• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(56271)

Colonel
Apr 25, 2006
I got this game in the six-pack and thought I'd give it a go last night. So I played a couple of quick games last night with one of the easier campaigns and decided it was much too easy.

So today I fired up the hardest campaign of all, and again, it's just pathetically easy to beat, no challenge whatever. Was this game designed with little kids in mind or something?

Anyhow, it's kind of a pity, since the graphics and sounds are quite nice. But it's missing some important features.

By far the most annoying thing is that you don't get a message about which building has finished where - and you can't set the messages to tell you either. This means that every time you hear the "thump" of a finished building you have to trawl around all your provinces trying to figure out which one finished its building. It doesn't take long before this gets very, very tedious.

Another problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to set the difficulty level yourself, you can only select a harder campaign. But as I said, even the hardest campaign is a complete pushover.

You get version 1.01 with the six-pack, does anyone know if there were later versions with improved gameplay?

Crown of the North is still pretty fun IMHO. The two things I think it lacks are music and the ability to divide your army any way you wish (all you can do is split it in half). But it really is a fun game.

crusaderknight said:
Crown of the North is still pretty fun IMHO. The two things I think it lacks are music and the ability to divide your army any way you wish (all you can do is split it in half). But it really is a fun game.

Actually I think there is an AI aggression level you can set. Perhaps if I set this to its maximum it would be a bit more challenging.

But as it is I've found the game to be a doddle. The AI doesn't seem to create armies to defend itself! - they have just a handful of soldiers protecting their provinces. This makes it soooo easy to expand. After a few hours of playing the supposedly "hardest" scenario I was already the biggest faction, and about to take a whole bunch more weakly defended provinces that would make me by far the most powerful.

I think the game could be fun if the AI just built more armies to make a game of it, or if there was some sort of cap on the size of your own armies (like for instance if you had to pay for their upkeep) but as it is there seems to be no limit to the amount of troops you yourself can build, so what is there to stop you completely dominating the game?

BTW as far as splitting an existing army (how do you do that?) I generally don't combine my armies into one big army in the first place, and that's how I avoid the problem of not being able to split them afterwards.

Yes, setting the AI aggression higher will probably do the trick. After all, one would assume that in order for the Ai to be aggressive, it would have to build larger armies.

Oh, and you can split armies by pressing the "S" key (does not need to be <shift> S, just pressing S will work)

I agree

I agree with you screwtype...I also got COTN as part of the six pack and was able to beat it the very first time that I played it. I thought that maybe it was just because I had the difficulty/AI agressiveness too low, but when I turned them both up the game was still woefully easy to beat. I think that this games was designed specifically for newbies, to help them get used to the style of play befor they moved on to other games like EU2, Victoria or Crusader Kings.

screwtype said:
I got this game in the six-pack and thought I'd give it a go last night. So I played a couple of quick games last night with one of the easier campaigns and decided it was much too easy.

So today I fired up the hardest campaign of all, and again, it's just pathetically easy to beat, no challenge whatever. Was this game designed with little kids in mind or something?

Anyhow, it's kind of a pity, since the graphics and sounds are quite nice. But it's missing some important features.

By far the most annoying thing is that you don't get a message about which building has finished where - and you can't set the messages to tell you either. This means that every time you hear the "thump" of a finished building you have to trawl around all your provinces trying to figure out which one finished its building. It doesn't take long before this gets very, very tedious.

Another problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to set the difficulty level yourself, you can only select a harder campaign. But as I said, even the hardest campaign is a complete pushover.

You get version 1.01 with the six-pack, does anyone know if there were later versions with improved gameplay?

Cronax said:
I agree with you screwtype...I also got COTN as part of the six pack and was able to beat it the very first time that I played it. I thought that maybe it was just because I had the difficulty/AI agressiveness too low, but when I turned them both up the game was still woefully easy to beat. I think that this games was designed specifically for newbies, to help them get used to the style of play befor they moved on to other games like EU2, Victoria or Crusader Kings.

well cotn are not the first in line. There have been two others, cotn 1 and 2. so this cotn are cotn 3 if we are specific. ;)
And made at the same time as EU1.

screwtype said:
Was this game designed with little kids in mind or something?
Yes. I believe it was...

Game is relatively easy, but for a small game it offers plenty of amusement for a while.

Krantz said:
well cotn are not the first in line. There have been two others, cotn 1 and 2. so this cotn are cotn 3 if we are specific. ;)
And made at the same time as EU1.

Crown of the North is first of it's series, there are no previous English language titles of the series. But game happens to be translation from Svea Rike III (and naturally there are Svea Rike I and II).

Yeah... just started this last night and yes, it does seem overly easy. I picked the "hardest" faction to play and everyone else just seems to have rolled over dead. There is one faction who's expanding, though. So it may get interesting soon... if I can stay interested long enough to confront them.

I was about to start a new EUIII game, but started this one because I want to wait for my new edition with the expansion packs.

Good thing I only paid a dollar for it on GamersGate or I'd probably be upset. ;)

If you start a new game and select a scenario have you never clicked on "options" at the right side of the screen? There you can adjust both the difficulty of the game and the agressiveness of the AI.

But as it is I've found the game to be a doddle. The AI doesn't seem to create armies to defend itself! - they have just a handful of soldiers protecting their provinces. This makes it soooo easy to expand. After a few hours of playing the supposedly "hardest" scenario I was already the biggest faction, and about to take a whole bunch more weakly defended provinces that would make me by far the most powerful.

I think the game could be fun if the AI just built more armies to make a game of it, or if there was some sort of cap on the size of your own armies (like for instance if you had to pay for their upkeep) but as it is there seems to be no limit to the amount of troops you yourself can build, so what is there to stop you completely dominating the game?

In my current game the AI country Novgorod to my surprise annihilated one of the "main" playable nations, the Duke of Finland (Valdemar?). So the AI - even that of "minor" not playable countries *does* build armies.