• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
June 5, ‘60

France et al settled a status quo peace with Austria et al.

Otto and the rest us of beat Russia in the Crimean war. Otto now owns much of the Crimea. The UK also got a few provinces from the Bear. Except for some claims, I got bukus.

Austria and Russia war on and although Austria is doing very well, now that Russia can brings its might against her, who know?

BR-aar-3.gif

I need to build up my navy. If I’d had a decent navy, I would have invaded the Two-Sicilies.

I’m contemplating a colonial war with Otto or Portugal.

I’m ranked 5th but far behind the UK. I’m disappointed that I couldn’t ride the wave a little farther. My guess is that the odds of Brazil winning has diminished during the past 5 years.

2 factories.

BR-aar-4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job running around africa. Better watch out for Peru though--those guys can get pretty nasty if the union survives. When are we gonna get screenies, btw? :)

Gj. Will there be any screenies?

A trooper said:
Gj. Will there be any screenies?

Starting today, or the next time I get to play. The site I planned using for photo storing only finalized it this morning. I do have a few screenshots from yesterday, I guess it’s legit to go back and post them.

EDIT: added some screen shots. Now that my online storage is set, I'll take screenies more frequently.

Alright, enough time for a quick session with Vicky.

Brazil needs peace and time to industrialize. The question is: do I have time? Third-tier nations don’t have the luxury of time. Playing Brazil is like being a shark; you have to constantly move forward or die. But that’s why we play these third-tier countries, for the challenge--right?

In stead of starting a colonial war with Otto for Somaliland, I’m contemplating selling my last claim there, Kismayu, for $$ and techs.

The Coattails strategy is working to a tee. Brazil has to grow stronger in order to ride the next wave longer and farther. I think Egypt might be my next target.

ScreenSave9.gif

June 11, ‘62

Finally! Prestige-gaining inventions. In quick succession:

Realist Art 225 pp
Empiricism 150 pp
Realist Literature 230 pp
Realist Music 150 pp
Pragmatism 200 pp

See the result.

ScreenSave11.gif

In two separate deals with France I sold my three claims in the Ivory Coast for 27k, Experimental RR, Stock Exchange, and Breech-loaded rifles. The stock exchange tech is important because it will raise tax efficiencies. We all know the importance of the experimental RR tech.

Since these claims came at Russia’s expense, maybe the Coattails strategy is paying-off a little better than I though.

I now have claims in Tanganyika, Uganda, and both provinces of Bahr el-Ghazal.

On the down side, France has rejected my offer to renew our alliance twice. This is OK for a couple more years, but I desperately need a GP ally.

With only Columbia as an ally, I feel vulnerable. Peru is ranked 16. I can feel her eyes on my land. There’s no longer any revolt risk in the provinces annexed from Paraguay so I can transfer them to Africa—if I dare.

I need 2-3 more years then it’s on to Cairo (and Otto and Spain and??).

Good Going!

Haven’t had much time to play today but I have been thinking about Vicky. ;)

At this point, Brazil faces two overarching problems: first, time and timing; second, Great Britain.

As for the first, it’s an open question as to whether Brazil has enough time to industrialize to where she can fully exploit opportunities. She needs factories; she needs railroads; she needs clerks to expedite research; she needs capitalists to make the whole thing grow.

I may risk another culture tech or two but it’s soon time where the other techs will be necessary.

She also needs a navy, one with enough clout that will enable her to project her power into the far corners of Europe. I concluded some time ago that Brazil must always attend to her navy (unless playing one of the sandbox strategies). A strong navy maximizes one of her few strengths—isolation. It prevents European powers from invading her home land. And without it, her isolation entombs her far from the action.

As for timing, it’s critical that when the choice opportunity appears, she must be able to grab it for all its worth. After all, time grows short and there may not be many game-changing opportunities left. So who knows?

As for great Britain, well just look at the score. Even if everything goes well—even great—from here on out, Great Britain has such a head start it’s till a long shot. Sadly, unless something derails her, she may win this game in spite of Herculean efforts on the part of Brazil.

What to do? Let’s assume that no one else takes her down a notch. By the time Brazil might (I say “might”) be ready to face her down—about 1910—Britain’s navy will be immense, right? As risky as this is, my only option may be to DOW her myself.

