• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hannibal_M

Private
Sep 15, 2012
Hey all!

I have two questions today. First, does it help that the king is the same culture as his province and demesne? I'm playing the castillian king of Aragon, and when the pope called for the crusades, I went and conquered all of the kingdom of Jerusalem. Because there wasn't much left to do in Aragon, I gave all my european provinces to my relatives and moved my court to Jerusalem. Now the land has improved a lot and everyone is catholic, but their culture is still arab. I remember from my last game I played for 3 generations and the provinces didn't change culture.
I married my sons to arab girls, and one of them has an arab son of my dinasty, although he's not the brightest guy :p. So, should I make him heir, so that the new king has the same culture as his land? Is there an advantage to that, to chose him over more capable candidates?

Second, how can I have more people at my court? I'm the richest guy, have nice traits, the piety of a saint and a prestige in the hundreds of thousands, and yet my court only has 7 courtiers! :mad: I even had an event when my chaplain threatened me for having a muslim as marshal, because there was noone else to swap him for! I said screw the pope and got excommunicated. No problem because I was also papal controller, but it still bothers me that my court is so small that, had my marshal died, I'd have had to appoint the janitor :D So, how can I have more people? I saw on a previous thread about create_courtier. Is it a cheat, or is it a fix?

Regarding the problem with the pope and my muslim marshal, did it hurt that my chaplain was a moron? Could I have avoided that event if he was a master theologian?

Last edited:
I loaded my old HRE game ( playing with DVIP though) and man, i have 26 kids in my court. Not talking about the number of adults.
You should marry your courtiers.
Breed them !

Also leave the council spots empty. Events should fire to fill them if i recall correctly.
A muslim councilor will fire the excom event.

...later i find this in a newbie questions thread:

Q: I'm papal controller and keep losing all my courtiers. Is this intentional?
A: Yes, but only for people with an ecclestical education.

Oh...

For courtiers getting generated see courtier_events.txt , especially after line 2357.
Cheating a steward should be "charevent 7332". (Opening console with F12 before)
You get a marshal with event 7333. So type "charevent 7333" (without quotation marks).

edit: yes it is. Checked in game. You might need to select your character.

Last edited:
Thanx! I've had the event for a bishop many times, but I'd never seen any other counsil event.

The problem solved itself rather... odd. When I had chosen a vassal to be my heir under elective law, I granted him many duke titles that I had been keeping for myself, and after that, when I checked... voila! My court was full again, very crowded actually :D

Cool. That's another alternative. :)

Regarding culture, i'd rather try to convert the land.
Reasons ? Don't know anymore.
I think you earn less and have a higher revolt risk if your culture differs or you get a penalty on research, but i couldn't figure that out quickly enough.
Again i don't really remember.
I only recall turning Byzantion to german culture as capital of the HRE inmy last game. :D