• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wolfman3000

Recruit
Jul 11, 2020
I would like to know with wich Ways i can train my Soldiers.

Can i train them in single Battle, or do i have to run the Campaign to train them ?

As long as they arent death i can use them every Time. But the most Pilots have only 1 Point in the different skills.
I have the standard Lance within the Career. Do the first Missions pay out ? How much Experience do they get every Fire round ? Or with a kill ?

Hi

Mechwarriors gain XP for completed missions, based on the number of skulls of the mission. For default XP, they gain 1000 XP per skull of the mission, and in the beginning you will most likely play 1-skull missions.

You probably want to start with some easy missions, and quickly level them up in gunnery, so they hit better with weapons. After that, you have to decide how to specialize each Mechwarrior before they reach rank 5 in a stat.

Description of the different abilities can be found here:

I always train my frontline personnel in Tactics and Piloting (to gain sensor lock and sure footing, since these mechs tend to move around more), and my long-range personnel to have Gunnery and Guts (for multi/breaching shot and bulwark, since these mechs tend to be more static).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Over time, also develop some depth in your barracks. Certain missions, like "Defend Base" or "Protect Convoy" allow you to distract the enemy mechs from their objectives by firing on them. I have four Mechwarriors with Multi-Shot specifically for these missions.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would like to know with wich Ways i can train my Soldiers.

Can i train them in single Battle, or do i have to run the Campaign to train them ?

As long as they arent death i can use them every Time. But the most Pilots have only 1 Point in the different skills.
I have the standard Lance within the Career. Do the first Missions pay out ? How much Experience do they get every Fire round ? Or with a kill ?
Yes, training matters. Each pilot in a mission gains experience. check after each mission. about 2/3 of you pilots should use gunnery as their primary skill and the other 1/3 use tactics. All should use guts as their secondary skill as this reduces damage to their mechs......High level gunnery allows you to lob LRMs from long range at high damage. High level tactical allows your lance's scout mech to spot for the LRMs and to control when it moves during a game turn....sometimes first to jump away and spot....sometimes last to jump in and shoot someone in the back. Later in either campaign, you can use your on-board training modules and low level missions to train up even more pilots.

As you level up, at some point your guys will be able to ID the tonnage on sensor blip before getting in visual range. Getting to this point is very valuable in deciphering the opfor composition.

120m Rangefinder is a big boost to sensors as you can spot and shoot an opfor mech before he's even moved (sometimes).120m is even longer eyes than the rifleman buff.

Excellent advice all. Another point to be aware of as your level up your troops. Build teams that work with each others skills and focus on reaching the levels needed for advantages. As Bryartuck mentioned above, Tactics level 7 allows you to spot the tonnage of the enemy mechs as you approach. This is a significant advantage. I have a lance of Green Mechwarriors that I am training to back up my Veterans. Each of them is 7-9 in one skill now an the results are excellent.

Might as well put this here since it seems relevant to the discussion:

Gunnery
1: +2.5% ranged to hit
2: +5% ranged to hit
3: +7.5% ranged to hit
4: +10% ranged to hit
5: +12.5% ranged to hit, Multi-Target skill
6: +15% ranged to hit
7: +17.5% ranged to hit
8: +20% ranged to hit, Breaching Shot skill
9: +22.5% ranged to hit
10: +25% ranged to hit

Piloting
1: +2.5% melee to hit
2: +5% melee to hit
3: +7.5% melee to hit
4: +10% melee to hit, +1 unsteady threshold
5: +12.5% melee to hit, Sure Footing skill
6: +15% melee to hit, +1 hit defense, +3 melee defense
7: +17.5% melee to hit, +20% Sprint Distance
8: +20% melee to hit, Ace Pilot skill
9: +22.5% melee to hit, +2 unsteady threshold
10: +25% melee to hit, +3 hit defense, +6 melee defense

Guts
1: -5% chance to die when incapacitated
2: -10% chance to die
3: -15% chance to die
4: -20% chance to die, Health 4
5: -25% chance to die, -1 recoil penalty, Bulwark skill
6: -30% chance to die, +15 Overheat Threshold
7: -35% chance to die, Health 5
8: -40% chance to die, -2 recoil penalty, Coolant Vent skill
9: -45% chance to die, 30 Overheat Threshold
10: -50% chance to die, Health 6
(base chance to die is 90% by center torso destruction and 140% by head destruction)

Tactics
4: -1 indirect fire penalty, identify type of contact
5: -45m min range, Sensor Lock skill
6: Called Shot Bonus (2.4 multiplier to base chance)
7: -2 indirect fire penalty, identify tonnage of contact
8: -90m min range, Master Tactician skill
9: Called Shot Mastery (3.75 multiplier to base chance)
10: -3 indirect fire penalty

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
FWIW, the Guts L8 gets you maxed on recoil resistance, which makes the ACs and UACs much more stable, especially the UAC5 and UAC10. My main headcapper is a MAD with 2x LPulse++ and UAC5++

I don’t think the UAC20 is useable at all. One shot and your accuracy goes out the window. I don’t need a major weapons system (tonnage, ammo and heat) that I can’t use multiple times in a row.

FWIW, the Guts L8 gets you maxed on recoil resistance, which makes the ACs and UACs much more stable, especially the UAC5 and UAC10. My main headcapper is a MAD with 2x LPulse++ and UAC5++

I don’t think the UAC20 is useable at all. One shot and your accuracy goes out the window. I don’t need a major weapons system (tonnage, ammo and heat) that I can’t use multiple times in a row.
Well, with the UAC10 one shot and your accuracy also goes out of the window. High Guts helps but doesn't negate the recoil, and same as with the UAC20 you really want at least a couple TTS+++.

A TTS will help with UAC recoil. Personally, I just fire the UAC 20 every other turn. It lets me alternate focusing offense and defense. Being able to deal 200 damage in 2 hits is pretty useful. It doesn't fit in every build or strategy, but I enjoy it. I find it works well in a flanker like a Shadow Hawk.

Well, with the UAC10 one shot and your accuracy also goes out of the window. High Guts helps but doesn't negate the recoil, and same as with the UAC20 you really want at least a couple TTS+++.

My primary widowmaker is an ANH with 4x UAC10++ (-2t weight, +20 stab). With a TTS+++ you routinely run 90-95% pre-shot accuracy. With the AC buff on the ANH this means each weapon is 2x 72d for a full alpha hit of 576d. Ruined a lot of opfor mechs with this one. Add in a BSK-M3 with 4x20 LRM with 6d per missile (480 total) you’re looking at over 1000d from half the lance per turn. Others are the BSK-MAZ with 2xUAC10++ and 2xUAC5++ and either a headshot sniper MAD (2x LPulse++, UAC5++) or another ANH as above. 4.5 and 5 skull missions are not so hard now. None of the ballistics has any problem recoil issues, although the MAD does seem to degrade a bit over time.

My primary widowmaker is an ANH with 4x UAC10++ (-2t weight, +20 stab). With a TTS+++ you routinely run 90-95% pre-shot accuracy. With the AC buff on the ANH this means each weapon is 2x 72d for a full alpha hit of 576d. Ruined a lot of opfor mechs with this one. Add in a BSK-M3 with 4x20 LRM with 6d per missile (480 total) you’re looking at over 1000d from half the lance per turn. Others are the BSK-MAZ with 2xUAC10++ and 2xUAC5++ and either a headshot sniper MAD (2x LPulse++, UAC5++) or another ANH as above. 4.5 and 5 skull missions are not so hard now. None of the ballistics has any problem recoil issues, although the MAD does seem to degrade a bit over time.
So when you're saying the UAC20 is not viable because the recoil are you assuming TTS for the UAC10 but not for the UAC20?. Because one more TTS+++ and recoil is completely negated for the UAC20, and I'd use them even if I had no recoil at all, just to counter long range penalty, evasion, elevation and partially blocked LoS. I use them in all end game heavier loadouts, recoil or not.

And the UAC10 is not particularly good in my view, a 5xUAC2 3xERLL has same damage, more range, more armor, more accurate, and runs much cooler. Less stab damage though, although for me that's not important at all, with a setup like this you're not going for knockdowns but for the kill.