Another tack—a sneaky one—is to ally with her then DOW a GP like Russia or the US. I’ve done this before while playing Spain. If, say, I can get Britain and Russia involved in a long protracted war, even if I have to sit on the sidelines relying on my isolation, it may do the trick.

At this juncture, it looks like all roads lead to (or at) Great Britain.

Last edited:
March 27, ‘69

OK, let’s get crackin’.

A 7-year period of consolidation and industrialization has ended with 6 factories and railroads in three states. Not enough, not enough.

In several deals I sold the last of the claims taken from Russia for 30k and the steamers tech. Bahr el-Ghazal is now my colony.

Only the political front, Venezuela offered an alliance which I graciously signed. Then the US guaranteed my independence (I had worked hard to improve our relations). Feeling secure in SA, I transferred 4 divisions to Africa.

Now that the revolt risk from provinces annexed from Ethiopia and Oman has ended, I can add their garrisons to the Army of the Nile.

As you can see, my plan is simple: the 18 divisions of the Army of the Nile will move straight north from two jumping-off points. There will be no fancy amphibious landings. Egypt’s navy has 5 MW compared to my 2. Sadly I was only able to add 1 more ship to the navy.

ScreenSave13.gif

Egypt has 10 divisions, and 0 manpower. Its only ally is Tripoli.

My war aims are simple enough: 8-10 provinces and war indemnities. If things go as planned, I’ll resume my alliance with France and turn toward Otto next.

Aug. 22, ‘70

Crap! Crap! Crap!

The war went well—yea, great. :(

See.

ScreenSave14.gif

It’s a grudge match now, baby! Otto decided to jump Egypt after I’d all but knocked them out. Grr!

And then—stupid!—I made a 120% peace offer, sure Eqypt would reject it. But nooo! They accepted and I immediately realized I’d made a colossal blunder. Otto will now steamroll through Egypt’s rotting corpse.

It’s war, baby, war, war, and war!

In fact, maybe I’ll declare war straightaway. Hehe :wacko:

A bit calmer now.

Let me explain. When I made the peace offer, all provinces west of the Red Sea (except the westernmost one which Otto took) were in Brazil’s hand. Plus the one east of the Red Sea. My war score was 88.

When I noticed Otto piling on, I realized things could get pretty wild. Fearing that Otto would grab everything east of the Red Sea before I could get there, I rashly decided to end my part in the war. Rash because my troops were already in the supine Tripoli (foolhardy enough to honor its alliance with Egypt), and I had about 10 cavalry divisions in the area capable of quickly grabbing the provinces east of the Red Sea.

Prior to my offer, Egypt had proffered peace about 5 times, each time offering 5-6 provinces. My original goal was to get 8-10 provinces and war indemnities. So I asked for 12 provinces (120 war score) and received them, as you can see. (Note to self: when a nation is facing elimination, it will agree to the most outlandish peace terms—ask for the moon , the stars, and the sun.)

Because I didn’t think I could beat Otto to the eastern provinces, I went from lusting after Egypt’s provinces to casting about for ways to help her. I thought ending my war with her would help. But the peace was wrong; neither light enough to help Egypt, nor heavy enough to deny Otto the prize.

What also formed part of my decision—incredibly enough—was my recoiling at the thought of garrisoning a huge number of provinces. (Note to self: don’t play Vicky when you’re tired.) I envisioned another 30 provinces counting the other provinces west of the Red Sea, plus additional ones to the east, and several of Tripoli’s.

What’s most galling is that Otto grows great at my expense and with my help! I helped her in the Crimean war. I sold claims to her, and now—the unkindest cut of all—she takes advantage of an Egypt rendered moribund by my efforts.

What’s next? Don’t know. A hasty war or colonial war may only play into Otto’s hands.

“Revenge is a dish best served cold.”

Last edited:
Heretic said:
good work, november!
good luck with the Ottomans too - make sure you have lots of troops ready & waiting. I might suggest that you could mobilise a lot of your african population, since they will be better used as cannon fodder than trying to bring in an extra £0.01 from grain

Heretic

Thanks.

I’m still fuming at the turn of events. The sub-text is I’ve intended Otto as my first GP victim from the beginning of the game. So it puts a burr up my butt to see her grow strong (and with my help).

