• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mingmung

General
35 Badges
Aug 23, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hey there,

I can finally do my name justice by posting a suggestion for a Ming-affiliated tag: the newly revealed and kind-of-obscure Tungning kingdom. Such a short-lived, but highly flavourful kingdom deserves some flavour in the form of NI's, in my opinion.

So, without further addo, a full idea-set for Tungning:
Flag_of_Ming_Cheng.svg

Traditions:
+15% Naval Morale
+ 0.5 Yearly Army Tradition

1. House of Koxinga:
The famous Zheng Zhilong was a privateer working for the Dutch V.O.C. and later served as an admiral under the Ming dynasty before he surrendered himself to the Qing. His son, Zheng Chenggong, refused to surrender, rallied Ming loyalist forces to build a formidable naval power and proceeded to conquer Taiwan from the Dutch. Zheng Chenggong, also known as Koxinga, pursued his own political mission to re-establish the Ming dynasty. His descendants ruled Taiwan until 1683.

+2 Naval Leader Maneuver
-20% Naval Maintenance Modifier

2. Safe Haven for Ming Princes:
The fall of Beijing and the death of the Chongzhen emperor didn’t spell the immediate end of the Ming Dynasty. Some members of the Zhu clan fled to the south and formed loyalist rump-states. They were collectively known as the Southern Ming. Other princes, like Zhu Shugui and Zhu Honghuan, fled to the safety of the Tungning kingdom in the hope of reclaiming their kingdom one day.

+1 Yearly Prestige
+10% Meritocracy Gain

3. Revive the Tuntian System:
A severe shortage of food was one of the first problems the newly-created Tungning kingdom faced. To address this, Koxinga instituted a policy in which soldiers served as farmers when they were not on duty. This gradually transformed Taiwan into a self-sufficient island.

+10% National Tax Modifier

4. Resist the Qing Sea Ban:
The Qing instituted a decree to starve out the forces in Taiwan by relocating all of the coastal towns that had been the targets of raids by the Tungning kingdom. This backfired, as major waves of immigration occurred from these areas to Taiwan due to the hardships suffered from the sea ban. The son of Koxinga, Zheng Jing, further promoted immigration by promising free land in exchange for compulsory military service.

+10% Manpower Recovery Speed

5. Sika Deer Skins:
A valuable native resource in Taiwan was its indigenous sika deer. The Dutch sold the skins in Europe and also in Japan, where they made sheaths and armour for the samurai. The kingdom of Tungning and the Qing continued with this trade, albeit at a smaller scale.

+10% Goods Produced Modifier

6. Aboriginal Tribes of Formosa:
Taiwan was the home of many Polynesian tribes before people from the Middle Kingdom as well as European colonists started to arrive. The increasing immigration from the mainland put pressure on the native populations as more and more lands were being cultivated by the Han settlers. Some of the aboriginals were integrated by intermarrying with the Han, others exterminated when they rose up in rebellion. They eventually became a minority.

-20% Culture Conversion Cost

7. Cultivation of Sugarcanes:
The personal advisor of Zheng Jing, Chen Yonghua, initiated policies that boosted food and salt production. He also found ways to reach the mainland market, despite the sea ban, by bribing Qing officials. The deliberate cultivation of sugarcane as a cash crop for trade with the European powers, such as the British, was also one of his ideas.

+20% Domestic Trade Power

Ambition:
+25% Naval Force Limit Modifier

@neondt @Ofaloaf @Caligula Caesar

Code (credits to @Zephyrum ):
Code:
tungning_ideas = {
    start = {
        naval_morale = 0.1
        army_tradition = 0.5
    }
    bonus = {
        naval_forcelimit_modifier = 0.25
    }
    trigger = {
        tag = FRM
    }
    free = yes

house_of_koxinga = {
        leader_naval_maneuver = 2
        naval_maintenance_modifier = -0.1
    }

safe_haven_for_ming_princes = {
        prestige = 1
        meritocracy = 1
    }

