• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(3221)

[retired] FM
Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
Transport Capacity (TC) is described in the TC tooltip rollover as trucks trains and river barges which are used to supply your armed forces with fuel and supply. TC is an abstract number as it is primarily based upon Industrial Capacity. The various modifiers that affect TC are shown in the tooltip:

TC is a direct function of IC – each point of IC gives you 1.5 TC

The tooltip then repeats the overall TC status by displaying Used TC and Available TC. That line is followed by a list of modifiers that affect the TC calculation:

Technology Modifier on IC:
Minister Modifier on IC:
Fuel and Supply Transportation:
Occupied Territory Maintenance:
Redeployment Load:
Partisan Activity:
Undeployed Bases:

The net effect of this is calculated and shown as:
== Current supply efficiency: 100.00%

This Supply Efficiency number is calculated once a day at midnight and is the base number for any supply efficiency calculations for that day for your divisions. This Average Supply Efficiency number is combined with the infrastructure value in each province for each div to produce an Effective Supply Efficiency for that corps/division. ESE has a combat effect and also potentially affects unit speed, organization gain, and the reinforcement rate. While your TC has some overall effects, each corps does it own ESE calculation and this ESE calculation had direct effects.

Many postings are about TC when they should instead focus on ESE as shown below. It is possible to have no TC problems by being under your TC capacity while some of your divisions have ESE problems due to being in low infrastructure provinces. ESE will be discussed first, and TC later, though most are so intertwined that discussing one means having to discuss the other.

ESE Calculation: When you click on a corps, Effective Supply Efficiency is shown in the line between the province name and the list of divisions in the corps. When you wait for the tooltip rollover, you see a calculation that averages the overall Supply Efficiency base number with the infrastructure of the province that the div is in. Any Headquarters’ ESE bonus is added to that average.
Example of tooltip details for Effective Supply Efficiency: 93.03 percent

Average Division ESE: 100.00
Infrastructure: 76.06
HQ Bonus: 5
(Average 100.00 + Infra: 76.06)/2 + HQ 5.00

ESE Combat effect: ESE has a direct combat effect for land combat that is shown in the list of combat modifiers for each div. when the div. is in combat. To calculate the ESE combat effect:

subtract 100 from the division’s ESE then divide that by 2.

Ex. with an ESE of 108.04: (108.04-100) = 8.04 = ESE +4.02 which is shown in the combat modifiers.

Ex. with an ESE of 71.90: (71.90-100) = -28.10 = ESE –14.05 which is shown in the combat modifiers.

ESE combat effects can be positive but are usually negative. Defenders in their own countries can have negative ESE combat effects due primarily to low infrastructure. ESE combat modifiers can often be the equivalent of subtracting several skill levels from your Generals.

ESE lower than 100 has other unit effects. Unit with <100 ESE will recover organization slower and will get reinforcements slower. ESE also has a speed effect; since we are given no specific information about unit speed such as a speed tooltip, however, it is difficult to be more specific than that.

While you should have concerns if and when your TC drops below 100%, you should be focusing more on ESE as ESE is a specific unit measure that affects your troops.

WHAT CAN I DO IF MY DIVISIONS HAVE LOW ESE?

1) Put your corps on Offensive Supply. Offensive supply increases the average Supply Efficiency for just that corps by 1.5x for one month. The tooltip reads: Assign fuel and supplies for an Offensive to the selected units. This will increase their supply efficiency by 50% for 30 days. The supply efficiency calculation for Offensive Supply is a multiplier of 1.5x the Current Supply Efficiency value (it is not additive).

If your Average Supply Efficiency was 100 (you are under your Transport Capacity), that corps gets an Average Division ESE of 150 for it’s specific ESE calculation when given an Offensive Supply order. Ex:

in an 80 infrastructure province, 150 and 80 average to 115 which with a 5 HQ effect nets 120 for that corps. Without offensive supply, the ESE calculation would be to average 100+80 and then add the 5 HQ effect netting 95. The Offensive Supply order results in +25 ESE. In combat that would mean changing a –2.5 ESE combat modifier to a +10 ESE combat modifier, which is the equivalent of adding more than 2 skill levels to the leader of that corps.

If your are exceeding your Transport Capacity: If your average Supply Efficiency was 80%, with an Offensive Supply order that becomes 120% (shown in the ESE tooltip for that corps as Average Supply Efficiency: 120). That 120 would then be averaged with the infrastructure that the province is in. If the infrastructure was 60, the before and after Offensive Supply calculations would be (without any HQ effects):

BEFORE: 80+60 Average: 70
AFTER: 120+60 Average: 90

Example from screenshots: Motor Inf with eng bde fighting deep in Russia June 1942 go from 57.4 ESE to 82.4 ESE after they get Offensive Supply.

How much does Offensive Supply Cost? The supply and oil amount for each div and each bde that is put on offensive supply are shown in the Offensive Supply icon rollover if you pause before giving the order. The Offensive Supply Icon is in the bottom right and has an --> over a supply graphic. Examples of the Offensive Supply order costs for one month:

3 Inf Eng Supply Cost: 217.2 Fuel Cost: 0.0
9 Inf Supply Cost: 492.5 Fuel Cost: 0.0
9 Pz eng Supply Cost: 2189.3 Fuel Cost: 3603.8

These supply and fuel costs are additional costs beyond the normal daily costs. For the 9 inf div in the example above, that’s an additional supply cost of 1.82 supplies a day. Each inf div normally uses 1 supply each day.

- Note that you can not add brigades to a division that has been given an offensive supply order as bde are part of the supply and fuel cost calculations. If you could add them, this would be an exploit as the bde fuel and supply costs would not be factored into the offensive supply calculation.

Can Offensive Supply be useful in high infrastructure provinces when you do not exceed your TC? Yes. Your ESE combat effect would be +12.5 (150 + 100 infra average to 125 from which 100 is subtracted with 25 cut in half for the combat effect). Infrastructure in provinces can also temporarily decrease due to combat. Example: German Pz take an open Amiens which is just north of Paris. Infrastructure is 0.50/100 due to combat damage when you pause over infrastructure in the province info screen. Without offensive supply, those Pz div attacking Paris would have an ESE of 75 (average of 100+50) and an ESE: -12.5 combat effect. With offensive supply their ESE is 100 (average of 150+50) which results in a neutral ESE combat effect rather than a negative ESE combat modifier.

Where else would Offensive Supply be useful? Any place where province infra is below 100 (which is ¾ of the world) and when your Transport Capacity is exceeded. It is particularly useful where you need certain div to more quickly regain strength and organization.

2) What other immediate steps can I take to increase my ESE?

2.1) Move an HQ next to your corps to get a small ESE boost. The amount of ESE boost from an HQ is determined by your land doctrines. Any ESE from an HQ is directly added to the ESE for that corps as shown above. The USA gets the most benefit from HQ for ESE from their land doctrine path, Germany starts high, and the Soviet Union has almost no HQ ESE effect early on though it can eventually catch up to the Germans). See
the Land Doctrine FAQ on Wiki for more details.

2.2) Use Logistics Generals as much as possible especially in quieter areas. Each Logistics General reduces supply and fuel usage by 25%. That results in fewer supplies and oil having to be sent to your divisions and that will reduce the Fuel and Supply Transportation modifier to your TC.

2.3) Put all div in non national provinces on anti partisan duty. Zoom and sweep the mouse to grab a lot of corps in an area. Then look at their mission list to make sure that these div are on anti partisan duty. Ex.: I switched some German div in Poland from none to anti partisan and this decreased the Partisan Activity part of the TC rollover to 4.47 from 7.11 Every bit helps.

2.4) When anything that uses fuel moves, that increases the strain on your TC as more fuel needs to be shipped and that decreases the average Supply Efficiency. Ex.: I had most of my German Panzer and Motor Inf div stationary in Russia in 1942 and my overall Supply Efficiency was 64.06% I deliberately gave them all move commands and waited until midnight for the daily calculation and Supply Efficiency dropped down to 52.50% That's an 11.56% drop in average Supply Efficiency just because more oil was consumed when all the Pz and Motor div started moving and using lots more fuel. While you can’t avoid moving your armor and other oil using div and bde, movement affects your TC and ESE.

2.5) You can liberate occupied territory. The usefulness of this will depend upon how much IC these liberated areas get. Occupied Territory Maintenance can be a big drain on your TC when you start conquering ( note that annexed territory does not add to TC except for the small partisan activity factor ). Ex.: as Germany I liberated Lithuania which has five provinces. Transport Capacity went down from 747 to 745 due to the small lose in IC. Supply Efficiency, however, increased from 84.50% to 88.48%.

2.6) Don’t keep a lot of bde or div or bases in your deployment pool. Deploy newly built bde immediately as they cost as much as a division for the Redeployment Load (5 each). Undeployed Bases add 100 to the TC costs.

WHAT ARE THE STRATEGIC CONSIDERATIONS FOR BETTER TC AND ESE?

- The more IC that you have, the higher the TC you have due to the direct 1.5x factor (TC = 1.5x your net IC).

- You should research the three infantry supply tech which each have a positive +10% TC modifier:

Rear area supply Dumps (a 1936 tech which some countries already have)

Deep Logistic Organization (1940)

Frontline Supply Service (1942)

- Keep a large supply surplus rather than building yet another unit. You need to balance whether having more div on the field is as effective as using Offensive Supply for your units that are already in action.

- The fuel costs for oil using div and bde such as Pz div can be a big strain on your TC. Consider substituting air power or using inf div rather than using Armored or Mech Inf Div. You also have to factor in the supply and oil use effects for brigades into this analysis. Arty bde use around 1 supply which is the same supply (and TC) cost as an inf div. Heavy armor bde use 2+ oil a day. You probably shouldn’t just use unbrigaded inf or inf-eng, but the fuel and supply drain on your TC from unit's fuel and supply requirements is yet another factor that you need to consider.

- The biggest factors affecting your TC will likely be Fuel and Supply Transportation for your troops and Occupied Territory Maintenance when you have a lot of occupied territory. Air and navy bases are a big TC drain unless you deploy them immediately.

- Partisan affects are often relatively minor in comparison to those factors. To reduce this small factor, put some cav or inf div on anti partisan duty in a web pattern where they can automatically move to put down any revolts. Security div with police bde on antipartisan duty will suppress partisan levels very effectively.

What modifiers affect TC?

The \db\misc.txt has these factors:

# TC Undeployed Division Load

# TC Occupied Province Load

# TC Land Division Load Multiplier

# TC Air Division Load Multiplier

# TC Naval Division Load Multiplier

# TC Load from partisans

# TC load factor from offensives

# TC Load from province dev

# TC Load from bases in queue

Notes:
- Each undeployed brigade also seems to cost 5 (same as a division). The manual’s info about these costs is incorrect.
- Each occupied province costs 3 TC but that can be reduced by inf/supply research.
- The 3.0 TC Load from partisans seems to mean .03 for each non-national province. It is shown as part of the calculations on the partisan activities line. This is deduced by a liberation example: Germany liberates Lithuania which gets 5 provinces. The partisan number goes down by 0.15 (.03*5=.15) Switching units from no mission to antipartisan duties mission will also decrease the partisan activities line. Ex.: Germany annexes Poland and switches div there to antipartisan duty. Partisan line decreases to 4.47 from 7.11 Both factors seem to be combined in the TC rollover line for partisan activities.

How does research affect TC?

There are three infantry supply techs that directly affect TC:

Each of them has the same four effects:

command = { type = tc_mod value = 10 }
command = { type = tc_occupied_mod value = 20 }
command = { type = attrition_mod value = 15 }
command = { type = supply_dist_mod value = 10 }

The earliest, rear area supply dumps, also adds some things that do not directly affect TC:

command = { type = enable_task which = strat_redeploy }
command = { type = task_efficiency which = strat_redeploy value = 0.5 }
command = { type = activate_unit_type which = engineer }

Researching land doctrines will affect your HQ ability to add ESE.

What is still unclear about TC? ( at least to me )

- Calculations for Occupied provinces: There is a load of 3 TC for each occupied province. That decreases with each supply tech. For Germany this can be calculated precisely when Germany has only it’s beginning supply tech as Germany ends up with 14 occupied Belgium and Netherlands provinces. The calculation is a 20% reduction (1-.2)*3*14 = 33.6 which matches what is on screen in the TC tooltip. With the second 1940 supply tech which again lists a 20% effect, I get a different number here that I am, however, unable to match. Whether I don’t have the correct formula or whether something else affects this or whether this is a bug is unclear.

- Each inf/supply tech shows the same effect: supply_dist_mod value = 10 It’s not clear to me whether the supply_dist_ means supply distance or supply distribution. Since this is an inf/supply tech, I guess it has something to do with enhancing supply distribution rather than any TC effects. The screen information, however, reads as Supply Distance Modifier: +10.0% Where this is shown in the game and what it really is remains a mystery to me.

- Distance factors: The unit load and province factors in the TC rollover seem to be straight forward and don’t show any discernible distance effects. The game calculates ESE for each corps by using only the infrastructure of the province that the corps is in rather than trying to calculate the infrastructure of each province along a supply chain. Whether one of your divisions is in the capital or thousands of km away from the capital on a different continent does not seem to be part of the TC calculations. Having to send supplies 89 km or 1438 km does not seem to be a factor in the game.

- TC load factor from offensives: this is mentioned in the \db\misc.txt file. While I use offensive supply a lot, I have yet to figure out where this would be shown in the TC tooltip. If it is a factor, it seems to be relatively insignificant.

- TC tooltip minister modifier: I have yet to see any minister with any TC effects. I looked at various ministers that other countries have via the diplomatic negotiations screen and still don’t see any with TC modifier abilities.

===========

Any revisions, clarifications, or additional examples are welcome.

I found out a lot about tc and ese but i have one question .How can i supply my troops ona allied soil.I'm getting so mad in my curent game as the turks cause i can't drive the british away from iraq and syria. Because as soon as i get in syria it returns to vichy france and thus no supplies.I'm so mad i'd dow the french if i could.However this is just my 3rd game so i could use sugestions.

john heidle said:
- TC tooltip minister modifier: I have yet to see any minister with any TC effects. I looked at various ministers that other countries have via the diplomatic negotiations screen and still don’t see any with TC modifier abilities.

Well, at least on this point I can help out. Heads of State (and potentially Heads of Government?) fall into this category.

Argentina starts (in 36) with Augustin P. Justo, a Resigned Generalissimo, who delivers, among other things, a quite hefty bonus of +15% to TC.

As Heads of State and Government are not listed in the minister effects file, I don't know how to get a quick overview on others.

And: Nice work!

A very nice summary.

I wanted to point out one thing even though this may be obvious to most.

It is only the factories that are actually running that give the TC. This means that if you build a large number of factories early as Germany but run into resource shortages later on, your available TC will plummet.

I like to play the '39 scenario as Germany. This means no peacetime stockpiling of resources and tends to mean shortages of rares by late '42 or mid '43. Just like you can get a short term ESE boost with offensive supply, in a resource shortage situation you can get a short term boost to TC and indirectly ESE by a one time resource trade with some country. It is usually easy enough to trade a large block of energy and metal to some country such as Sweden and get enough rares to run your factories normally for two weeks or so. The timing of this surge in supplies can be critical.

john heidle said:

- Calculations for Occupied provinces: There is a load of 3 TC for each occupied province. That decreases with each supply tech. For Germany this can be calculated precisely when Germany has only it’s beginning supply tech as Germany ends up with 14 occupied Belgium and Netherlands provinces. The calculation is a 20% reduction (1-.2)*3*14 = 33.6 which matches what is on screen in the TC tooltip. With the second 1940 supply tech which again lists a 20% effect, I get a different number here that I am, however, unable to match. Whether I don’t have the correct formula or whether something else affects this or whether this is a bug is unclear.

Is it 1/(1+0.2) or 1/(1+0.4) instead? (that would be ~35)This would be the same form as the attrition formula, which is also changed only by the supply techs. But I haven't tested either yet.

- TC load factor from offensives: this is mentioned in the \db\misc.txt file. While I use offensive supply a lot, I have yet to figure out where this would be shown in the TC tooltip. If it is a factor, it seems to be relatively insignificant.

It isn't a factor, as the supplies used for offensives are used instantly, rather than daily as for normal supplies.

The only minister to directy affect TC is the Resigned Generallissimo (Head of State). Nationalist Spain has Franco, Nationalist China has Chiang Kai Shek after 1943. The resigned generalliso gives increased supply generation (+10%) as well as increased TC (+15%). Sadly, head of states are hard to get rid of, only by event and massive slider change.

Also, the "Guns and Butter" minister for chief of the army will give -15% supplies, which will indirectly affect the amount supplies (and hence, TC) that your armies are using. And obviously, other IC giving ministers will indirectly give higher TC by giving higher IC.

EDIT: beaten to the punch on resigned G'mo by Odeon.

Last edited:
Beautificous. Bodaciolacious.

We you get this to a somewhat 'finished' stage, I suggest you PDF it (or I can) and then post it at StonyRoad. This is the stink...

