• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Rodmar18

Lt. General
8 Badges
Sep 19, 2018
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Hello,

When I have plenty of gold, I tend to upgrade cities even if this is not really required, be it because they are not production cities, or they are superfluous cities. Upgrades that provide population and/or hapiness can be always useful because they make the city more resilient to harmful enemy city spells. Those providing gold and or mana are always welcome. Those providing research are useless in the very late game, when all research has been conducted. Those providing production depend on whether the city is producing something or not, obviously. It would be different if unused production capabilities were automatically converted into gold.

Harbor costs 100 g and is only useful for producing ships. Usually, it's not so useful to build a harbor on each coastal city, and often you only need one main production harbor (coupled with a Flowrock Quarry if possible) on open seas. However, in real world and other games, a harbor boosts economics and/or travel capabilities for the city or the empire that owns it. Note that the seafaring faction known as the Humans get a RG bonus for harbors.
Suggestion: every Harbor grants +25/50 pop and/or + 25/50 gold.

Arane Item Forge costs 250 resources, and more than one is barely needed. Though costly, they can boost the research however (+10/+15 Knowledge). What if all research has ben conducted? They are formidable gold sinks and totally useless then.
Suggestion: every Arcane Item Forge grants +5 Production (it's a forge!)

Fluksen

Major
16 Badges
Apr 28, 2018
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
Arcane item forge I also good to give heroes like Rogue or sorc a healing item. Or if your Druid is a monster in lategame with regrowth, tons of resistances and HP to forge an item with tireless making him a real monster :)

PkK

Captain
35 Badges
Feb 21, 2007
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
Harbor costs 100 g and is only useful for producing ships. Usually, it's not so useful to build a harbor on each coastal city, and often you only need one main production harbor (coupled with a Flowrock Quarry if possible) on open seas. However, in real world and other games, a harbor boosts economics and/or travel capabilities for the city or the empire that owns it. Note that the seafaring faction known as the Humans get a RG bonus for harbors.
Suggestion: every Harbor grants +25/50 pop and/or + 25/50 gold.
For Human, I tend to select the Economic Protector upgrade that makes harbours give +100 pop and +15 gold.

Rodmar18

Lt. General
8 Badges
Sep 19, 2018
That 's precisely what "wrongs" me a little: can't Human benefit from their harbours before/besides chosing this RG upgrade? Can't other factions use their harbor to trade and collect food? The little income I suggest shouldn't dwarf the Human RG Protector upgrade, however, nor lead to a blatant advantage when adding to it.

What if +25 pop & + 5 gold?

@Fluksen: yes, one forge is useful to actually forge items. We usually don't need to spend so much gold to build more. Perhpas a little incentive would satisfy the "empire building" lust of some of us?

xlnt

Corporal
9 Badges
Jun 15, 2018
  • Knights of Honor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Crusader Kings II
So who in this small world where everyone is fighting everyone else will give you 50 gold for fishes? Those fantasy folks can provide simple fishing for themselves and for free, this is not some grand single player town building game set in feudal made-up Europe (;
We tend to start killing each-other by turn 20 you know.. and towns mostly produce killing machines - a.k.a. - units :)

Rodmar18

Lt. General
8 Badges
Sep 19, 2018
I read you, xlnt, but it's not as if the Human RG upgrade wasn't exactly about this: to fish and trade for a population and gold bonus. The fact that Humans are the most devoted faction to sea environment, shouldn't prevent considering the Harbour as being more than a War Hall for ships. It could be half an economic building too, for any faction.

Rodmar18

Lt. General
8 Badges
Sep 19, 2018
25/50 gold for 1 harbor? Are you nuts?o_O
It is clearly exagerated, making Harbor more valuable than a handful of mines... However, what could be the least impacting, yet rewarding bonus? I persist in thinking that riverine and coastal cities should be a little wealthier, this for any faction.
+25 pop & +5 gold?

Not so out of topic, another incentive to build a harbour in a non-naval production coastal city could be that harbour repairs in-town ships a litttle (as I saw in a mod).

[EDIT]Balance Mod will grant Harbour a healing power for all allied boats in the town's domain: GC75. As for me, that makes a good incentive to build Harbours when you don't need them to produce units, and even to found coastal cities on strategic locations. I'd rather have them make boats in garrison benefiting from Masters's Guild and other healing powers on Machines, instead.[/EDIT]

Last edited: