• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Caeserion

Major
64 Badges
Nov 21, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Magicka
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
Gᴇɴᴇʀɪᴄ Uᴘɢʀᴀᴅᴇs:
  • Exclude the Tavern upgrade from Great Temples for all religions except Slavic, Romuva, Norse, and Suomensko and for them rename it Mead Hall
  • Exclude Torture Chamber from Gardens and Library because why would they be there? University at least you can say that its so scholars can study anatomy or something
  • Exclude Spikes and Heating Pipes for Gardens. Why are there spikes in a garden? And how will heating pipes help? Its open air
  • Exclude Spikes from University and Library as well. Spikes should also not be available for Great Temples for Hindus, Buddhists, and any religion that picks peaceful/harmonious.
  • Add generic upgrade "Fancy Pavilion" (probably could use a better name though) available to all except Great Fortress and Wall. Hosts guests, knights, petitioners, and dignitaries, provides +0.05 prestige and +2 vassal opinion.

Gʀᴇᴀᴛ Tᴇᴍᴘʟᴇ ꜰᴏʀ Jᴀɪɴs:

• Call it a Tirtha (technically a term for any temple that is sufficiently old and grand enough but it works here)
  • Upgrades:-
    • Manastambha - a large pillar in front of the temple, often with four divine figures looking in each cardinal direction.
    • Temple Complex - larger Jain temples usually have smaller temples dedicated to other figures in Jain mythology
    • Tirthankara Statues - Jain temples usually have multiple statues of all 24 Tirthankaras (gurus), along with other religious figures. These statues are usually always seated.
    • Monolithic Statue - Jain temples (especially in the south) sometimes have a large free-standing monolithic statue in the center to worship.
    • Samavasarana - In Jain mythology this is the preaching hall of the Tirthankaras. The hall itself is not built in the temple, a representation of it is. For this great work one can build a life-size version (usually it is inside one room)
    • Shikharbaddha - superstructures with towers pinnacles and domes and often built of carved marble, sandstone, or other stone
  • Allow pilgrimages to these Great Temples if possible.
  • Do not allow building of spikes, torture chamber, or watchtower network.
I have only provided what could be built and not what effects they would give because those would be subject to balance and testing anyway so devs have to decide that.

Gʀᴇᴀᴛ Tᴇᴍᴘʟᴇ:

• Make it available to Zoroastrians, and Taoists. Bon should also be able build it while unreformed given the level of development in Tibet.
    • Taoists should not be able to build the Sacrificial Altar, Spikes, or Watchtower Network (if giving them the generic great temple)
  • Custodian of X title should give either
    • reduced maintenance cost for further upgrades AND give the vassal who has it +5 opinion (restrict the holder to a same religion, baron+ level vassal or a powerful vassal in realm) with everyone or
    • a 1% change in religious authority if the vassal holding it is pious/good or not (title restricted to theocratic govt, waived for muslims, scorned vassals will get upset for not getting it themselves)
  • Eternal Flame should be moved here instead of Mausoleum. Gives opinion bonus for Zunists and Zoroastrians
  • Solar Chariot - only for Zunists. Based on the solar boat myth archetype. Statue of the Solar Chariot being driven by seven white horses.

Rᴜʟᴇʀ Sᴛᴀᴛᴜᴇ:

• Upgrade "Wall of Heroes" - a wall built next to/near the statue to immortalise the heroes of the realm, gives either reduced revolt risk (because commoners names are going up) or vassal opinion (cause their name is going up)

Gʀᴀɴᴅ Fᴏʀᴛʀᴇss:

• Make Grand Stable Upgrade available to Fortress but change it so it gives Heavy and Light Cavalry
  • Add upgrade "Archery Range", giving some amount of archers
  • Add upgrade "Recruitment Field" giving increased levy and levy reinforcement
  • Remove upgrade Watchtower - Watchtower Network already exists
  • Add events for Dueling Room to increase Dueling Experience
  • Add upgrade "Training Field" giving retinue maintenance decrease and/or more retinue cap
  • Move Soaring Fortress upgrade from Great Walls to here

Uɴᴅᴇʀɢʀᴏᴜɴᴅ Cɪᴛʏ:

• Make minor title "Guardian of the Deep" increase tax (because someone is managing it now) but also give the holder of the minor title +1 stewardship (or give them more income)

Gʀᴇᴀᴛ Wᴀʟʟs:

• Walker of the Wall minor title holder now gets buffs to their martial skill over time (can only be given to landed powerful vassal). Gives you special decision to reduce garrison by half to call an army at that province.