Transport Capacity and Supply Efficiency: draft FAQ second edition
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transport Capacity (TC) is described in the TC tooltip rollover as trucks trains and river barges which are used to supply your armed forces with fuel and supply. TC is an abstract number as it is primarily based upon Industrial Capacity. The various modifiers that affect TC are shown in the tooltip:

TC is a direct function of IC – each point of IC gives you 1.5 TC

The tooltip then repeats the overall TC status by displaying Used TC and Available TC. That line is followed by a list of modifiers that affect the TC calculation:

Technology Modifier on IC:
Minister Modifier on IC:
Fuel and Supply Transportation:
Occupied Territory Maintenance:
Redeployment Load:
Partisan Activity:
Undeployed Bases:

The net effect of this is calculated and shown as:

== Current supply efficiency: 100.00%

This Supply Efficiency number is calculated once a day at midnight and is the base number for any supply efficiency calculations for that day for your divisions. This Average Supply Efficiency number is combined with the infrastructure value in each province for each div to produce an Effective Supply Efficiency for that corps/division. ESE has a combat effect and also potentially affects unit speed, organization gain, upgrade rate, and the reinforcement rate. While your TC has some overall effects, each corps does it own specific ESE calculation and this ESE calculation has direct effects.

Many postings are about TC when they should instead focus on ESE as shown below. It is possible to have no TC problems by being under your TC capacity while some of your divisions have ESE problems due to being in low infrastructure provinces. ESE will be discussed first, and TC later, though most are so intertwined that discussing one means having to discuss the other.

ESE Calculation:
When you click on a corps, Effective Supply Efficiency is shown in the line between the province name and the list of divisions in the corps. When you wait for the tooltip rollover, you see a calculation that averages the overall Supply Efficiency base number with the infrastructure of the province that the div is in. Any Headquarters’ ESE bonus is added to that average.
Example of tooltip details for Effective Supply Efficiency: 93.03 percent

Average Division ESE: 100.00
Infrastructure: 76.06
HQ Bonus: 5
(Average 100.00 + Infra: 76.06)/2 + HQ 5.00

ESE COMBAT EFFECT:
ESE has a direct combat effect for land combat that is shown in the list of combat modifiers for each div. when the div. is in combat. To calculate the ESE combat effect:

subtract 100 from the division’s ESE then divide that by 2.

Ex. with an ESE of 108.04: (108.04-100) = 8.04 = ESE +4.02 which is shown in the combat modifiers.

Ex. with an ESE of 71.90: (71.90-100) = -28.10 = ESE –14.05 which is shown in the combat modifiers.

ESE combat effects can be positive but are usually negative. Defenders in their own countries can have negative ESE combat effects due primarily to low infrastructure. ESE combat modifiers can often be the equivalent of subtracting several skill levels from your Generals.

ESE lower than 100 has other unit effects. Unit with <100 ESE will recover organization slower, upgrade slower, and will get reinforcements slower. ESE also has a speed effect which is discussed in this thread Influences on Movement which is trying to find a formula to calculate speed.

While you should have concerns if and when your TC drops below 100%, you should be focusing more on ESE as ESE is a specific unit measure that affects your troops.

WHAT CAN I DO IF MY DIVISIONS HAVE LOW ESE?

1) Put your corps on Offensive Supply. Offensive supply increases the average Supply Efficiency for just that corps by 1.5x for one month. The tooltip reads: Assign fuel and supplies for an Offensive to the selected units. This will increase their supply efficiency by 50% for 30 days. The supply efficiency calculation for Offensive Supply is a multiplier of 1.5x the Current Supply Efficiency value (it is not additive).

If your Average Supply Efficiency was 100 (you are under your Transport Capacity), that corps gets an Average Division ESE of 150 for it’s specific ESE calculation when given an Offensive Supply order. Ex:

in an 80 infrastructure province, 150 and 80 average to 115 which with a 5 HQ effect nets 120 for that corps. Without offensive supply, the ESE calculation would be to average 100+80 and then add the 5 HQ effect netting 95. The Offensive Supply order results in +25 ESE. In combat that would mean changing a –2.5 ESE combat modifier to a +10 ESE combat modifier, which is the equivalent of adding more than 2 skill levels to the leader of that corps.

If your are exceeding your Transport Capacity: If your average Supply Efficiency was 80%, with an Offensive Supply order that becomes 120% for that corps (shown in the ESE tooltip for that corps as Average Supply Efficiency: 120). That 120 would then be averaged with the infrastructure that the province is in. If the infrastructure was 60, the before and after Offensive Supply calculations would be (without any HQ effects):

Code:
BEFORE: 80+60 Average: 70
Code:
AFTER: 120+60 Average: 90

Example from screenshots: Motor Inf with eng bde fighting deep in Russia June 1942 go from 57.4 ESE to 82.4 ESE after they get Offensive Supply.

How much does Offensive Supply Cost? The supply and oil amount for each div and each bde that is put on offensive supply are shown in the Offensive Supply icon tooltip rollover if you pause before giving the order. The Offensive Supply Icon is in the bottom right and has an --> over a supply graphic. Examples of the Offensive Supply order costs for one month:

Code:
3 Inf Eng Supply Cost: 217.2 Fuel Cost: 0.0
Code:
9 Inf Supply Cost: 492.5 Fuel Cost: 0.0
Code:
9 Pz eng Supply Cost: 2189.3 Fuel Cost: 3603.8

These supply and fuel costs are additional costs beyond the normal daily costs. For the 9 inf div in the example above, that’s an additional supply cost of 1.82 supplies a day. Each inf div normally uses about 1 supply each day.

- Note that you can not add brigades to a division that has been given an offensive supply order as bde are part of the supply and fuel cost calculations. If you could add them, this would be an exploit as the bde fuel and supply costs would not be factored into the offensive supply calculation.

Can Offensive Supply be useful in high infrastructure provinces when you do not exceed your TC? Yes.
Your ESE combat effect would be +12.5 (150 + 100 infra average to 125 from which 100 is subtracted with 25 cut in half for the combat effect). Infrastructure in provinces can also temporarily decrease due to combat. Example: German Pz take an open Amiens which is just north of Paris. Infrastructure is 0.50/100 due to combat damage when you pause over infrastructure in the province info screen. Without offensive supply, those Pz div attacking Paris would have an ESE of 75 (average of 100+50) and an ESE: -12.5 combat effect. With offensive supply their ESE is 100 (average of 150+50) which results in a neutral ESE combat effect rather than a negative ESE combat modifier.

Where else would Offensive Supply be useful? Any place where province infra is below 100 (which is ¾ of the world) and when your Transport Capacity is exceeded. It is particularly useful where you need certain div to more quickly regain strength and organization.

2.) What other immediate steps can I take to improve my TC or ESE?

2.1) Move an HQ next to your corps to get a small ESE boost. The amount of ESE boost from an HQ is determined by your land doctrines. Any ESE from an HQ is directly added to the ESE for that corps as shown above. The USA gets the most benefit from HQ for ESE from their land doctrine path, Germany starts high, and the Soviet Union has almost no HQ ESE effect early on though it can eventually catch up to the Germans). See the Land Doctrine FAQ on Wiki for more details.

2.2) Use Logistics Generals as much as possible especially in quieter areas. Each Logistics General reduces supply and fuel usage by 25%. That results in fewer supplies and oil having to be sent to your divisions and that will reduce the Fuel and Supply Transportation modifier to your TC.

2.3) Put all div in non national provinces on anti partisan duty. Zoom and sweep the mouse to grab a lot of corps in an area. Then look at their mission list to make sure that these div are on anti partisan duty. Ex.: I switched some German div in Poland from none to anti partisan and this decreased the Partisan Activity part of the TC rollover to 4.47 from 7.11 Every bit helps.

2.4) When anything that uses fuel moves, that increases the strain on your TC as more fuel needs to be shipped and that decreases the average Supply Efficiency. Ex.: I had most of my German Panzer and Motor Inf div stationary in Russia in 1942 and my overall Supply Efficiency was 64.06% I deliberately gave them all move commands and waited until midnight for the daily calculation and Supply Efficiency dropped down to 52.50% That's an 11.56% drop in average Supply Efficiency just because more oil was consumed when all the Pz and Motor div started moving and using lots more fuel. While you can’t avoid moving your armor and other oil using div and bde, movement affects your TC and ESE.

2.5) You can liberate occupied territory. The usefulness of this will depend upon how much IC these liberated areas get. Occupied Territory Maintenance can be a big drain on your TC when you start conquering ( note that annexed territory does not add to TC except for the small partisan activity factor ). Ex.: as Germany I liberated Lithuania which has five provinces. Transport Capacity went down from 747 to 745 due to the small lose in IC. Supply Efficiency, however, increased from 84.50% to 88.48%. TC goes down from liberation but ESE goes up - which again is why you should focus more on ESE than on TC.

2.6) Don’t keep a lot of bde or div or bases in your deployment pool. Deploy newly built bde immediately as they cost as much as a division for the Redeployment Load (5 each). Undeployed Bases add 100 to the TC costs.

WHAT ARE THE STRATEGIC CONSIDERATIONS FOR BETTER TC AND ESE?

- The more IC that you have, the higher the TC you have due to the direct 1.5x factor (TC = 1.5x your net IC).

- You should research the three infantry supply tech which each have a positive +10% TC modifier:

- Keep a large supply surplus rather than building yet another unit. You need to balance whether having more div on the field is as effective as using Offensive Supply for your units that are already in action.

- The fuel costs for oil using div and bde such as Pz div can be a big strain on your TC. Consider substituting air power or using inf div rather than using Armored or Mech Inf Div. You also have to factor in the supply and oil use effects for brigades into this analysis. Arty bde use around 1 supply which is the same supply (and TC) cost as an inf div. Heavy armor bde use 2+ oil a day. You probably shouldn’t just use unbrigaded inf or inf-eng, but the fuel and supply drain on your TC from unit's fuel and supply requirements is yet another factor that you need to consider.

- The biggest factors affecting your TC will likely be Fuel and Supply Transportation for your troops and Occupied Territory Maintenance when you have a lot of occupied territory. Air and navy bases are a big TC drain unless you deploy them immediately.

- Partisan affects are often relatively minor in comparison to those factors. To reduce this small factor, put some cav or inf div on anti partisan duty in a web pattern where they can automatically move to put down any revolts. Security div with police bde on antipartisan duty will suppress partisan levels very effectively.

- The minister modifier for transportation capacity comes from a Resigned Generallissimo in the Head of State position. The resigned generallissimo gives increased supply generation (+10%) as well as increased TC (+15%). These would probably be very rare to get in most countries in most games. An example of the resigned generalissimo can be found in the ministers_hun.CSV file in\db\ministers:
21042;Head of State;Miklós Horthy de Nagybánya;44;NS;Resigned Generalissimo;High;M21001;x

Search the country you are playing ministers_XXX CSV file with WordPad or a word processor to see if there is an opportunity to get a minister with those traits. The option to get those choices would probably only come with a change in government so you would need to be prepared ahead of time to recognize the name of this very valuable minister.

What modifiers affect TC?

The \db\misc.txt has these factors:

# TC Undeployed Division Load

# TC Occupied Province Load

# TC Land Division Load Multiplier

# TC Air Division Load Multiplier

# TC Naval Division Load Multiplier

# TC Load from partisans

# TC load factor from offensives

# TC Load from province dev

# TC Load from bases in queue

Notes:
- Each undeployed brigade also seems to cost 5 (same as a division). The manual’s info about these costs is incorrect.
- Each occupied province costs 3 TC but that can be reduced by inf/supply research.
- The 3.0 TC Load from partisans seems to mean .03 for each non-national province. It is shown as part of the calculations on the partisan activities line. This is deduced by a liberation example: Germany liberates Lithuania which gets 5 provinces. The partisan number goes down by 0.15 (.03*5=.15) Switching units from no mission to antipartisan duties mission will also decrease the partisan activities line. Ex.: Germany annexes Poland and switches div there to antipartisan duty. Partisan line decreases to 4.47 from 7.11 Both factors seem to be combined in the TC rollover line for partisan activities.

How does research affect TC?

There are three infantry supply techs that directly affect TC:

Each of them has the same four effects:

command = { type = tc_mod value = 10 }
command = { type = tc_occupied_mod value = 20 }
command = { type = attrition_mod value = 15 }
command = { type = supply_dist_mod value = 10 }

The earliest, rear area supply dumps, also adds some things that do not directly affect TC:

command = { type = enable_task which = strat_redeploy }
command = { type = task_efficiency which = strat_redeploy value = 0.5 }
command = { type = activate_unit_type which = engineer }

Researching land doctrines will affect your HQ ability to add ESE.

- Calculations for Occupied provinces: There is a load of 3 TC for each occupied province. That decreases with each supply tech. For Germany this can be calculated precisely when Germany has only it’s beginning supply tech as Germany ends up with 14 occupied Belgium and Netherlands provinces. The calculation is a 20% reduction (1-.2)*3*14 = 33.6 which matches what is on screen in the TC tooltip. With the second 1940 supply tech which again lists a 20% effect, I get a different number here that I am, however, unable to match. I can get one formula to match the first tech, but a different formula matches the second tech. Whether I don’t have the correct formula or whether something else affects this or whether this is a bug is unclear.

Code:
formula		42	on screen
Code:
(1-0.2)	0.8	33.6	33.6	matches for 1st tech
Code:
(1-0.4)	0.6	25.2		does not match for the 2nd tech
Code:
(1/1+0.2)	0.833333333	35		does not match for the 1st tech
Code:
(1/1+0.4)	0.714285714	30	30	matches for the 2nd tech

- Each inf/supply tech shows the same effect: supply_dist_mod value = 10 It’s not clear to me whether the supply_dist_ means supply distance or supply distribution. Since this is an inf/supply tech, I guess it has something to do with enhancing supply distribution rather than any TC effects. The screen information, however, reads as Supply Distance Modifier: +10.0% Where this is shown in the game and what it really is remains a mystery to me.

- Distance factors: The unit load and province factors in the TC rollover seem to be straight forward and don’t show any discernible distance effects. The game calculates ESE for each corps by using only the infrastructure of the province that the corps is in rather than trying to calculate the infrastructure of each province along a supply chain. Whether one of your divisions is in the capital or thousands of km away from the capital on a different continent does not seem to be part of the TC calculations. Having to send supplies 89 km or 1438 km does not seem to be a factor in the game.

revised 21 March 05

2nd edition revision notes:

1) The information about minister effects of TC (Resigned Generallissimo in the Head of State position) was added to the strategy section as the last item.

2) Speed and ESE: I was unable to summarize the ESE effect's from the thread about trying to calculate it, so I just linked to that thread.

3) OTM calculations: my original formula worked for the first tech but not the second tech. The suggested change worked for the second tech but not the first. The formula is 3 * number of Occupied Provinces reduced by tech, but I can not understand which formula is right or which is wrong or whether there is something else that I do not understand.

JH

The contribution of partisans to TC load is definitely not a flat amount per province that contains partisan activity. I am positive that the % of partisan activity fits into the equation.

In my current game I have gone through a period of several consecutive months with no provinces changing hands in any way. During this time I did some things that created national dissent which indirectly boosts partisan activity. Over the course of several months I saw the partisan contribution go down gradually as my dissent was gradually reduced. Naturally it did not reach zero when dissent did since I still have partisan activity, but the relation between partisan activity level and TC load is obvious.

I think the 3.0 partisan TC load number is a multiplier. Lets say you have 15% partisan activity in a province. I beleive this adds .45 to your TC demand. Doing this entire calculation across my currently large empire is more tedious than I care to undertake, but I believe this is correct.

The only thing worse than an undeployed brigade is an undeployed base. :)

Great info. As far as the ESE effect on movement goes, it appears to be a direct correlation. 50% ESE, 50% movement after modification for all other factors (terrain, night, infrastructure, etc.).

Try it with moving a division, then kick it's supply up by supplying it for an offensive, and it's a direct correlation between increases.

mld0806 said:
The only thing worse than an undeployed brigade is an undeployed base. :)

Now the only thing worse than an undeployed base might be the undeployed berlin wall. :)

to john heidle:
I especially like your idea with the "what is still unclear?" section. Fantastic way to get people to contribute.
Now, unfortunately I feel waaaay too lazy to grapple with the last open issue.... :)

Such a thing would also have helped me in other faqs when I was torn on whether the author was being vague, or I just too thick to get it.

Dalwin said:
The contribution of partisans to TC load is definitely not a flat amount per province that contains partisan activity. I am positive that the % of partisan activity fits into the equation.

In my current game I have gone through a period of several consecutive months with no provinces changing hands in any way. During this time I did some things that created national dissent which indirectly boosts partisan activity. Over the course of several months I saw the partisan contribution go down gradually as my dissent was gradually reduced. Naturally it did not reach zero when dissent did since I still have partisan activity, but the relation between partisan activity level and TC load is obvious.

I think the 3.0 partisan TC load number is a multiplier. Lets say you have 15% partisan activity in a province. I beleive this adds .45 to your TC demand. Doing this entire calculation across my currently large empire is more tedious than I care to undertake, but I believe this is correct.

Since you did not quote any section, I assume that you are mentioning this:

I will try out your idea in my current game when I conquer Poland and Denmark. That's less than 20 total provinces so it should be manageable.

Dalwin said:

Since you did not quote any section, I assume that you are mentioning this:

I will try out your idea in my current game when I conquer Poland and Denmark. That's less than 20 total provinces so it should be manageable.

john heidle said:
3) OTM calculations: my original formula worked for the first tech but not the second tech. The suggested change worked for the second tech but not the first. The formula is 3 * number of Occupied Provinces reduced by tech, but I can not understand which formula is right or which is wrong or whether there is something else that I do not understand.

JH

I would opt for the second formula since that's how the value is stored in the savegame (1.200 or 1.400). The question remains what could have caused the variance with the first tech only. Maybe by editing the savegame the results can be achieved in the quickest way.