• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

november

Lt. General
89 Badges
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
GC with Brazil; vanilla 1.03b; normal/normal; no cheats (except badboy), no do-overs.

Goal: to win.

In my dozen or so SP GCs I’ve played Brazil 6 times. Brazil is great for new players; its isolation makes it ideal for learning the game. After role-playing several times, my goal was to win in the last few games, a goal in which I failed. But I learned a lot about the challenges facing third-tier nations like Brazil. I think I have a pretty good grasp of the strategic options available to her, and I’ll try to put what I’ve learned into practice in this AAR.

Regardless of the outcome, this will be my last game with Brazil for some time. Either I win and “graduate,” or I lose and need to move on.

Brazil starts the GC ranked 49th.
Literacy: 8% (29 have at least 50%)
Factories: 0 ( 27 have at least1 and 6 have 10 or more)
Techs researched: 14, Prussia has 28 for example
Population 5,915,000 (20th, but 25% are slaves)
Provinces: 75, same as France (7th)

Brazil has just two things going for it: the large number of provinces generates cash from the RGOs; its isolation, impoverished as it is it can easily dominate its neighbors. But this isolation turns out to be one of its biggest problems. A parochial South American strategy will lose, all things being equal.

In my experience, Brazil has four viable strategies:

1. Warmongering conquest of SA. Let’s call this SA-Fist.
2. Maintain peace in SA and colonize Africa. Let’s call this Chaquita.
3. Small beer warmongering in SA with heavy colonizing and an eye toward Europe. The Coattails strategy.
4. Peace, no wars or colonizing. Sandbox strategy.

Sandbox is good for role-playing only, so of no interest here.

The SA-Fist has much to recommend it. It’s easy to do—an alliance or two then drop then hammer. Plus annexed provinces will soon have POPs with Brazilian culture appear, either through emigration or assimilation (haven’t seen this with annexed European provinces). But it’s really much ado about nothing. For the prestige loss and bb gained, the prize is pretty meager. Although there’s a few tasty provinces in SA (Peru’s sulphur comes to mind), it’s slim pickens—laughably so when compared to European provinces. If you want to face bb wars, it’s much better to rake in some factory-rich Euro provinces.

You may be asking, why can’t you go for SA conquest and colonize too? Brazil barely has enough resources—money, manpower—to conquer SA let alone colonize Africa. In practice I’ve found the SA-Fist strategy denudes options elsewhere.

Oops, this post is getting long. We’ll look at the other strategies and then fire-up Vicky.

BIG EDIT: 7/18 This is my first AAR. Taking advantage of a rare opportunity for an all-day game session, the first 20-25 years were played at a single go. The first 20 or so posts were breathlessly written as events unfolded. Things will inevitably slow. The one problem I had was the online service I registered for took 24 hours to finalize things, and I stupidly failed to take a lot of screen shots yesterday. Things are square now and I’ve added some shots and will take them faithfully as the game progresses. I’ve plenty of saves though.

Last edited:
OK.

The Chaquita, like SA-Fist has a lot going for it. Besides the prestige gains, colonial POPs greatly ease the manpower shortage. True, colonial troops are inferior but they’re fine for colonial wars and wars against uncivilized countries, which is what this strategy is all bout. But this strategy won’t win the game.

This bring use to the best strategy for winning—Coattails. Coattails calls for a little warmongering in SA, heavy colonization, and involvement in European wars by riding the coattails of an European ally. This means staying flexible and being constantly on the alert for opportunity, so a large standing army is required.

So here’s the general plan: colonize as much as possible from game start; quick, sharp wars with Uruguay and Paraguay, cement an alliance with a European GP. My target will be France because it presents a lot of opportunity for mischief.

I plan to colonize Yebuti on the west with an eye toward Ethiopia, Egypt and Otto (this is central to my plan); Cameroon in central Africa with an eye toward Upper Cameroon, and Sokoto; and Infi in the north, hence Morocco and then Spain.

Regardless of the strategy, Brazil must concentrate on the culture tech strategy in order to get enough prestige to become a GP. As a GP Brazil will get machine parts and have a better time of it for its diplomacy. I’ll have more to say about this approach as the game progresses, but I plan an aggressive and single-minded culture tech strategy then a lot of tech trading about the middle of the game. This means keeping good relations with potential tech-trading partners for some time. I foresee a bb blowout sometime after 1880.

