• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very nice AAR, reminds me of Blood to the ankle and rising AAR lol. :rofl:

It appears luck was with you on that venture. So plan 1 is accomplished. Outstanding! Keep it up, this is fun.

Henry - hehe, yes madman...so my "international coalition" of Turks, Circassains, Bulgars, Tartars, etc. fighting under Russain flag no doubt felt. I did play Incubus's "megalomaniac" when I hit the declare war button for inspiratation :D Unfortunetly, one of the great freatures EU 2 had which this does not is tracking soldier deaths. I'd say my average division (starting with around 350) was down from 10K to roughly 2.2K and at least 2 dozen were completely annihilated. I did take care not to lose any divs, but I had at least 75 with under 1000 men.

Earl Gray - Russian army techs are rough parity at the start, but 15% literacy + inability to trade because of hundreds of BB means I will fall behind and never catch-up. I opted for rail techs in the beginning (-20 research points) because hundreds of thousands of musket-firing tartars will decimate 10,000 elite muzzle-loading Prussian infantryman.

I hope your right about SOuth America. It does seem the AI is more concerned with population than strict number of provinces in a peace deal. I've never fought against a South American power so I don't know how many wars taking the huge number of provinces Argentia and Brazil have will take.

WE reduction is very gradual. I plan on taking quick peace and not allowing it to rise over 5%. This could present a problem with Britain...

Everyone else - thanks! The Tsar could use worthy subjects such as yourselves in the inevitable showdown with the UK.

Zeppelin said:
... I've never fought against a South American power so I don't know how many wars taking the huge number of provinces Argentia and Brazil have will take.

In my 1.01 game not a single south american nation took more than two wars to finish. Even Brazil was brought down to three provinces in just one war, although I wouldn't count on that being possible every time. They also seemed quite willing to issue guarantees and alliances to/with other south american nations, but I have no idea if that is the case in every game.

Zeppelin said:
Henry - hehe, yes madman...so my "international coalition" of Turks, Circassains, Bulgars, Tartars, etc. fighting under Russain flag no doubt felt. I did play Incubus's "megalomaniac" when I hit the declare war button for inspiratation :D Unfortunetly, one of the great freatures EU 2 had which this does not is tracking soldier deaths. I'd say my average division (starting with around 350) was down from 10K to roughly 2.2K and at least 2 dozen were completely annihilated. I did take care not to lose any divs, but I had at least 75 with under 1000 men.

Do you have a rough guesstimate of how many died in your little war with China?

MahoTsukai - ask and you shall receive.

The First Anglo-Russian War:

After annexing China, I was sure the British would DOW me. I was a distant 2nd in military power and accumulated well over 100 BB. Then…nothing. A day went by, then a week, then a month, then a year. Still nothing. Victoria’s advisors must be either asleep or utterly fearful of the Russian War machine :D I check the save game file to ensure Very hard/Furious setting is on, it is. Well, I’m not going to sit around idly when there is a map to paint puke green. The basic formula I will use through the whole game I will outline here:

Occupation policies: All clerks/craftsman are immediately recruited into the army unless the resource is something valuable like sulpher or iron in which case they become laborers. Unproductive enlightened liberals fermenting dissent amongst the peasantry are a Tsar’s worst nightmare. All RGOs are expanded to accommodate unemployed laborers and rails are immediately laid in all worthwhile province. In the case of China, 40+ silk RGOs all qualify ;) . Enough 90K Farmers are sent to military academies so as I always have at least 500 leadership (not easy – see army building policy below). One 10K garrison is left to encourage the subjugated to see the wisdom of toiling for the Tsar and to crush any rebellious subjects.