Having played Brazil several times, I know there’s little room for error. I feel every move should be a solid win. Right now, my Egyptian adventure tastes bitter in my mouth when I anticipated the sweet taste of victory unalloyed with anything sour. Plus I don’t know how things will turn out for Otto in her Egyptian war now that I’m on the sidelines.

Troggle said:
Very enjoyable read. Are the wife and kids back around? They must be cutting into your Victoria playing time :p

Yep, back to normal around here. Catching brief sessions where I can, mostly in the late evening.

12/5. ‘81

Since we last spoke, I fought a sharp war with Egypt. My primary objective was the Sinai province which provides entry into the expanded Ottoman Empire. You can see how Otto’s last war with Egypt came out. No surprises, eh? They are currently fighting another war with Egypt’s bloody stub.

I also realized the strategic value of Tripoli, laying as it does to the south of Otto’s colonies in North Africa. I’ve seen Otto build factories in those states before so those provinces hold value for me. I continued my Egyptian war into Tripoli.

As you can see by my prestige score, several more prestige-enhancing inventions fired.

Brazil has 10 factories. About a third of the country has railroads. Brazil has no debt. At one point, when I only had four factories, I lost my lumber mill and a steel mill in quick secession! I almost abandoned the game.

I’m preparing my revenge on the Ottoman Empire. Brazil has a military rating of 67; Otto’s is 45.Brazil has 40 divisions to Otto’s 38. The difference in the overall score is due to our navies. I now have one that should be able to act with relative impunity. I will raise 5-10 more divisions and place them in the field before launching the attack.

I will attack from the 3 directions indicated. Sinai is a bulkhead. I will also launch an attack from there if the opportunity presents itself. Another key is the fleet with a carrying capacity of 10 divisions sitting in the Med. If I can flank and surround Otto or if he uncovers his capitol, I’ll be able to take advantage of it.

ScreenSave29.gif

What are my goals? I’m going for a knockout blow. I’m aiming for factory-rich provinces (I really hope he’s built some in N. Africa) and war indemnities. I expect to go deep in the hole during this affair and I want Otto to help dig me out.

I’m kissing bad boy worries goodbye. My bb is down to 4.68. If I deliver a knockout blow, bb shouldn’t be too scary. That is, I don’t care if it shoots sky-high.

If things don’t go well? Um, I don’t really have an exit strategy. It doubt I would have time to regroup and still win the game. Even mild gains may not be enough.

Elsewhere. My luck’s held in SA. I’m allied with Colombia, Venezuela, and Argentina. The last should tell the tale. Besides, at this point I should be able to stomp any threat that may arise there (although the cost in time might be high).

Oh, I almost forgot. The biggest problem is GB—as always. She’s guaranteed Otto’s independence intermittently during the past 10 years (I’ve monitored it closely). Right now the guarantee is in effect. That’s OK because I need 1 more year to raise some troops and get everyone in place. I’m confident GB will let the guarantee lapse—she better!

I’ll also attempt to renew my alliance with France before launching the attack, although I’m prepared to launch the attack without any GP allies.

I assume I’ll be able to claim 3 more colonies during the game, which I’ve marked on the map.

How am I doing? Um, I think I’m in better shape than I was 10 years ago and have increased my chances of winning. I’m not where I was hoping to be at this date, but it’s close.

ScreenSave28.gif

Last edited:
July 19, ‘83

Intermission.

GB—just to spite me, I’m sure—continues to guarantee Otto’s independence. The latter’s war with Egypt’s ghost continues.

Look at the score. Ha!

ScreenSave31.jpg

I check the status of the guarantee at the beginning of each month and remain ready to pounce as soon as it lapses. But “how long, oh Lord, how long?” My patience grows thin and hearing the clock tick, I begin looking about for other opportunities.

Here’s Europe today.

ScreenSave32.jpg

My eyes alight on the Italian peninsula. What’s this? Neither Sardinia-Piedmont or Tuscany have allies. And the Papal States have only Ecuador. This requires further investigation.

Since I’m looking for factory-rich provinces, how many are on the table?

Tuscany 1
S-P 6
The Papal States 6

Ok, let’s look at their armies:

Tuscany 3 div.
S-P 8
The Papal States 3

Looks like an invasion of Tuscany or the Papal States may be in order.

How about their navies.

Tuscany 6 ships including an ironclad
S-P 2 ships
The Papal States 2 ships

That ironclad rules out Tuscany. I’ve seen a single ironclad sink a dozen wooden ships. Brazil’s navy has 24 ships: 10 transports, 5 MW, and 9 raiders.

So it looks like the Papal States win this blind date. From there I can attack and annex Tuscany then take on S-P. Um.

This seems pretty compelling. I’ll make things ready. In the unlikely event that Otto’s guarantee lapses before I can invade the Papal States, I’ll decide at that point about which direction to go. The Italian peninsula may prove a better strategic direction than Otto, but if GB lets the guarantee lapse, it represents a rare opportunity.

I have secured an alliance with France but—poor France—she’s not even a GP. In fact, she may prove an irresistible target in the near future.

ScreenSave33.jpg

Aug., ‘85

I DOWed the Papal States.

Troops from my fleet stationed off Roma land unopposed in Vitebro. After conquering it, they conquered Grosseto. Meanwhile, my fleet, which had gone back to Egypt for more divisions, lands troops unopposed in Ancona on the Adriatic side.

ScreenSave34.gif

After the fleet does another roundtrip to Egypt, Brazil overwhelms the Papal States. I turn down a peace offer received as my troops turn toward Roma.

Meanwhile, I notice the hubbub in Austria. Austria is at war with England and its scavenger dog ally Otto! Take a look.

ScreenSave38.png

Seems like things start off well enough for Austria but now GB is at the scene of the crime. Makes me glad I didn’t continue to wait for the guarantee to lapse.

This next screen shot is interesting. It shows the aftermath of the war. Brazil received the six provinces (Lucca, of course, is an independent country) shown plus war indemnities—I adore those things.

ScreenSave40.jpg

It also shows Brazilian troops getting into position for the attack on Tuscany. As soon as the ink was dry on the peace treaty with the Papal States, Brazil declared war on the ally-less Tuscany.

The screen shot also shows GB’s request for military access. They want to move ships through the Suez canal. I granted their request but I’m wondering if that was a mistake.

This next screen shot shows the coup de grace being delivered to the Tuscan troops in Firenze. Twenty-five divisions versus two—ouch!

ScreenSave42.gif

I annexed Tuscany. My badboy is now at 20, which I feel is acceptable.

So what was gained? Was it worth the badboy? Well three factories and a lot of pops. Plus a pretty good seat to the big show.

I’m looking hard at my neighbors on the peninsula: Sardina-Peidmont and the Two-Sicilies. But that’s for another post.

Finally, a shot of Brazil’s empire.

ScreenSave44.gif

More analysis and a question.

First the question: How often have you seen Otto build a lot of factories in N. Africa? I saw it once that I can recall, although it was a boatload of factories.

I’m wondering if I’m overrating the value of those provinces. My goal has been to strip Otto of them (plus war indemnities). This may be a fools errand.

Might I not be better off going after my Italian neighbors, especially the ally-less Sardinia-Piedmont?

Although I’m confident I could defeat Otto, the effort would be immense in terms of $$. I’m starting to think GB’s guarantee was a blessing in disguise.

One problem with going after my European neighbors. Too much more badboy will surely trigger bb wars—and I’ll have borders with a lot of heavy hitters. If I do, I’ll also have to take the remnants of Ethiopia and Oman, simply in order to create bb-reducing satellites.

Anyway, I’m inclined to shift gears entirely and let bygones-be-bygones with the Ottoman Empire. What do you think?

Now analysis. Let’s assume I take S-P. Then what? In the thirty-five years left in the game, Brazil has to industrialize like crazy. All the fighting has been in order to get enough POPs and resources to compete with the big boys industrial-wise, especially GB.

Based on past games, that’s iffy. But if Brazil cannot sail peacefully into the winner’s circle after 1890, she should be positioned to duke it out with the big boys.

I don't think Ottoman typically builds factories in that area (there's no-one there, is there?) but I have to admit I'm not hugely experienced.

Typically I find that you don't get many factories unless you take a whole state. So to deal with this whilst avoiding getting borders with the big powers, and maybe avoid too much more BB, you could go for some islands- particularly Sardinia- as these can be low on provinces. If you're doing that, you might also want to hollow out mainland Piemonte as well- that is, take all their provinces which don't directly border the Great Powers.