• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

chegitz guevara

Lord of the Horizons
64 Badges
May 14, 2001
www.absynthe.biz
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
1 Beijing, China 672,000
2 Vijayanagar, India 500,000
3 Cairo, Egypt 400,000
4 Hangzhou, China 250,000
5 Tabriz, Iran 250,000
6 Constantinople (Istanbul), Turkey 200,000
7 Gaur, India 200,000
8 Paris, France 185,000
9 Guangzhou, China 150,000
10 Nanjing, China 147,000

1 Beijing, China 1,100,000
2 London, United Kingdom 861,000
3 Guangzhou, China 800,000
4 Edo (Tokyo), Japan 685,000
5 Constantinople (Istanbul), Turkey 570,000
6 Paris, France 547,000
7 Naples, Italy 430,000
8 Hangzhou, China 387,000
9 Osaka, Japan 383,000
10 Kyoto, Japan 377,000

Most populus with year
Nanking, China 1358 487,000 (1400)
Beijing, China 1425 600,000 (1450); 672,000 (1500)
Constantinople (Istanbul), Turkey 1650 700,000 (1650 & 1700)
Beijing, China 1710 900,000 (1750); 1.1 million (1800)
London, United Kingdom 1825 1.35 million

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa011201d.htm

I found a reference saying that Naples was 150,000 in 1500. And that Tenochtitlan was the same. Still I think several of the conquistadors had been to Naples during the Italian wars, and all those references say Tenochtitlan was bigger.

Most of the information, not all primary sources, that I've run across on Tenochtitlan rank it at about 100,000. However it may be important to point out that Tenochtitlan was actually part of a metropolitan area. It was on an island, and Tlateloco was often considered a seperate city, being the other half of that island, and both were pretty much all urban. I don't know whether the 100,000 claims are including Tlateloco. In addition to this it had causeways(long narrow bridges) which led to other cities that had close political and economic interactions with Tenochtitlan. Other cities bordering on the marsh lake that Tenochtitlan was on, also had close ties and many of them were very big too. Texcoco, one of them, was considered to be about as Tenochtitlan. So if province population count is being considered, Zacatecas would probably be one of the most densely populated ones in the world at about 1500.

BueDigre said:
Bet the spaniards cared little about political borders when mentioning its size. They proberly meant the entire urban area.
That's possible but some were aware of the difference. I've actually read most of the primary sources for the conquest of Mexico. Some chroniclers were aware of this difference, some were not.

Acording to the wikipedia Tenochitlan should have between 200 000 and 300 000 inhabitants in 1519... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenochtitl%E1n

No idea how accurate it is, I was reading this text earlier today actually, trying to get a feel for how big the city was as I am writing a paper related to it...

Last edited:
Seriously though in any case for those larger cities the only way to truly represent them is to give them their own city-state or to use incorperate the mod that removes the population cap into AGCEEP. No matter how you slice it, in the latter era the top cities can't be represented any other way.

This reminds me of long hours playing the Civ games, back in the day.

Jinnai - we'll probably just let it go, as many of those cities will be suffer negative effects they didn't IRL. IIRC I've only seen a couple of Chinese cities top out anyway.

|AXiN| said:
This reminds me of long hours playing the Civ games, back in the day.

Jinnai - we'll probably just let it go, as many of those cities will be suffer negative effects they didn't IRL. IIRC I've only seen a couple of Chinese cities top out anyway.
Well pushing the upper limit isn't all bad. Especially if we want to get closer to proportiante sized cities. We wouldn't nessarily need to make the sky the limit, but i've seen often where the cap was met even by c.1700

There was a hack out a while ago which allowed cities to go over the cap, it was packaged with the AoN. You could look into that, I suppose. Or ask Johan nicely.

It's an easy hack to accomplish. All you have to do is open the .exe file with an editor, search for 999,999 (can't remember the exact hex value) and replace it with a new hex value.

Khephren said:
It's an easy hack to accomplish. All you have to do is open the .exe file with an editor, search for 999,999 (can't remember the exact hex value) and replace it with a new hex value.
Its listed here.

Still it would be nice if Johan could raise this in offical release.

Jinnai said:
I don't think Johan is even responding to emails pertaining to engine modification requests.

Y'all might be well served by having a real hierarchy, so that you have, in essence, one "Ambassador to Johan" who might email him no more than monthly or bimonthly. That he MIGHT have time for.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he just deleted emails from random posters requesting features. Hell, he probably does that with the betas he doesn't know well. He's a REALLY busy guy.... Dude works 25 hours a day. :p :)

Guinnessmonkey said:
Y'all might be well served by having a real hierarchy, so that you have, in essence, one "Ambassador to Johan" who might email him no more than monthly or bimonthly. That he MIGHT have time for.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he just deleted emails from random posters requesting features. Hell, he probably does that with the betas he doesn't know well. He's a REALLY busy guy.... Dude works 25 hours a day. :p :)
That sounds good, but how would he know its just not some random poster wanting a feature and actually a "ambassador" from AGCEEP?

Jinnai said:
That sounds good, but how would he know its just not some random poster wanting a feature and actually a "ambassador" from AGCEEP?

Mods could vouch, I reckon, but it would really only work if, indeed, other folk didn't keep emailing him. :)

Jinnai said:

Just email him. :rofl:

The city-size hack is nice, though it only allows the numbers to progress infinitley, it doesn't change the pop-size modifiers in any way, just fyi.