• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I suggest you clean some states within your boundaries...

Oh I know :p
Problem is that Syria (which occupies Damascus and Dayz a Zor [sp]) is Catholic, so it's hard as hell to get a cb on them.

Excommunication War?

Surely they meant Miscommunication? Anyone who declares war on Transylvania clearly does not understand the foolishness of his actions.

I like that map, although I was momentarily confused by Georgian vs. Sea blue.

I declared war on them since their manpower was shot to hell from their war with France. My new ally Lithuania excommunicated them :p

And yeah, the Georgia there is kinda wonky. I might colour it a dark dark blue later.

Great update. Now that you have all those Persian lands I foresee Transylvania getting pulled more and more into Asia.

:D

Austria must be mega bored.... Get them some entertainment...

Oh I shall *evil cackle*

If you win this war, Austria won't live much longer. They have lots of enemies that will want to pounce on them.

Most of them Austria actually managed to kill off. Their only other real enemy is France, which is also hurting from their war with Austria and has Spain & GB to deal with.

Nice that the Transylvanian Empire has reached a tendril towards India. Now for Central Europe

Oh yes

PblV5.gif

This Chapter’s Mood Music

Emperor Ákos stood with his hands calmly locked behind his back while he stared out of the window. Behind him in the room stood the Generals and Marshals that would be leading to the Empire’s armies into Austria – Marshal Leopold Dózsa, Marshal Betalan Lackovic, General Lancu Sasul, General Ernö Alvinczy, and General András Elek. Ákos turned to face them.

“Your assignments are on the desk in the corner, but I want to make our objective perfectly clear.”

They all stood quite still, like a painting of perfect toy soldiers.

“We are to crush the Austrians. We are to make quite clear to Europe that its fate is no longer in the hands of the French, the Germans, the English, or any other peoples. Europe belongs to the Transylvanians – we are the masters of its destiny.” Ákos grinned, as did the others.

-----------​

The full might of an Empire had gathered, and the residents of cities all across Transylvania’s western border saw the full extent of that might, as for the weeks following the declaration of war on Austria, regiment after regiment filed through their streets. The sound of drums and boots slamming down on the cobbled streets drowned out all others, as the sun shone on polished pikes and buffed breastplates. Transylvania marched to war.

The first engagement came as General Sasul led the Army de Ferenc into the Austrian province of Krain and smashed aside the Austrian force that had been meant to guard the border. 5,000 Austrians died in the battle, and Sasul left not a single prisoner (as the legend goes). A week later, Marshal Dózsa drove 6,000 Austrians out of Ratibor, and a week following that General Alvinczy took the Army de Leopold north to Kharkov and crushed a third Austrian army in February of 1596.

It was the same story all across the front, as Austrian regiments that were still under-strength from their war against France were rushed into the battle against Transylvania’s regiments filled with veterans of the Persian campaign. In a fit of rage, the Austrian King Karl I von Habsburg threw 8,000 of his crack Imperial cavalry against the Army de Mihály and its commander Marshal Dózsa, who were moving across the Austrian province of Moravia. Even Austria’s best troops were unable to halt the Transylvanian advance however, and the Transylvanian troops brought their pikes forward to drive off the Austrian cavalry, while muskets killed them.

ccQik.jpg

I. The Battle of Ratibor, February 9th, 1596

Austria’s military had now dwindled to under 100,000 men, and the Austrian King sent his first request for peace, which was promptly denied by Emperor Ákos. Finally, on May 9th the war was decided by two separate battles, one as Marshal Betalan Lackovic trapped the Austrian Imperial Army in the province of Krakow. The Austrian regiments were horridly understrength, and their morale shot to hell. 80 Austrian regiments were in the army that Marshal Lackovic faced with his 20, but unlike the Austrians, who numbered just above 16,000 men, the eagle standards of Trasnylvania flew above regiments. The Austrian army was decimated, fleeing the battle in disarray. The other battle came as the Austrian 14th army met the Army de Koloszvár and Mihály in Ersekujvar. The 14th wasn’t as under-strength as the Imperial, but they met two Transylvanian armies instead of just one, and were sent retreating back across the border as well, where they were pursued and destroyed by Transylvanian horsemen.

UckTm.jpg

II. The Battle of Ersekujvar, May 9th, 1596

In a single day Austria had lost all hope of ever winning the war, and desertion from the Austrian armies became commonplace, as men refused to stand against the unwavering Transylvanian columns. Austria’s allies dropped out of the war shortly afterwards – Moldavia, Ansbach, Flanders, and Hesse. Austria stood alone, and Ákos was in no mood to let them get off lightly. Minor battles still took place for the next few months, until finally the entirety of the Austrian military force numbered under 10,000 soldiers. By March of 1597, there was no one left to resist the Transylvanian armies.

The Austrian cities soon began falling like dominoes. First it was Oberpfalz, then the cascade began. Lithuania gobbled up Austria’s easternmost provinces before signing the Treaty of Lublin with the Austrian king Karl I von Habsburg on June 12th of 1597.

53621784.png

The Treaty of Lublin, June 12th, 1597

But Ákos was not so forgiving. The war continued on, and Austrian cities continued to drop their flags and raise the eagle banner in its place. Linz, Sopron, Sieradz, Karnten, Salzburg, Leinz, Wien, Tirol. The list went on and on and on until finally in May of 1598, Ákos finally caved to interior pressure within Transylvania and his own court and sent his demands to the now powerless Austrian King. Dissent within Transylvania over the long and costly war was the sole reason for its ending, as Ákos had been fully willing to see Austrian destroyed entirely, but the Habsburgs and Platers met to discuss terms. The meeting went on for a week and a half, and the sieges continued despite the peace talks. The treaty that came out would show Europe that there was a new Great Power in Europe, and that it did not bow to the will of anyone.

Us7l3.jpg

III. Emperor Ákos ‘the Great’ Plater and King Karl I von Habsburg meet to discuss peace terms, May 6th, 1598

66550827.png

The Treaty of Vienna, May 11th, 1598

tra1598.gif

The Transylvanian Empire after the Treaty of Vienna

I.Painting of the Battle of Neerwinden, 1693. More information can be found here.

II.Painting of the Battle of Friedlingen, 1702. More information can be found here.
III.Painting of the Treaty of Breda, 1667. More information can be found here.

Last edited:
** D A M N **

Nice job, dude! So any Austrian allies you can DoW immediately for the second in a 1-2 punch?

Only now you are acknowledged as a new Great Power?

Seems like the bar is really rather high! :eek:

Slavs? The Magyar-Saxon-Szekely Lithuanian-ruled Transylvania in a land of Romanians, Turks, Bulgars and Rusyns?

I guess Slavs it is.

Wow, those are some huge gains! I"m surprised you could ask that much without going over the 100% limit. And yes, to echo RGB, the bar is set very high apparently. I'd say most of those that are Great Powers are now outshone by the Supreme Power Transylvania.

** D A M N **

Nice job, dude! So any Austrian allies you can DoW immediately for the second in a 1-2 punch?

My war exhaustion is just as high as theirs is :eek:

I'll just watch the rebels tear them apart.

Only now you are acknowledged as a new Great Power?

Seems like the bar is really rather high! :eek:

Slavs? The Magyar-Saxon-Szekely Lithuanian-ruled Transylvania in a land of Romanians, Turks, Bulgars and Rusyns?

I guess Slavs it is.

Well, I figured it goes: Nobody -> Minor Power -> Regional Power -> Continental Power -> Major Power -> Great Power -> Super Power -> Flower Power

Yeah, Transylvania has a sort of identity crisis in this game, since its homeland is in a region that has 1 province (Dacia), and its stated as Hungarian culture, when it's like you said - Magyar/Saxon/Szekely. Having a Lithuanian family ruling the Transylvanian Empire just complicates things even further haha.

Wow, those are some huge gains! I"m surprised you could ask that much without going over the 100% limit. And yes, to echo RGB, the bar is set very high apparently. I'd say most of those that are Great Powers are now outshone by the Supreme Power Transylvania.

Yea me too! The provinces weren't really worth that much in terms of peace cost, since excommunication halves the cost, and Austria was already so gigantic that each province was like 6% cost base.

And Spain used to be a Great Power. I think they're just a major power now that they're bankrupt and have rebels all over the place.

Well done! Austria has been all but eliminated as a threat. :D

Just call yourself Transylvanian! :cool:

You could mod that as a culture into the game.
This is alternative history, so why not new cultures?
You have a Transylvanian identity, not Hungarian nor Slavic.

Yes, please create a Transylvanian culture, something closer to "Burgundian" rather than French/Dutch, if you catch my drift. Having "Slavs" as the dominant people of Transylvania simply won't fit the otherwise pretty interesting story. Plus, as far as I remember not one of the generals ever had a Slavic name (most being Hungarian-ish). Although you do have a Romanian sounding one in the update:). (Lancu Sasul - which looks like a tiny mistranslation of John the Saxon/Iancu Sasul)

Superb, both you and Lithuania walked away with alot. Now to India!

:D

Well done! Austria has been all but eliminated as a threat. :D

Well...

I can't say much :p

Just call yourself Transylvanian! :cool:

You could mod that as a culture into the game.
This is alternative history, so why not new cultures?
You have a Transylvanian identity, not Hungarian nor Slavic.

Damnit, you're right. Transylvanian Culture, Dacian Culturegroup.

Yes, please create a Transylvanian culture, something closer to "Burgundian" rather than French/Dutch, if you catch my drift. Having "Slavs" as the dominant people of Transylvania simply won't fit the otherwise pretty interesting story. Plus, as far as I remember not one of the generals ever had a Slavic name (most being Hungarian-ish). Although you do have a Romanian sounding one in the update:). (Lancu Sasul - which looks like a tiny mistranslation of John the Saxon/Iancu Sasul)

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'Burgundian rather than French/Dutch'. Do you mean have it be another minor culture in an existing culture group?

And I read about Iancu. He sounds like quite a greedy bastard :eek:

WHAT! Gone for 2 days and theres already an update! What's going to happen when I go on vacation later this week!

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'Burgundian rather than French/Dutch'. Do you mean have it be another minor culture in an existing culture group?

What I'm trying to say is that, perhaps given enough time and provided that certain conditions would've been met, the Burgundian state might have been able to produce a franco-dutch culture or "Burgundian" culture. Or at least the "French" parts of Burgundy would've split from the main group.

(ahem) those pictures look like 19th centry warfare not 16th centry :p

WHAT! Gone for 2 days and theres already an update! What's going to happen when I go on vacation later this week!

Oh dear. You might have some reading to catch up on :p

What I'm trying to say is that, perhaps given enough time and provided that certain conditions would've been met, the Burgundian state might have been able to produce a franco-dutch culture or "Burgundian" culture. Or at least the "French" parts of Burgundy would've split from the main group.

Ahh, gotcha. Yea, I think Transylvania has been kicking ass long enough to refine a culture of its own.

(ahem) those pictures look like 19th centry warfare not 16th centry :p

Surely you must be mistaken? ;)

---

Oh, and if anyone knows if there's a guide somewhere kicking around for adding new cultures into a game that would be great, as I've looked and can't seem to find anything (and the last thing I want to do is poke around inside my game files in case I screw something up).

Wish I could help with the modding aspect, sorry. All I can advise is to make many back ups!

And I'd be disappointed if Transylvania didn't enact Settlement policies on at least the entire Balkans/West Slavic groups :p

Oh, and if anyone knows if there's a guide somewhere kicking around for adding new cultures into a game that would be great, as I've looked and can't seem to find anything (and the last thing I want to do is poke around inside my game files in case I screw something up).

New cultures require changes to two files: common/cultures, and any localization file. Don't be afraid of "screwing up" - cultures not on the map do not impact the game at all.

Your bigger problem would be editing the savefile or writing the events.