• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent job as always

Have to tell you about 3 "bugs" and 2 ideas I have in mind.

Bugs
-First one is not properly a bug, but something you forgot to do I think. If you play Spain and want to avoid the SCW, going nationalist path, all the army continue to be landlocked. I think it's a critic problem.
-Also not properly a bug, but when you avoid SCW or end it quickly, Primo de Rivera and Mola continue to die in the fixed dates. I suggest you to add trigger war vs SPR.
-Finland won the Continuation War, but Sortavala and Viipurii remained Soviet.

Ideas
-About the Spanish Fleet, you inherit ARE boats from SPR, while new SPA boats are ARNE, causing them to duplicate (persistent DH issue).
Even you have the proper boat classes for SPA, you miss the names for new units. It could be interesting to have some historic names, in the case the player decides to build a bit of fleet.
Not very important, but would be interesting to get República and Libertad cruisers renamed to Navarra and Galicia.

-About SPA government, if the coup suceeds, Franco should never become Chief of State. Mola should.
-Spain had in 1936 1/3 of Italian industrial capacity, it means, in TRP terms, 24 IC. Due to the war, it lost about 30%, it means 17 IC after war, quickly recovering from 1939 until the Italian surrender and German collapse, getting around 21 IC at 1943 and 22 at 1944, falling again to 21 in 1945-46 following the subsequent international isolation. Maybe would be interesting to simulate this.

You wont be able to get a positive TC ration in a war. That is part of the TRP design. You have to find ways to reduce the TC and to optimise your supply efficiency.
How then and how is that realistic? The only thing I can do is create less troops which makes Operation Babarossa impossible since the soviets have over 400 fully mobilzed divisions(very realistic....I guess no one on the team took the tiem to read something about operation Barbarossa?) at the german border.And even without being over the TC limit my tanks move so slow that it is completely impossible to move as fast as the real german army.It takes almost a full month for my tanks to reach minsk from Sulwaki even without any fighting,the actual Operation Barbarossa reached it in a few days.

The fact that they have their entire army mobilized, have even more divions than the real soviets hadduirng the inital attack and aren't as unprepared and disorganized just makes it worse.I encircled and destroyed over 230 divions before the offensive chit ended and barley made it past minsk and kiev.After that my untis can't advance at all since the soviets suddly counter attack desptie me outnumbering them.They just defeat far larger armies without any problem even after the winter ends....And since it takes more than a month for my untis to regain ther org any offensive is pretty much pointless since the soviets organize and attack long before my untis regain theirs.

Thx for your input. :)

@tioperete: Strangely enough, since there's a very high AI chance for the SCW to break out, both Lord Rommel and me didn't really bother much with extending the "alternative timeline" here. We'll have a look about the issues you were pointing out and discuss what we'd like to do with the possibility of a successful coup. After all, some other countries' events depend on the SCW to happen, too.

@Jachda: Are you able to reproduce the crash? From a first look at the file, i can't see any error messages. Does anyone else have problems with JAP around this date?

@ImaTomato: Our primary goal in singleplayer gameplay is to reproduce at least some challenges from history, but not the very exact numbers. These would hardly fit into the game environment starting at 1936 with countless options for deviation. It shall be a hard struggle for a human player to fight the war in the east, but because he/she outsmarts the AI, we had to give it at least the edge of having a somewhat well-scripted buildup that aims for maximum strength in mid 1941. If the soviet AI was weaker in the first months of the war, it would most likely just collapse before its reinforcements were ready, at least against a human player that's able to form pockets of over 200 divisions. The soviet AI still gets hampered by the Purges and it needs time to recover its individual combat capabilities, but what's running at full steam ahead from the very start is its army buildup. BTW there ist no mobilization of divisions in TRP like there is in DH, so you rarely meet understrength units as long as the enemy still has got some manpower and IC left to reinforce.