Gʀᴇᴀᴛ Hᴀʀʙᴏᴜʀ:

• Add upgrade "Defensive chain" - can raise a chain across the mouth of the harbour, increasing siege defence
  • Add upgrade "Trade Repository", storing trade documents, reducing inefficiency in taxation, thereby increasing tax revenue.

Gʀᴇᴀᴛ Lɪɢʜᴛʜᴏᴜsᴇ:

• Add upgrade "Trade Repository", storing trade documents, reducing inefficiency in taxation, thereby increasing tax revenue.
  • Add upgrade "Safe Harbour" - the lighthouse has made it safer for ships to dock, attracting trade. Increases trade value.
  • Add upgrade "Bells" from Great Cathedral. The lighthouse can spot enemies from farther away, giving the city more time to prepare.

Gʀᴀɴᴅ Aᴍᴘʜɪᴛʜᴇᴀᴛᴇʀ:

• Add upgrade "Barbaric Games". Must be cruel and/or have high kill list to build but not to use. Can execute prisoners by throwing them in the ring and making them fight against animals. Gives reduced revolt risk. Will give an opinion penalty for peaceful religions. Requires "Animal Cages"
  • Add upgrade "Heroic Statue". Can build statue of a hero at the entrance, giving increased vassal opinion.

Rᴏʏᴀʟ Pᴀʟᴀᴄᴇ:

• Disable minor title for Byzantine and Roman Empires since they have a imperial custodian equivalent.
  • Add upgrade "Palatial Dining Hall". Host banquets here. Gives increased vassal opinion, fat opinion, and gluttonous opinion
  • Add upgrade "Royal Library". Scholar opinion bonus and +1 learning OR can equip another book
  • Add upgrade "Royal Gardens". Gardener opinion bonus, +1 health, herbs?
  • Enable building of upgrade "Hidden Passageways"
  • Add upgrade "Royal Court" - the state bureaucracy is increasingly working from the palace of the king, making communication more efficient between departments and the king. Increased tax or stewardship

Gʀᴀɴᴅ Mᴀᴜsᴏʟᴇᴜᴍ:

• Disabled for all religions that cremate - Hindus, Jains and Buddhists. Zunists also maybe since they are influenced by Zoroastrians and Indian religions a lot
  • Taoist-only upgrade "Servant Burial" - great men and women are buried with their servants to serve them in the afterlife. Gives prestige
  • Add upgrade "Warrior statues" - statues of warriors protect the residents of the mausoleum in the style of the Terracotta Warriors. Gives prestige.

Hɪsᴛᴏʀɪᴄᴀʟ:

• Replace Apostolic Palace in Rome with Grand Ampitheater (Colosseum) in a damaged state. This allows pagans and other religions to use it.
  • Currently Konark Sun Temple is at stage 4 even in 769, 500 years before it was built
  • The temple at Sravanbelagola (already a holy site for Jains in-game) has a 58m tall free-standing monolithic statue of Bahubali built in 983 and was only surpassed in height in 2016. This could be a candidate for a wonder.

Mɪsᴄᴇʟʟᴀɴᴇᴏᴜs:

• All minor title upgrades should have increased cost but should be built much quicker. Its just an administrative change for the most part.
  • Tie in Great Cathedrals/Temples as part of the pilgrimage chain if possible

I like all your suggestions. I would especially love to see statues of religious figures expanded on. The statue of Bahubali is a perfect example.

I don't know when they were built but I believe there were giant statues of bhudda around eastern part of the middle east.

After a lengthy play session building multiple Great Works, I've got a couple of suggestions to add to that list of yours!

*Tweak "Great Pyramid" building requirements so that rulers of Coptic culture can build/repair them as well.

*Nerf the "Traps" upgrade for the "Great Pyramid" so that it doesn't automatically fire whenever the ruler dies (in my last game it got to the point where TEN courtiers or vassals would be killed every time the ruler died; almost always including the wife or child of the new ruler), instead make it that the event only sometimes fires, and the chances of it firing can be decreased if a loyal vassal holds the Overseer of the Rites title.

