Trains absolutely REFUSE to use second platform for airport cargo station!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Glitcher

Banned
Aug 4, 2017
So here's the story. One of my cargo stations was getting too much train traffic, so I swapped it out with an airport cargo station with tracks split between north stations and south stations on one end to divvy up traffic. Here's a screenshot of the layout:

Screenshot 25.png

Simple enough, right? Except there's a problem: Trains are refusing to use the north platform! Any freight coming from the North will go out of their way to use the South platform even if it means taking an insane roundabout route. Take a look at the pathfinding:

Screenshot 26.png

See! A train coming from a North station will divert South towards the waterfront in order to use the South platform instead of the much more convenient North platform. The same problem occurs with imports/exports. Here's more madness:

Screenshot 27.png

WTF is going on with the routing? I double-checked the tracks to make sure everything is connected properly, but trains utterly refuse to use the North platform. I'd love to hear from @co_avanya to know if this is a bug with the pathfinding and if so, if there's a fix coming. I put a lot of hours into setting up this track layout in tight quarters and I don't want to abandon it because of broken pathfinding. Any other comments?

PS. I'm not using any traffic mods. This is strictly vanilla.

Reactions:
What about if your take away the option for your fright train to drive on that purple line.. cut it off.
Maybe share your save game through Steam.

Because there's no point in doing that. It would defeat the purpose of having a dual platform station and I'll end up with the same train congestion as with the original cargo station. :rolleyes:

Right now you are giving your trains to many options to arrive at that station. Your south platform should not have any train track going to the north direction. Cut it off. Your north platform should also not have any train track going to the south direction.. also cut this one off.

Or else I do not get your design.

No, you're missing the point. The South platform goes to the port while the North platform goes to the North station. There's no direct connection between the South platform and the North station. What's happening is that a train coming from the North station diverts South through the port just to use the South platform instead of the North platform. It's completely asinine!

You're welcome to inspect my .crp save file to see how I routed the tracks. There are a couple of workshop assets, but the train lines function perfectly without them.

Attachments

• Daisy Town 3.crp
    30,5 MB · Views: 0
Thanks I found it.
I believe it is more likely that there is no need for the second platform or in this case the first platform.
I mean you are having an intensive cargo train system build up, which means that there just might be no reason for the first platform to be used.
:oops: Read the first post again. The reason I swapped out the cargo station with a cargo airport station is because I was getting too much train traffic from the North and South stations. If you don't believe me, here's a save I made with the original cargo station still in place. You can see the congestion leading up to it.

Attachments

• Daisy Town.crp
    30,6 MB · Views: 0
As my city has not yet reached that level for that cargo terminal I cannot help you more then this.
Let's hope that Avanya or someone else could confirm/disapprove your issue then..

What? That makes no sense. My city's population is high enough to unlock all buildings, so you should be able to view my train network just fine. o_O

As a further test, I tried cutting off the South platform entirely. All tracks are routed to the North platform. Result: NO TRAINS USE THE CARGO AIRPORT STATION! Trains still refuse to travel to the North platform (closest to the road) even if it's the only one available. The North platform is completely broken! @co_avanya please fix this problem!

Last edited:
Reactions:
We're currently investigating this, which unfortunately is all I am able to tell you at this time.

Also, multiple tags doesn't summon me faster. I check unread posts before I notice my notifications, and I read pretty much every thread on here anyways. ^^

Reactions:
We're currently investigating this, which unfortunately is all I am able to tell you at this time.

Also, multiple tags doesn't summon me faster. I check unread posts before I notice my notifications, and I read pretty much every thread on here anyways. ^^

Thank you. I didn't mean to pester you, I just wanted to make sure you saw this. ;)

On a side note, I tested this in another city and the same problem happens. The roadside platform for the airport cargo station is completely non-functional. In fact, there was a train headed to the opposite platform, so I deleted the section of track approaching that platform and rerouted it to the roadside platform. Instead of pulling into the roadside platform, the train simply despawned! Trains won't arrive at the roadside platform under any circumstances. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have one in my city, and both sides work. They are connected in such a way that it would be difficult to pick "the wrong platform", as they would have to turn around at another station first. (Different than your situation where they can easily pick one of the other by taking a longer alternate route (that they should not do).)

Upper track from airport cargo train station can only follow yellow tracks to the "Sootville Industrial" station or the "Alderaan Ore Mining" station. Lower track in airport cargo train station (green route) leads into the city. (There is a regular cargo train station directly to the right of the airport one (no rail connection between the two) that connects to an external rail connection outside the city.)
View attachment HiresScreenshot 308.jpg

So they will both work under some circumstances. Why they don't in your case is definitely something for CO to look into.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have one in my city, and both sides work. They are connected in such a way that it would be difficult to pick "the wrong platform", as they would have to turn around at another station first. (Different than your situation where they can easily pick one of the other by taking a longer alternate route (that they should not do).)

Upper track from airport cargo train station can only follow yellow tracks to the "Sootville Industrial" station or the "Alderaan Ore Mining" station. Lower track in airport cargo train station (green route) leads into the city. (There is a regular cargo train station directly to the right of the airport one (no rail connection between the two) that connects to an external rail connection outside the city.)
View attachment 811019

So they will both work under some circumstances. Why they don't in your case is definitely something for CO to look into.

Mind sharing your .crp save file here then? I'll load it up and see if trains route to both platforms when I run it.

Mind sharing your .crp save file here then? I'll load it up and see if trains route to both platforms when I run it.

I don't run any mods (-noWorkshop). Stuff from most if not all DLCs in it.

I think the reason they use both is because they have no choice.

Attachments

• cn lakevalley 130 151kpop.crp
    29,6 MB · Views: 0
I don't run any mods (-noWorkshop). Stuff from most if not all DLCs in it.

I think the reason they use both is because they have no choice.
Nope. The roadside platform on your save file doesn't work for me either. I let the simulation run for a couple of in-game days and trains only travel to and from the non-roadside platform. If I inspect the routing for the track leading to the roadside platform, it shows trucks delivering freight to be used for that track, including freight coming from cargo stands #1-4. The problem is that trains never spawn on the roadside platform, and any cargo planes on the aforementioned stands are stuck there forever. :oops:

Let's tackle it from the other end. Please download my save file in this post and let the game run for one in-game day. See if any trains route to the roadside platform correctly. You can locate the airport cargo station from the pic above.

PS. 25-area mod required, otherwise vanilla.

I loaded it up, the only complaint was something about a custom map theme or something like that (I should have paid more attention before clicking okay).

I don't have the 25 tile mod, but it still allows access to the (18 I think) tiles you have purchased.

I did look at the picture above showing where the Airport Cargo Train Station was, but when I got in game, it still took me a long time to find it. (Sadly, I think I was looking at it when the game first loaded.)

I then unpaused it and started a stopwatch on my phone. I saw a number of trucks going in and out. Then trains on the track furthest from the road. I got a phone call and paused the game without stopping the stopwatch, and noticed a train had spawned on the track closest to the road. Anyway, it took somewhere around 3 minutes of real time for that to happen.

daisy town airport cargo train station.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
Still watching it. Haven't seen any further trains come in on the side by the road. The far side is quite popular/busy though, and I do see trains are taking the long way to get there. I dozed a section of track to keep them from doing it, but thus far no trains coming in on the roadside track.

I watched it for awhile longer, no trains at road side platform. I did see trains taking the long way around to get to the platform on the far side.

daisy town airport cargo train station taking long way to far platform 1.jpg

daisy town airport cargo train station taking long way to far platform 2.jpg

daisy town airport cargo train station taking long way to far platform 3.jpg

After awhile, I messed around with tracks to see if there was some sort of issue there. It didn't fix anything. Something isn't right there.
I never tried deleting the station and placing it again. Not sure if that would do anything.

Unrelated note, your city was struggling to collect dead people (86% traffic, so not that), same problem I was having in my city.

Reactions:
I then unpaused it and started a stopwatch on my phone. I saw a number of trucks going in and out. Then trains on the track furthest from the road. I got a phone call and paused the game without stopping the stopwatch, and noticed a train had spawned on the track closest to the road. Anyway, it took somewhere around 3 minutes of real time for that to happen.

Well, yes. Rarely every once in a while a train will spawn on the roadside platform and head East, but I've never seen one travel West (exports) or had any trains travel to the roadside platform. It's definitely buggy. Thanks for confirming it anyway, I hope the devs patch this.

Are you absolutely sure that trains are using the roadside platform in your city? I don't see how it works in your city and not mine if you load both files.

Unrelated note, your city was struggling to collect dead people (86% traffic, so not that), same problem I was having in my city.

I had the same problem when I first loaded my city in the 1.14 patch. I speculated that the problem was caused by the new CCP vehicles spawning hearses with a lower capacity, leading to a deathcare issue. Building a few more crematoriums and changing the vanilla deathcare services to default hearses solved the problem and I haven't had any issues with it since. I think the reason you're seeing deathcare fail when you load my city is because I also have a couple of Large Advanced Crematoriums and a V-Cemetery-V doing a lot of heavy lifting. If you don't have those workshop assets and the buildings despawned, that would cause a deathcare breakdown. If you're still experiencing the problem in your city, try using the default hearses and maybe add a few more graveyards and crematoriums.

Reactions:
Wow..... As a test, I tried swapping out the airport cargo station with the workshop double track cargo station. The result: TRAINS ONLY PULL INTO THE ROADSIDE PLATFORM! They can't arrive at the non-roadside platform! It's the completely opposite problem with the airport cargo station. One way or another, the game simply refuses to recognize dual cargo platforms. :mad:

Reactions:
Encountered similar issue, reason unknown.

I'm sure the roadside platform is buggy, and I wouldn't be surprised your cargo aircraft confusion is due to your taxiways being an impenetrable jungle. But frankly I'm more alarmed that you're losing two million a week! How do you even do that? :eek: I'd love to take a look at your .crp save file like Fox_NS_CAN's so I can inspect this problem myself.

I'm sure the roadside platform is buggy, and I wouldn't be surprised your cargo aircraft confusion is due to your taxiways being an impenetrable jungle. But frankly I'm more alarmed that you're losing two million a week! How do you even do that? :eek: I'd love to take a look at your .crp save file like Fox_NS_CAN's so I can inspect this problem myself.
Alright, I uploaded my .crp save file there.
Be aware it's a "More vehicles" mod enabled save, might unable to load without "More vehicles" mod.