• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem is always the same: the italian market is not important.
we barely cover 1/2% of the market, so just a major can imagine to translate a game in italian with a good profit.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the list of languages is final. More information will be shared in the coming future :)

There is no translation to russian (260 million first and second language speakers) or portuguese (250 million first and second language speakers), but there is polish (40 million). This is a little strange. Do they have laws that regulate this?

There is no translation to russian (260 million first and second language speakers) or portuguese (250 million first and second language speakers), but there is polish (40 million). This is a little strange. Do they have laws that regulate this?

1) what sort of regulatory body would want to insure video games are localized in multiple languages?
2) why on earth would we want such a regulatory body to exist in the first place?

Just to clarify: there are no laws regarding translating games to or from specific languages. As for what languages we translate the game to though there are various things we take into consideration and just because a game doesn't have a specific language support upon release it doesn't mean we may add it in the future :)

1) what sort of regulatory body would want to insure video games are localized in multiple languages?
2) why on earth would we want such a regulatory body to exist in the first place?
I meant laws of Polands ofc. Because France has laws, that regulate distribution of games without support of french language.

Then how the heck are French Paradoxians playing/getting Hearts of Iron 3??

The law is only effective for releases of games and movies in stores located in France i believe. It doesnt affect imported content (and maybe dematerialized content as whole). So it doesn't affect Steam or PDS given you're not buying from a shop located in France.

Also all PDS games have, to my knowledge, a pseudo-french translation but people wanting to actually play have to use a translation mod that fix the many errors or simply play in english instead.

I meant laws of Polands ofc. Because France has laws, that regulate distribution of games without support of french language.

Ah, I thought you were asking if there was some sort of regulatory body that made sure games were localized by number of native speakers. Mea Culpa.

Number of speakers =/= number of players. In gaming industry Russian isn't very important because it's not that big of a market. And Chinese isn't important for Paradox too. Chine might be the largest language but it's not worth because most Paradox games in China are pirated. The number of speakers is unimportant for the gaming industry. I once was on a good site explaing this... sadly I don't have the link anymore.

russian is already in the supported languages list. imho portoguese will be supported too, usually it's a good market, but it might not be valid for paradox/obsidian games (who knows)

Italian market isn't great at all. It might be historical, but not great.
However PoE seems to have sold quite well even in Italy. It might be enough to convince them to pay for the localization

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.