Concerning TC, the "normal" situation at the beginning of Barbarossa is that your TC load should be roughly 100%, depending on whether or not you had some adventures in locations like Spain, depending on your IC buildup and depending on your army composition of choice. Taking numbers from our last MP match, the situation in march 1941 looked like this:
  • GER: 252 divisions in total, 44 of which were (elite-)tanks, 23 mot. inf., 26 cavalry (some crazy idea by our last GER player here ;) ) and 6 (elite) mech. inf.. 689/430 IC. 1393/1240 TC. Spain annexed, but Norway still under allied control.
  • SOV: 451 divisions in total, 24 of which were tanks, 30 cav., 1 mech. inf.. 608/444 IC. 1174/1094 TC (899/1094 without strategic redeployment load)
As you can see, both nations suffer from a (nearly) depleted TC, especially if there's additional fuel consumption from moving units and additional supply consumption from offensive supply (which is common in MP matches). It's something you've got to get used to in this very conflict: Managing phases of offensive actions and recreation, and juggling around with limited resources.

Having destroyed over 200 soviet divisions, you should still be able to pull off a victory until 1943 at latest, at least that's my opinion from the distance and without a look at your savegame. The AI can replenish some losses, especially if it doesn't lose much IC in the first place, but its resources are limited in the end.

Thx for your input. :)

@tioperete: Strangely enough, since there's a very high AI chance for the SCW to break out, both Lord Rommel and me didn't really bother much with extending the "alternative timeline" here. We'll have a look about the issues you were pointing out and discuss what we'd like to do with the possibility of a successful coup. After all, some other countries' events depend on the SCW to happen, too.

@Jachda: Are you able to reproduce the crash? From a first look at the file, i can't see any error messages. Does anyone else have problems with JAP around this date?

@ImaTomato: Our primary goal in singleplayer gameplay is to reproduce at least some challenges from history, but not the very exact numbers. These would hardly fit into the game environment starting at 1936 with countless options for deviation. It shall be a hard struggle for a human player to fight the war in the east, but because he/she outsmarts the AI, we had to give it at least the edge of having a somewhat well-scripted buildup that aims for maximum strength in mid 1941. If the soviet AI was weaker in the first months of the war, it would most likely just collapse before its reinforcements were ready, at least against a human player that's able to form pockets of over 200 divisions. The soviet AI still gets hampered by the Purges and it needs time to recover its individual combat capabilities, but what's running at full steam ahead from the very start is its army buildup. BTW there ist no mobilization of divisions in TRP like there is in DH, so you rarely meet understrength units as long as the enemy still has got some manpower and IC left to reinforce.

Concerning TC, the "normal" situation at the beginning of Barbarossa is that your TC load should be roughly 100%, depending on whether or not you had some adventures in locations like Spain, depending on your IC buildup and depending on your army composition of choice. Taking numbers from our last MP match, the situation in march 1941 looked like this:
  • GER: 252 divisions in total, 44 of which were (elite-)tanks, 23 mot. inf., 26 cavalry (some crazy idea by our last GER player here ;) ) and 6 (elite) mech. inf.. 689/430 IC. 1393/1240 TC. Spain annexed, but Norway still under allied control.
  • SOV: 451 divisions in total, 24 of which were tanks, 30 cav., 1 mech. inf.. 608/444 IC. 1174/1094 TC (899/1094 without strategic redeployment load)
As you can see, both nations suffer from a (nearly) depleted TC, especially if there's additional fuel consumption from moving units and additional supply consumption from offensive supply (which is common in MP matches). It's something you've got to get used to in this very conflict: Managing phases of offensive actions and recreation, and juggling around with limited resources.

Having destroyed over 200 soviet divisions, you should still be able to pull off a victory until 1943 at latest, at least that's my opinion from the distance and without a look at your savegame. The AI can replenish some losses, especially if it doesn't lose much IC in the first place, but its resources are limited in the end.
I did retry the game from auto save and no issues have appeared yet. When I looked at the save debug file the only thing I noticed was a long string of events that did not fire due to being slept, and thought that might be the issue. Thank you for the quick reply.

Loading event #3000107...
ERROR : Event picture (TRP_info_assembly_line_cavalry) for event 'Assembly line bonus for cavalry divisions' (ID 3000107) in Mods\TRP104\scenarios\1936\events\Flavour.txt not found!
This is an error I always get when starting a new game or loading a save game.

Last edited:
How then and how is that realistic? The only thing I can do is create less troops which makes Operation Babarossa impossible since the soviets have over 400 fully mobilzed divisions(very realistic....I guess no one on the team took the tiem to read something about operation Barbarossa?) at the german border.And even without being over the TC limit my tanks move so slow that it is completely impossible to move as fast as the real german army.It takes almost a full month for my tanks to reach minsk from Sulwaki even without any fighting,the actual Operation Barbarossa reached it in a few days.
[...]
Let me have a look into my papers.
Operation Barbarossa... Hm... Germany had 208 Divisions in Summer 1941. 132 Divisions were concentrated at the eastern front for the start of the operation. Soviet union had 338 Divisions and 23 Brigades (basing on Niehorster. Sometimes u will find 306 soviet divisions for Barbarossa). 250 Divisions and 19 brigades were concentrated at the eastern districts (everything in the west from Leningrad, Moscow and Rostov at the Don).
A soviet infantry division had ~15.000 soldiers in summer against a german infantry division with ~16.000 (Division 3. Welle = 17.901 soldiers/ Division 4. Welle = 15.019 soldiers).
So all in all it a 2:1 situation in June 1941.
What i want to show u; We have done a lot of research ;) There a lot of pages, documents and files with historical and gameplay based discussions and analyses for TRP. Unfortunately they are all in german but i can tell u that we are trying to get as much information as possible before we are working on our mod ;)

But a small note here:
With our upcoming manpower rework TRP ingame numbers will change. So u will see different numbers and proportions in the future.

Question: has the area of effect of radar installations been removed from the mod? As you can see, I have a radar installation in Tubingen which is adjacent to Freiberg. The aerial combat above Freiberg should also provide the radar bonus during combat...
what.png

It is possible to beat the Soviet Union as Germany, but you're going to have a harder time holding the territory after the peace treaty ends and if you aren't finished with the Allies before then. The Soviets will declare war on you (haven't tested this in 1.04) and you'll have to hold them at the Urals or make the long trek to Vladivostok to fully annex them. I've yet to fully "beat" this mod as Germany and it still gives me a very enjoyable challenge every time I attempt it.

Make sure you have GAR+police brigade divisions keeping down partisan activity, as it hits your TC hard. You'll need to do this in non-national provinces, such as in France, and then keep up with your invasion forces as they take territory from the Soviets. When Barbarossa launches, your TC will exceed 100% as your units hit full supply - this is normal. You need to form massive pockets within the first month or so or you will not win the war.

This picture is from a different mod, but the idea remains the same. In TRP it's even more important to dodge swamp/hills/forest during this encirclement, or you won't be fast enough to pull this off. Use offensive supply/offensive chit and begin the invasion no later than around May 1st through the 10th of 1941.

Bl0aFYq.png

In case you also do a hotfix like DH itself, for the aircraft techs one component is consistently (and annoyingly) misspelled as ammuniation :) And the Olympics event for Germany cuts off mid-sentence, right after "New York Times Review".

But other than that, great work, played Darkest Hour for the first time in months now!

I want to thank you for making things more difficult for me. I'm looking to start my invasion of Poland and am short of the generals I normally have/use.o_O:):D:D. You have now forced me to reconfigure my attack plans. Thanks very much, I love it. Challenges are good for the soul. A quick question. Do you have any plans to implement some of the new techs in DH105? I'm thinking specifically of the mining/oil techs to boost production. It would be nice but add another layer of decisions since you only allow 5 tech slots. I also like the Goring minister. I did a save and reload to check the differences between him and schract . I finally decided not to go with him but he does have some advantages.

Fellas - sorry to bother; I get the right checksum and am using 1.05.1 but my unit graphics (counters) are non-functional. Just squares with X's. Everything else seems fine. Any help? :-/

Just wanted to point out something I noticed in a game where the Soviets refused to surrender and I was forced to annex them.

For some strange reason, the Transural Republic has a core in the southern Philippines.