• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Golden_Deliciou said:
I don't think Ottoman typically builds factories in that area (there's no-one there, is there?) but I have to admit I'm not hugely experienced.

Typically I find that you don't get many factories unless you take a whole state. So to deal with this whilst avoiding getting borders with the big powers, and maybe avoid too much more BB, you could go for some islands- particularly Sardinia- as these can be low on provinces. If you're doing that, you might also want to hollow out mainland Piemonte as well- that is, take all their provinces which don't directly border the Great Powers.

I remember taking those provinces from Otto when I was play France or Portugal and it was like Christmas there was so many factories. But I also recall taking them in other games and finding not a single one. Some of those provinces are chockablock with POPs, however.

Yes, I think I’ll put my sights on S-P. I’ll conquer the remnants of Ethiopia and Oman then satellite (satellite is a verb?) them in order to diminish bb.

Last edited:
Remember: Tripoli is huge in size, low in population, and with worthless resources. They would make a great bb-reducing satellite.

As far as future strategy goes, how bad is the Austrian/Ottoman/UK war going for Austria? Smashing them while they are already being bullied might be your best option. Face them when they already have their forces deployed in the Balkans. I also get the impression war indemnities would be way more from them than the OE.

I very rarely see a Carlist Spain. Interesting.

november,

I would recommend continuing your Italian adventure, at least all of your wars will be realitevly short, and it does give you ready made industry on a plate. Not to mention craftsmen and clerk POPs.
I think Tripoli is nice if you want to clean up that part of Africa, but it has little more value.
Yup, I'd recommend Italy first, then Ottomans. Perhaps work south to the toe of the boot, and then take stock.

Heretic

I would suggest attacking Portugal.

A better idea would be to continue with Italy. There's sulfur in the south and POPs in the North. You might have to get into wars with some heavy hitters in order to end up on top at the end. I bet humiliating Austria would do wonders for your prestige. France is also a tempting target, they probably have a good amount of factories, and declaring war would only cost 1 prestige.

Good suggestions, all!

PriestOfDiscord: Very good suggestion. I’m not sure how it’s going for Austria but I can’t imagine it ending well. For some reason I hadn’t put Austria in my calculations—spot on.

Heretic: Yes, I think that’s good. Better than more OE adventures.

Troggle: Portugal? Um, I’ve kept my eye on them. Relieving them of their colonial burden is tempting. While they have no allies, GB guarantees their independence too.

I like how you guys think. Brazil’s only chance is flexibility coupled with ruthlessness when the opportunity arises. I suppose my strategy is working to that extent: Brazil’s opportunities have skyrocketed. But which opportunity? Which opportunity?

Its been too long unfortunately since I played Vikcy for me to be able to offer any helpful comments, but its fun to see how you're doing.

I DOWed S-P.

I didn’t bother moving troops into position beforehand, relaying instead on my 10 transport ships and the local garrisons. I’ve noticed too that aggressive troop deployments can sendsa signal to the AI who will then scramble to secure an alliance.

My garrison was able to beat back S-P’s attack into Modena. My troops from N. Africa disembarked into Genova unopposed. By the time the fleet made another roundtrip, S-P was raising the white flag. I settled a peace shown in this screen shot.

ScreenSave46.gif

Badboy was now 33.5.

I immediately DOWed Oman’s remaining province. The game mechanism requires specific provinces when creating a satellite. I needed that last province in order to create a bb-reducing satellite.

After annexing Oman, I created the satellite which reduced my bb to 27.5. Still high considering that I now have a boarder with Austria.

Austria, by the way, was still fighting with the UK, OE and their allies. Her war weariness was over 40%. I contemplated DOWing her and making a mad dash for Vienna when events were taken out of my hands.

Last edited:
The tranquil peace in South America was shattered when Peruvian troops poured over the border into Chile. Chile called on her ally Colombia who called on her ally Brazil. Ah!

This is one of those dilemmas that endure Vicky to me. Should I take advantage of a staggering Austria, or turn yet again to SA; a SA deliberately left behind?

Agitated though I was that my world-straddling strategy was in danger of derailment due to saber-rattling in far off—or so it seemed—podunk, I deliberated my options as coldly as I could. I decided it was time to settle the geopolitical situation in SA once and for all.

I DOWed Peru. MY other allies—France, Venezuela, and Oman—did the same. France’s ally the Two-Sicilies followed suit. Peru’s lone ally, Argentina, then DOWed me and immediately crossed over the border into Brazil.

Uh, there was one tiny problem, illustrated by this screen shot.

What’s wrong with this picture?

