• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MatPainter

Recruit
83 Badges
Oct 16, 2011
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome Gold
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings III
  • War of the Roses
Oi, fine friends! Well, I'm fairly new to these forums, and a newbie in Vicky 2 too :p

This is my first time trying to do an AAR, and since my English is not THAT good (my first language is Portuguese, and I've learned English all by myself, reading forums and playing games, so yeah, pretty bad grammar :p), I'd like to excuse myself for any misspellings or just plain unreadable sentences. Oh, and Grammar Nazis are welcomed, since I really want to improve my English, and the less people stabbing their own eyes because of my writing, the better :D

So, let's get started. I'm going to play with Brazil, Normal difficulty, Vicky 2 vanilla (I've bought AHD, but it always crashes ): ), with the 1.4 beta September 26th patch.

I've played with Brazil before, and I did great! Well, until the Brits saw me as their new South American colony ): But now my priority is to conquer all South America, and give Portugal a nice comeback for all these years of colonial oppression ;)

Cap. 1 – Vista Geral (Overview)

First, let’s see a nice map of our surroundings:

Mapa.jpg

In red are the provinces with Brazilian core. They’ll be my first targets, since I have a neat CB for them :)
Also I have borders with Britain and France, so yeah, can’t go all Sokoto in this game (at least for now).

Pop.jpg

Here we can see our population. Mostly Farmers and Slaves. Brazil have a somewhat big population, so if I can promote some Craftsmen, we could have a neat industrialization going on here. And we have a 8.7% literacy rate, we have to fix that soon.

Tecnologik.jpg

Now the great Brazilian Technology! I’m going to focus in Industry for now, to get the Economy rolling, then we can focus in the Army, to crush those crazy Spanish-speaking people :D

Exrcito.jpg

Our army is… Small. We don’t have any generals, either. This, with the attrition nightmare that is most of Latin America will be a BIG mess. Luckily, we can make some brigades :D

Politik.jpg

Ah, our enemies. Bolivia, Paraguay and Colombia are our primary targets. We have nice CBs against them, and they have nice small armies. Argentina, as my previous experiences with Brazil have showed, is like a vulture, she will attack any country right after I crush their defenses. So I have to kick her down a notch before she can grab more lands.

sprites: Thanks! :D And yeah, it offers a lot of possibilities, and really interesting battles :D Well, they're still busy with Mexico/CSA, so I think I have some time before they appear down here :D (And in my previous games with Brazil, they never intervened. It was mostly the Brits who gave me a big headache :p )

franciscolpo: Thanks too! :D Yeah, I thought exactly that when I choose Brazil. It feels good to be the boss in your own country :p BTW you're from Portugal? (I'm saying that because of your avatar and username ^^; )

Always nice to see a Brasilian AAR, I look forward to it!

Chapter 2 - Pantanal

Ah, the Pantanal. Land of mosquitoes, swamps, and inexplicably, Paraguayans. We need to clean up the place, and turn that inhospitable muddy Paraguayan place into an inhospitable muddy Brazilian place!
But first, let’s make some money:

Finanas_Ajustadas.jpg

After one year messing around with the sliders, I finally got it right. I’m in a surplus, so everything is ok now. And I’ve got that literacy rate up, using my NF to encourage Clergymen in Rio de Janeiro (my most populous province).
Then another year came, and nothing changed. I don’t even got Freedom of Trade! But I got some people with Spanish Flu. I said that those Spaniards are doing no good here!
(Also note how I’ve got only 0.2% of literacy in one year. But fear not, It’ll chance soon!)

After some months I got the Freedom of Trade (Sorry, didn’t take a pic of that. I’m still getting used to pressing F11 at every moment), and went with Practical Steam Engine. I’m trying to get more profit from my farms/mines, and decrease them a bit, to get some free pops to be promoted as Craftsmen.
Then in April, we finally get a taste of war:

BatalhaParaguai1.jpg

Luckily, her allies didn’t answer her calls, so it’ll be real easy.

I begin occupying Encarnación and San Pedro. Baltasar de Rosas, being one of the brightest militaristic minds in his country, decides to attack my army, which is stationed in a jungle.

BatalhaParaguai2.jpg

BatalhaParaguai3.jpg

Kudos to you, Baltasar.

After we crush de Rosas’ Army, Paraguay gives her half of Mato Grosso to us :D

BatalhaParaguai4.jpg

Then I notice that Bolivia is attacking Argentina! (A bit late, I admit. They’re at war for one year, and I’ve noticed it just now :p ) And things aren’t going too well for los hermanos…

BatalhaArgentina1.jpg

They’re mobilized, and with only 3 brigades… It’s dinner time, and Argentina is the main dish!

BatalhaArgentina2.jpg

Actually, it’s just the entrée, Corrientes. The main dish will be served soon, and it shall be the entire Argentina! :D

First, some men go to Posadas, and the other group will occupy Santo Tomás.

BatalhaArgentina3.jpg

Uh-oh… Sabinada! It was a Revolutionary movement in Bahia (one of the states with more slaves in its time), but now it’s in the middle of our war against Argentina. Happily, no Rebels pop out (a bug, I think?).

BatalhaArgentina4.jpg

Fun fact: In Portuguese, ‘Sabinada’ sounds exactly like ‘He Knows Nothing’. A little tidbit that kept me from sleeping in this class, way back on school :p

After some battles, here’s how the Brazilian and Bolivian battlefronts look:

BatalhaArgentina5.jpg

BREAKING NEWS, in the middle of the war:

BatalhaArgentina6.jpg

Oh well, I didn’t know that we spoke ‘Brazilian’ in Brazil. Maybe that’s why the Portuguese left: Nobody could understand them, and their fancy European languages! :p

Then, after we crush our hermanos, they come to reason, and ask us for peace :D

BatalhaArgentina8.jpg

A good, aggressive start! Being able to catch Argentina off-guard like that is very useful and you'll doubtless be able to grow considerably from here. Well, provided you escape the attention of Britain, France and so forth for long enough. I'll certainly keep an eye on this.

Saithis: Thanks! :D

Shiggs713: Yeah, it's always pretty hard to me too. Most of the times I just shrug it off, and go without many industries. But this time I'm triyng to get some profitable factories going on! But first, some little wars :p

morningSIDEr: Many thanks! :D And yes, most of the times Argentina starts growing like crazy, but now I get ahead of her, and put a halt to her conquests ^^ And a little European country actually noticed me in the next update, and well... Things got a little rough :p

Chapter 3 - THOSE DUTCHBAGS

I’m back, with one more chapter of your favorite Brazilian AAR! :D First, sorry for the delay, I’ve been told that there is a comic expo of sorts here, and I have one month to finish my costume xP (I’m going as a Plague Doctor, so yeah, lots of sewing and crafting!) Besides that, I’ve been playing a little competition against my friend (who gave me the idea for the title of this chapter. Thanks Gui! :D) : We’re both playing as the Ottoman Empire, in Single Player. Whoever gets the more awesome map wins. So yeah, not much time for playing as Brazil :/

In an unrelated note, it’s pretty hard to me to spell Brazil with a ‘z’, because in Portuguese, we write Brasil (it’s a crazy rule about the ‘s’ sounding like a ‘z’ in certain words. Madness, I know) I’m trying my best to spellcheck everything I write, but still. Maybe I made a fell slips. Sorry about that.

So let’s do it:

I just had finished my war with Argentina, the the traditional Brazilian’s enemy, and the next target is Bolivia. Nothing against her, but hey, I have a CB, and she has a truce with Argentina, so nobody’s gonna step in and cause some problems.

BatalhaBolvia_Holanda1.jpg

See?

BatalhaBolvia_Holanda2.jpg

As I said, this battle is going well and with no foreigners interven…

BatalhaBolvia_Holanda4.jpg

Crap. Netherlands, a country with a historical craving for Brazilian lands (and sugar), wants a slice of the delicious green-and-yellow cake, also known as Pará.
I panicked a bit. My last experiences with European countries attacking me were terrible, at least.

BatalhaBolvia_Holanda7.jpg

Hell, is that it? The Dutch have a smaller Military score than mine, and only a few brigades more. If I can finish my Bolivian conquests fast, I can even get my forces ready before they arrive in South America!

No, I didn’t get it. The Bolivian war went on for a few months, and my forces were shattered (Tip: Never underestimate the power of attrition!). So I had to mobilize:

BatalhaBolvia_Holanda9.jpg

(These extra armies are reservists. My original forces were of only 16,000 men)
The Netherlands send an army of meager ~30,000 men (I didn’t get a screenshot, so this is a estimate from what I can remember).
The war is basically about attrition. But they have access to British lands, so they can recover peacefully, presumably while sticking their tongues off to Brazilian troops and tap-dancing with their wooden shoes or something.

BatalhaBolvia_Holanda14.jpg

And then, in the middle of the war, I finished the research of Army Professionalism. Now the Brazilian troops would get those cool green uniforms and get toe to toe with the Dutch forces.
This or those wooden shoes were really useless in the jungle.

BatalhaBolvia_Holanda17.jpg

Now Pará is free to produce one of the most beautiful and deep musical styles in Brazilian history: Calypso. (I’m sorry)

The war with Bolivia proved rather more difficult than I had expected but attrition is often a huge problem in this game! Good that you dealt with them nonetheless and also managed to repulse Holland. Hopefully you can now continue paining South America a lovely shade of green.

I had the same attrition problem in my Colombian game. I started using 6000 men divisions just to avoid the painful attrition that is all through South America, until my infrastructure got better. But anyway, a very interesting and funny AAR, count me in!

It's nice to read some local factoids, we Europeans play Brazil without ever knowing where swamps and Paraguayans are. ;-)

A fellow brazilian playing with Brazil? I want to see this :happy:
Pretty cool you got white peace with Netherlands, if attacked so early, I usually have to accept peace :glare:

I didn't have much trouble with the Dutch. If you have AHD, it's likely France will take Suriname away from them very early.

Opa amigo, acho interessante. Vejo pouca gente jogando Victoria II (ou qualquer jogo da Paradox que não seja Magicka ou Cities in Motion), ainda mais postando em fórum. Então, fica meus parabéns pro teu trabalho :) E só pra saber, tu tá usando algum mod ou é limpo?

Really enjoying this AAR, always wanted to see one about Brazil.