• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SeraphAscending

Lt. General
27 Badges
Jan 14, 2021
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Dungeonland
This suggestion is aimed at the hinted at extension of tradition trees and letting players choose up to seven of them.

The idea being that societies change. And not necessarily from the inside. (Impose Ideology CB exists, after all.)
So you'd be a former pacifist now turned militarist with no societal structure to ever possible make use of that in any efficient manner if you're locked to your previous decisions.

So my suggestion would be that traditions should be re-lockable after unlocking them for the same unity cost you'd pay to unlock a new one. (probably not increasing the cost, though.)
This would allow for you to reshape your society over decades after events force you to reconsider your societal structure.

I don't think this would imbalance the game as only severely unity-focussed empires should be able to swap out traditions in a more timely manner and not need as many decades to restructure their society. (Thus an implicit spiritualist buff for niché situations.)

Once a tradition has been re-locked it should possibly be locked stronger. Meaning either significant cost increase to unlock it again or making it unavailable for 50-100 years.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like the basic idea but I don't want the AI to be able to spin its wheels and spend Unity to just flip-flop between Traditions.

What if getting Impose Ideology automatically wiped out incompatible Traditions? The AI could not screw that up.

I think incompatible traditions should be few and far between, but when you have them and you pick up an opposing ethic (embrace or ideology CB) it should automatically disable it.
This situation however is why I would much prefer having a soft cap to a hard cap, if you wanted different traditions due to a different situation a soft cap would let you get them where your stuck if you have a hard cap.

I like the basic idea but I don't want the AI to be able to spin its wheels and spend Unity to just flip-flop between Traditions.

What if getting Impose Ideology automatically wiped out incompatible Traditions? The AI could not screw that up.
I get that, but this could be solvable by very low weights on such actions - or that the AI only does that once it's capped at the max number of choosable traditions.
That is a very solvable issue.

I think incompatible traditions should be few and far between, but when you have them and you pick up an opposing ethic (embrace or ideology CB) it should automatically disable it.
This situation however is why I would much prefer having a soft cap to a hard cap, if you wanted different traditions due to a different situation a soft cap would let you get them where your stuck if you have a hard cap.
Soft cap in the sense of significantly increased cost growth?

Soft cap in the sense of significantly increased cost growth?
My preference is actually that traditions themselves have a unity upkeep cost indexed to empire sprawl, you wouldn’t get very far with just passive unity, but actively building unity wouldn't have much in terms of limits, but the opportunity cost of Unity buildings vs science.

My preference is actually that traditions themselves have a unity upkeep cost indexed to empire sprawl, you wouldn’t get very far with just passive unity, but actively building unity wouldn't have much in terms of limits, but the opportunity cost of Unity buildings vs science.
I really do like that idea.

But it makes sense that more pops would require more unity to be aligned in traditions.
Probably a mix of upkeep + unlock cost combined with a (slow) increase in costs the more pops you have and the more traditions you already unlocked.

That way unity doesn't become a "solved problem" at some point and it fits thematically.

Reactions: