Trick for microing tanks and maintaining plan preparation bonus

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbrubbles

Lt. General
18 Badges
Jan 6, 2014
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
One of my pet peeves in this game was how annoying it was to get plan preparation bonus on tanks while making sure that they were correctly positioned to push in the places I wanted. Let's take this made-up example:

hoi4 1.png

I want my tanks in Nice to micro them along the coast. If I put my tanks in the same army group as the infantry, they get spread around evenly, so this is out of the question.
What I used to do was create a 1-tile front with my tanks in it:

hoi4 3.png

This works, but as soon as you've pushed a bit and stopped microing, your front is no longer gonna be 1-tile wide and your tanks are gonna try to spread themselves out again, forcing you to redraw your 1-tile front to prepare for your next push.

The thing is, there's a workaround to this (I dunno if this was common knowledge, I just figured it out completely by accident). What you gotta do is have your tank under a field marshall, have the field marshall have a front with a plan, and have your tanks be unassigned. The tanks don't have to be part of the plan, heck, they don't even have to be part of the front line, they'll get the preparation bonus anyway, so long as they are ON any part of the front line!

hoi4 4.png

What's more, the front line doesn't need to have any units in it!

hoi4 5.png

Now you can micro your tanks all you want, they won't try to spread themselves out, and you'll still accrue planning bonus, all of this without having redraw tiny front lines. Do your micro, go do something else, and when a few days have passed, your bonus will be back.

Hope that helps, happy encircling!

• 12Like
Reactions:
Yea this is a fairly common trick, at least for MP players. In addition you can set your tank army to area garrison in the impassable Sahara, so your general can now command up to 72 troops without any penalties.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yea this is a fairly common trick, at least for MP players. In addition you can set your tank army to area garrison in the impassable Sahara, so your general can now command up to 72 troops without any penalties.
No penalties, but he also doesn't gain any xp while doing that. The skills and traits work as expected up to the 72 division limit, but xp gain is stuck at the 24 division limit, so anything above 48 divisions zeroes xp gain.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Its so sad that people have to use tricks to play the game the way they want to/fairly especially as I want to in multiplayer. But I thank you for this post. If you or anyone else sees this: Having those tanks unassigned (or any other units) that are on the frontline of the plan: How exacly does that work?

Can I have a plan under a fieldmarshal, no units assigned to him and thus micro everything myself?

If so, do I not then at least lose various general bonuses as the only way to have a general is for him...to be assigned to a army? Or are we only talking about unassigned in relation to the field marshal here?

Thank you very much in advance

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd heard that you can achieve the same by telling the Field Commander to plan a naval invasion then give all the Generals under them a garrison order for some unreachable country. Full planning bonus without any troop shuffling

The planning bonus could be nice for the first push through the entreched front but after that your tanks with 10km/h should push aside any rushed in unentrenched divisions in there way. So micro is king and planning bonus not needed.

Don't raise old threads from the dead - if you want to discuss this anew, please raise a new thread, in line with the forum code of conduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.