Speaking of which, this is a task nearly as difficult as conquering China. Check out this typical 10 days of occupation duty:

"September 27, 1859 : The people of Yan'an are revolting!"
"October 1, 1859 : Corruption afflicts Tver."
"October 1, 1859 : The corruption in Rzhev has been purged."
"October 1, 1859 : The people of Yumen are revolting!"
"October 2, 1859 : The people of Kaifeng are revolting!"
"October 2, 1859 : The people of Wanxian are revolting!"
"October 3, 1859 : The people of Qiqihar are revolting!"
"October 3, 1859 : The people of Qingdao are revolting!"
"October 4, 1859 : The people of Weixian are revolting!"
"October 4, 1859 : We are attacked by hostile armies of Persia in Minab."
"October 5, 1859 : The ingrates of Ahwaz are taking up arms against us!"
"October 6, 1859 : We won a battle against Rebel Scum in Wuchang."
"October 7, 1859 : The people of Shaowu are revolting!"

It got so bad, I had to deactivate the revolt message-box! If I wasn’t too lazy I would have removed the sound-file as well. I now hear that damn noise in my sleep. Many a Russian occupation division was annihilated by rebel hordes.

I plan on riding the foreign tariffs/RGOs money train to finance my war machine. The requisite industries are already in place in Mother Russia and will be expanded when the need arises, not as a money making venture. I was making little less than $100/day during the Sino-Russian war. After annexation and occupation policies are put into effect:

ruscamp12.jpg

Building an invincible army:

The 200,000 spearhead will become standardized. The 20 divisions will comprise of 10 Guards, 5 Engineers, and 5 (native) artillery. Natives are necessary for artillery because of the exorbitant upkeep costs. I will hold off building artillery until “Iron Breech Artillery” is discovered because they aren’t cost-effective until then. No vanilla divisions, no regular brigades, no cavalry, no more natives (the 300 I originally built will solely be used as occupation/garrison troops) – with that type of cash flow there is no reason not to build anything but elite troops. Under *no* circumstances will I ever divide up these 20 division armies. Anything less than a full concentration of force at the Shwerpunkt (a decisive point) is criminal generalship. Let the enemy send his army through a gap and occupy one of your provinces. That force is but an annoyance which will be annihilated (no survivors) when his supply lines are cut off. Again, recruitment should always be done in one massive batch to ensure enough cultures and POPs are left around for further army construction:

ruscamp18.jpg

Consolidation of Central Asia:

I’m not sure why the Brits dont DOW or the Austrians and Prussians did not walk across my undefended border, but I’m not going to sit around waiting for them. It’s possible that the annexation of China by Russian led Turkenians is such an incredulous proposition that the British and the French refuse to recognize reality ;) . Think I’m joking?

"February 1, 1856 : France went with Declare war on China! in Murder of a French Chaplain."
"October 9, 1856 : United Kingdom went with Declare War in The Arrow Incident."

:rofl: Yeah, show those Chinese whose boss :D

Perhaps I’m just below the threshold the arcane BB calculation Paradox has set up so I will hold off on Annam and Siam - which I’d love to annex before the British or French – because I’m not prepared to fight BB wars. Instead the Dinkystans of Central Asia are targeted. One by one they fall like wheat to the Russian scythe:

"July 21, 1855 : Kokand is now a part of our nation!"
"April 11, 1856 : Bukkhara is now a part of our nation!"
"October 3, 1856 : Kashmir is now a part of our nation!"
November 24, 1856 : Ladakh is now a part of our nation!"
"June 23, 1857 : Afghanistan is now a part of our nation!"
"February 17, 1858 : Tibet is now a part of our nation!"

The only problem with these annexations is it kills your prestige. Somehow the British illegitimately take over #1 position despite my having become Tsar of all Slavs, conquered China, and placed an utter fear into the whole world - something Websters should consider for the definition of "farce" in their next edition of the English dictionary.

Central Asia

Well, if Victoria is going to sit by and allow me to annex the whole world, then I won’t hold back. Persia with its 40 provinces is next.

"October 23, 1859 : Persia is now a part of our nation!"

By 1860, I have enough guard divisions and transports to contemplate transcontinental adventures. One of my initial concerns was the huge sparsely populated South American nations so I best get started here. Uruguay and its annexable three provinces will serve as an excellent base of operations. It is allied with Paraguay and Brazil. I did not want to fight Brazil yet as I can only transport 2 spearheads at once and it will take a long time to accumulate the forces necessary to smash them in a quick war while keeping war exhaustion down. Hoping they will dishonor their alliance in the face of the mean green Russian war machine, I DOW Uruguay on 21 April, 1860. Paraguay dishonors but Brazil does not :mad:

My plans almost immediately go awry when I get this rude message-box:

"May 19, 1860 : United Kingdom declared war upon us!"

The bitch Victoria picks now?!?! :mad: Great, all my elite troops are either in a South American war or heading there. I do have some troops 6000 miles away deterring the German powers. Complacency has got the best of me as only ½ strengthed native divisions are anywhere near the Indian-Russian border. British troops immediately walk across our porous frontier and annihilate my border forces :eek:

This does not help the Uruguaians - “July 11, 1860 : Uruguay is now a part of our nation!"

For some reason, I get an error submitting this so I'll have to split this into 2 posts.

Last edited:
I scramble together enough natives and the few guards I had lying around China and do a reasonable job stemming the British tide and immediately recruit 100 guards + engineers. I do not want to remove the European troops in case I get backstabbed. End the Brazilian war + ferry over 1,000,000 elite troops + new recruits = my plan to smash Britain.

This plan sucked :p. The Brazilians will not make peace despite 1,000,000 guards demolishing all in their path. I get tired of seeing this message-box:

"July 1, 1860 : Our army in Quetta has been completely annihilated!"
"July 1, 1860 : We lost a battle against United Kingdom in Quetta.”

So I get desperate:

Anglo-Russian War

I take the 1st peace the Brazilians offer. I could have gotten more, but time, not space, is the enemy here. Plus my war exhaustion is at 5% - a figure I vowed never to go above. It is decent - perhaps EarlGray was right - but a long road lies ahead.

South American Treaty

British forces are soon reeling. All their advanced armies were utterly smashed when my guards finished their 6,000 mile trek. The UK satellites are neutral, so this funnels my armies down three corridors into British India. 300,000 British troops are trapped on the mountain of Karachi in the extreme left of this screen shot. A foolish venture to attack, I leave them there to rot in what has become a virtual POW camp. British reinforcements are helplessly overmatched by the Chinese formula: 200,000 strong spearheads arriving on the 1st of every month. I leave the Burmese forces on the far right alone as the topography of mountain + jungle makes attack unwise. Only attack when and where you can win. The first British white peace offers come rolling in. I refuse.

Indian Invasion

My war exhaustion is only at around 7% (The British are over 20%), but this is enough to send the Chinese into a panic. I laugh at the 1848 Liberal revolution “revolts”; Clerks armed with fountain pens and deckchairs :rolleyes: HA! You have not seen uprisings until you piss off 400 million screaming Chinamen:

Chinese Revolts

The 2 Russian spearheads down the East and West Indian Corridors were about to meet when Victoria proposes an acceptable peace offer. The notorious stubborn British negotiating team is predicated solely on the basis that her military value is always hundreds more than everyone else. Ruthlessly smash her armies, seize almost all of India, and pass her military ratings and the offers will come rolling in. Here is what the situation was at the time of peace of New Delhi (Russian acquisitions in yellow). The Brits must have had tremendous losses as my military rating is now #1.

End Anglo-Russian War

Freed of the British threat for 5 years, I am free to contemplate my next move. Suggestions?

Last edited:
5 years and only 5 years. I fear you may have the British on your back for the rest of the game, though if you continue to manhandle them as you did this time, they should prove to be about as pesky as a mosquito.

As for suggestions, I dare say you seem to have it quite in hand. Your planning is far above my own. The idea of recruitment on the scale you have achieved is far above my own experience, though I am a rather conservative player - was in EUII as well. Just keep it up, that's all! Great work!

Hey, that's an interesting read :D

Well, since you asked for advice... Austria and Prussia need some lessons? So grab some chinese and attack Berlin

I´d either go for Austria and Prussia or for the Rest of the SoutAM Minors.
Go Zeppelin!

My suggestion is to invade the Two Strong Islands, aka Japan and UK. You are near both their homelands, and with your 200k spearheads you will eat them alive, dont let UK be a thorn in your butt and Japan wouldbe a nice addition when you tackle US (believe me late game they are hell).

I was planning to start a WC myself, as Russia to see what gives, but you saved me the time ;)

G'luck !

Vperic - Not a chance :D

MahoTsukai - The Japanese are civilized already, otherwise that would be an excellent suggestion. I'm sure the Brits will save me the trouble in 5 years ofseeking them out so I'll just wait for their DOW.

The German powers seem to be a popular choice. Their arrogance must be punished! Plus, I need land corridors into Western Europe and they are in the way. Besides, that unsightly white protrusion is just begging to be chopped off.

What is your spending on Crime fighting now? That slider position has a significant effect on the amount of revolts you get.

I really love your recruitment style. Squeeze every last drop of gaming goodness out of the selected poor little pop segment! :cool:

Zeppelin said:
It got so bad, I had to deactivate the revolt message-box! If I wasn’t too lazy I would have removed the sound-file as well. I now hear that damn noise in my sleep.

I know exactly how you feel! The sound of revolts going off could just as well have been the normal background sound for Vicky.

It can be possible to rely on the Victory boxes instead. That way you check up the status of the divisions after beating a rebellion, reinforcing the division(s) to full strength if necessary to withstand the next rebellion.

Zeppelin said:
Uruguay and its annexable three provinces will serve as an excellent base of operations.
Another option is to start with Chile. It's very possible to get all except their capital in one war and this will give an good base for taking out Argentina very quickly since by using seaborne landings and attacking from Chile almost all of Argentina can be occupied very quickly. Already controlling Uruguay makes this approach even faster.

Your decision to focus on the british once they intervened - instead of trying to force Brazil to it's knees - is surely the correct one. Brazil can't do much damage while the british certainly can.

Zeppelin said:
The Brits must have had tremendous losses as my military rating is now #1.
And maybe that your armed forces have grown? :)

Zeppelin said:
Freed of the British threat for 5 years, I am free to contemplate my next move. Suggestions?
Russia's tech will fall more and more behind the other european majors as you stated earlier. Unless this prospect has changed one idea is to use your current almost tech equality and attack Prussia or Austria.

Actually I can't see the point in attacking in south america until late in the game, since those nations aren't likely to grow stronger, will never be a threat to you and from my limited experience they add very little of value, but still require garrisoning.

Are you using your diplomats? It looks like you're at 10 dip's all the time. If you have a surplus of diplomats perhaps they can be used to improve relations with some major nation? France perhaps?

I can hardly wait to see what you do next! Good work! :)

I now hear that damn noise in my sleep.

I know what you mean. I some times set it on mute or turn off the

Its like that for any game. With "Empire Earth" all I hear when I shut my eyes is "We are under attack!" Sometimes I think some one should tell gamers just because you can add a sound affect......it doesn't mean you should...

Go into Europe, thats what I think personally. Taking over minor nations in through out the steppes may be one thing, but the Imperial powers are gonna be another thing. You've already seen what might Britain has, you don't want Austria or Prussia joining in on the We-Hate-Tsar party.

Europe might be easy too, you never know.

By the way, the idea of Russia occupied China fascinated me. China had the Yuan dynasty when they were controlled by Mongol forces, and they have often been pushed out of their homeland by foreign powers (ie "The Six Dynasty Period"). I wonder how the Russian occupation would be viewed? How long would it last, and how would it end? And what would it be called? The Puke Green Dynasty?

Damn, some times the possibilities of these AARs is so interesting that you wish you could write your own saga about them. :eek:o