• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The example people often quote is that of Admiral Byng, but I think more appropriate in this context would be the fates of Admirals Craddock, Sturdee and Berkeley Milne. The former obeyed orders, offered battle and lost his whole command. The second, having mismanaged reinforcements to Craddock, was given the battlecruisers who beat Von Spee as a sort of 'your mess go clean it'. The last obeyed his orders to decline combat with a superior force (SMS Goeben), was acquitted in court-martial but had his reputation destroyed and lived on in disgrace.

Quite. For various reasons, both those listed in the chapter and also some other things, such as needing to make a name for himself outside his family (we'll get to them), Lord Radcliffe was willing to roll the dice. Had the grand fleet been any further away, I suspect it really would have been a suicide run though.

I do not think the germans would stand and fight the full fleet, even though they'd been winning up to that point, because even if the U boats restocked and came back, the surface fleet was not only outnumbered and outgunned but also had already used up some ammo on the two fleets already engaged.

Various lessons will have been 'learnt' from this whole affair by both sides. Some true (battleships that are pre dreadnought are useful as target sponges but not much else), and some...questionable (the german naval intelligence is good, U boats are everywhere, Radcliffe should continue to push his luck etc.).

Given the insanity of the American press, and the poor awareness of foreign relations of every president up to perhaps Theodore Roosevelt, all I can say is 'I hope so'. The lesson of 1812 is that the US can not project force well but can be an enormous pain in the fundament.

Well the colonial empires have already seen off the amercians more than once, TTL. The British are still going to be cautious though. Having to actually fight in the Pacific and Atlantic at the same time, plus defend the Confederation of Canada...would transform their current strategy of colonial warfare as standard, napoleonic strategy in europe (limited front, do not help France, blockade the continent) and an expensive but maintainable naval blockade into a proper world war for the Empire.

They possibly 'could' do it but it would probably mean losing any foothold in mainland Europe...at which point, some kind of deal would be a lot easier than carrying on alone.

As far as the blockade... I haven't read an in-depth history of it. I do know that the German government had concerns as early as 1915, and that they risked the High Seas Fleet in 1916 and then went to unrestricted submarine warfare - actions you do not take if the pain is bearable or matters are well in hand.

The curious thing is if the germans instituted widespread and competent rationing, and got serious about food production quickly, would it be so bad?

Raw resources would still be an issue, but it seems for the most part the huge issue was indeed food (such that the League of nations established it caused detrimental effects on the children of that period).

As I said prior, the consensus is that the blockade was bad, the question is by how severely and in which areas particularly.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So this engagement seems like half way between Dogger Bank and Jutland in time and scale, and of course based on a different premise with the Dutch involved. The question is will there be a Jutland scale (or even bigger) showdown later in the war?

So this engagement seems like half way between Dogger Bank and Jutland in time and scale, and of course based on a different premise with the Dutch involved. The question is will there be a Jutland scale (or even bigger) showdown later in the war?
Well there has to be really, given that the blockade exists and needs to be broken, or Germany will eventually starve. Only way they're breaking it is by sinking most of the Grand Fleet, and then sinking whatever reinforcements show up from other seas. The naval war is probably going to quieten down for a bit after the next chapter, as everyone tries t learn 'lessons' from what went on, and what worked and what didn't.

That being said, the situation will have changed somewhat so that the British suddenly don't have to hurry in the North Sea, whilst the Germans have ever so slightly more room to manoeuvre, at the cost of more mouths to feed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Prologue VII - The Fighting Jäger
Prologue VII – The Fighting Jäger
15th May 1915

My friend Frederick,

It appears the ‘inevitable and immediate collapse’ of the Netherlands, as so fondly recounted by our periodicals, does not seem so immediate and inevitable to the Dutch solider. However, the other armies are making rapid progress through the east of the country and I highly doubt the capability of Holland to stand by itself for long.

poxu8x3hj

Indeed, High Command surely do not think it a long time in coming either, else they would not have called up several reservist commanders (which it seems I am, how disappointing) to join the big push. Or, in a technical sense I suppose, lead the big push. The generals have all rushed off to the ‘more promising’ (that is to say, more prestigious) eastern push through the flatlands whilst I take what we have in the south and wade through marsh, flooded field and enemy fire.

And yet, it appears we shall hold the day, for we are closer to Amsterdam than they!

pn7b7lomj

It is curious being on the lines again, and mobile at that. Your marksmen chappies have done the school and themselves proud in France but here, on horseback, with freedom to manoeuvre…they are deadly weapons.

I am quite recovered from the bomb blast, not that I was injured beyond my pride in the first place. Nasty buggers threw it through a widow hoping I was there, when in fact I was in the bedroom relaxing for a few moments. I suppose you would say that I should be gratified to be thought of as so famous and important as to be the target of an assassination plot.

pou0yf3pj

As it is, I do not believe the Netherlands should be at war with Germany for much longer, which is an assured delight. Had we not been involved in this sideshow, perhaps France itself might have already fallen last year. Or then again, perhaps the Kaiser knew well enough that the British would force a Dutch participation no matter what?
pmjMhl5lj

I am uncertain.

It is good, as I said, to be at work again, though I am sure I shall be behind a dull desk before all too long.

God bless,

Hans Jorgen, Acting Commander of 3rd Army
20th May 1915

“That intolerable sailor will be the death of me!”
poffBH7oj

Ouster stirred his coffee and said nothing as Hans continued to storm about the hotel suite. Amsterdam, he reflected, was much nicer in autumn.

“There I was, on the cusp of capping off everyone’s hard work, finally smashing through that infernal trench and racing to the Amstel.”

Yes, the city was pleasant enough in springtime, but lacked the vigour and crispness the slow shift towards coldness provided. England was much the same, although there, the summer was the true golden time.

“Well, I hardly need to tell you!”

poZB8qktj

“Quite,” Ouster said, finally. He unfolded and held up the newspaper his friend could barely stand to look at. “’Amsterdam surrenders, the Reich triumphant’, how is this not a feather for you cap?”

“Because they haven’t actually given up, have they,” Hans snarled, tearing the paper away. “That bastard admiral again. What’s the navy’s excuse this time, ‘he had even fewer ships, it was definitely a trap’?”

popw0eaYj

“Honestly, I’m not sure we knew they were coming until they were here, and then they were gone as quickly.” Personally, Ouster could admire the gall of the man to send three fast cruisers under cover of darkness to retrieve as many government officials and royal family members as possible, the night before the country collapsed.

Personally.

Of course, he could not be impressed, for he was too filled with impotent rage and fury.

“We could have at least sent the U-Boats after them,” Hans huffed, flinging himself down into a seat.

“Germany conquers country, drowns fleeing royal children at sea...not sure that would make our position much better.”

“Blowing the military governor up however…”

“Ah, yes…well…there you have the disadvantage of not being a royal.”

“What a damned nuisance. I must make a note to have that rectified at once.”

“Not sure that will entirely come off well in the occupation zone.”

“No zone now, mores the pity. There’s the other thing. I not only fluffed the catch, I’m also out of a job. They’re not going to assign the chap who captured Amsterdam to look after the Netherlands.”

“Hmm…well, I believe there is a cleaning boy position available at the school?”

“Let’s just see if the Kaiser plants some pins on me or orders my execution. Christ…I can’t believe its over.”

“Indeed. Not the sort of thing you expect, is it? To be ordered to invade France, and to find yourself half a year later conquering Holland.”

“And Austria still haven’t murdered Serbia! Bloody embarrassing, all round.”

pn3bBPwtj

Ouster tapped his fingers together. It was true, the war in the Balkans…the war in the east generally, had been little more than a series of calamities occasionally interrupted by disaster. Were it not for the 8th Army’s astonishing victory at Tannenberg, the whole of Eastern Prussia might have been lost. Being frustrated by the French as they desperately clung to their capital was one thing, but being counter-invaded by Russia was just humiliating.

“Cheer up, my friend. You not only commanded an army, but conquered a capital city! I believe that is a first on either side of this war.”

Discounting Warsaw, which everyone of course did.

“I suppose so. At least they can’t really bump me back down. I suspect I shall be shunted off to some useless department for a while until they can safely promote me to Major General.”

“How awful for you.”

Some of us still want to fight on the front line, Ouster.”

pmM9vC3Kj

“From all reports, I can’t imagine why…hell on earth in 1914. Apparently, it has not gotten any better.”

“That is true, from what my reports said about the trenches in Flanders. The spring flooding is messing all the ground up. We may have to end up retreating to somewhere a bit…firmer.”

pnVO4wcGj

“Over the river? Do you know how hard it was to get over the Somme to begin with? At least make the British feel the pain of it too before you let them cross.”

