia, unless, of course, you have personal reasons to defend it ;)

I live in Ostrava, which Germans attacked as their first target! :mad:

You´ll find out soon enough, but that fort improvement helped me a lot in defending :)

As I´ve already stated I´ll post an update later, I´m not sure when but I´d like to post it today.

Btw. Tiso is dead :p

Chapter III: To Arms!

The SCW is over, the Republicans won. The war in China is still raging; Shanxi is about to be annexed.

clipboard01bm.jpg

Almost right after the New Year´s Eve (2nd January, 1938), our troops were sent to guard our borders with Germany and Austria. Germany is not to be underestimated.

clipboard02uf.jpg

Just two days later, Anschluss of Austria fired. Now the Germans are threatening the whole Czech territory plus some Slovakian provinces, including Bratislava.

clipboard03we.jpg

If we are to field a strong army, we must raise our Officers Ratio to 150% ASAP. The most advanced research projects are put on the top of the queue.

clipboard04wn.jpg

Now here is some screenshot is missing, I´m not sure if it was important or not, just to let you know :)

So the Germans want the Sudetenland, eh? Let´s give them what for!

clipboard06rr.jpg

Thanks to the UK, which more or less supported us, we can make a stand against Nazi invaders!

clipboard07dp.jpg

Germany declared war on us. Now we can enact better laws, so our war effort is further increased!

clipboard08pr.jpg

We are mobilizing our reserves, that´s the fix for the MP! :)

clipboard09b.jpg

Thanks for reading, stay tuned for the next episode! :) Another teaser though :D

It will be interesting to see how this turns out

Yeah, I´m thinking of writing another update now; I´m still a few months backwards.

Thanks for following! :)

Chapter IV: The Initial Battle of Czechoslovakia

Right after the German DoW, they are attacking my future birthplace of Ostrava! Luckily I can counter that pretty well, giving them the nasty -50% Multiple Combat modifier.

clipboard10b.jpg

I´ve kept 2 divisions to run around Czechoslovakia as some kind of mobile reserves, which has proven quite useful. My divisions’ aren´t by far at 100% strength, so I need every soldier I can get to counter this onslaught of Germans.

clipboard11q.jpg

We´re strategically redeploying our reserves all over the place; once we pull them back, the Germans are attacking again at the same province! :mad:

clipboard12pw.jpg

We´ve pulled back to concentrate our defense a bit more, perhaps it will eventually stop their advance.

clipboard13p.jpg

Phew, did they say Blitzkrieg? You´re not even remotely close of achieving this, Nazis!

clipboard14sp.jpg

Unfortunately, our beloved Head of State - Andrej Hlinka died. You can read the event for further information!

clipboard15s.jpg

The HSLS rulers would not work for this event, because Tiso was already assassinated at the first place! This is the reason why K. H. Frank was appointed as the new Head of State.

clipboard16g.jpg

In the middle of the phone call:

“This is unacceptable!”
“I´m sorry to say this, mein Führer, but I will take my chances and fight for my little Czechoslovakian empire against your, so called “Thousand Years” Reich.”
“Karl, you can still abort this stupid idea, I´m sure it is just a small misunderstanding. I will give you the Protector´s post instead of Heydrich, that´s a fair deal!”
“I´m afraid I cannot accept this. I know your plans about what do you intend to do with Czechoslovakians. I shall not accept your offer.”
“Karl, I order you...”
“Auf Wiedersehen, Herr Hitler.”

K.H. Frank snaps the earpiece.

Since the home front was established even before Hlinka died, Frank took a look at the Asian map. He saw that Japanese troops (Japan was already a part of the Axis) are advancing through Chinese territory and guessed, that it won´t take too long for the Japanese to either inherit or puppet the whole China...

clipboard17f.jpg

Finally the AAR is synchronized with the game! Comment, suggest and subscribe! :)