Good, like’s fire her up.

Last edited:
Good news, bad news and a stupid blunder.

The good news is Yebuti is mine.

The bad news is *&%!** Spain beat me to Infi.

The stupid blunder is I claimed Seguia el Hamra to spite Spain. As soon as I did it, I realized I might not have enough wood to claim all three of Cameroon’s provinces. Lumber is often impossible to get early in the game. Crap.

Oct. 16 ‘38

Claims on Yebuti and all of Cameroon’s provinces so they’ll become colonies soon. Time to put a buy order in for clipper convoys. I debate claiming a province in Somialand but reject that. As soon as I can claim Yebuti, I’ll begin raising native troops and ferrying troops from home in preparation for a war with Ethiopa.

Because I now have 2 of my 3 footholds in Africa, I can turn toward SA. I buy 1 new division with an artillery attachment. The four divisions (the new one plus the original 3) should be enough for Urugay. Chile offered an alliance so I should be safe from my other neighbors for this little war.

I stopped spending money on crime fighting for now in order to get my income up to the 25 range. Education spending is at 100%. Defense spending is about 60%.

Clausewitzian.

First 2 techs: Introspection and Romanticism.

Create my first general—de Caxias who is a regular Napoleon.

Actually able to buy 20 wood on the WM.

Jan 9, ’39.

Trouble!

Chile asks that I honor my alliance and declare war on Peru! What should I do? Both nations have negative prestige. Peru has no allies and a mil rating of 1; Chile’s is 2—mine’s 5.

I have 7k in the bank. I could increase my mobilization pool to 5 and raise another division immediately.

It’s too soon. The danger of course is that one of them will become powerful at the expense of the other. I want the status quo (excepting my intended victims—Uruguay and Paraguay). The less time I spend on SA affairs, the better.

I decline and declare war on Uruguay instead :D

Sept. 4, ‘39

Poor Uruguay! Paraguay dishonored its alliance with them, then Venezuela offered me an alliance (invalid against Columbia). Then they loaned me troops :rofl:

I annexed them. I’ve kept 3 divisions on station and de Caxias was sent back to Rio with the artillery.

While I wait for the colonies to come on line, I scheme. My next move will either be Ethiopia or Paraguay. It’ll probably be Ethiopia—I don’t want my bb too high too soon.

After Ethiopia, I’ll aim for Oman and its African colony. My hope is that by taking Oman it will bump me up against Russia—yes! I want at them! My hope is that I can take advantage of them during one of their interminable wars. Of course, Otto is a good prize too.

Last edited:
Feb. 28, ‘40

Another tough choice. An event that affects my relations with Peru at the expense of prestige, which is only 60. A –10 hit would not be good at this point. I opt for the middle choice, -50 relations but only –1 prestige.

What I feared seems to be happening. At first, Chile’s war was going their way but now it looks like Peru will emerge the victor and much stronger. Rats!

Meanwhile, I convert a large POP and build several new divisions, including one in my new colony of Yebuti.

But I don’t have any clipper convoys and there’s none to be had.

3rd tech researched: Idealism.

Egypt and Otto are at war.

Jan. ‘42

More good news and more bad news.

The bad news is that Peru eviscerated Chile and has become dangerous. I’ve began cultivating Argentina and will probably have to move up my timetable for Paraguay before Peru takes it. That will teach Chile to rely on Brazil. :D

The good news—really good news—is that the invention Neokantian Idealism fired for 115 prestige and that along with claiming Cameroon shot Brazil to 225 prestige, first in the world. Brazil is a GP—7th! No doubt that is a low number due to my negative industry score. Clipper convoys finally became available and building 3 transports and a MW put me in the red.

BR-aar-2.png

Now things start in earnest.

I picked Freedom of Trade for my fourth tech. I always pick this one even when going aggressively after the culture techs because it enables the building of an assortment of useful factories (still no machine parts, however).

EDIT: added screen shot from about this time.

Last edited:
March 17, ‘42

All is ready. I’m back in the black. My 7 divisions are poised to strike Ethiopia. I’ve 2 good generals and 3 regular divisions—should be enough.

I think I have Peru checkmated for the moment. I renewed my alliance with Venezuela, then Columbia offered a defensive alliance which I gladly accepted. And after getting my relations with Argentina over 190, it accepted my offer of alliance. Then I guaranteed Paraguay’s independence—hey! I want it for myself :cool:

The only cloud on the horizon is the liberal revolution. Several provinces are in the red and I have only 3 divisions back home. I haven’t enacted any reforms yet; soon as this war with Ethiopia is over I’ll tend to it.

Oct. 16, ‘46

Sweet victory!

The Ethiopian war went without a hitch. I annexed 7 of their 9 provinces, leaving them only Gondar and Addis Abbaba. Of course, this two-step dance prevents bb generation.

I convert some Ethiopian POPs and build 3 cavalry divisions. They’re good for garrisoning newly conquered provinces and claim jumping as I fully intend a little later.

I immediately send the regulars home. It’s time to look back toward SA for my last—I hope—territorial demand there. :D After Paraguay, I’ll turn once again toward Africa and Arabia.

Luckily several pluralism-reducing events fired and the revolt risk as eased somewhat at home.

Jan. 14, ‘50

Well, I just couldn’t wait.

I swallowed Paraguay in one fell swoop. My 7 non-native divisions made swift work of them. I took all their provinces except Asuncion. Plus war indemnities.

But—and a big but—the 100 prestige cost has move me out of GP status. And since I still don’t have any machine parts, this is not good.
What can I do? Brazil must make hay while the sun shines. I’m on a schedule that has Brazil facing off with the big boys sometime after the ‘80’s. Time’s a wastin'.

All my alliances are still in place. I’m contemplating guaranteeing friendless Chile’s independence. I want SA to be calm and quiet for the remainder of the game. I can’t be involved in any more wars there, not with bb at 20.63. Hopefully my strategy of alliances and balance of power will let me focus elsewhere.

Towards that end, I’ve began cultivating France. I plan to offer an alliance in 5-10 years by which time I should be able to ride their coattails—hopefully some pretty wild rides.

Next is a moment to get back in the black. Brazil is always juggling its too few resources. Plus I’ll have to garrison my new provinces for some time. After that, it’s on to Oman.

Last edited:
Sept. 11 ‘50

Uh oh!

Right after I guaranteed Chile’s independence, my alliance with Argentina expired and it immediately made an alliance with Peru. It then rejected my alliance offer (even though our relations were 190). Um. I wonder what’s afoot?

My strategy calls for a free hand in SA so I can concentrate on Europe and Africa which is predicated on SA remaining quiet. Hopefully my alliances with Columbia and Venezuela coupled with a soon to be massive army will make Argentina and Peru behave.

I have 21 divisions. Peru has 6 and Argentina 2.

Just as I was deciding that my war with Paraguay had been rash and probably a serious blunder, the invention Hegelian Idealism fired for 203 prestige, which propelled me back to GP status.

As soon as I’m back in the black I'm attacking Oman.

After that, who knows? Hopefully I’ll have secured an alliance with the Frogs and can start a colonial war or five.

Where are my machine parts?

EDIT: spelling, grammar etc.

Last edited:
Aug. 15, ‘53

Alright. It’s the run up to my war with Oman.

I’ve 33 division, of which 14 are still on garrison duty. The remaining are, of course, more than enough for the war. It’s the aftermath they’re being prepared for—garrison duty.

Several more inventions have fired:

Proto-Existentialism for 135 pp
Romanticist Art for 60 pp
Romanticist Lit for 1 pp
Romanticist Music for 1 pp

At any rate, Brazil’s 577 prestige is good for second. Overall Brazil is 5th, but still no machine parts.

I went with Nepotism.

Still neglecting reforms.

June 8, 1856

The news from the front is good indeed.

Oman is in my hands, all of it except Masqat. And Zanzibar. After conquering it, I rashly left it ungarrisoned and partisans appeared immediately. Before I could send a division back, it declared itself an independent country. Oh well, I’ll deal with them later. I was able to fight this war and build a surplus at the same time.

The booty includes the Swahili Coast colony plus several claims Oman had.

The game is 20 years old and the central plank of my strategy is in place. It’s time to look at bigger game. I’ve increased my relations with France to where they should agree to an alliance. Badboy is about 18 now, although Venezuela refused to renew our alliance. I’m down to a single ally—Columbia (who did renew).

Things are going OK. The biggest problem is lack of machine parts—I still haven’t been able to buy any!

The rest of the world is largely status quo from the game’s outset. Egypt and Otto’s war changed nothing. Persia is still around. Mexico has given the US a hard time; Texas is gone. It looks like the biggest loser so far is the poor Chile.

I went with Aristocracy and then Establishment.

So the game changes now. It’s time to be a rank opportunists and grab whatever comes along. I want Egypt. I want Otto. I want hunks of Russia, Prussia, and Spain.

Where are my machine parts?? :confused:

By the way, if you’re wondering—yes, I have the house to myself. What a delicious luxury! My wife and children are away. So it’s huge tumblers of tea, a few smokes (outside—don’t tell my wife!). So it’s an all day session with Vicky.

Last edited:
The game is at a crossroads; let’s survey the situation together, shall we?

Brazil’s military rating is 7th (33). I have 11 divisions in Africa. I should be able to leverage that, don’t you think?

This game has been unusual, there’s been relatively little colonizing. Vast tracts go unclaimed. While this presents opportunity, it makes short, sweet colonial wars impossible.

Although SA remains quiet, do I dare transfer the bulk of my divisions (my best ones) to Africa once the annexed provinces no longer present a revolt risk? I think so. A large mobilization pool, plus alliances with Columbia and France (hopefully) should give my neighbors pause. I’ll assume it so.

In the larger picture though, the lack of factories is very troubling. Twenty years in and nary a machine part! Without a strong industrial base, even if opportunity presented itself via the Coattails strategy, would be able to grab it with both hands? No, I don’t think so.

It looks to me like I have no choice but to slowly build colonies and wait for the machine parts to show up. But what about the alliance with France? Maybe I would be better off waiting until I could ride the wave. I don’t really need France’s protection. What do you think?

If only I had machine parts. :mad:

March 22, ‘57

Here we go!

But before I get to the big news—first things first.

I sold Mogidishu in Somaliland to Otto for 5k and Strategic Mobility. I used the cash to build a trading post in Fashoda in Bahr el-Ghazal. I still have one claim in Somaliland. Don’t worry, I plan to take the rest in a colonial war. ;)

I finally got machine parts 3 of them! First is a lumber mill in Rio.

OK, here it is. I made an alliance with France. What the hell—let’s go for it? Ride the wave, baby, ride the wave. And it’s a big wave! France wants me honor our alliance and declare war on—who else—Russia. I’m going for it! It’s what I wanted, after all.

Russia has no allies and is at war with the entire world, well at least Otto, France, the UK, and a lot of other flags. Sweet!

So what’s in it for me this time round? I don’t see landing in the Crimea and making for St. Petersburg—not this time--but taking its few African claims seems fitting, then who knows?

Stay tuned.

March 20, ‘58

Bulletin.

France has asked that I honor our alliance in another of its little wars. OK, now I’m at war with
Russia
Austria
Modena
Parma
Tuscany
2-Sicilies
Papal States

ScreenSave6.gif

:rofl:

I’ve been running my cavalry around after Russia’s African claims (about 8 as I figure it).

Dare I move my navy of 1 MW and 6 transports into the Med.? An Italian province or two—it might have factories!—would look nice, eh? Dare I?

EDIT: added screen shot

Last edited:
Aug. 15, ‘58

This may be bad.

Although I began preparing for an invasion of Sicily, cooler heads in the war cabinet prevailed.

Things aren’t going too well for France. Austria seems to be crushing my allies as well as Russia with its 170 divisions. Plus it has about 15 ships in the Med., much too risky for my puny navy. 2-Sicilies has about an equal number. The UK is not at war with Austria, so I need to heed those navies. :(

I feel like a spectator at a prize fight. The big boys are duking it out alright but I have to be satisfied with stealing Russia’s colonial claims—this time.

Hopefully white peace offers will soon be coming in.

Last edited: