• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Astro said:
But would I have been just a little bit less patient, I would have dumped the whole thing altogether due to unfair starting conditions for the first-time player (no manual, no tutorial, no support).
And no. The manual for E3 is not anywhere in the depths of EU3 bundle package neither on the disks, nor on HD. I searched.

On my EU3-complete package CD there are 3 manuals in pdf format, one for EU3, one for NA and one for IN

Also what do you mean with no support, there is a whole forum dedicated to this game, where you can get all the support that you want.

The only things that don't work are the tutorials and the lead producer of the game, Johan, has already acknowledged in this thread that it was an oversight.

Last edited:
Veldmaarschalk said:
Also what do you mean with no support, there is a whole forum dedicated to this game, where you can get all the support that you want.
Of course he can't see the bug and support forums since he hasn't registered EU3. :)

jdrou said:
Of course he can't see the bug and support forums since he hasn't registered EU3. :)
Yes, that's right. Sorry, comrades, that I keep returning to that issue, but in the recent russia's english-language release of EU3:IN (which is a de-facto EU3 Complete plus IN) there's only one registration code - for IN, but not for EU3.
I am not whining about it, as someone suggested above, but I'm just doing this hoping that in the next patch this situation gets resolved, and the players in Russia who bought Russia-released complete english-language EU3+IN bundle would get the proper backing - manual for EU3 as well as for IN, and registration codes that work for EU3 as well as for IN.

I am grateful to the game for its immensive scale and quality, but after I experienced extreme difficulties few days ago, I'd rather "whine" a little more, hoping to ensure that fellow new players from my country who bought "EU3 Complete plus IN" would some day possibly get all the needed tools -two manuals so they could learn both original game and addon, two codes so they could register properly, etc.

Last edited:
Astro said:
Yes, that's right. Sorry, comrades, that I keep returning to that issue, but in the recent russia's english-language release of EU3:IN (which is a de-facto EU3 Complete plus IN) there's only one registration code - for IN, but not for EU3.
I am not whining about it, as someone suggested above, but I'm just doing this hoping that in the next patch this situation gets resolved, and the players in Russia who bought Russia-released complete english-language EU3+IN bundle would get the proper backing - manual for EU3 as well as for IN, and registration codes that work for EU3 as well as for IN.

I am grateful to the game for its immensive scale and quality, but after I experienced extreme difficulties few days ago, I'd rather "whine" a little more, hoping to ensure that fellow new players from my country who bought "EU3 Complete plus IN" would some day possibly get all the needed tools -two manuals so they could learn both original game and addon, two codes so they could register properly, etc.

Sorry, I didn't know you had the Russian version. But then again you didn't say that before

The missing manuals and registrationcode is a fault by the Russian distributor not by Paradox. The Spanish and Hungarians distributors also failed to provide the correct registrationcode, but there the players can sent an e-mail to the distributor who then provides them with a correct registration-key.

Have you tried contacting the local distributor ?

Veldmaarschalk said:
Sorry, I didn't know you had the Russian version. But then again you didn't say that before

The missing manuals and registrationcode is a fault by the Russian distributor not by Paradox. The Spanish and Hungarians distributors also failed to provide the correct registrationcode, but there the players can sent an e-mail to the distributor who then provides them with a correct registration-key.

Have you tried contacting the local distributor ?

I did contact the russian distributor, but alas, it seems, that they haven't been issued the EU3 codes to give to players for that bundled release. They, naturally, cannot generate or issue the codes they haven't been authorised to issue. So it seems to be a miscommunication matter between Paradox and our local distributor. This should have been managed at the publisher/distributor level, but it seems it wasn't, so this is why I'm hoping to draw attention to that matter to get it straighthened out.

At that, I'd like to stress, that our local support (snowball.ru) was extremely helpful in overcoming bug issues and timely (and with proper excuses) have provided me with the patchfix. It's just that they cannot possiby issue the codes they haven't been authorised to give. As well as the manuals - they just havent been properly authorised to give away EU3 vanilla manual, so they don't.

And again - this is not the Russian version I'm playing (hence the confusion, I gather). It's a complete original English-language version of EU3+IN released in Russia for those who'd rather avoid "translatid" version and play the original-language pack instead.

Last edited:
I know this is no solution but I learnt the game by just hopping in, reading forums and the EUwiki so it's possible to get by without reading the manual first. (Although I had played a Paradox game before so knew what to expect)

CzarKirk said:
I know this is no solution but I learnt the game by just hopping in, reading forums and the EUwiki so it's possible to get by without reading the manual first. (Although I had played a Paradox game before so knew what to expect)
Yes, you are right, and I got by just by doing that. I've already done the "Finish Reconquista" mission twice. But I am thinking about those new users who might have such difficulties, such as I had few days ago, when I was almost about to drop the game and get the money back. I'd rather have this straightened out and spare the others who could come after me, the frustration I had, which in the end of the day would just benefit the game and the community and the whole thing.

Astro said:
Yes, you are right, and I got by just by doing that. I've already done the "Finish Reconquista" mission twice. But I am thinking about those new users who might have such difficulties, such as I had few days ago, when I was almost about to drop the game and get the money back. I'd rather have this straightened out and spare the others who could come after me, the frustration I had, which in the end of the day would just benefit the game and the community and the whole thing.

Astro, thanks for this. I just spent my saturday morning searching yahoo/google for answers to why my Tutorials on the Complete installation of EU3 keep crashing. After hours of re-installing the game, re-installing video drivers, and going through the "General Troubleshooting" items- after all that, I finally settled on the magical Yahoo (not goog, go figure) query that got me to this thread. It turns out that I was needlessly futzing around with drivers....These tutorials were never going to work.

Mods: Might I recommend stickying this, or a similar thread? It makes no sense to have your customers running around, monkeying with the innards of an already brittle OS, when nothing they do will change the behavior of the Tutorials. The only thing worse than frustration is frustration to no good ends.

Despite the odd logic of some posters, we all know that bundles like Complete are specifically intended for new users- who never bought the game and initial expansions. A sizable number of your new customers are going to start this game, see the "Tutorials" section and start there. And as a person who has been in software for quite awhile, I can guarantee you that this experience is going to harm the brand of EU, not just the experience around this one bundle. ("EU 4 is out? Man I couldn't even get through the Tutorials of the last one. No Thanks.")

To further address the concerns of others, I haven't a problem "diving right in" to a campaign, but then, I had no indication that this was my only alternative. A person who loads up a game for the first time, only to find their first tutorials crashing, isn't going to immediately assume that the Publisher shipped functionality that wasn't meant to work. They are going to assume a wider problem, that needs to be corrected before they get invested in the full game.

I appreciate the passionate defense of Paradox by some users in this thread. However, calling people out because they assume that functionality shipped with an application ought to work is poor form. You may think you are defending Paradox, but in reality this reflects very poorly on the game, the company and the community in General. Your hostility is not only turning off the posters but persons like myself who just spent precious hours out of their morning trying to get a game to work rather than experiencing what it is that makes you so devoted to the game.

Thanks for your time, mods.

Well, I came here for basicly the same problem. I cannot play the tutorial because of that impossible task. So, what is the right way to learn how to play the game, because the interface is just too complicated to start a game and figure it out as I go. I tried and it's pretty complicated.

The best way would be to download and play the demo.

I am one of the new guys, and would like to echo the sentiment that the tutorials are the first thing we newbies click.

And believe me, the depth of the game was really overwhelming for a new player. We need those tutorials to help us get on the learning curve.

Luckily, I somehow found my way here to the forums. Only after 2-3 days of reading both the forums and the manuals did I finally manage the courage to start a game.

I'd say the best threads to learn from are the AARs, especially gameplay ones.

For IN3.1 there is a possible way to play all the tutorial, you can only play one tutorial for every fresh loaded game, whenever you want to start a new tutorial you HAVE TO quit the game to desktop and start the game again.

I don't think Paradox is going to fix the tutorial in 3.2. No sign of it. Though I don't need it anymore, seeing it fixed would definitely make it a perfect game for me.

I don't think Paradox is going to fix the tutorial in 3.2. No sign of it. Though I don't need it anymore, seeing it fixed would definitely make it a perfect game for me.

Fixed and modified to add the new IN and NA rules and such.

They should either patch it to stop CTDs or remove it.
Perhaps a good value-add for a future 'super-complete' version after HT is released would be an updated tutorial that actually shows the new features. (People who buy the expansion separately probably don't need a tutorial.)

Astro, did you check the directory EU3IN is installed in?
I own this version, and I have NA and IN manuals in EU3's main directory (though I don't exactly remember where I installed this EU3 from - Russian IN edition or EU3 Complete).

I never got the first tutorial, but the second, colonization tutorial, worked fine for my USA EU3:Complete edition. Other than the crash-to-desktop-if-I-try-anything-else-afterwards bug.

Well I started with the basic game, then got the expansions. I can say the tutorials didn't help me at all... but you went with a wise choice - Castile is easy and really noob friendly. Just keep relations with France 150+Royal Marriage and you'll learn the game in no time:D

Hi! I have created a proposed fix for the first trial, and submitted a bug.

I bought the game today, and was a bit annoyed that there still is a problem with the trials in version 3.2. It is a hard game to get into, it should not be made harder by buggy tutorials :). I tried MichaielM's proposed fix, but I could still not get it working. I found out there was much more rewriting to be done! When I first started, I could not stop until I had the complete trial working. Partly because it was kind of fun :)

Hope some other newbe finds this fix, and are able to understand just a tiny bit more of this great game.

And i hope Paradox takes the time to include better tutorials the next time around!

The problem is that in EU3 original, Altmark did belong to Brandenburg, but Magdeburg has been introduced since then. I guess it didn't occur to them to update the tutorials.

To Astro: You can actually fix this yourself. If you open tutorial\chapter6.txt, you will see the following:
Code:
tutorial =
{
	title = "TUTORIAL_6"
	desc = "TUTORIAL_6_DESC"
	tutorial_window = "TUTORIAL_WINDOW_1"	# default window
	interactive = yes
	country = BRA

page =
	{

effect = {
			treasury = 1000
		}

args = { 
			regiment_type = "Latin Medieval Infantry"
			province = "Altmark"
		}

window = "TUTORIAL_TASK"
		text = "tut_miss_1_task"
		window = "TUTORIAL_HINT"
		text = "tut_miss_1_hint"
		window = "TUTORIAL_CONC"
		text = "tut_miss_1_conc"

trigger = {
			[COLOR=Yellow]52[/COLOR] = {
				infantry_in_province = 1	# At least one
				NOT = {
					infantry_in_province = 2	# NOT two or more  == exactly one.
				}
			}
		}

}

page =
	{

args = { 
			province_1 = "Altmark"
			province_2 = "Brandenburg"
		}

window = "TUTORIAL_TASK"
		text = "tut_miss_2_task"
		window = "TUTORIAL_HINT"
		text = "tut_miss_2_hint"
		window = "TUTORIAL_CONC"
		text = "tut_miss_2_conc"

trigger = {
			50 = {
				infantry_in_province = 2	# At least two
				NOT = {
					infantry_in_province = 3	
				}
			}
		}

}
Change that 52 (the province ID number) to a 51, and change the "Altmark"s to "Ruppin"s, and you should be fine (at least for this tutorial).

This is also a good introduction to modding, since all game data is in files with roughly the same structure. :)

EDIT: Would some kind soul like to file a bug on this? This really ought to be in 3.2. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.