• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You mean complain about the Spanish Flu vaccine spreading 5G.

Supply network better be spreading my smallpox, influenza, malaria, and yellow fever 5G.

If it doesn't, Victoria 4 when?

• 3Like
  • 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Praying 2 tha lord for a fun naval system.

I have never enjoyed my time with boats before in a Paradox GSG so I'm really really hoping this one can deliver. Probably won't know untl I actually get my hands on it, but looking forward to tomorrows DD nonetheless!!

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 11Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
You awake as the spanish flu. I ask you about the vaccine, yet you look down to see the 5G vibrations in the network. The universe dies. You are reborn. I hand you the Spanish flu, your dream ends.

More on-topic it's naval teaser time

• 6Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I didn’t say I disagreed with your last sentence. Of course you shouldn’t be able to change your taxes each week.
Imo, a compromise would be just add more buttons to the tax sliders so we get more finer control and granularity over our tax regime, and balancing the positive + negative effects of taxation ofc.

Imo, a compromise would be just add more buttons to the tax sliders so we get more finer control and granularity over our tax regime, and balancing the positive + negative effects of taxation ofc.
Yes, but what’s the difference between 10 or 20 buttons and a slider if not that visually it is easier to manipulate? The slider isn’t an end in itself, it’s a tool to display more choices.

Reactions:
I also have to say (sorry for the double post) that I don't understand where the distaste for sliders come at Paradox Interactive. I think it originally came from EUIII, a game in which policy changes were made to be done by sliders. The mechanic was that if you pushed a button ten times (one each 10 years) you could go from a completely naval focused nation to a completely land power based nation.

The mechanic wasn't loved because it was so static and didn't offer a lot of flavour (to me, since I like the idea of having a control to what your nation is at its core, it is still a better design than national ideas, though). But then from the conclusion that "sliders are bad", they seemed to apply the lesson for every other part of their games, including revenue (in Imperator and now Victoria 3). There never was a problem with maintenance sliders in EUIV and Victoria 2 had both maintenance sliders and taxation sliders.

While I can understand that maintenance sliders are often put at maximum or minimal value, with diminishing returns it might not always be a good idea for them to be at those positions. Thus there is some kind of strategic thinking involved in their operation.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I also have to say (sorry for the double post) that I don't understand where the distaste for sliders come at Paradox Interactive. I think it originally came from EUIII, a game in which policy changes were made to be done by sliders. The mechanic was that if you pushed a button ten times (one each 10 years) you could go from a completely naval focused nation to a completely land power based nation.

The mechanic wasn't loved because it was so static and didn't offer a lot of flavour (to me, since I like the idea of having a control to what your nation is at its core, it is still a better design than national ideas, though). But then from the conclusion that "sliders are bad", they seemed to apply the lesson for every other part of their games, including revenue (in Imperator and now Victoria 3). There never was a problem with maintenance sliders in EUIV and Victoria 2 had both maintenance sliders and taxation sliders.

While I can understand that maintenance sliders are often put at maximum or minimal value, with diminishing returns it might not always be a good idea for them to be at those positions. Thus there is some kind of strategic thinking involved in their operation.
The problem is that they set sliders to minimum, which disabled the slider-slider, now their only options for sliders are buttons saying "none" and "all", so they're stuck with none.

The problem is that they set sliders to minimum, which disabled the slider-slider, now their only options for sliders are buttons saying "none" and "all", so they're stuck with none.
There was this event where the general asked about an increase in the military budget. Perhaps the buttons also serve to make taxes more political: events and time delays for changes.

Reactions:
Nov. 23 - New York
The 19th century was a golden age for New York, the City was the entry port for immigrants of Europe and saw itself grow into the millions. The state was as well an industrial powerhouse during the industrialization of America with even one of the earliest hydroelectric plants.
FEzBLscXMAQDgjM.jpg
FEzBLsaWUAYJGj0.png
FEzBLsmXMAE5Tla.png
FEzBLsdXoAAC2o1.png

• 5Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
The map terrain is really good but city placement is still a mess.
Also not a fan of traits that aren’t tied to natural ressources.

In a sense potential sites for hyrdo power plants and large natural harbours and river estuaries are a natural resource. E.g. I suspect River Clyde in Scotland (historical shipbuilding centre) will also get shipyard output, and I think we already saw Inland Sea in Japan giving one too.

Reactions:
I dont know if I am that keen on states giving modifiers to finished good production though with the shipyard bonuses in particular. Natural resources abolutely, but something as complex as shipbuilding? That sort of thing I feel should come from mechanics.

• 5Like
Reactions:
In a sense potential sites for hyrdo power plants and large natural harbours and river estuaries are a natural resource. E.g. I suspect River Clyde in Scotland (historical shipbuilding centre) will also get shipyard output, and I think we already saw Inland Sea in Japan giving one too.

Yes, it’s why i found odd to name the trait « NY harbor » instead of « Hudson bay/estuary ».
Also it’s weird that Niagara falls give a broad electricity output even if you only have coal fired power station.

• 1Like
Reactions: