• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

A Suitable Boy

Captain
18 Badges
Dec 16, 2003
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
I have just bought the game and will now start with the tutorial. However all the texts (top bar, in frames, ouliner, toll tips etc) are very small. Almost too small to read. I cannot find anything in the settings to adjust to make this bigger. Adjusting the resolution only makes everything blurry. I already have several other Paradox games that work fine.
Help please?

Here is a screenshot. It does not look like the other screenshots I have seen...Is it some kind of general graphics problem? All my other games work fine...
1616617149525.png

I cannot find anything in the settings to adjust to make this bigger.
How about Options-Interface-GUI Scaling, does that not work for you in some way?

How about Options-Interface-GUI Scaling, does that not work for you in some way?
All options (in the GUI scaling) above 60% are marked as red, i.e. they scale things beyond the frames (when I try it). Still the interface looks like the screenshot above, i.e. nothing like other screeshots I have seen.
UPDATE: It helps a bit to scale to 70% or 80% but now some things are outside the screen... (as is also noted in the settings menu).
Is it also so that the interface has changed recently (due to a patch)? As it looks different from most of the screen shots I find? If so, I can rule this out as a problem...

Last edited:
I don't play this game so I can't say if the interface changed, I'm sorry.

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/Imperator/pdx_settings.txt.
From your Documents/Paradox/Imperator/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log

My conclusions so far:
1. The overall interface recently changed (patch 2 of 1 Feb 2021) so there is nothing wrong with that (and that is why almost all screenshots I find have a different look, incl. all of the Wiki).
2. I simply need to adjust the GUI scaling to levels that are beyond what is recommended (figures in red) to be able to read the text (e.g. 70 or 80% instead of the default 60). This means some stuff are "outside the screen", but I will have to live with it. Not ideal but workable. Still it would be good if Paradox could do some thing about it for future patches.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why I haven't seen more reports of this - you can't be the only one running at the resolution you are using, whatever that is!

What I don't understand is why I haven't seen more reports of this - you can't be the only one running at the resolution you are using, whatever that is!
I am not en expert in computer graphics so I am guessing here.
I have a gaming computer with Windows 8. The graphics card is not too bad (GEFORCE GTX 750) but the actual screen is quite old (it works fine for all other games incl many from Paradox).
I just started with the default settings from the game (incl. 60% GUI scaling and 1280x1024 resolution). As can be seen at the scereen shot above the standard (small) text is almost impossible to read (e.g. green figures in the top bar, etc). All the GUI scaling levels above 60% are marked in red (i.e. some features end up outside the screen). If I change to 70% it is possible to read but a bit too small, and most things are fitted. At 80% things definitely do not fit inside the screen anymore.
The problem could be my old screen (but it works fine for all other games).
Still I think that it should be possible to scale to higher than 70% for those wanting to have it that way. And that may be a bug to be fixed.

Still I think that it should be possible to scale to higher than 70% for those wanting to have it that way. And that may be a bug to be fixed.
You are very welcome to report that as a bug in the Bug Reports forum!