Turn off visuals for race transformations

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why is this nitpicking on minor or major transformations the hill you guys want to rally to? Theyre a game mechanic you dont have to take. Taking away cool visuals because you dont like the way they look, for other players, is a really shitty thing to advocate for. It also wastes development time for other projects that actually improve gameplay and faction designs.
To be honest, I don't think this is nitpicking at all. For my part, I simply want the option to turn on and off the visuals. We spend a lot of time creating our factions, and I would like to preserve the look of my people throughout the game. I also don't like some of the combinations (simply aesthetically) that I encounter in the game, and that takes away from the immersion for me. It sometimes is simply "too much" with demon-winged, gold-glowing, greenskinned toads with horns. It makes it feel more like a cartoon to me.

When all this is said, I LOVE the unit enchantments and the race transformations! I think this is a GREAT game mechanic, and I would never want anyone to take it away. I simply want more choice with regards to the visuals.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Maybe I'm missing something, but can't you do this by ascending all your custom rulers and turning it off for each of the spellbooks? Or is that not how it works? I was mostly replying to Sadorhael, but I assumed you guys were asking for the ability to disable any enchantment for any human or AI player (even random ones) before a match begins, through some kind of global setting.
That may be a workaround. But if so, an enormous WORK-around. However, I'm not sure that it would actually work in practice, since you then wouldn't be able to turn off the other players visuals in the game anyway? We don't have access to their spellbooks while playing?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well maybe I'm misunderstanding how tranformation disabling works, since I haven't used it yet. They changed it so that faction leaders who Ascend into your Pantheon will pick the same tomes they picked when you played them. I'm assuming that includes disabling any transformation visuals that you disabled. But if that's incorrect, then yeah there is currently no way to control how your Pantheon leaders look, which is something I can agree would be very nice to be able to do.

That may be a workaround. But if so, an enormous WORK-around. However, I'm not sure that it would actually work in practice, since you then wouldn't be able to turn off the other players visuals in the game anyway? We don't have access to their spellbooks while playing?
If you make a mod and disable part of the graphics, it will be disabled for you and the AI. Only issue is that if you want to play multiplayer with anyone, they need the mod too.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can confirm that when you ascend a ruler, they maintain all of the custom transformation visuals that you picked when you played them.

So if you want to have AI in your game that do not have certain transformation appearances, you can play as them and ascend them first. It's a lot of work, but it is an option over time. It's what I'm doing anyway (I like to use ascended leaders as NPCs in my games), so it's not that big of a deal for me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I can confirm that when you ascend a ruler, they maintain all of the custom transformation visuals that you picked when you played them.

So if you want to have AI in your game that do not have certain transformation appearances, you can play as them and ascend them first. It's a lot of work, but it is an option over time. It's what I'm doing anyway (I like to use ascended leaders as NPCs in my games), so it's not that big of a deal for me.

Nice. Thanks for the confirmation on this. I guess I'll start ascending my custom characters as well. It seems like the best alternative at the moment. Hopefully, the DEVs can implement a toggle for each ruler in a future update.

EDIT: One thing though. I guess that also includes the option where you get the perks etc but don't actually transform?

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. The transformation technically happens, but there is no visual transformation at all. The name of the transformation still shows up in the unit card, IIRC. It needs to, otherwise you wouldn't know where the bonus is coming from.

The way you toggle this is in the spellbook. You cast the transformation, then go to your spell book and find your existing enchantments and transformations. You click a little eye icon to turn off the visual. You have to do this in-game, you can't do in in the race editor.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. The transformation technically happens, but there is no visual transformation at all. The name of the transformation still shows up in the unit card, IIRC. It needs to, otherwise you wouldn't know where the bonus is coming from.

The way you toggle this is in the spellbook. You cast the transformation, then go to your spell book and find your existing enchantments and transformations. You click a little eye icon to turn off the visual. You have to do this in-game, you can't do in in the race editor.

Thanks for the information.