• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nov 4, 2006
There was a great series of four books by Turtledove(the "Worldwar" series) with an alternate world scenario with aliens arriving in c.1942(?), in the middle of WWII, and fighting against the various different factions. I think it would be a great idea to try it out! Of course, I'm no programmer, so I can't do the code, unfortunately.

CromCruachan said:
There was a great series of four books by Turtledove(the "Worldwar" series) with an alternate world scenario with aliens arriving in c.1942(?), in the middle of WWII, and fighting against the various different factions. I think it would be a great idea to try it out! Of course, I'm no programmer, so I can't do the code, unfortunately.

I thought they arrived earlier than that (just after Barbarossa).

That aside sounds like a good idea. Liked the series a lot and it could make for an interesting Mod. Not sure how much interest you'll get from other people though (no-one replied to my 1898 War of the Worlds idea :().

Well, I know from experience that simply suggesting an idea wont get a bunch of people to sign up in the majority of cases...you are gonna have to do 99% of the work yourself...and that means learning to mod yourself...its not the hardest thing in the world.

When I first proposed a turtledove mod I got virtually no interest but as soon as I made th mod and released it...wham....plenty of interest.

Sounds cool!

I don't know the books, but if you need any help, PM me.

BTW, there is a good modding guide in the HoI2Wiki

Ideas for the Race (just a brainstorm)
Start with all techs at least, might need to make some new ones for them!
"Troop Landing" events to get the divisions (create Race divisions in a province)
You'll need some nice lizardy sprites and a flag...

Lizard government ministers:
Ideology: Paternal Autocrat
Head of State: 37th Emperor Risson, Popular Figurehead?
Head of Government: Fleetlord Atvar, Old General/Old Air Marshal
Foreign Minister- Veffani, Ideological Crusader
Armaments Minister- ??, Military Entrepreneur
Minister of Security- Fleetlord Atvar, Silent Lawyer
Minister of Intelligence- Pshing, Dismal Enigma
CoS: Atvar, Fire Support
CoA: Atvar, Armoured Spearhead
CoN: Atvar, Base Control
CoAF: Atvar, Air Superiority

And when the Race land, the event should give them provinces wherever they land, and have the entire world DoW them.

I tried reading these books but never could hold my interest. I guess I like stories grounded in reality, albeit an ahistorical reality sometimes.

Ugly Guy said:
I tried reading these books but never could hold my interest. I guess I like stories grounded in reality, albeit an ahistorical reality sometimes.

You might like his Great War/American Empire/Settling Accounts series. It deals with the aftermath of a Confederate victory in the U.S. Civil War. No sci-fi, just alternative history.

^You may like Ugly's Settling Accounts AAR... ;)

^I do apologise...and yours too. I only mentioned Ugly Guy's specifically as the series was suggested too him.

Seems to be a lot of Ugly people around the forums lately... :D

CromCruachan said:

It doesn't take a programmer to create a mod. There are text files that dictate the starting position of each faction, the changes introduced by technology (new unit models, modifiers, etc), unit characteristics, and AI behaviour.

It doesn't require skill so much as an extreme amount of work.

As Enterprize said, "floating an idea" never takes a mod anywhere. Your own idea has been brought up several times, but there's never been anyone willing to invest the work required to make it happen.

If you want it done, do it yourself. Here's a website that will give you the information you need in order to pull it off: link.

i would love to help, a suggestion would be that the race can chose how to treat minorities and get certain events. Also their troops should be much better, but not improve while the humans have worse troops but gradually get better. And the races doctrines would have to be simulate the fact that their troops had no idea how to fight.

Hopefully this would mean the humans have to remain on the defense at the start and be fighting for their lives, but can slowly begin to counter attack. Also the race would have to try and blitzkrieg otherwise they would get bogged down in a worldwide war of attrition against continually evolving and inmproving human nations. Just like what happened in the books.

Ok i hope those ideas have helped and can be improved upon, this is what I came up with on the spot.

And just as a side note if this ever becomes reality how will the UK win this? their entire empire is taken by the Race and can anyone imagine a campaign stretching across Africa and India :eek: (especially since your using the UK in its weakest period, not quality german troops or whatever) ok enough rambling by me, I hope this helps someone

The Alien Invaders only have one capital. Any provinces you give them that aren't connected will be out of supply.

maybe give them the ability to fly in supplies to their troops and also at the start it would be pretty easy for them to connect them seen they just owned everything

maybe some events for how the blacks and the jews get treated by the Race to see whether they get claims on areas with large numbers of them, or free units or something