• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
november said:
lol
and standing on one foot with one hand tied behind your back

Actually, both hands behind your back, with a blindfold on, with...

Yeah, you get the picture. :D

Think it’s time to pull into the garage.

Brazil has a nice lead but it’s fragile. To fight off Russia, I would have to mobilize my 130 division pool (I may have built the pool too large). That along with my 130 division standing army would bankrupt me—literally. And for what gains?

At this juncture, if I can avoid wars, I think the game is mine.

So what I’m thinking of doing is creating the Ukraine. If my calculations are correct, that would take care of my border with Russia. Unfortunately I created about 12 Ukrainian divisions which I assume will go to the new satellite. That’s a small price to pay if it will avoid war. It will also reduce my bb quite a bit, but probably not enough to effect anything.

Anyway, that’s what my current thinking is.

Sometime in 1916 I should get my last two colonies, good for about 600 prestige points.

Yes, let's finish this AAR so you can get to work on the next one! 1st place as Luang Prabang, perhaps? :D

I daresay, that tub has been thoroughly thumped.

anonymous4401 said:
Yes, let's finish this AAR so you can get to work on the next one! 1st place as Luang Prabang, perhaps? :D

I daresay, that tub has been thoroughly thumped.

:rofl:

You bet! I've got the bloody knuckles to prove it!

Feb. 1913

Having a good lead this late in the game with Brazil was terra incognito for me.

Convinced that Russia would DOW me as soon as her war with China ended, I weighed my options. I could have a reprise of the last war where I attempted to hold Russia around Romania while striking through her ally Prussia. Or if Prussia bowed out, I was confident the Brazilian navy could steam right into St. Petersburg.

There were a lot of options but all of them had a downside--potentially game losing downsides. Why risk additional gains that could backfire horribly? So I decided to play it safe. I was convinced that I would win if I didn’t get embroiled in disastrous wars. Playing it safe is hard for me. My wife points out that I’m an impatient man with (tedious) regularity.

First, I looked at creating satellites in order to decrease my 80+ bb, as someone suggested in this thread. While that was hopeless, I noticed that a new Ukraine would eliminate my border with Russia. Simple—no border, no bb wars.

I created the Ukraine.

aar118.jpg

Border eliminating Ukraine

Unfortunately, I lost 12 divisions when I created her.

1913 passed into 1914 without any bb wars. I added divisions and dreadnaughts, which I keep doing for the remainder of the game.

Early in 1914, Russia and her host of allies attacked Austria. I watched with horror as one province after another fell to the Bear. Russia looked like it was going to flank me. Several captured provinces bordered mine.

Later during that year France became involved in a war with Great Britain. A little later the USA joined Great Britain—ouch.

Nov. 1915
The Russian-Austrian war ends. Austria losses about four provinces and is humiliated but Russia fails to gain a border with Brazil. (Yes, I was tempted to DOW Russia during that war but came to my senses.)

The colonies of Kenya and Tanganyika are founded for 600+ prestige.

Sometime during that year Russia and the Netherlands start a war that lasts through the remainder of the game.

During the last years of the game I had to put down one rebellion after another. This confirmed the correctness of my course of action. If I had been involved in a great war while my entire empire was in rebellion, well you can fill in the rest.

FINNALLY!

aar119.jpg

aar120.jpg

Europe at the end of the game

aar121.jpg

Africa

aar122.jpg

No game with Brazil would be complete without a screen shot of SA

Postscript: based on this game, I’ve concluded I need more experience playing with or against the Big Boys. So I’m casting about for challenges.

I’m sure I’ll have more to say in the post mortem, but if there’s a moral to be drawn from this game it’s: never underestimate the importance of a good navy. The Brazilian navy was the key to victory.

One last thought. I hope you enjoyed this game—I did. I consider the SA countries especially challenging and I wrote this AAR for all the other SA nation players out there.

Last edited:
Egypt is weird!

Ethiopia is unannexed!

Carlist Spain lives!

Go Ukraine!

anonymous4401 said:
Egypt is weird!

Ethiopia is unannexed!

Carlist Spain lives!

Go Ukraine!

Egypt and Otto must have been at war for 80% of the game.

Ethiopia had been annexed but I recreated her as a satellite in order to reduce bb.

I think the Ukraine fished my fat out of the fire.

Yay, one of my suggestions was actually used! :D Too bad about the loss of your 12 divisions, although it might help the Ukrainians defend themselves at some point--oh wait, the game's over. ;) Ah well.

So, what are your plans for any future AARs, huh?

Good stuff, november..

I think your point about the navy is key..
navies are important because claiming colonies is important, and they are never near to your main base..
Good move with the Ukraine;
and good luck in your next project, I am not sure if smaller countries are the way to go. Try it, but I think it is actually less fun overall

Heretic

Excellent going.

Post mortem begins.

A sobering element for any Brazil player is illustrated by the dust-up with Russia in the last decade of the game. Although Brazil’s military score was second at that time, her power was more apparent than real when compared to the Superpowers. A war of any length would have been ruinous financially. Although Brazil finished the game ranked 6th in industry, the nations above her were many times stronger—6 or 7 times stronger. Brazil could not have sustained a prolonged war with Russia.

This is a problem left for others to resolve. To win, Brazil will have to rack up a lot of bb which means she will be in danger of bb wars and her only allies will be satellites. One area where I screwed up was with the army techs. If I had been faster to get the techs, I may have been more sanguine about going toe-to-toe with Russia. As it was, all I wanted to do after the first bb war was find a way to secure peace.

This game illustrates Brazil’s overarching problem: lack of POPs. Going after colonial POPs will help her militarily but she must go after civilized provinces. I think Italy should be at the top of the list for all Brazil players. With a strong navy Italy is ripe for the pickings and the small countries there have a lot of POPs and factories. If I was going to play Brazil again, I’d forget about Otto until I had established a foothold in Italy.

If you play Brazil, build your navy.

Last edited:
Morpheus506 said:
Yay, one of my suggestions was actually used! :D Too bad about the loss of your 12 divisions, although it might help the Ukrainians defend themselves at some point--oh wait, the game's over. ;) Ah well.

So, what are your plans for any future AARs, huh?

I looked at that but it seemed I could get my bb down to only the high 40’s.

No plans for another AAR. In this one I thought I had something to offer, even if I lost I hoped it could be used by other Brazils players.

Writing the AAR was fun—everyone should do it. But if I was to do it again, I’d get several sessions ahead in the game and give myself time to reflect. My original conceit about creating an exciting AAR by playing-writing, playing-writing didn’t work too well.

Heretic said:
Good stuff, november..

I think your point about the navy is key..
navies are important because claiming colonies is important, and they are never near to your main base..
Good move with the Ukraine;
and good luck in your next project, I am not sure if smaller countries are the way to go. Try it, but I think it is actually less fun overall

Heretic

Go Navy! Brazil player’s mantra should be: “more ships, more ships, more ships.”

I agree about the small nations. I think I’ve had enough of the low-POP countries for awhile.

I don’t want to play the Big Four or Five but I do want to take them on. So I’m thinking about France, Spain, or Otto. Maybe Austria. Maybe Prussia.

In my SP GCs I’ve seen the AI win with UK, USA, Russia, and Austria.

Nice game, nice story telling!
I never imagined that with Brasil it is possible to end the game in the 1st place.

I should try it for myself and be more expansionist as you were. I only once or twice played with Brasil at the begining when I bought Vicky.

Cornelius said:
Nice game, nice story telling!
I never imagined that with Brasil it is possible to end the game in the 1st place.

I should try it for myself and be more expansionist as you were. I only once or twice played with Brasil at the begining when I bought Vicky.

I lost a couple of times when I was *trying* to win.

Brazil is fun.

november said:
I looked at that but it seemed I could get my bb down to only the high 40’s.

No plans for another AAR. In this one I thought I had something to offer, even if I lost I hoped it could be used by other Brazils players.

Writing the AAR was fun—everyone should do it. But if I was to do it again, I’d get several sessions ahead in the game and give myself time to reflect. My original conceit about creating an exciting AAR by playing-writing, playing-writing didn’t work too well.

On the contrary, I liked your AAR quite a bit: I'd rank it in the top 90% of the ones that I've read.

Damion said:
On the contrary, I liked your AAR quite a bit: I'd rank it in the top 90% of the ones that I've read.

I’ll take that as a compliment (top 90% could mean only 10% were worse)—I hope that’s what you intend. ;)

And—against my better judgment—I’m contemplating writing another AAR. I think I’m catching that bug.

One thing about game-based, strategy AARs such as this one compared to the literary ones is that a lot of the literary-type writers are so good at the game they’d be bored to tears writing about strategy. But that’s not me. Vicky still provides exciting challenges.