*Due to their similarity in overall function and a present inability to have more than one Great Work in a single province (see below), merge "Grand Fortress" and "Great Walls" into a single "Grand Fortifications" that uses the Grand Fortress imagery and which can represent either large city walls, or a particularly formidable castle within said city (if used for Rome, for instance, this would allow for the Aurelian Walls and Castel Sant'Angelo to be represented by the same thing). Similarly, merge "Great Harbour" and "Great Lighthouse", since one of those wouldn't be much use without the other.

*Alter the name and features accessible to "Underground Cities" so that they can also represent monolithic churches (such as Bete Giyorgis in Ethiopia) or cave monasteries (such as Vardzia in Georgia).

*Add "Great Monolith" as a building type, representing things such as Obelisks (from Egyptian-inspired ones to the Stelas of Ethiopia) and Runestones.

*Add more Great Works overall to the game (I don't actually have a full list of recommendations for this, but I believe some of the examples I've listed above would be a good start).

*Add the ability to remove Features (in my last game, by the time I captured the House of Wisdom in Baghdad, the AI had wasted all eight building slots on Generic Features, which I would have removed if I had the chance), and also add a different background colour to Unique Features so that it's more obvious which elements you should prioritize.

*Expand the looting mechanic in such a way that it allows for Great Works to be destroyed if desired (both allowing the AI to replicate the historic destruction of the House of Wisdom, and also allowing a player to demolish a Great Work if they decide they want to build another in its place). I'd propose an event fires with four options whenever the Loot button is pressed;
**Option 1: "Grab anything that's not nailed down!" - Grants at least 300 gold, damages the Great Work, and drops the current level by one.
**Option 2: "Thoroughly sack the site!" - Grants at least 500 gold, damages the Great Work, destroys at least one feature, and drops the current level by one.
**Option 3: "Raze it to the ground!" - Grants at least 800 gold, destroys the Great Work completely (which creates an event notification), and adds 5-10% Threat.
**Option 4: "I've changed my mind; spare it!" - The Great Work is left alone.

*Remove the building icons for the Great Pyramids and Petra, as a previous update added miniature representations of them to the map already and thus there's a double up.

*With the three of the surviving Seven Wonders of the Ancient World already present in game, add a special event (probably only for Hellenic players) that fires after a while if the player owns Athenai (site of the Statue of Zeus), Rhodos (site of the Colossus of Rhodes), Ephesos (site of the Temple of Artemis) or Mosul (houses Nineveh, which is considered by some historians to have been the site of the gardens that inspired tales of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon), and allows the player to start rebuilding the appropriate wonder.

*Either tweak or remove the modifier that increases the cost of Great Works if one already exists, but offset this by making it that all positive benefits of the building only affect the person holding the county. There's a number of reasons for this; it allows for a far higher number of Great Works to be added to the game overall (not just those already present when the game starts; this would make it easier for the AI to build them) and it ensures that a player doesn't suddenly find building costs going through the roof because a vassal invaded a neighbouring state and annexed a Great Work (besides, there'd potentially be room for extra strategy if you have to surrender a Great Work and all the benefits it provides to a vassal because your demesne count is too high, or because you want to build something else and you either don't have the space or you want to bring the build time down). It also allows for more creativity overall (for instance, a Roman player could put Ampitheatres everywhere as a part of their restoration of the Roman Empire, and as suggested above, a player could choose to restore the Seven Wonders of the World within their realm) without breaking the game in the process by making a single ruler stupidly overpowered...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With regards to the issue of only one Great Work being available per province, Eustreptospondy sums up the problem with this perfectly on a separate thread (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ple-great-works-in-the-same-province.1165841/), and Hairy_Monkey also pointed out that at the moment it's impossible for a player in Egypt to rebuild the famous Library of Alexandria because the Lighthouse is already occupying the county.
Now I ask this because of such notable cities like Constantinople (Hagia Sophia as a Great Cathedral Wonder, the Theodosian Walls as the Great Walls Wonder, the Hippodrome as the Grand Amphitheater Wonder, the Great Palace of Constantinople as the Royal Palace Wonder, the Golden Horn as the Great Habor Wonder, and whatever else I've been missing), Rome (Apostolic Palace already existing, Colloseum as the Grand Amphitheater Wonder, Castel Sant'Angelo/Hadrians Tomb either as the Grand Fortress Wonder or the Grand Mausoleum Wonder, and the tons of major gardens in and around Rome as the Magnificient Gardens Wonder) and Venice (Great Habor Wonder for obvious reasons, St Marc's Basilica a Great Cathedral Wonder, the Doge's Palace as the Royal Palace Wonder, and whatever else I've been missing).
Each of these example cities obviously has easily the potential for more than one wonder and probably even as easily the potential for more than three. So I can understand that these Great Works could lead to provinces with insane stats. But let's be honest, these cities were as legendary as they are for a reason.

Another thought suddenly springs to mind that could be a way of getting around locations that historically have multiple Great Works; add something like a "Great/Eternal City" type that can't be built by the player, and which has various unique features combined into one...so that way, Constantinople has a modifier representing the walls, the Hagia Sophia and the Great Palace, while Rome has something similar with the Colosseum in place of the Hagia Sophia...and perhaps there could even be an option to let the player focus on just one of these elements in particular rather and thus update the image and type. Alternatively, key locations could have events tied to them which add custom unique features, like a "Library" that gets added to the Lighthouse of Alexandria and which has some of the perks associated with the Great Library, but which otherwise can't be added to another Great Work...

Tweak "Great Pyramid" building requirements so that rulers of Coptic culture can build/repair them as well.
Didn't know it was blocked for them, I agree they should be allowed to make it.

Nerf the "Traps" upgrade for the "Great Pyramid" so that it doesn't automatically fire whenever the ruler dies (in my last game it got to the point where TEN courtiers or vassals would be killed every time the ruler died; almost always including the wife or child of the new ruler), instead make it that the event only sometimes fires, and the chances of it firing can be decreased if a loyal vassal holds the Overseer of the Rites title.
Yeah I read some things about that. It would also be cool if the Overseer of Rites would try to entrap people he did not like too.

Due to their similarity in overall function and a present inability to have more than one Great Work in a single province (see below), merge "Grand Fortress" and "Great Walls" into a single "Grand Fortifications" that uses the Grand Fortress imagery and which can represent either large city walls, or a particularly formidable castle within said city (if used for Rome, for instance, this would allow for the Aurelian Walls and Castel Sant'Angelo to be represented by the same thing). Similarly, merge "Great Harbour" and "Great Lighthouse", since one of those wouldn't be much use without the other.
I'm leery of this because it would make the combined great work too OP imo. We already have unofficial tiers among the great works, this would solidify it.

Add the ability to remove Features
Very much needed, along with the ability to destroy great works.

Remove the building icons for the Great Pyramids and Petra, as a previous update added miniature representations of them to the map already and thus there's a double up
Rather than removing the icons for the Great Works, just remove the map models that were added previously.

Another thought suddenly springs to mind that could be a way of getting around locations that historically have multiple Great Works; add something like a "Great/Eternal City" type that can't be built by the player, and which has various unique features combined into one...so that way, Constantinople has a modifier representing the walls, the Hagia Sophia and the Great Palace, while Rome has something similar with the Colosseum in place of the Hagia Sophia...and perhaps there could even be an option to let the player focus on just one of these elements in particular rather and thus update the image and type. Alternatively, key locations could have events tied to them which add custom unique features, like a "Library" that gets added to the Lighthouse of Alexandria and which has some of the perks associated with the Great Library, but which otherwise can't be added to another Great Work...
I love it. Historical Great Works represented by a unique type of Great Work that cannot be built. Additionally, Rome's unique building should be in ruins with a high cost to rebuild and Constantinople's should be in ruins after 1204/whenever the Fourth Crusade event fires and succeeds. I do worry that they would be too OP but that can be taken care of with careful balancing of upgrades and perks.

I'm leery of this because it would make the combined great work too OP imo. We already have unofficial tiers among the great works, this would solidify it.
Oh, I figure if the two were merged, it'd be nerfed to make sure it's not too powerful compared to the other works...and remember, even if it has the combined features of both, the player can still only build eight of those features, so it's not like it'll be one building with the features of two works.
In fact, looking at the Wiki for it, the base effect of the Great Walls and Grand Fortress are exactly the same (while the Great Lighthouse and Great Harbour are similar enough) and some of the features seem better suited for other Great Works (for instance, Treasure Chamber and Royal Apartments seem a bit silly for a lighthouse, while Sea Walls and Artificial Islands seem like they should be features for a Great Harbour rather than a Great Wall).