A TTS will help with UAC recoil. Personally, I just fire the UAC 20 every other turn. It lets me alternate focusing offense and defense. Being able to deal 200 damage in 2 hits is pretty useful. It doesn't fit in every build or strategy, but I enjoy it. I find it works well in a flanker like a Shadow Hawk.
TTS won't just help but can negate the whole penalty plus other ones (if you add more than one). And isn't it better if you can choose whether you fire two times in a row or run away the second turn?. Because sometimes it's going to be much better a second alpha to finish, and not doing that may result in the foe Sensor Locking or firing. Having a very good chance to finish the second turn is very valuable in my view as a possibility.

TTS won't just help but can negate the whole penalty plus other ones (if you add more than one). And isn't it better if you can choose whether you fire two times in a row or run away the second turn?. Because sometimes it's going to be much better a second alpha to finish, and not doing that may result in the foe Sensor Locking or firing. Having a very good chance to finish the second turn is very valuable in my view as a possibility.
Sure, if you have the TTSs and the tonnage to spare. I rarely have TTS +++ and I often want to spend my tonnage on things like jump jets and heat sinks.

Personally, I like the UAC10++ as a good balance of focused damage with acceptable heat management. Carrying enough ammo for an extended battle is a challenge, but lower tonnage of the weapon is equivalent of 16 rounds (2t) and I haven’t run out yet. Being able to core an Atlas with a PS alpha strike makes high skull missions a lot less tense. Paid attention last night and the 4x UAC10 ANH setup was 95% every turn, regardless of previous usage. Degraded some when the target had high evasion, but was still worth the shot. And keeps the opfor at range, limiting their options for return fire. Not that this is a concern with 1500+ armor. :)

In hot environments, I’m limited to 2 weapons/turn after the first two alphas for neutral heat management. Still almost 300 damage, not shabby, especially if you can use PS. The idea is to mess ‘em up or put ‘em down before they get close enough to hurt you or spot for off radar units.

Sure, if you have the TTSs and the tonnage to spare. I rarely have TTS +++ and I often want to spend my tonnage on things like jump jets and heat sinks.

If we were talking about the TTS++ (three tons) I'd agree they're a hard sell, but the TTS+++ for only one ton?

If you have penalties due to range, evasion or other factors one TTS+++ is equivalent to six Gunnery skill points. It makes the mech more flexible tactically, as now choices that before would have a very low chance of success now you put your trust on them, as you don't need to enter your weapon's optimal range to have a good accuracy.

Personally, I like the UAC10++ as a good balance of focused damage with acceptable heat management. Carrying enough ammo for an extended battle is a challenge, but lower tonnage of the weapon is equivalent of 16 rounds (2t) and I haven’t run out yet. Being able to core an Atlas with a PS alpha strike makes high skull missions a lot less tense. Paid attention last night and the 4x UAC10 ANH setup was 95% every turn, regardless of previous usage. Degraded some when the target had high evasion, but was still worth the shot. And keeps the opfor at range, limiting their options for return fire. Not that this is a concern with 1500+ armor. :)

IMO the UAC10 is the worst of the UACs by a long shot. The UAC20 has lower range but otherwise it's much more powerful for the weight/heat, at least has something going on for it. And then UAC2-5 both are more damage/weight/heat efficient but also have more range and more ammo per ton. In other words, UAC2-5 have efficiency and range on their side, the UAC20 has the dakka (and pretty efficient for CT core too). What the UAC10 has to offer?.

If recoil isn't an issue for the UAC10 also isn't for the UAC20, one is -20% and the other -30% for maxed pilots, while UAC2/5 have zero.

About your 95% chances if you fire from long range with one TTS, for the second shot would be -20% (recoil) + 15% (TTS) - 20% (long range) + 20% (PS bonus). So any evasion will translate directly into an accuracy penalty. Like a heavy/assault sprinting @ three/four pips? -30/40%.

In hot environments, I’m limited to 2 weapons/turn after the first two alphas for neutral heat management. Still almost 300 damage, not shabby, especially if you can use PS. The idea is to mess ‘em up or put ‘em down before they get close enough to hurt you or spot for off radar units.

Ignoring jump heat a UAC2/ERLL based setup can alpha three times in a row @ 570 dmg in Martian, followed by 11 times in a row @ 520 dmg. A UAC5/ERLL can alpha one time @ 590 dmg and then 5 times @ 540 dmg, or eight times @ 540 dmg from the start.