• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nerfix said:
You definedly did better than me with Brazil...

Brazil is hard, don’t you think? After this AAR I played 2-Sicilies and just stomped everyone. The score was something like 16000 to the second place 5000. My industrial score was 12000. I could never do that with Brazil.

The end of this game illustrates something else about Vicky. If you scroll up and look at France at the end of the game, you might think they did really well. They kicked the snot out of Prussia, the Netherlands, and Denmark, but they finished 8th—a distant 8th. Low prestige did them in. That’s the Zen of Vicky—navigating the prestige highway.

november said:
Brazil is hard, don’t you think? After this AAR I played 2-Sicilies and just stomped everyone. The score was something like 16000 to the second place 5000. My industrial score was 12000. I could never do that with Brazil.

The global shortage of steel didn't definedly help me. :mad:

november said:
I’ll take that as a compliment (top 90% could mean only 10% were worse)—I hope that’s what you intend. ;)

And—against my better judgment—I’m contemplating writing another AAR. I think I’m catching that bug.

One thing about game-based, strategy AARs such as this one compared to the literary ones is that a lot of the literary-type writers are so good at the game they’d be bored to tears writing about strategy. But that’s not me. Vicky still provides exciting challenges.

Oops. 90th percentile. Top 10%. You pick.

Others have too much crap. not enough substance. I like your mixture of crap and substance. It worked well.

plus I'm a newbie too. :) somewhat.

drop me a line when you write your next one! you seem to like an audience, anyways.

JohnF said:
Great story. I had a lot of fun reading this. I'm playing my first Vicky game now, as Brazil. She is a lot of fun, though I can't say I've done as well as you! Bravo!

John

Good luck with your game. If you follow the expansionist route, I recommend you go after the Two-Sicilies. I recently completed a game with them and the state that includes Taranto was insane with POP growth. I literally couldn’t build factories fast enough. It would really help Brazil’s POP shortage.

november said:
Good luck with your game. If you follow the expansionist route, I recommend you go after the Two-Sicilies. I recently completed a game with them and the state that includes Taranto was insane with POP growth. I literally couldn’t build factories fast enough. It would really help Brazil’s POP shortage.

Unfortunately, Italy united by about 1870 and is quite powerful. My expansion has been mostly colonial: I have more African holdings than anyone. Annexing Morrocco, Ethiopia and Egypt helped, though even doing it carefully it took my badboy high enough to provoke a Russian DoW. UK came and saved me, though! Had I not had my independence guaranteed, I would have been in a lot of trouble. Definitely need to be more careful in the future.

One thing I took to heart from your AAR was the importance of the navy. It was about 1880 in my game when I read your AAR, and I immediately traded a few islands (Zanzibar, Soccotra) for good navy techs. My small BB-CA-CL navy saved my bacon immediately after in a little war against Spain and France. Kept the whole massive French army bottled up at home while I raced to Madrid with 8 native divisions. I must've sunk 10 transports. Good times.

You wrote about getting good peace deals by capturing enemy capitals. I know that's a +20 to war score, but is there something else, too? Are they more likely to sign a treaty with their capital occupied, even beyond the +20?

John

JohnF said:
Unfortunately, Italy united by about 1870 and is quite powerful. My expansion has been mostly colonial: I have more African holdings than anyone.
Too bad. I’m not sure if this game was an anomaly but I’m going to check the 2-S’s from now on.

Annexing Morrocco, Ethiopia and Egypt helped, though even doing it carefully it took my badboy high enough to provoke a Russian DoW. UK came and saved me, though! Had I not had my independence guaranteed, I would have been in a lot of trouble. Definitely need to be more careful in the future.

Ouch. Sounds like you were too impatient. With the annexation 2-step you should be able to eat the entire uncivilized world—if you’re patient enough. :D

I still don’t have an accurate gauge as to when bb wars are triggered. I think between 20 and 30 you should be OK. There’s also a point where you become so strong that it doesn’t matter. But I was strong in this game and Russia DOWed.

One thing I took to heart from your AAR was the importance of the navy. It was about 1880 in my game when I read your AAR, and I immediately traded a few islands (Zanzibar, Soccotra) for good navy techs. My small BB-CA-CL navy saved my bacon immediately after in a little war against Spain and France. Kept the whole massive French army bottled up at home while I raced to Madrid with 8 native divisions. I must've sunk 10 transports. Good times.

Go navy!

You wrote about getting good peace deals by capturing enemy capitals. I know that's a +20 to war score, but is there something else, too? Are they more likely to sign a treaty with their capital occupied, even beyond the +20?

Not that I’m aware of, but alliances play a big part. I’ve noticed that if an opponent has an ally, even a little no-account one, they tend to be more stubborn. In a recent game I had an 88% score against Russia and had control of 60-70% of her provinces including St. Pete but she refused all peace offers. But the moment I landed troops in Greece—her only ally—she immediately offered peace.

Yes, navy is very good. But in most of my games it is very hard to keep up the race with UK in building naval units, not to mention also that they are also ahead in Naval research. So you can imagine what happens if a war with UK happens and you have a vast colonial empire to defend. One thing is good that UK seldom sends its transports heavily protected and it is very easy to strip British navy of all its transports.

Cornelius said:
Yes, navy is very good. But in most of my games it is very hard to keep up the race with UK in building naval units, not to mention also that they are also ahead in Naval research. So you can imagine what happens if a war with UK happens and you have a vast colonial empire to defend. One thing is good that UK seldom sends its transports heavily protected and it is very easy to strip British navy of all its transports.

Very true. So just don’t fight the Royal Navy. Putting aside the Royal Navy, if you create even a modest one, you can put it to good effect. In this game, Brazil’s entire fleet would have been sent to the Davey Jones’s Locker if it had to fight the Royal Navy, but it didn’t and her navy was more than adequate for the rest.

Don’t abandon the seas just because you can’t compete with the Royal Navy.

I must sincerly apologize for not following along with this AAR on it's initial run, but I did have the added benefit of being able to read through all of your adventures in one sitting. And what an adventure it was. Vindication with the Ottomans, the perfideous French, and beating the Bear? A wild ride that was aided by the well written updates, even if you felt the tone might have been uneven at times. I surely didn't think so. Great job! And a lot of fun to read! :D

coz1 said:
I must sincerly apologize for not following along with this AAR on it's initial run, but I did have the added benefit of being able to read through all of your adventures in one sitting. And what an adventure it was. Vindication with the Ottomans, the perfideous French, and beating the Bear? A wild ride that was aided by the well written updates, even if you felt the tone might have been uneven at times. I surely didn't think so. Great job! And a lot of fun to read! :D

Gee, coming from you that’s especially nice. Thanks.

I think the best way to enjoy an AAR is reading it through when it’s done.

I’ll probably try a fanfic type one day. In fact, I had started one with my current AAR before I came to my senses. I even had an elaborate (for me) storyline: two cardinal (the Red Hats) fighting for power and control of the aging but wily Pope. One is a militarists and wants to extend the State though conquest and military might. The other is a peace-seeker. Both are ambitious and think they have the Pope’s confidence but the Pope has his own game. And both want to succeed to Peter’s Throne.

Anyway, as you might guess I could have wasted a lot of time with that. ;)

november said:
Very true. So just don’t fight the Royal Navy. Putting aside the Royal Navy, if you create even a modest one, you can put it to good effect. In this game, Brazil’s entire fleet would have been sent to the Davey Jones’s Locker if it had to fight the Royal Navy, but it didn’t and her navy was more than adequate for the rest.

Don’t abandon the seas just because you can’t compete with the Royal Navy.
You know, there is a possibility to compete for naval supremacy and even fight the Royal Navy. Just did it with Russia, at one moment in game during an UK-Russia war, the entire UK navy was reduced to a couple of wooden ships that I wasn't able to find where they were located, and Russia had about 30 heavy cruisers. Btw, 2 heavy cruisers are better then even one dreadnought, because the capital ships lack torpedo attack in comparison with cruisers.

Cornelius said:
You know, there is a possibility to compete for naval supremacy and even fight the Royal Navy. Just did it with Russia, at one moment in game during an UK-Russia war, the entire UK navy was reduced to a couple of wooden ships that I wasn't able to find where they were located, and Russia had about 30 heavy cruisers. Btw, 2 heavy cruisers are better then even one dreadnought, because the capital ships lack torpedo attack in comparison with cruisers.

Can’t you attach torpedoes to dreadnaughts and battleships?

Yes, I’ve seen the Royal Navy destroyed. If you play a third- or second-tier nation, don’t count on doing it yourself though.

One of my fondest Vicky experiences was allying with GB as Spain and getting them embroiled in my war with the USA. The big boys smashed one another to pieces and Spain sailed to victory—sweet.

Anyway, Russia and the US can both take on the Royal Navy if they are single-minded about it.

november said:
Can’t you attach torpedoes to dreadnaughts and battleships?
Yes, I can do that, but it gives me a headache when I need to fully repair those "brigaded" ships. As it is now, if you have "brigaded" ships in a stack (fleet) some of the ships will not get to 100% health. If you have a small navy this issue can be neglected, but if it is considerable - no.

Cornelius said:
Yes, I can do that, but it gives me a headache when I need to fully repair those "brigaded" ships. As it is now, if you have "brigaded" ships in a stack (fleet) some of the ships will not get to 100% health. If you have a small navy this issue can be neglected, but if it is considerable - no.

Forgot about that bug. I stop adding attachments after getting BBs.

I also stoped adding "brigades" to ships, but after my recent game with Russia, my favourite ship became the Heavy Cruiser (HC) - has a good defence, good gun attack and also in comparison with BBs also torpedo attack. Also, if IRC 2 HC are cheaper and quicker to build in comparison with 1 BB, and at the same time a battle 2 HC : 1 BB is everytime won by HC. It was thanks to HC that I was able to almost wipe out the entire UK's Royal Navy.

But, you know, this will probably be tinkered with on the next patch... I wouldn't get too comfortable with any one kind of ship at this point :D