I love it. Historical Great Works represented by a unique type of Great Work that cannot be built. Additionally, Rome's unique building should be in ruins with a high cost to rebuild and Constantinople's should be in ruins after 1204/whenever the Fourth Crusade event fires and succeeds. I do worry that they would be too OP but that can be taken care of with careful balancing of upgrades and perks.
Thanks! :)
I think only a few locations would really qualify for something like this...probably Rome, Constantinople and Jerusalem at the very start of the game, and perhaps Venice after a while (and I'd also say Alexandria so that a Coptic/Egyptian player can restore the Library, but that'd be a unique decision only available if the player is rich and independent or something), so that should prevent it from getting out of hand. Perhaps there could also be an event that fires for a player to turn their capital into something like this after a while, but it only fires if you're ruling an Empire and have a stupidly high income or something, or if you're powerful and control a historic site that DID end up famous for multiple things so that it's SUPER rare...

I'm currently looking over lists of historic sites and famous buildings to assess other candidates for Great Works in-game (for instance, about eight of the largest Hindu Temples on the planet are located within the province of Cholamandalam, and the four underground cities of Cappadocia all fall within the borders of Nyssa; both of these would be valid Great Works from the 769 start date), and one thing that's sprung to mind is that it might be worth adding a new wonder type that can't be built (unless you've got Roman culture), but exists in several locations across the map..."Roman Ruin", which could be used for places like Leptis Magna, Baalbek or Jerash...buildable features on it could represent Temples, Amphitheatres, Hippodromes, Baths, etc (so that there won't need to be multiple ruin types, and also so someone who's playing as the Roman Empire can build multiple things of note in a single province...effectively it could replace the Great Amphitheatre) and there could perhaps also be a couple of features for non-Roman culture groups that represent converting the location into something else...for instance, the Amphitheatre of Thysdrus was used as a fortress throughout the centuries, and the Amphitheatre at Arles was turned into a small town (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ArlesGuibert.JPG)!

Okay, it took quite a bit of mulling over, but here's what I've come up with for a potential rework of the Great Works system completely. Apologies if it's a bit confusing; I might need to add some extra notes...

BASIC NOTES
* All minor titles are included with each Great Work from the earliest stage of construction.
* Nomads and Tribals can build cheaper versions of certain Great Works - Barrows instead of Mausoleums, Stone Circles instead of Great Temples, Great Tent instead of Royal Palace, etc - with fewer upgrades and features, but these become useless upon switching to any other government type.
* "(Loc.)" indicates a feature name would change depending on culture or faith, but I hadn't decided upon an appropriate title at the time of writing.
* "(Event Determined)" indicates that an event would fire after selecting this upgrade that allows the player to choose from exclusive variations with different perks - for instance, selecting "Moat" for Great Fortifications would then allow a player to select whether their moat is full of water, spikes, skulls, etc.

GENERIC FEATURES: Can't be built if there's a corresponding feature already in the Great Work (for instance, Great Roads and Roman Roads).
* Great Roads: +10 Movement
* Watchtower Network: +5 Defence, +10 Levy Size
* Spikes: +5 Defence, Execution
* Retinue: +1 Supply, +10 Garrison, +5 Organisation, Retinue
* Hypocausts: +3 Disease Resistance, +0.02 Prestige
* Historic Mural: +5 Morale, +3 Dynasty/+5 Vassal (Event)
* Inn/Caravanserai: +5 Tax
* Royal Apartments: +3 Sex Appeal, +5 Fertility

GREAT CITY: +1 Prestige and Piety when fully upgraded.
Can only be built in a capital province by a player with an Empire-tier title and a large amount of cash. Only one Great City allowed per realm. If a Great Work already exists in the Capital province, a Decision will allow the player to convert it into a Great City, automatically gaining the corresponding Unique Feature.
ONLY these upgrades are available (and base cost is two/three times as high as a normal upgrade). Starting Great Cities will have renamed features corresponding with historic sites - for instance, in Constantinople, Great Temple would be "Hagia Sophia", Great Fortifications would be "Theodosian Walls", Catacombs would be "Basilica Cistern", etc.

* Royal Palace: +1000 Retinue Size, +0.5 Prestige and +3 Morale
* Great Temple: +0.5 Prestige and +0.5 Piety
* Great Fortifications: +1 Fort Level, +0.5 Prestige, +10 Siege
* Great Harbour: +15 Tax, +100 Trade, +0.5 Prestige, -5 Build Cost
* Great University: +0.5 Culture, Economy and Military Points, +5 Spread, +0.5 Prestige, +5 Scholar
* Catacombs (Underground Cities): +0.5 Prestige, +10 Defense
* Monuments (Statues & Mausoleums): -2 Revolt, +1 Prestige
* Ancient Sites (Ruins & Stone Circles): -5 Revolt, +5 Prestige (and +5 Piety)

ROYAL PALACE: +1000 Retinue Size, +0.5 Prestige and +3 Morale when fully upgraded.
Several Garden upgrades may remove the Stressed trait.
(INTERIOR/PALACE THEMED)
* Grand Furnishings: +1 Prestige/+0.5 Prestige, +20 Cruel (Event Determined)
* Chapel (Loc.): +0.5 Piety, +5 Zealous
* Private Study: +5 Scholar, +1 Learning
* Torture Chambers: +10 Arrest, +10 Cruel, Execution
* Hidden Passageways: +5 Assassination, +5 Plot Defence, Artifact Safety
(EXTERIOR/GARDEN THEMED)
* Fountains and Statues: +0.05 Prestige, +5 Poet, +5 Plot Defence (Fountain of Youth Event)
* Hanging Gardens: +0.1 Prestige, +5 Gardener
* Exotic Flowers: +0.1 Health & Herbs/+5 Plot Power Increase (Event Determined)
* Vineyard: +10 Drunkard, Send Alcohol
* Royal Forest: +5 Hunter, +3 Combat (+5 Kind and +0.1 Health if Jain)

GREAT TEMPLE: +0.5 Prestige & Piety when fully upgraded.
Title variations so far include Church (Christian), Mosque (Muslim), Synagogue (Israelite), Temple (Pagan), Wat (Buddhist), Mandira (Hindu) and Teocalli (Aztec) - more to eventually come as more research is done.
If ownership of a Great Temple switches from one faith to another, a decision will become available to the new holder to convert the Temple and all features to the equivalent of their faith - hence why the types of upgrade and their perks are the same across faiths.

* "Tower" (Belltower/Minaret/Tallest Building/Great Tower/Gompa/Gopuram/Superstructure): +10 Defence, +2 Same Religion, Increased Conv.
* "Courtyard" (Cloister/Sahn/Outer Wall and Open Garden/Sacred Grove/Bodhi Tree/Mandapa/Tzompantli): +10 Organisation, +5 Disease Resistance, -2 Revolt
* "Artwork" (Icons/Calligraphy/Elaborate Decor/Statue of a God/???/???/Stele): +2 Same Religion, +5 Temple Vassal
* "Shrine" (Shrine/Qubba/Holy Ark/Inner Sanctuary/Chaitya(Stupa)/Garbhagriha/Additional Shrines): +0.5 Piety, -2 Revolt, +5 Zealous, Artifact Safety
* "School" (Cathedral School/Madrasa/Yeshiva/Academy/Vihara/Gurukula(Calai)/Calmecac): -1 Revolt, +5 Scholar, Increased Conv. and Learning

GREAT FORTIFICATIONS: +1 Fort Level, +0.5 Prestige, +10 Siege
(WALLS)
* Moat: +5 Siege, Execute (Event Determined)
* Hidden Gates: +10 Siege
* Deep Defence Architecture: +10 Siege
* Studded Bastions: +150 Archers, +5 Siege
* Gatehouse Forts: +150 Archers, +5 Siege
* Strategic Enclaves: +5 Tax, +3 City Vassal, Max Walls
(ROOMS)
* Citadel: +5 Defence, +10 Levy
* Training Courtyard: +10 Organisation
* Duelling Room: +3 Combat, +5 Brave
* Armory: +100 Heavy Infantry, Improved Smithcraft
* Soaring Fortresses: +100 Heavy Infantry, +5 Siege, Arrest
* Staged Killing Fields: +100 Archers, +10 Siege

GREAT HARBOUR: +15 Tax, +100 Trade, +0.5 Prestige, -5 Build Cost when fully upgraded.
Appears in Egypt under the name "Lighthouse of Alexandria".
* Cothon: +0.5 Supply Limit, +10 Siege
* Expanded Piers: +10 Tax, +0.25 Supply, +30 Trade Value
* Lighthouse: +5 Tax, +0.25 Supply, +30 Trade Value
* Military Wharf/Arsenal: +50 Galleys, +15 Siege Speed
* Sea Walls/Harbour Chain: +20 Defence, +5 City Vassal
* Artificial Islands/Polder: +5 Tax, +10 Siege

* Library of Alexandria:
+0.5 Culture, Economy and Military Points, +5 Spread, +0.5 Prestige, +5 Scholar (Coptic)

GREAT UNIVERSITY: +0.5 Culture, Economy and Military Points, +5 Spread, +0.5 Prestige, +5 Scholar when fully upgraded.
Only buildable once technology level has reached Level 4.
* Wing of History: +0.05 Martial, +5 Military Spread, +1 Military
* Wing of Poetry: +0.05 Culture, +5 Culture Spread, +1 Diplomacy
* Wing of Mathematics: +0.05 Economy, +5 Economy Spread, +1 Stewardship
* Wing of (Natural) Philosophy: +0.05 Martial, +5 Military Spread, +1 Intrigue
* Wing of Rhetoric: +0.05 Culture, +5 Culture Spread, +1 Learning
* Scribe Room: +0.05 Economy, +5 Economy Spread, +10 Technology Spread

UNDERGROUND CITY: +0.5 Prestige, +10 Defense when fully upgraded.
* Expanded Caverns: +10 Plot
* Travel Tunnels: +10 Speed
* Precious Metal Mines: +10 Tax
* Dungeon: +10 Arrest
* Cistern: +2.5 Disease Resistance
* Necropolis: +3 Dynasty, +5 Proud
* Monastery (Loc.): +0.5 Piety, +5 Zealous
* Hidden Room: Artifact Safety

GIANT STATUE: -1 Short Reign/+2 Same Religion/+10 Horse (Event Determined) & +1 Prestige, -2 Revolt when fully upgraded.
Event fires upon construction where you choose what type of statue it'll be; Ruler Statue, Religious Statue or Horse Statue.
* Plating: +0.1-0.3 Prestige (Event Determined)
* Additional Statues: +3 Dynasty/+5 Temple Vassal/+5 Kind (Event Determined)
* Golden Crown: +3 Vassal

*Necropolis: +3 Dynasty, +5 Proud (Ruler Statue)
*Monastery: (Loc.) +0.5 Piety, +5 Zealous (Religious Statue)
*Grand Stable: +5 Cavalry and Archers (Horse Statue)

GRAND MAUSOLEUM/GREAT PYRAMID: -1 Revolt, +1 Prestige, +3 Dynasty when fully upgraded.
* Statues of Dead/Necropolis: +0.05 Prestige, +3 Dynasty
* Mythological Beast: +2 Same Religion, +5 Proud
* Eternal Flame: -5 Revolt Risk, +5 Zunist & Mazdan
* Traps: Kills random invaders (and courtiers if corresponding Title not assigned before death)
* Pet Graveyard: +5 Children

* Quadriga Statue/Casing: +0.05 Prestige, +0.01 Piety (Roman/Hellenic)
* Horse Graveyard: +5 Horse (Lunatic)

ROMAN RUINS/ANCIENT RUINS: -5 Revolt and +0.5 Prestige when fully upgraded.
(Only buildable by Romans/Hellenics)
* Amphitheatre/Hippodrome: +0.10 Prestige, +5 Cavalry, +5 Hunter, Recruit Gladiators, Execution
* Theatre Stage: +0.05 Prestige, +5 Poet
* Thermae/Aqueducts: +2.5 Disease Resistance
(Buildable by any cultures/religions)
* Triumphal Arch/Column: +0.5 Prestige, +5 Proud, +3 Dynasty
* Roman/Old Walls: +5 Defence, +10 Levy
* Roman/Old Roads: +10 Movement, +5 Tax
* Shrines: +0.5 Piety, +5 Zealous
(Not buildable by Romans/Hellenics)
* Fortress: +5 Defence, +10 Levy

STONE CIRCLE: +0.5 Prestige & Piety when fully upgraded. (Tribal/Nomadic or Pagan)
* Runestones: +3 Dynasty
* Additional Circles: +2 Same Religion
* Tumulus: Artifact Safety, +3 Dynasty
* Sacrificial Altar: -5 Revolt, +5 Zealous

Last edited: