• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very impressive combat report, it's really an enjoyable read.

Why aren't you trying to make a peace deal with Liege? Do they have any other provinces except Liege itself? This would at least take one of your opponents out of the war.

Afterwards, you can try to sue for peace with France. You're not the attacker in this war, so a white peace would be a success rather for you than for the French...

Last edited:
This is a great read. I'm really enjoying your account of The Great Franco-Tuscan War.

BTW, is Protestant England still leading the HRE? That would make an interesting story in itself.

Minarchist - Well, the ultimate aim is to eventually take over all of France, so if I can grab a province or two in this war, so much the better. Whether it can be done is another matter. The "wall of Vassal states" strategy was intended to hem them in and constrict their growth prospects... I guess we'll see if it works.

RedBaron1918 - Thanks, glad you're enjoying it. I'm always afraid I'm overdoing the level of detail when describing the battles and troop movements, but since such a large part of the game is strategy and tactics I figure that people taking the time to read an EU AAR are probably the sort who are interested in that level of detail... If I'm wrong and most of you find it tedious to wade through, let me know.

Checking back, I realize that I never specified that Liege is actually a vassal of France -- as such, I can't make a separate peace with them, so the best I can do is wipe out their armies and occupy the province to keep from having to fight them anymore. With regard to suing for a white peace with France, this brings up a peeve of mine regarding peace resolution in this game... even when they look to be on the ropes, large countries are most often unwilling to accept a white peace and by the time they come around to proposing a white peace, more often than not I'm in a dominant position and have expended so much time and energy to reducing their capacity for war that I'm no longer willing to accept a white peace. Similarly, once they are willing to give up a province, I'm usually in a position, with only a little more effort and patience to force them to cede 3 or 4. Curiously, I rarely have to worry about the BB cost of taking that many provinces because it usually takes several years (during which time reputation score continues to decline) before such a favourable peace is finally reached.

Lord Durham - no, soon after the war with France started, the Electors apparently realized that a protestant English King as leader of the Germano-Italian HRE had been ridiculous and instead decided to elect the equally nonsensical Protestant King of Sweden the new Emperor.

Ubik - Thanks for the interest... Can EUIII 1.3 + MMIV be upgraded to NA and MMG without screwing up saved games? (If so, I might eventually consider conversion to continue the game beyond the timeline limitations of 1.3 if I can't manage the ultimate goal by that time).

Capibara - Thank You.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The Great Franco-Tuscan War (Part III): Uh-Oh... I think France just took a loan.

As per the subtitle, in July of 1539 new French troops (presumably mercenary forces) suddenly appear on both the northern and southern fronts: 9,000 in Caux, 5,000 in Picardie, 11,000 in Auvergne and 7,000 in Franche-Compte! In response, I do what I can to counter-balance this sudden momentum swing with the hiring of an additional 2,000 mercenaries in Vlaanderen, but what looked like an impending Tuscan victory has returned to a potentially slow, costly grind.

(At some point around this time, the French also reached Land Tech 10, which will make things that much tougher :( )

France almost immediately goes back on the attack, pushing Tuscan forces in the south out of Rouerge by the end of that month and following up in August with an attack in the north from Picardie on Artois. Tuscan forces in Artois are routed, retreating to Vlaanderen where the 7 of the now decimated mercenary regiments that were part of that army are disbanded. The remaining army, along with the 2 fresh mercenary regiments already in Vlaanderen, then moves into Calais to try to speed the capture of the city (the siege having already been in place for a year, to little effect) while the main French army pushes on to initiate a siege in Hainaut.

In the south, the arrival of the retreating army from Rouerge is enough to finalize the capture of Languedoc by the besieging Tuscan and allied armies, but we are forced to abandon the siege of Toulouse and have that army return to Languedoc after a force from the French army in Rouerge that is 3 times larger than ours turns south. The French force moves in behind our retreating army, successfully reestablishing a defensive line.

In september, a large Milanese army arrives in Lothringen to begin the process of recapturing the province and we win a minor battle when a small French force attempts to drive our allies out of Dauphine, but the main effort at this point in time involves an attack by Tuscan armies in Vermandois on Picardie to try to destroy the reserve force behind the main French army in Hainaut and box them in while simultaneously eliminating all resistance in northern France. However, by early october, it is evident that the battle in Picardie is not going in our favour...

011539oct4francenorthqw4.jpg

and that we are facing increasing pressure on the southern front.

021539oct4francesouthsj1.jpg

I utilize the last of the money remaining in the treasury to hire 10 more mercenary regiments in Pisa (to reinforce the southern front) and then take a second 800 ducat loan and hire another 8 mercenary units in Vlaanderen to shore up the armies in the north (Tuscany is now 1600 ducats in debt :( )

There is some good news though. By the end of October, Calais finally falls (after almost 500 days), freeing up about 10,000 troops which arrive in time to reinforce the ongoing attack on Picardie (as a contingent from Holland begins to besiege Ile de France).

051539nov13francenorthpv1.jpg

The French army in Picardy (led by Louis XIV -- the very same one that was originally 14,000 strong and has been whittled down bit by bit) is finally anihillated but another large French army is now on it's way to the Ile de France from Orleanais... looks like Holland's army won't be there for long as the Tuscan forces in Picardy are not yet recovered enough to lend any aid.

Meanwhile, in the south, 4,000 overland Tuscan reinforcements from Provence, plus 6,000 mercenaries convoyed from Pisa reach Languedoc in time to turn away a French attack.

061539nov17francesouthkk3.jpg

In the meantime, Tuscany's allies continue to help tie down French forces or otherwise besiege french-held provinces: Holland besieges Barrois while forces from The Palatinate continues the long siege of Valenciennes. Milan is in a close battle with French armies in Lothringen (which they will eventually in) and Savoy battles in Franche-Compte (but is losing).

In December, a 2nd, and then a 3rd wave of French armies from Toulouse and Auvergne attack the massed Tuscan forces in Languedoc and are both turned back with heavy losses. At the same time, another French army from Auvergne is completely destroyed by combined Savoy-Genoese armies in Dauphine. With the crippling of these French forces, the southern front has once again been ripped wide open to a renewed Tuscan advance. In the north, the French force that drove Holland's troops out of Ile de France continues it's advance against Tuscany's armies in Picardie but is also driven back.

As 1540 arrives, 5,000 more fresh French troops appear in Ile de France and Lyonnaise is captured but for the most part, January is a short breather while the morale of the armies on both sides is replentished.

February, however, sees a return to action as Holland takes the initiative, advancing it's armies in Brabant against the French forces in Hainaut. Seeing this, I also send Tuscan troops in Brabant and Vlaanderen into Hainaut to support the attack and this is enough to gain clear numerical superiority over the French forces which have been experiencing severe attrition losses for the past several months...

081540march1francenorthee3.jpg

and they are soon completely destroyed.

In the south, only a few remnants of the French armies that retreated to Toulouse and Lyonnaise remain as Tuscan and Allied forces once again push forward into Rouergue, Auvergne and even Nevers further to the north.

091540march1francesouthwb5.jpg

I have withstood a large French counterattack in fairly good shape, though the effort that was required to do so has put me further in debt and taken manpower down to only 1,100 or so. In addition, most of my native Tuscan regiments are only at about 1/2 strengh and I am increasingly forced to resort to mercenaries to keep troop strengh up. I am encouraged though by the fact that it looks like the French treasury is also empty and that they too are laying out lots of loan money for mercenary regiments. They may still have lots of manpower, but they are losing ground and there are gaping holes in their lines on both fronts. At this point it looks like a race between my economy crumbling and their manpower becoming exhausted

will try to update again tomorrow.

kfijatass - agreed, I am getting somewhat bogged down in some of the inconsequential minutia... I'll try to move things along a little quicker.

Continuing from March of 1540...

Just as things were starting to look rosey, large numbers of fresh mercenary regiments once again appear in Ile de France. By May, the third wave of French attacks begins with the lauch of aggressive attacks on Caux, Vermandois, Valenciennes and recently captured Barrois. A small French army even moved in a wide arc around the battlefront from Metz via neutral German states to appear behind our lines and initiate a seige in Zeeland :eek:

Reinforcements under the Doge's direct command are sent into Caux to shore up the defence and succeed in turning back the French thrust, but at great loss which we can ill afford. France also drives the armies of the Palatinate out of Valenciennes and begins to assault the city.

021540june3francenorthiz6.jpg

The French army soon gain the upper hand in Vermandois, driving Holland back into Artois, but the Tuscan army in Barrois, facing a smaller force, was victorious and I choose to have it pursue the retreating army into Lothringen to try to finish it off (insufficient forces to deal with the French army in Valenciennes). By July, we are back on our heels along the entire northern front.

031540aug14francenorthfp1.jpg

Another sudden buildup has changed the balance in the south as well. Where there had been only 4,500 or so French troops remaining in Toulouse there are now 15,000(!) under the command of Louis XIV himself.

041540aug31francesouthgs5.jpg

However, unlike on the northern front, France has not gone on the offence in the south. This is likely because we still hold a (slight) numerical advantage there.

By the middle of August, the whole complexion of the battlefield has changed from just a few months before. On the northern front France has ~6,500 troops in Caux, 5,000 in Vermandois, 5,000 in Valenciennes and ~2,000 in Zeeland. In the center and south 2,000 besiege Lyonnais, ~2,500 are in Bourgogne, ~1,200 in Lothringen and the big stack of 15,000 in Toulouse (total of nearly 39,000 men under arms). Tuscany now has only 27,000 total and manpower reached 0 in June :( .

Over the next several months, the entire war bogs down into a stalemate... French attacks and Tuscan counterthrusts, with a continuing slow advance by French forces in the north and continuing slow Allied advance in the south. Over the next several moths Tuscan armies basically keep French forces occupied while allied troops continue to capture besieged provinces in the south.

By November of 1540, I have finally been convinced that continuing this war may not be the smartest course of action (some of you are probably thinking "it's about time" ;) ) but despite our holding many more provinces France slaps down an offer of a white peace.

However, before I get the chance to repeat, or even perhaps sweeten the offer the situation goes from "annoying but manageable" to "oh, crap!" when the Ottoman Empire declares war on Tuscany :eek:

Though I had planned for a longer posting, this seems like a good place to pause (for dramatic tension :D ). Anyone want to place bets on how good or bad Tuscany ended up coming out of the current circumstances?

Well, if since you hold a pretty good war score against France, I say you gain once province, war with the Ottomans ends up with a white peace, but not before you take out another loan (or you have to mint so much that inflation skyrockets).

Can we get a new Doge perhaps? :eek:P

Very delicious AAR. Like your style, thank you for plenty of pictures and good job on keeping the suspence up.

Quite an entertaining tale, Daalbar.

Don't worry about your reporting style being too slow. It is not. For me the story remains captivating and always seems to radiate a profound sense of 'kindness' -- even in the darkest times of war. I like it a lot.

On a side note, I would have expected France to have a bigger navy by now. I've tried some Magna Mundi (Gold) games myself of late: very addictive indeed, but my own seafaring succes has been rather... well, fleeting... since I invariably get smashed by the Great Powers, France being the biggest culprit.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours ;) .

Daalbar said:
Though I had planned for a longer posting, this seems like a good place to pause (for dramatic tension :D ). Anyone want to place bets on how good or bad Tuscany ended up coming out of the current circumstances?

I'm betting 5 gold producing provinces that you will have to pay the French to get rid of them, and will get an initial beating by the Ottomans, but will manage to get a white peace.

Jestocost, Nalivayko -Thanks for the kind comments. Jestocost... the French navy in the Med was nearly 40 at the start of the conflict, but there were only another ten or so out in the atlantic... 50 seems fairly large to me, how large a fleet does France normally have in your experience? For all I know France may have had one of their many wars with England prior to their declaration vs Tuscany and lost part of their fleet there.

well, those who've spoken up seem a fairly pessimistic bunch ;) (though to be fair, Minarchist is fairly accurate about the minting... been at about .5 throughout the war to date and it will be cranked up more soon -- see below).

Well, with the declaration of war by the Ottoman's my attention is drawn back to the eastern Mediterranean, where, for the first time, I notice that the northwestern coast of Africa has gone green... At some point in the last year or two The Ottoman Empire annexed Algiers!

So that puts 2 of Tuscany's outlying provinces at risk of imminent attack, but both are minor. Since the core holdings of the state are surrounded by water and Austria does not currently allow military access to the Ottomans, Tuscany itself is fairly well insulated against direct attack. It is imperetive that we hold the sealanes though and Tuscany's naval tradition score is high, so we recruit a new admiral (Fire 4, Shock 3, Maneuver 6) to lead our fleet -- this war will be fought at sea.

The whole of the land war, however, will have to continue in France. At this point, pulling any troops from the French front will likely result in a rapid collapse.

The naval effort starts off well enough... only a few days after the declaration the small Mediterranean contingent of the Tuscan fleet sinks 5 ships in the Ionian Sea. However, on land, the vulnerable provinces are attacked soon after, unfortified Gabes falling immediately and Ragusa being besieged.

The visible Ottoman naval force of 16 ships in Dalmatia is already larger than our Mediterranean fleet, in an effort to get a better idea of exactly what I'm up against I sail into the Aegean from where I see that the main Ottoman fleet consists of 53 ships in the Sea of Marmara... and they're comin' right for us! Unable to flee quickly enough, we are caught, but manage to retreat almost immediately with the loss of 4 ships... looks like taking control of the sea lanes is not going to happen :( .

We'll have to worry about the Ottoman's later, right now France is still our main concern. There, the slow grind continues... in early 1541 we do manage to turn back a major attack on Brabant by Louis' army in the north and completely wipe out and entire force of ~7,500 French troops in Rouergue while Mantua takes control of Franche-Compte. Luck is also on our side -- a 9,000-strong revolt rises up in Lyonnais, routing the 2,300 French troops in the province.

011541mar9francesouthnr2.jpg

However, soon thereafter the Tuscan army begins to fall back in the north as the French armies continue their inexorable advance, slowly forcing all of our surviving troops to retreat to Artois for a last stand...

061541mar17francenorthpb3.jpg

We end up winning the battle, but luck is a fickle mistress... two days after the picture above was snapped, the Doge (who has commanded the troops in at least a dozen major battles to this point) is finally killed and the state's stability drops. The new Doge, Francesco Stefano Rivani, is mediocre in all respects: A 4, W 4, D 4 :(

At least the army tradition score has finally gotten to the point where it's worth recruiting a general: General Girolamo (Fire 4, Shock 2, Maneuver 2) is immediately put in command of the army in Artois and leads it in an effort to lift the siege of Calais.

071541may17francenorthck2.jpg

This attack on the besieging French forces was wildly successful... the battle was ultimately won (with a 5:1 advantage in troops killed), contributing a great deal toward re-achieving parity on the northern front. This success also continues in the south where the French forces in Toulouse that remained after the disasterous attack on Rouergue (and another on Languedoc that was turned back by a joint Papal/Genoese army) were attacked, soundly defeated and pursued until they were ground out. By August France was once again wide open on the southern front. Faced with the prospect of being overrun in the south, several French armies peel off from the Ile de France and head south to try to blunt the allied advance, taking the pressure off somewhat on the northern front (not a moment too soon!).

At this point, the double whammy of a Barbary Pirate attack and Ottoman spy activity that infiltrated my Trade network result in a huge hit to trade efficiency that severely curtailed income (and required me to increase the minting of money to 0.67 -- OUCH!)

This is followed up by the appearance of 3,000 Ottoman troops that appear in Italy, having convoyed across the Adriatic.

In response, in September the Mediterranean fleet, newly reinforced by a few ships from the Atlantic (where I have continued to sweep the French coast to destroy new shipping -- sank 8, captured 2, lost 2) and a few more newly constructed ones, forces a confrontation with the secondary Ottoman fleet based in Dalmatia. Their fleet of gallys and transports turns out to be no real threat to Tuscany's Caravels and Barques; 15 are sunk and 1 flyte is captured with no losses and the threat of further Ottoman armies arriving by sea is temporarilly neutralized (as the first wave of Muslim armies in Italy are dealt with by troops from Siena and the Papal State).

Soon afterward, I see the first Ottoman troops beginning to emerge from Austrian territory in the north. Apparently they've finally put enough gold into Austria's hands to allow their armies passage. However, it seems Austria is playing both sides, as Switzerland, the only ally of Tuscany's which isn't engaged in the ongoing struggle with France, seems to have also gained military access through Austria and positioned a small force in Tyrol to intercept and turn back any Ottoman armies that come through :D

Back on the western front though, it looks like France may have taken another loan (or spent the rest of whatever they may have had left from the first loan) as fresh troops begin showing up (particularly on the northern front) and press forward once again, But Tuscany and the allies continue moving west and north on the southern front; Bourgogne is recaptured in October, Lothringen and Metz are recaptured by combined allied armies in November and The Palatinate finally recaptures Barrois in December. Holland has also recruited a new army, destroyed the French army in Zeeland and initiated the siege to recapture the province and now-liberated Lorrain too has begun to rebuild it's forces. By January, the tables have begun to turn once again.

091542jan20francenorthqr6.jpg

101542jan20francesouthpq2.jpg

At this point, France has ~16,500 men on the northern front: 9,000 in Vlaanderen, 5,500 in Picardie, 2,000 in Calais, 1,000 in Artois and 1,000 in Liege. Tuscany only has 8,500 or so left (in Vermandois) but newly liberated Lorraine has recurited 3,000 fresh troops and Holland has an additional 5,500 besieging Zeeland, so overall force strength is nearly equal. In the south though, the entire French strength is down to only ~1,000 in Bearne (vs. ~5,000 Tuscan troops), 1,500 in Girona and 3,500 in Bourbon. However, factoring in the additional troop strength represented by forces from Tuscany, Savoy, Genoa, Milan and the Papal State, French forces in the south are probably outnumbered on the order of 4 or 5 to 1.

Has Tuscany finally turned the tide of battle in France for good?

I would say yes. Eliminating all those regiments certainly hasnt hurt your cause.

Though it seems the backbone of the French army in the south is broken, in the north there is still a substantial fighting force which continues to advance even as they continue to lose provinces in the south. France captures Vlaanderen while I continue the policy of striking at vulnerable smaller French contingents -- first wiping out 1,000 in Artois and then another 1,000 in Calais before returning to Artois. The newly reformed armies of Lorraine also start to move, marching in to Champagne to attack the small French garisson there and into Valenciennes to besiege the city. The French army in Vlaanderen sends a contingent north to Zeeland to try to prevent Holland from recapturing the province.

021542july25francenorthke4.jpg

Despite constant patroling of the coast of France by Tuscan naval detachments, somehow the French navy has managed to cobble together a small force of 6 ships that appears in the Straits of Dover (possibly a remnant of the original fleet that may have been laying low in Scotland?). I send the Tuscan fleet to confront them and sink all 6, losing 1 ship in the process. The fleet then puts in at Holland for repairs.

In the south, Toulouse falls and the French army in Bearn is defeated and pursued to Girona where it is eventually completely destroyed. In addition, A rebellion that rose up in Gascogne and captured that province advances on Armagnac (My intention is to allow as many rebellions to capture French provinces as possible in the hope that several independent nations will reappear, further weakening France over the long term). France attempts a last ditch attempt to turn back allied advances into Limousin (sending 2,000 troops from Blois) and Auvergne (3,000 from Bourbon) but Tuscan reinforcements are sent from Provence to Auvergne and from Bearn to Limousin to reinforce the front. Another French army moves into Bourgogne but I leave them alone for now, allowing them to waste time besieging the province while the rest of the southern front is consolidated...

011542july2francesouthxb3.jpg

Ulitmately, the attacking forces in Auvergne and Limousin are soundly defeated and the southern front is blown almost completely wide open. (From this point on, I can continue to fight a holding action in the north while the armies in the south continue to roll forward capturing provinces with little further opposition).

To improve the prospects of our northern forces, 3,000 more mercenary troops were hired in Brabant at the beginning of June of 1542 and a joint attack from Artois and Brabant is launced against the Scottish army in Vlaanderen in August, wiping it out. The two forces then merge and move south to attempt the recapture of Calais. A large battle against the French forces there was eventually won, but with the loss of more than 2,500 men. Around this time, another pirate attack once again cripples trade income and I am forced to increase the minting of money once again to keep monthly losses manageable -- we are now fulling minting and inflation has ballooned to 20.5%.

France does succeed in recapturing Liege, which starts to rebuild it's army. It appears that France has abandon the south in order to consolidate it's forces in the north and continue to press the attack there. They also recapture Bourgogne, but hold if for less than a month as a refreshed Tuscan army subsequently moves in from Auvergne, destroys the French force and assaults the city, capturing it in only 1 day. This army from the south then moves through Othe (being newly besieged by Milanese and Genoese forces)to attack Vermandois. Pressure is now being brought to bear on the French armies on the eastern side of the northern front as Tuscan and allied troops from the south start to link up with those from the north on that end.

By December, 1542 Tuscany captures Bearn in the south and rebel armies have captured Armagnac and Armor (in Brittany). As I had hoped, more rebellions are breaking out in France, but the inablility to control our allied troops results in a Papal army attacking rebel-held Gascogne... I'm afraid it will be difficult for subject states to reform with my allied troops going out of their way to suppress rebel outbreaks on nearby French-held territory.

by March of 1543, the situation is as follows: 5,000 Savoy troops are attacking 2,000 French defenders in Blois, 2,500 Savoy troops are besieging Bourbon, 4,500 men from the Papal State are besieging Gascogne, 3,500 Tuscan troops are besieging Girona, 2,000 Savoy troops are in Auvergne, 6,000 Milanese & Genoese are besieging Othe, 2,000 men from Lorraine and Mantua are besiging Champagne, 2,500 from Lorraine and The Palatinate are besieging Valenciennes, 3,500 Tuscan troops are engaged in battle with 4,000 French in Vermandois (but with a further 9,000 Tuscan reserves en route from Artois, following remnants of a retreating French army) and 4,000 troops from Holland are besiging Zeeland with a further 1,000 men in Holland itself. On the French side, besides the defenders in Blois and Vermandois there are 1,000 men in Ile de France, 7,000 in Picardie, 1,500 in Hainaut, 8,500 men in Brabant under the personal command of Louis XIV and 1,000 troops from Liege in Liege.

031543mar3francenorthfs7.jpg

Meanwhile, in Italy itself over the previous year another Ottoman army had finally made it's way into Italy, besiging and eventually capturing Apulia before then moving into Abbruzzi. All of Tuscany's forces are in France, so I am reliant on the Italian allies to fend off the Ottoman invaders -- Sicily does move an army into Apulia behind the advancing Ottoman forces to initiate a siege while an army from Modena takes on the Ottoman army itself in Abbruzzi. However, another Ottoman army then managed to make it's way into the peninsula from the north and began to besiege Pisa, but an army from Siena marched in to head them off. Unfortunately, the Swiss are no longer holding the passes in the Austrian alps, but by March of 1543 Swiss armies have taken the fight to the Empire itself and have been besieging Dalmatia!

Lucky for us, it appears that the Ottomans now have their own problems, as they are also at war with Poland and Bohemia, taking much of the pressure off of Tuscany in the east.

As 1543 progresses, Tuscany's first loan comes due but there is little choice but to extend it. Pirate raids continue like clockwork, consistently keeping trade income below 40% and thus requireing me to keep minting at maximum, just to maintain the (predominantly) mercenary army that is now in the field (once manpower hit zero the only way to keep force-strength up was to continually hire mercenaries to keep parity with French forces in the north to prevent them from being able to overun those provinces and turn this into a one-front war, allowing them to then reinforce and consolidate resistance in the south). Provinces in south and central France continue to fall, Holland recaptures Zeeland and by the end of July, a large battle is shaping up as Tuscany finally launches an attack on the capitol...

041543july21francenorthhz6.jpg

The battle in Ile de France rages until September and Tuscany is eventually victorious, but again at too huge cost -- the battered army retreats back to Vermandois in the face of approaching French reinforcements and is pursued there where we soon lose the battle with further losses. These 2 large battles severely taxed the northern army and 8 mercenary units that had been driven to 0 manpower were disbanded. The French army in Brabant also launches another attack on Hollands forces in Zeeland, easily dislodges them, then assaults and recaptures the province. In October, we loose another battle in Artois which again is besiged but now further Tuscan and allied forces begin arrive from the south and in December a 5,000-strong Milanese army moves into Ile de France from Othe. This draws 7,000 French troops back to the capitol from Picardie to try to oust Milan, leaving only about 2,500 behind as a juicy target for the Tuscan army in Vermandois to launch an attack against...

051544feb10francenorthhr4.jpg

The battle in Italy against the Ottoman armies continues... by early 1544 Sicily has recaptured Apulia but The Ottoman's succeeded in capturing Abbruzzi and then split their army to launch simultaneous attacks on Napoli and Rome. They are victorious against he small Papal State army, but thwarted by the Sicilian troops and retreat into Calabria. Troops from Siena subsequently moves south to try to lift the siege of Rome. In all there are about 5,500 Ottoman troops in Italy...

061544jan10italyag2.jpg

They eventually beat off the attack by Sienna and renew the siege of Rome.

Meanwhile, back in France, the Tuscan army succeeds in driving the French army out of Picardie while the French succeed in removing Milanese troops from Ile de France. Just to the south, Orleans falls to Savoy in March. France desperately sends most of it's troops from Zeeland south via Hainaut to Valenciennes to help vs. Tuscany but only succeed in opening up their small holding force in Zeeland to renewed attack by Holland. In May, Tuscany wins the battle in Vermandois while the French army led by Louis XIV trounces the combined armies of Lorraine and The Palatinate in Valenciennes and pursues them into Barrois (conveniently taking France's largest stack out of the immediate theatre of battle around Ile de France). French armies retreating from Vermandois move back north and eventually counterattack in Zeeland and push Holland back out. Holland retreats first to Vlaanderen and then to Hainaut when pursued by part of the French force while another contingent moves into Holland itself, seeking to capture the whole country. In July, Champaigne falls to Lorraine and in a lucky break for us, a large revolt occurs in Vlaanderen that destroyes the small French army still occupying the province...

071544aug7francenorthjy1.jpg

In september, there is a renewed attack by 7,500 troops from Milan and Savoy on 2,000 French troops in Ile de France which results in the complete destruction of the French forces and in November, Vermandois is finally captured. Suddenly, in December we recieve this message...

081544dec7calltoarmsck9.jpg

The problem is, Corsica is allied to Bohemia and I don't want to distract Bohemia from it's current war with the Ottomans. On the other hand, I don't want to encourage Bohemia to send an army against Modena alone, so I regretfully agree to help Modena and recruit 2 more mercenary units in Pisa with the intention of quickly conquering Corsica and then trying to make peace with Bohemia.

And again, immediately thereafter, another severe pirate attack drops stability to 0. Grrrr!

Battle continues in France, Tuscan forces move into Vlaanderen and initiate a siege and an attack on Picardie is rebuffed when another request for aid appears...

091545feb14helptoulousehh5.jpg

Sorry Toulouse, not really in a position to Fight Castille (and Navarra and Portugal) at this time!

By Valentines day, 1445, the situation in france is well in hand, it's really only a matter of time now till the whole country is ours!

101545feb14northfrviewim7.jpg

Skinner_Empire - Oh, after all the time invested I'm going to take as many provinces as possible (though I do manage to screw it up a bit when the time comes :D ). By naval power, I assume you mean number of ships? At this point, the Tuscan navy consists of 26 ships: 16 caravels, 2 barques (captured) and 8 flytes. It's been about this size for most of the war, the occasional lost ship replaced by captured vessels. For the most part the whole fleet has been kept together as a single force and was used to pick off stragglers and weaker naval contingents in order to whittle down the French fleet at the start (until it could be confronted under advantageous circumstances) and now to patrol the coast to take out any new ships that take to the water. By way of a larger comparison, for most of the war France has been at land tech 10 and naval tech 8 while Tuscany has been at land tech 12 and naval tech 11. Most of the Tuscan vassal states are somewhere between that (land 9 to 12, naval 6 to 11), wealthy Genoa being a notable exception, with land tech and naval tech both at 14!

As the holding action in the north of France continues, the Tuscan fleet sets sail back to the mediterranean to convoy the 2 new mercenary armies to Corsica, abandoning patrol of the French Atlantic coast. In mid-March 1545, a major milestone is reached when Ile de France is finally captured by armies from Savoy. The war is not over yet though... France continues to attack and only a week later the province of Holland falls and all of that nation is under French control. France moves a large army back to Ile de France to attempt to recapture the capitol, but this leave several smaller armies unsupported and I take advantage by launching an attack on Artois, eventually driving them out.

011545oct30francenorthet7.jpg

In the meantime, the fleet reaches the Ligurian Sea in April and armies are convoyed to Corsica with no opposition where they initiate the siege of the city. By November, Corsica falls under Tuscan control and accepts vassalization.

021545nov12corsicavassavj9.jpg

As I had hoped, it seems Bohemia's heart had never really been in the war in the first place and they quickly offer a white peace...

031545nov12corsicavassafs8.jpg

Which I happily accept.

So that's one issue resolved... now back to dealing with France and the Ottomans...

The situation in France continues to progress slowly... provinces in the south continue to fall while I continue to use the Tuscan army in the north to pick and choose battles that I know I can win to keep the French armies tied down. The two forces have almost completely switched relative positions over the last year or so, the French having captured almost all of the Tuscan territories in the north, while we press our attacks on the French provinces on the border and Lorraine continues to tie down French forces in the east.

041545dec31franceom5.jpg

In the meantime, back in the homeland Ottoman forces continue to slowly expand their control, despite the efforts of the armies of Sicily, Papal State and Siena to do what they can to slow the takeover. It's a case of "two steps forward, one step back" as the allied armies continually move in behind the Ottoman forces to recapture recently fallen provinces... annoying, but good enough to keep me from having to draw forces away from the war in France, keeping up the pressure on that front.

051545dec31italyty5.jpg

Unfortunately, late in the year, Poland (and Bohemia) accepts a white peace with the Ottomans... now they can presumably turn all of their attention on Tuscany. Despite this turn of events, all available troops are still needed to speed progress in France so the 2 mercenary regiments in Corsica are transported to Calais... Battle continues to ebb and flow throughout 1546 with provinces changing hands as many as 3 or 4 times while provinces to the south continue to fall. In July, a white peace proposal from Scotland is accepted and Brittany re-appears as an independant nation in the province of Armor.

Finally, by fall of that year we begin to gain the upper hand -- a Tuscan detachment manages to defeat the French forces in Holland and quickly assault and recaptures the province (enableing Holland to start recruiting new contingents) before moving on to besiege Zeeland. Caux is captured, Artois is recaptured, Hainaut is liberated and armies from Milan join with forces from Lorraine and Tuscany to destroy French regiments in Champagne as other Milanese armies also move in on Brabant and Valenciennes. With the arrival on the scene of these fresh forces from the southern front, the end of this long struggle is drawing nigh! Thus, the largest remaining French force, attempting to recapture Picardie, becomes the target of the main Tuscan army which moves south from Artois to try to destroy French resistance once and for all.

061547jan29francenorthfq9.jpg

And not a moment too soon it seems... More Ottoman troops have arrived in Tuscany and are beginning to overwhelm the allied forces back in the homeland as they capture Abbruzzi and look to be in the process of recapturing Ancona and Rome. There are now over 10,000 Ottoman troops in Italy and reinforcements continue to arrive. I can't afford to ignore this situation any longer -- the fleet sails to Languedoc where ~5,000 Tuscan troops, which have been cobbled together from various partial-strength contingents in the south, are available to be transported back to Italy.

071547jan30italyrh0.jpg

The vultures have begun to pile on. Castille, Toulouse (now a vassal of Castille), Navarra and Portugal all declare war on France! There aren't any unoccupied provinces in southern France for them to take, but it warms my heart to know that France will continue to have it's hands full after I extract the most advantageous peace agreement I can from them.

By March of 1547, Brabant, Zeeland, Vlaanderen, Champagne and Valenciennes have all fallen and the warscore vs. France is 98, but before I can propose a peace agreement a revolt rises up in Languedoc, where I had idiotically left 8 of my own 0-strength regiments after transporting those with manpower back to Italy... as a last-minute insult they are all instantly wiped out by the rebels. Ouch!

Soon afterward, a peace agreement is finallized with France... long struggle and massive expense brings 4 very valuable provinces adjoining Tuscany's northern territories under my control... they link the Northern Territories to Italy (via vassal states), are all the same culture group as one (Artois) that Tuscany already controls and are all very high value...

081547may14francepeacear9.jpg

Unfortunately, it isn't until after this peace is signed that I checked and realize that Valenciennes is a province of the HRE... hopefully I won't be asked to return it. Argggh!

At least my armies, and those of the vassal states, are now freed up to return to Italy to take on the Ottoman forces there. The first army having already landed in Sienna was able to help defeat a small Ottoman force encroaching on Rome...

091547may14italykq8.jpg

And more troops are on the way.

Next installment: Throwing the Turk back into the Sea!

For those of you who are interested, a little overview of the impact of the recent war with France... as of the start of this update Tuscany's war exhaustion is at 60.3% and inflation has ballooned from ~17% at the start of the war 10 years ago to 25.2%. Stability has dropped to -1 (from +3 at the start) and manpower is at 0 (and will continue to be so for a while as the armies slowly recover their strength). The only "benefit" of the war is that it went on for so long that BB is down to 8.98 (and that is after the cost incurred by the capture of the 4 French provinces) from 17 at the start.

Over the summer of 1547, more and more Tuscan troops return to Italy to press the attack against invading Ottoman armies. My first move is to cut off naval transport to Italy and the fleet moves in and captures two flytes in the Straits of Oranto (pushing fleet size up to 34 ships). Tuscan armies then move in to recapture Abbruzzi and put down rebellion in Firenze, but at the same time Napoli is under attack by the Ottomans and will soon fall.

011547sept5armiesbacktopr6.jpg

Fortunately, The OE is once again distracted from the war in Italy by a DoW against them by Austria. Austria finds themselves in the battle alone, as their fair-weather allies Hess and Wurtemburg dishonoured the alliance, but at least the Ottoman's overland route to Italy is cut off. Now, with no further armies arriving by either land or sea, Ottoman troops will soon be driven out.

It isn't as easy as all that though... Pirate attacks, rebellions in the north and on the Mediterranean islands and spy activity by the OE and Kazan (spy ring infiltration, Government infiltration, treasury stolen, hits on trader reputation) all serve to keep Tuscany economically crippled and militarily occupied suppressing revolts. Despite these setbacks, Tuscany continues to grind away at the Ottoman forces in Italy.

In March of 1548 our first loan is coming due, but without the resources to pay it off the loan must be extended as the war continues.

By the end of May, Austria has stabilized their front against the OE with the aid of armies from Switzerland and Lorraine who are now fighting along the Austrian front. Meanwhile, only one 5,500-strong Ottoman army in Rome remains and is attacked by 11,000 Tuscan troops which advance on them from Ancona...

031548aug19italypt0.jpg

Despite a slow start, numbers tell and the battle is eventually won.

041548sept3woninromeyn0.jpg

The tattered remnants of the Ottoman army flee back toward the Adriatic coast only to find that their transport is no longer there... Pursued there by Tuscan forces, they are cut down to the last man and by the end of October, 1548 Italy is once again free of Ottoman armies!

At this point, I have enough breathing room to begin to consolidate my land forces and begin to get the Tuscan economy back under control while my vassals continue to press attacks against the Ottomans. the first 9 mercenary units are disbanded to save money and increase the recovery rate of my own regiments while continuing to mint as much money as possible to restore the treasury so that I will be able to repay the loans as they become due.

Meanwhile, in the ongoing war on the Austrian border, both sides continue to slug it out...

051548dec1austriafrontai3.jpg

In December, growing a bit bolder, I once again send the entire Tuscan fleet (now much stronger) east to scope out the opposing naval forces. This time we are a much better match for the fleet that is encountered in the Aegean -- our 34 ships vs. the OE's 35. However Tuscany has quite a Naval Tech advantage at this point and, the ensuing battle (if it can be called that) results in the sinking of 2 galleys and the capture of 33!

061549jan22captureshipswp5.jpg

In June of 1549 I begin the first offensive move against the OE. With naval superiority Tuscany convoys an army from Apulia to Corfu to begin the siege of the city while the fleet cuts off access from the mainland.

At this point, we recieve an offer of a white peace from Kazan, which is quickly accepted... Kazan is no real military threat, but their spy activity has been hitting the economy hard.

In October, good things begin to happen. Stability increases for the first time in a good while, rising back up to 0. One of the bank loans comes due and there is enough cash on hand in the treasury to pay it back, and Corfu is captured.

In January 1550, emboldened by the success at sea, the Tuscan fleet now enters the Sea of Marmara and encounters the remaining 35 ships of the Ottoman fleet, sinking all 35 with no losses! Subsequently, on the way back to port in Naxos for repairs, 2 more galleys are sunk and 7 are captured. The fleet is now over 70 ships strong! I think the subtle Ottoman naval strategy involves bleeding my treasury by giving me too many ships to maintain :D but I won't fall for it and start scuttling (disbanding) damaged captured ships.

I continue to bide my time to allow manpower to rebuild while continuing to periodically disband mercenary units as native unit strength increases. Tuscany's vassals continue to help hold the line in Austria and by the end of the year, Austria has begun to gain the upper hand against the Ottoman Empire.

081550nov7austriafrontmh0.jpg

As 1551 arrives, Tuscany has just recovered enough strength to start taking on further offensives against the OE, the obvious soft underbelly of the empire being the formerly Algerian/Tunisian provinces of North Africa. Troops take up position in Palermo and Fleets in the Gulf of Gabes but before the attack can be launched Austria signs a white peace with the Ottoman Empire! (I guess our vassals were doing too good of a job of propping them up).

Of course, the OE has no interest in also accepting our overtures for a white peace, and so, the invasion of North Africa continues... Troops land in Gabes in November and surprisingly (to me at least), the Tuscan troops easily defeat the opposing Ottoman land forces. The Empire is beginning to look like quite a paper tiger...

111551nov10africafrontmr5.jpg

to cut things short, over the year Tuscan armies continue to consistently defeat attacking Ottoman armies during the ongoing siege of Tunis while, curiously enough, the Ottoman peace with Austria has been a great benefit to our vassal armies, who can retreat into Austrian territory to recouperate without being pursued but continue to put pressure on provinces along that border (Switzerland in particular having captured Sopron and Dalmatia!)

As the first 100 years of game time comes to a close, Tunis is captured and numerical superiority in North Africa has swung decisively to Tuscany's advantage. The next update will be another overview of the wider political and religious situation as of May 30, 1553.