revive_tuntian ={
        global_tax_modifier = 0.10
    }

resist_qing_seaban = {
        manpower_recovery_speed = 0.10
    }

sika_deer_skins = {
        global_trade_goods_size_modifier = 0.10
    }

aboriginals_of_formosa = {
        culture_conversion_cost = -0.20
    }

cultivation_sugarcanes = {
        global_own_trade_power = 0.20
    }
}

Code:
 tungning_ideas: "Tungning Ideas"
 tungning_ideas_start: "Tungning Traditions"
 tungning_ideas_bonus: "Tungning Ambition"
 house_of_koxinga: "House of Koxinga"
 house_of_koxinga_desc: "The famous Zheng Zhilong was a privateer working for the Dutch V.O.C. and later served as an admiral under the Ming dynasty before he surrendered himself to the Qing. His son, Zheng Chenggong, refused to surrender, rallied Ming loyalist forces to build a formidable naval power and proceeded to conquer Taiwan from the Dutch. Zheng Chenggong, also known as Koxinga, pursued his own political mission to re-establish the Ming dynasty. His descendants ruled Taiwan until 1683."
 safe_haven_for_ming_princes: "Safe Haven for Ming Princes"
 safe_haven_for_ming_princes_desc: "The fall of Beijing and the death of the Chongzhen emperor didn’t spell the immediate end of the Ming Dynasty. Some members of the Zhu clan fled to the south and formed loyalist rump-states. They were collectively known as the Southern Ming. Other princes, like Zhu Shugui and Zhu Honghuan, fled to the safety of the Tungning kingdom in the hope of reclaiming their kingdom one day."
 revive_tuntian: "Revive the Tuntian system"
 revive_tuntian_desc: "A severe shortage of food was one of the first problems the newly-created Tungning kingdom faced. To address this, Koxinga instituted a policy in which soldiers served as farmers when they were not on duty. This gradually transformed Taiwan into a self-sufficient island."
 resist_qing_seaban: "Resist the Qing Sea Ban"
 resist_qing_seaban_desc: "The Qing instituted a decree to starve out the forces in Taiwan by relocating all of the coastal towns that had been the targets of raids by the Tungning kingdom. This backfired, as major waves of immigration occurred from these areas to Taiwan due to the hardships suffered from the sea ban. The son of Koxinga, Zheng Jing, further promoted immigration by promising free land in exchange for compulsory military service."
 sika_deer_skins: "Sika Deer skins"
 sika_deer_skins_desc: "A valuable native resource in Taiwan was its indigenous sika deer. The Dutch sold its skins in Japan, where they made sheaths and armour for the samurai, as well as on the European market. The kingdom of Tungning and the Qing continued with this trade, albeit at a smaller scale."
 aboriginals_of_formosa: "Aboriginal Tribes of Formosa"
 aboriginals_of_formosa_desc: "Taiwan was the home of many Polynesian tribes before people from the Middle Kingdom as well as European colonists started to arrive. The increasing immigration from the mainland put pressure on the native populations as more and more lands were being cultivated by the Han settlers. Some of the aboriginals were integrated by intermarrying with the Han, others exterminated when they rose up in rebellion. They eventually became a minority."
 cultivation_sugarcanes: "Cultivation of sugarcanes"
 cultivation_sugarcanes_desc: "The personal advisor of Zheng Jing, Chen Yonghua, initiated policies that boosted food and salt production. He also found ways to reach the mainland market, despite the sea ban, by bribing Qing officials. The deliberate cultivation of sugarcane as a cash crop for trade with the European powers, such as the British, was also one of his ideas."

Sources:
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Tungning (general info about Tungning)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuntian (description of the legendary Cao Cao's Tuntian system, adopted by Koxinga)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_Zhilong (Koxinga's father)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koxinga
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_Jing (Koxinga's son)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhu_Shugui (Ming prince in exile)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formosan_sika_deer
- https://books.google.nl/books?id=tL4vDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA83&lpg=PA83&dq=taiwan+dongfan&source=bl&ots=EodYtfzDoz&sig=ACfU3U1MStiiqV1RqPxRmW3k-hh3obyV8A&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjR3bO47dLkAhXPaFAKHZM7BgkQ6AEwBnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=taiwan dongfan&f=false (more info on trade and history from Taiwan)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_indigenous_peoples (Taiwanese aboriginals)
- http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2019/06/28/2003717717 (article about Chen Yung-Hua)
- http://culture.teldap.tw/culture/index.php?option=com_content&id=2284 (sugarcane in Taiwan)

Last edited:
Code'd and localized for convenience:

Code:
tungning_ideas = {
    start = {
        naval_morale = 0.1
        army_tradition = 0.5
    }
    bonus = {
        naval_forcelimit_modifier = 0.25
    }
    trigger = {
        tag = TNN #Replace with appropriate tag ID
    }
    free = yes

house_of_koxinga = {
        leader_naval_manuever = 2
        naval_maintenance_modifier = -0.1
    }

safe_haven_for_ming_princes = {
        prestige = 1
        meritocracy = 1
    }

revive_tuntian ={
        global_tax_modifier = 0.10
    }

resist_qing_seaban = {
        manpower_recovery_speed = 0.10  
    }

sika_deer_skins = {
        global_trade_goods_size_modifier = 0.10
    }

aboriginals_of_formosa = {
        culture_conversion_cost = -0.20
    }

cultivation_sugarcanes = {
        global_own_trade_power = 0.20
    }
}

Code:
 tungning_ideas: "Tungning Ideas"
 tungning_ideas_start: "Tungning Traditions"
 tungning_ideas_bonus: "Tungning Ambition"
 house_of_koxinga: "House of Koxinga"
 house_of_koxinga_desc: "The famous Zheng Zhilong was a privateer working for the Dutch V.O.C. and later served as an admiral under the Ming dynasty before he surrendered himself to the Qing. His son, Zheng Chenggong, refused to surrender, rallied Ming loyalist forces to build a formidable naval power and proceeded to conquer Taiwan from the Dutch. Zheng Chenggong, also known as Koxinga, pursued his own political mission to re-establish the Ming dynasty. His descendants ruled Taiwan until 1683."
 safe_haven_for_ming_princes: "Safe Haven for Ming Princes"
 safe_haven_for_ming_princes_desc: "The fall of Beijing and the death of the Chongzhen emperor didn’t spell the immediate end of the Ming Dynasty. Some members of the Zhu clan fled to the south and formed loyalist rump-states. They were collectively known as the Southern Ming. Other princes, like Zhu Shugui and Zhu Honghuan, fled to the safety of the Tungning kingdom in the hope of reclaiming their kingdom one day."
 revive_tuntian: "Revive the Tuntian system"
 revive_tuntian_desc: "A severe shortage of food was one of the first problems the newly-created Tungning kingdom faced. To address this, Koxinga instituted a policy in which soldiers served as farmers when they were not on duty. This gradually transformed Taiwan into a self-sufficient island."
 resist_qing_seaban: "Resist the Qing Sea Ban"
 resist_qing_seaban_desc: "The Qing instituted a decree to starve out the forces in Taiwan by relocating all of the coastal towns that had been the targets of raids by the Tungning kingdom. This backfired, as major waves of immigration occurred from these areas to Taiwan due to the hardships suffered from the sea ban. The son of Koxinga, Zheng Jing, further promoted immigration by promising free land in exchange for compulsory military service."
 sika_deer_skins: "Sika Deer skins"
 sika_deer_skins_desc: "A valuable native resource in Taiwan was its indigenous sika deer. The Dutch sold its skins in Japan, where they made sheaths and armour for the samurai, as well as on the European market. The kingdom of Tungning as well as the Qing continued with this trade, albeit at a smaller scale."
 aboriginals_of_formosa: "Aboriginal Tribes of Formosa"
 aboriginals_of_formosa_desc: "Taiwan was the home of many Polynesian tribes before people from the Middle Kingdom as well as European colonists started to arrive. The increasing immigration from the mainland put pressure on the native populations as more and more lands were being cultivated by the Han settlers. Some of the aboriginals were integrated by intermarrying with the Han, others exterminated when they rose up in rebellion. They eventually became a minority."
 cultivation_sugarcanes: "Cultivation of sugarcanes"
 cultivation_sugarcanes_desc: "The personal advisor of Zheng Jing, Chen Yung-Hua, initiated policies that boosted food, salt and brick production. He also found ways to reach the mainland market, despite the sea ban, by bribing Qing officials. The deliberate cultivation of sugarcane as a cash crop for trade with the European powers was also one of his ideas."

Reactions:
Today's developer diary was sadly not very specific whether Tungning is playable by decision or not.

So, the Manchu patch has released today. It's kind of sad how Tungning isn't playable in any legitimate way. It's not in later startdates, either.

Also, it's adjective is 'Taiwanese', shouldn't it just be 'Tungning'? Like, 'Tungning China', or 'Tungning Japan'?

Isn't this tag really playable by any chance?
Nope, an event triggered by Ming weakness spawns the tag in uncolonized provinces of Taiwan. You can't decide to play them when you're Ming.

you can easily full annex them and release and play as though.
Recent updates and DLC's have made tags like Transylvania, as well as pirate republics releasable+playable by event. Tungning has an event and a tag, only not a 'continue as them'-button.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Johan What do you think? Are the ideas viable for the game? It would be cool if the tag became playable in the future. Anyway, the code has been done in advance. ;)

@Meka66 What do you think? Not sure if you've seen it (apologies if you did), but the code has already been done by @Zephyrum

I just hope there will also be a way in the future to actually 'form' it instead of releasing it as a vassal after you conquered them during a Mingsplosion.

@Aldaron Hey there! Considering your time working on Polynesia, what do you think of these ideas for Tungning (even though it's a releasable)?

I just have to say that I'm really glad there's finally a developer talking with us about the map and the like, if you have any suggestions for me to help you guys compiling map-feedback or the like, let me know. Myself and others have made many a thread, but some might have been burried, or are not priority because of the developer's focus being on a another region (which is obviously fine). Almost every region has some kind of 'expert' on this forum, or multiple, even.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Aldaron Hey there! Considering your time working on Polynesia, what do you think of these ideas for Tungning (even though it's a releasable)?

I just have to say that I'm really glad there's finally a developer talking with us about the map and the like, if you have any suggestions for me to help you guys compiling map-feedback or the like, let me know. Myself and others have made many a thread, but some might have been burried, or are not priority because of the developer's focus being on a another region (which is obviously fine). Almost every region has some kind of 'expert' on this forum, or multiple, even.
Yes, I am aware. Do note that I have been around this forum the last 15 years and that until past October I was literally one of you so I know the Suggestion Forums pretty finely.

I am afraid that due to how this business works, we cannot have the communication we would like to have, so any communication has to be after stuff has been released or disclosed.

Now, do not worry that next time I need info, I will come to the forums to see if someone has covered the ongoing topic.

About your proposal, it falls into the sinosphere and is technically out of the scope of this DLC. Even then, adding new stuff is kind of problematic. I do hope you understand that.

In any case, do not despair. I have been following your work for months (probably even years if I do some research of your older posts) and I know you are a perfectionist and I will probably use something you researched in the future.

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I hope EU4's new direction doesn't have any adverse side-effects on the continuation of new National Idea-groups.

Having a legitimate way to play this very obscure, but interesting tag with its own ideas, would be awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, I am aware. Do note that I have been around this forum the last 15 years and that until past October I was literally one of you so I know the Suggestion Forums pretty finely.

I am afraid that due to how this business works, we cannot have the communication we would like to have, so any communication has to be after stuff has been released or disclosed.

Now, do not worry that next time I need info, I will come to the forums to see if someone has covered the ongoing topic.

About your proposal, it falls into the sinosphere and is technically out of the scope of this DLC. Even then, adding new stuff is kind of problematic. I do hope you understand that.

In any case, do not despair. I have been following your work for months (probably even years if I do some research of your older posts) and I know you are a perfectionist and I will probably use something you researched in the future.
At least please make this country playable. Idea update may follow later.

So, I saw how Manchuria, the Empire of China and parts of its surroundings will receive a minor update to their bonuses, stats, cultures, etc.

A good time to promote this tag's ideas (and playability!) again, especially because you will be allowed to change into one of the Ming rump-states!

@Aldaron What'd you say? Has the time come? ;)

Reactions:
So, I saw how Manchuria, the Empire of China and parts of its surroundings will receive a minor update to their bonuses, stats, cultures, etc.

A good time to promote this tag's ideas (and playability!) again, especially because you will be allowed to change into one of the Ming rump-states!

@Aldaron What'd you say? Has the time come? ;)
I have passed the message to my colleagues so we can discuss it. No promises though. :)

• 3Like
Reactions: