• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Down86

Recruit
Mar 8, 2015
After watching some lets plays online i noticed that there is only 1 way to get your ppl to the other side of the water. That is by bridge. Now i dont have any trouble by that. But it would be a cool thing that you can add the option to let them travel by ferry. So your not stuck on building bridges. Its another cool way to add it to the transit system. ^^

Reactions:
Upvote 0
You're gonna need a LOT of ferry's!!! And parking space. And public transport on the other side. Even if the ferrys also ferry the cars across, you're gonna need a lot of ferrys.
Roads and bridges may be the "only" way, but it's still a bunch more efficient than several ferry's. I know I'd just rather drive across a bridge than take a ferry, and I'm sure the cims would too.

You're gonna need a LOT of ferry's!!! And parking space. And public transport on the other side. Even if the ferrys also ferry the cars across, you're gonna need a lot of ferrys.
Roads and bridges may be the "only" way, but it's still a bunch more efficient than several ferry's. I know I'd just rather drive across a bridge than take a ferry, and I'm sure the cims would too.
Why You need "a lot of ferry's". If there is not a lot of traffic you will be totally fine with a ferry. Obviously you don't use ferries if you have a road with high traffic volume. Also it is a lot cheaper to build a ferry than a bridge.

Also it is a lot cheaper to build a ferry than a bridge.
And you know that because...?
Considering that you have to build ferry landings on each shore, and the continuous expenses involved with ferry operation, it may not be cheaper- especially in the long run.

All I'm saying is they can add ferrys if they want, but I don't think it's a viable option. If there's no bridge around close, sure, cims will use it. If there is a bridge, I'd think a ferry would gather dust.

And you know that because...?
Considering that you have to build ferry landings on each shore, and the continuous expenses involved with ferry operation, it may not be cheaper- especially in the long run.

Well... the tolls from the ferry should be enough to cover operational expense.

And with regards to the bridge, I do have to agree, bridge is more efficient than ferries. BUT, depending on the length, building a bridge should be quite expensive compared to ferries. That way, ferries are more viable as a starting option.

What "tolls"?
There's nothing in the Dev. Diaries about ticket prices for busses, trains, etc. Just the costs involved with setting them up.

I do agree that for crossing huge stretches of water a ferry (actually several ferry-boats) would be cheaper than a long bridge. But we're also talking about efficiency here. That's why I said you're gonna need a lot of ferrys to handle the vehicles-per-hour that a bridge could. Yea, to start, it would be an option, but to me, not a very good one.

Personally, I wouldn't try to extend my city across a huge expanse of water in the first place. I'd just make a separate city, self-contained, "over there". OR I'd probably figure out another way to get from Here to There without crossing that huge body of water in the first place.

The way i see it water travel could be accomplished very similarly to buses and trains. You place the main Ferry Terminal / hub on the shore and provide it with road access or even just a footpath. You then place smaller Quays where ever it is you want them. These Quays would not take up much space and could be place in fairly shallow water.Lastly you create routes for your Ferrys to take. Ferrys would take mainly foot traffic but you could also have car ferrys. Ferrys obviously wouldn't be able to move as much traffic as bridges but would help as an extra option.

In addition ,if we ever get canals, this could also work for smaller river ferries which could travel through canals to provide alternative travel routes/road connections. but create noise pollution. Bonus points for hydrofoils. I think gondolas would also be a good extra to go along with canals. They would carry less people but would be popular with tourists and increase land value (who wouldnt want to build venice if we got working canals?).

Reactions:
I'm not sure why GMeador is such a naysayer with this idea. I think ferries with ferry stops similar to bus routes would be awesome. I'm going to mention ferries along with some more ideas i have for boats assuming i cant find a thread about them already... Besides, who cares if its not 100% efficient - Cims like to have choice just like real people right? If anything it would be totally cute to see cool little boats crossing the water.. and to see little cars loading onto them - aww!