• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, in my view, it is still possible to offer loans under version 1.08 and my conclusions are

-Nations are more likely to accept if the loan is for a small amount. I think the AI looks more at the monthly interest than anything else so 10D at 10% is more likely to be accepted than 20D at 7%.
-The AI is consistent so that, if your offer of a loan of 10D at 10% is accepted, another offer immediately made will be accepted. This causes a problem since, using the above example where 20D at 7% is rejected, we can alternatively offer 10 loans of 10D at 10%, all of which will be accepted
-The AI always pays back although the manual states that if you are at war, the loan defaults - I've yet to experience this
-Bad relations don't seem to affect the probability of the loan being accepted (at least not to the extent that the monthly interest will
-Interest payments are made monthly but do not appear in monthly income and have to be allowed for manually. It is therefore possible to see your treasury increase while the financial summary shows negative payments

Borrowing money at 6% and lending at 10% is easy if somewhat tedious and it is still possible to be Europe's bankers and impoverish those you lend money to. Just don't get into a war with them.

Well, having posted on this thread before, knowing that there's no stock market to park extra cash in, I decided to experiment.
I'm playing version 1.08, IGC2, United Prussia, CoT England, Spanish Netherlands. Playing as Prussia I took W. Pom and Danzig from Pol in early def. war. Having six provinces I was saving my money to build six manufactories all at once. Saving money is difficult in this game(so many things to do only 300 years to do it). So I start offering loans to all the folks who are at war. It seems that the computer disregards your relations(as noted earlier). Countries at war will except small loans until a certain point(My hypothesis on this issue is:the ai has a set percentage of monthly income it is willing to pay for interest, once reached, it will no longer accept or take more loans). My standard loan was 2%(way above inflation rate so still a good rate) and fifty ducats. The duration was set according to each countries circumstances(small country nearby enemy: short duration, large country long duration). So it stands that on each loan I got paid 1 ducat annually. I started this approach in about 1530. I'm now at about 1555. I'm making roughly 65 ducats annually on interest payments. I've yet to fight since starting my approach for obvious reasons. I've also become more risk averse, taking careful steps to avoid making loans to countries that could be annexed. The large yearly interest income is boon, due to rolling interest into new loans. Recently I dipploannexed The Tuet. Kn. So I'll continue strategy until I have roughly the 7000 ducats that I need to build all my manufactories.
dudmont

Yeah, especially in the 30 years war. Most of the Swedish armies at that time were raised with borrowed money.

I've lent money to different AI countries at several occasions. I lent 10 000 ducats to France at one time (5% interest, 60 months). England borrowed money from me several times despite having a -200 relation. They accepted a loan of 1000 or 2000 several times. The only thing I can see affect the chance of an AI nation accepting your loan is whether they are at war or not. And I've had banking success in both multiplayer and single player games. When playing with one of my friends we had a good relation and helped each other out every now and then, but in secret I lent huge amounts of money to countries waging war against him :) When he was at war with France and The Hugenots I lent 2000 ducats to each of them. I'm a backstabber, I know... ;)

Originally posted by dagobahone
I've lent money to different AI countries at several occasions. I lent 10 000 ducats to France at one time (5% interest, 60 months). England borrowed money from me several times despite having a -200 relation. They accepted a loan of 1000 or 2000 several times. The only thing I can see affect the chance of an AI nation accepting your loan is whether they are at war or not. And I've had banking success in both multiplayer and single player games. When playing with one of my friends we had a good relation and helped each other out every now and then, but in secret I lent huge amounts of money to countries waging war against him :) When he was at war with France and The Hugenots I lent 2000 ducats to each of them. I'm a backstabber, I know... ;)

Lol, a more than a year old thread, and I didn't realize it 'till they started talking about 1.08 :D

Me neither;)

When it comes to loans, I've managed it once, my first game I ever played (uncept fantasia). I played Portugal, Loaning to Spain.

I've tried it too. With Spain at relation -200. So relations are obviously irrelevant. What seems to be relevant is fairly simple: if the target needs money! :eek: That's sometimes the case during wars - but not always. IOW exactly the same as it is to the human player.