ScreenSave47.gif

Right, Brazil doesn’t have a single division anywhere near SA. All her troops are in N. Africa and Italy.

I was counting on my fleet--and my reserves. I mobilized and sent the fleet from Italy to Buenos Aires loaded with ten divisions.

Then I got quite a shock. When I started to deploy the 40 divisions from the pool, only a few were Brazilian! Most were Italian! WTF? I had converted some recently annexed POPs to soldiers, but now fully 80% of Brazil’s army was Italian? How did that happen?

I deployed the few Brazilian divisions in front of the approaching enemy armies and the rest in Italy. Lol! If Brazil pulls this one off, the boys in the Navy will have the thanks of the entire nation.

My troops from N. Africa landed unopposed in Buenos Aires. After taking the province, I demanded they become a satellite and pay war indemnities. They eagerly accepted. One thorn in my side removed permanently.

Sidebar: I used to ban things I considered exploits. At one time I considered Ai capitol grabbing an exploit. But no more. I intend to play the game as it’s designed. The only rule is no cheats or do overs.

Another curious thing happened with that peace settlement and is shown in this next screen shot. I also received Resistencia even though I hadn’t conquered it or asked for it. Strange. I recall an event that said several provinces would henceforth be considered Brazilian national provinces. Perhaps this is one of those, but I really don’t know why I got it.

ScreenSave48.gif

I loaded the victorious troops in Buenos Aires onto transports and made for Lima, fully intending another swift victory after taking Peru’s capitol.

But look what I found when I got there.

ScreenSave50.jpg

The Two-Sicilies had beat me to the punch! Now what?

I deployed the troops into Psico and sent the fleet back to Italy for more divisions.

Peru’s troops were flung to the far corners of SA fighting Chile, Colombia, et al. I quickly grabbed control of several provinces.

Peru, desperate to extricate themselves from their suicidal blunder, offered to restore all of Chile’s original provinces. Chile accepted and all my allies acquiesced and bowed out of the war. It was a war between Peru and Brazil now.

I quickly made for the now Peru-controlled Lima. There were several tense moments as I waited for my fleet to make the trip from the Mediterranean to the West coast of SA before Peru could concentrate her forces.

I conquered Lima and dug-in. Finally! The beautiful white sails of the fleet appeared off the coast of Lima. The tide turned in Brazils’ favor. After rejecting several peace offers, Peru agreed to the same terms that Argentina had accepted.

Perfect! Peru and Argentina are permanently removed as potential enemies and wreckers of the peace, and rendered allies. Chile had been restored to its former glory.

The next screen shot tells the tale.

ScreenSave53.jpg

See that bit at the top of the screen shot? Ah me. What’s wrong with these Americans? They live for war apparently.

But that war is for the next installment.

Last edited:
Golden_Deliciou said:
Nice update. I like seeing how people cope with surprises like that.

When you make a nation your sattelite, you get any of your national provinces which it had controlled.

That explains it then. Thanks.

Troggle said:
The invention, Expansionism adds a new core, but only fires if your party is jingoistic, which is should be since you are :p

Maybe that or Manifest Destiny

Jingoistic? Maybe, but SA countries have a very tough time piling up a good industrial score, as I think my AAR demonstrates. The cure for that is expansion into POP-rich areas which, unfortunately, isn’t SA.

7/18/87

Just as I had settled the S. American geopolitical situation once and for all, general war broke out in Central America. Mexico piled on. Haiti piled on. El Salvador joined the fun.

Look.

aar100.gif

I have several war aims: settle the Central American geopolitical situation without getting any more badboy points; satellite, humiliate and demand war indemnities from as many of my enemies as possible.

I also need to end the war quickly because mobilization costs are crippling. Most of my troops are still in Italy.

By the way, at about this time Otto’s war with Austria ends. Although Austria loses, it doesn’t look too bad for her (sorry, no screen shot). And of course Great Britain finally lets her guarantee of Otto’s independence lapse. Lol. There’s nothing I can do about it at this juncture.

Anyway, I call on my beloved and over-worked Navy yet again, this time to embark the troops around Lima for Mexico. Brazil’s 20+ ship navy is by no means top-shelf, but it’s strong enough to project Brazil’s power at will against the smaller nations. Without it, Brazil’s strategic options would be diminished to the point of hopelessness. God bless the Navy!

Because of the cost of these wars, Brazil determines to prosecute this one on the cheap. While she increases the naval budget to 100%, she increase her army spending to only 75%. It’s a gamble but the cost of mobilizing 40 divisions—most of whom are drinking wine in sunny Italy—is astronomical.

My troops land in Acapulco and so begins the Mexican campaign. My goal is Mexico City and the peace table ASAP. The fleet makes back for Lima for more troops.

Mexico City falls and several of the surrounding provinces are in Brazil’s hands. Thanks to the navy, Brazil has over 20 divisions in Mexico.

1/2/88 The new year arrives and with it good news. Mexico accepts peace on the following conditions: it agrees to pay war indemnities and become a satellite of Brazil.

I’m depending on all these war indemnities because my debt burden is 90K. I now have the Papal States, Peru, Argentina, and Mexico paying my way. Boy, I love war indemnities!

The yeoman navy loads 9 divisions from Mexico and makes for Costa Rica. When the navy pulls up, we see that Colombia apparently has things well in hand.

aar101.jpg

The navy is sent immediately to the Caribbean for operations against Haiti.

Haiti has two divisions dug-in. I land my 9 under-strength divisions confident of an easy victory. But something tells me to maintain the fleet on post. And thank god I do! Things go from bad to worse and the 9 divisions are ordered to retreat. Without the fleet lying at anchor, those divisions would have nowhere to retreat and so be lost.

I disembark the humiliated divisions in Brazil and send the fleet back to the Pacific for more—and better—troops still in Mexico.

About this time, Brazil’s alliance with France expires. Although relations with her are at 200, she rejects Brazil’s offer to renew the alliance. Uh oh, this may be the first sign of badboy troubles to come. Although Brazil has several satellite allies, they are all far from Europe where badboy wars are most likely to start.

The Navy is back on the job.

aar102.jpg

The 10 divisions should be enough for El Salvador. And it turns out that it is. Just as San Salvador is about to fall, Haiti offers a white peace. I think about rejecting it for a moment, but in the end I accept. I’m worried that bb wars may erupt in Europe or Africa while I’m embroiled in Central American affairs.

El Salvador agrees to become a satellite and is also humiliated. Immediately after the peace is settled, the 10 divisions (it’s handy to be able to reinforce your divisions in a satellite’s provinces) are sent to Costa Rica.

12/15/88 As it turns out, Colombia did not have things under control in Costa Rica after all. I land the El Salvador victors in Costa Rica.

After defeating the Costa Rican army but before San Jose falls, France accepts my new offer of alliance. A great Christmas present! This is a tremendous relief because it should effect anyone contemplating bb wars, and also indicates that my badboy score—around 25—may not be dangerously high after all.

San Jose falls and Costa Rica accepts humiliation and becomes a satellite of Brazil. The war is over.

aar103.gif

This short war of only a year and a half has netted Brazil three more satellites, war indemnities from Mexico, and prestige from humiliating two of her opponents.

From a high of 90K, Brazil’s debt has actually dropped to 70K during the latter stages of the war due to war indemnities. Did I mention I love those things?

Brazil’s score should actually be 70 points higher. Each 1k of debt reduces your industrial score by 1.

With the war over, Brazil is confident she can retire her debt quickly and embark on an orgy of industrialization. She can face the decade of the nineties with confidence. She looks forward to several years of peace.

Oh yea, now that Brazil’s wars are over, Great Britain renewed her guarantee of Otto’s independence. Somehow I’m not surprised.

Last edited:
Troggle said:
You beat those British down, without ever having to lay a finger on them. Your strategy of marching around and humiliating people certainly did the trick :)

So far so good. *knocks on wood* But the game is far from over and as far as I can tell, GB hasn’t suffered any major disasters. So we’ll see.

My style in this AAR has been to play a little, write a little and not get far ahead in the game without posting. You know as much as I do.

Go Brazil! (waves flag)
Sorry for being so late to the party, though.

Golden_Deliciou said:
You'd better hope you have avoided BB wars. Your position as #1 looks very fragile as its so dependent on Prestige. Hopefully five or so years of peace will let your more tangible assets grow.

How right you are!

Except for France, my allies are all far from Europe.

My troops are scattered between C. America, Italy, and Africa. If a nation with a *real* navy declares war, I could easily be undone.

Plus I’m 70K in debt and a third-rater in the industrial race.

I will increase my mobilization pool to 50-55 as soon as possible. Hopefully, if I have to rely on the mob pool, the majority can be deployed in Italy.

I’ll also add 5-6 ships to the navy and attempt to trade for more naval/military techs.

But the fact that France agreed to alliance is a positive sign badboy-wise—right? *whistles past the graveyard*

november said:
But the fact that France agreed to alliance is a positive sign badboy-wise—right? *whistles past the graveyard*

Yeah. What's their military like? I note they're not a Great Power.

Last we saw was 83-4, they had around 100 industry and 60 military.