“I don’t think it’ll come to that. That French attack looked far worse than the British offensive did, and they’ve already run out of steam.”

“Pushed us further away from Paris though. The Field Marshal was not best pleased.”

“Well, he can hardly be surprised, at this stage. We are quite clearly in for a long war in France, those British troops aren’t going anywhere.”

“Yes, but the whole strategy was to knock the western front out before it really began! Now we’re facing a stalemate in the west and constant failures in the east. Were it not for General Hindenburg, we’d have lost Eastern Prussia. The Austrians have been pushed out of Galicia!”

poxqSdI6j

“Alright, alright.” Hans lit a cigarette and sat opposite Ouster. “What can we do?”

Ouster tapped the arms of his chair. “Well…the Western Front is now secure. We’ve closed the possibility of a flank developing in the Netherlands, and the French and British offensives aren’t really getting anywhere.”

“Sure.”

“Hindenburg’s eighth army destroyed the Russian army invading East Prussia, and kicked another out of the region. But they’ll be back in time, so he can’t really do anything except prepare defences.”

pm9ik2QVj

“Meanwhile, the Austrians cannot be trusted to contend with Russia on their own. There’s a genuine risk they’ll be fighting not only Serbia but Russia in the Balkans soon. How long before Romania or Bulgaria or Greece takes advantage? Or worse, Italy?”

“Right."

"…so we need a big win. A big push to retake Galicia, probably retake that huge fortress...what was it called, Przemyśl? Anyway, show the world the Austrians can defend their own empire, because we really do need to establish that before the jackals start prowling. And then…I don’t know. We need to do something to take pressure off the Eastern Front for a while. Give the Russians something else to deal with.”

“Sounds great. How do we do that though?”

“Haven’t the foggiest.” Ouster sighed and threw away his stub. “Wait! Hmm…I think I have an idea.”

“Where are you off to?”

“Berlin. Grab your coat. We’re going to have to call in some favours for this one.”
Erich von Falkenhayn peered over his desk at the assembled officers.
pnhx7SQKj

“Gentlemen, this…proposal of yours…would be a risky undertaking. I have not kept secret my desire for a focus on the western front and options for peace with the Russian Empire. My eastern generals tell me such a thing is impossible, and that our attention should turn from a escalating vital theatre in France toward Austrian support and Russian Poland.”

“With respect, sir, the war effort requires Austria Hungary, and that empire may not survive the coming months without our help. I understand, and I agree, that victory is to be found in the West rather than East. That is the aim of our mission.”

“You, eh, will go in with the Austrians?” The Chief of Staff flicked a page and studied the map again.

pndesg09j

“Yes sir. All the way through Galicia, retake the border fortresses, then into what was Poland. Then we will conduct a…shall we say, mission of chaos. Given the positions of the armies are so fluid and constantly shifting, my men and I could do a great deal of damage behind enemy lines sabotaging supply lines, destroying train tracks, bridges, that sort of thing.”

“Yes…you propose a few good men for the task.”

“A few dozen at most. Good horsemen, excellent shots, demolition experts, bushmen, hunters etc. That will be our cover for the Austrians when they ask our purpose.”

“Eh, quite. And your real goal, as I understand it, is to…do right what the British did wrong in Belgium?”

po7USmVWj

“We can and will undertake what I propose, but our other goal is to find, create, connect, organise and arm a Polish resistance force. Harness and stoke the fires of nationalism in the country. Create a supremely hostile environment Russia would be unable to march through, let alone fight in.”

“You believe you can achieve this?” the older man raised his eyebrows dubiously.

“We are the spark, the initiative. As the German army advances in Poland, loudly announcing the Reich’s support for a free and independent country? It shall become a flame. If nothing else, our activities will buy time for our forces to regroup and strengthen to attack Russian Poland, and for Austria to regain its footing and finish the conquest of Serbia. Plus, internationally speaking, the news that the Central Powers have not only defeated the Netherlands, but pushed back the Russian advance and are offering liberty to a formerly conquered people? It will attract fortune seekers from abroad. And we need more allies, especially those who can hurt Russia.”

Falkenhayn raised his head to the other officers. “You all support this proposal? I must say, the Kaiser may well be all for it, but we must have the support of Hindenburg’s lot and the Austrians too if this bears a hope of success. Still,” he looked at the map again, “it would not cost all that much, even should it only lead to Galicia retaken. Yes…alright gentlemen, I shall consider it. Continue to convince who you might, and I shall do the same. Operation…?” he tailed off.

pnZ0oXECj

Hans smirked in his seat. “Old Hindenburg had his Tannenberg. Now, we unleash the Jäger.”

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Polish nationalism is a double-edged sword that may well haunt the Reich in the future.

Reactions:
Polish nationalism is a double-edged sword that may well haunt the Reich in the future.

Oh yes...very much so. There are some interesting figures involved in Polish independence movements in WW1, at least one of which foresaw everyone involved was going to lose, and thus the optimal path was getting central power support until Russia collapsed, and then switching sides to the Entente.

Poland Germany relationships are going to be fascinating going into the 30s.

Meanwhile, more expansion on the Russian front incoming, and a look at the ottoman empire from a few different perspectives. They are not yet in the war. In fact, the war remains somewhat limited to the original Entente and Central powers (UK, their empire, France, their empire, Russia, Germany, Austria Hungary) plus Serbia, Montenegro, and the Netherlands...or rather, just their empire, since the homeland is entirely occupied.

Update later today if I like it. Bit more on the wider war in Austria Hungary, the Eastern front since 1914, and what's going on in Africa.

Reactions:
Ok so blood alone released. The game is not yet played (though several test games have been, and one game played to simulate a few wars that occurred before the game started in 1936, but after 1918.

So...do we get it and use it for the actual AAR game?

I was wondering to what degree you are modding the game to match the starting situation of your world. Are you using a full conversion mod and starting at an earlier starting date? Or are you just changing governments and state ownership in the relevant countries in the basegame start?

I was wondering to what degree you are modding the game to match the starting situation of your world. Are you using a full conversion mod and starting at an earlier starting date? Or are you just changing governments and state ownership in the relevant countries in the basegame start?

Basegame, with switched out governments and state ownership.

All wars that occurred after 1918 were decided based on games running the 36 start, and then I'll fictionalised them to various degrees.

The interesting thing about this AAR is that by the time the game starts in 1936, germany will have either collapsed or survived as a Republic and begun to rebuild. The backstory to the game portion is therefore going to be the main component of the story, which the game will then control for the last bit story arc (I.e. how does this world and especially Germany handle the 30s and 40s?).

The game before blood alone did some 'very' interesting things with the setup given, so it would be a good final third act. A huge climatic struggle for democracy across the world, a tense cold war of building alliances with a random spark in a nowhere place igniting a huge late game war, a cluster of chaotic civil wars all over the place...lots of potential outcomes I've seen.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And then…I don’t know. We need to do something to take pressure off the Eastern Front for a while. Give the Russians something else to deal with.”
My first thought was Lenin, though that would be really early. I don't think Germany's that desperate...yet. Poland seems like a more reasonable goal, though postwar relations once Germany loses will be the issue.
Ok so blood alone released. The game is not yet played (though several test games have been, and one game played to simulate a few wars that occurred before the game started in 1936, but after 1918.

So...do we get it and use it for the actual AAR game?
The only things it adds that would be relevant for this AAR are the new focuses (for potential scenarios for your test games), the ability to give medals to units (if you want to track the history of particular parts of the army for rp purposes), and the new peacedeal system (for potential alt-history scenarios).

So it "could" be useful, but I don't think you need it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My first thought was Lenin, though that would be really early. I don't think Germany's that desperate...yet. Poland seems like a more reasonable goal, though postwar relations once Germany loses will be the issue.

Oh, we shall get to Lenin...

Yeah, Poland is an interesting one because there are multiple factions trying to get a Poland on their terms, and would lead to some interesting post war stuff.

Because of how the war has gone so far, no one on the german side is yet thinking they are doomed if the two front war carries on, but certainly Russia needs to be pushed way back and weakened considerably if they're going to be able to smash into the rest of France and end things there.

I do wonder, not that it will probably happen, but what would the british and Dutch do if Paris falls along with France? What happens to the war in the west?

The only things it adds that would be relevant for this AAR are the new focuses (for potential scenarios for your test games), the ability to give medals to units (if you want to track the history of particular parts of the army for rp purposes), and the new peacedeal system (for potential alt-history scenarios).

Medals could be good for flavour and such. The main reason I'm looking at it is it gives Austria and Italy some actual stuff to do, which could be very interesting given the Germany we'll have.

And of course, the chance that the peace system now means countries might do some actual competent wars of limited means to get something in particular, rather than everyone adopting the germany 1945 total war mentality over every issue.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A Polish adventure sounds interesting, though with Germany and Austria being two out of the three partitioners the Poles will trust them little beyond what they can get in the short term. Still, it might have some tactical benefits for the Germans. The Austrians are unlikely to be very happy with Polish separatism however.

Reactions:
A Polish adventure sounds interesting, though with Germany and Austria being two out of the three partitioners the Poles will trust them little beyond what they can get in the short term. Still, it might have some tactical benefits for the Germans. The Austrians are unlikely to be very happy with Polish separatism however.

Indeed, most poles are on the side of Russia because at least they didn't try to assimilate the same way Germany or Austria did.

However, Austria were the ones funding the guy who will no doubt become head of the Polish resistance, and really, a year in, are a junior partner of this alliance and need us to bail them out. They won't be leading anything outside of the balkans.

Didn't stop the central powers in OTL ether, though hopefully Ouster has a better plan than there's (appealing to nationalism, then creating a hozenhollen puppet kingdom? Idiots).

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Jäger War - The War Opens Up
The Jäger War – The War Opens Up

Extract from ‘The Jäger War – Early Movements and Immediate Impact’ from a collection of essays under the same name, by Roger McManson

In passing parlance, were one to mention the word ‘Jäger’ to the average student, one might find two common responses of recognition: the drink and the military outfit. Both can be noted as being key German exports which have attained cultural significance in other countries, and not necessarily in a good way.

In both cases, this seems to have been a deliberate and desired outcome by its crafters.

Ouster and Jorgen
poO9mWabj

At this stage in his storied career, Frederick von Ouster (as he will be referred to as) was already established as a capable frontline commander and skilful tactician, and had seen action on every front of his country’s war bar one: the East. By 1915, it had become clear to the more sensible members of the German High Command that they had made a great error in their strategic thinking, and would be consequently in a lengthy war against several powerful nations at once, with but one ally, whom had already proven themselves incapable.

However, Germany had also proven itself to be a force to be reckoned with, conquering the entirety of the Netherlands seemingly as a sideshow to holding back the combined might of the United Kingdom and France on one side, and the Russian Empire on the other. It had not escaped the notice of the military that whilst many officers had failed to adapt or died to the new realities of modern war, some nonetheless excelled. Much has been written about the men who would become far more famous later in life, such as Erwin Rommel, and those who were made famous by their contemporary ‘heroics’, such as Manfred von Richtofen, the Red Baron.

Ouster, and his close friend Hans Jorgen, whom had been instrumental in the speedy deliverance of Holland, were merely two of many within their generation of rising stars, with the latter perhaps more well known at the time due to both being in effect the military occupier of the Belgian region for several months, and being the first commander of either side to capture an enemy capital in the war.

By the end of the war however, Ouster would be a well-known name and face throughout the world, and no more so than in the Entente countries. His reputation however was mixed. Throughout that time, he had been called a gallant cavalier, a freedom fighter, the ‘honourable kraut’, the baby eater, a terrorist, and the most dangerous man in Poland. The divide was often, though not always, delineated east to west; the Russians hating him, and the rest grudgingly (or not so grudgingly) respectful. In Poland itself, his relations and those of his men underwent a dramatic reversal of opinion as the war continued.

The Initial Formation

After extended pressure from various sources, including Field Marshal August von Ouster, who was then in charge of much of the war against France, the two young officers were permitted to assemble a team of 40 riders who would aid the planned Austrian advance back into Galicia, and then break out into the wide expanse of Russia to see what they could damage and what they could construct.
poVuo4IQj
po7orWKcj

Having retaken the fortress of Przemyśl in early July 1915, and rescuing much of the over one hundred thousand men being held captive there, the Austrian army continued to push back the Russian forces until, indeed, they had reclaimed Galicia and were now fighting over the border in Russian Poland.

Ouster’s horsemen had already made headlines for their daring raids, scouting and night attacks, both at home in Germany, and in the wider world. This appears to have been both a degree of genuine public interest, and a concerted effort from the German Army Press Office to create as dramatic impression of the new group as possible, a job made far easier by the actions of the Jäger. According to newly discovered documents found in the Ouster family archives, this was rather meticulously planned out by the man long before he ever rode off into the frontier. His band, he writes:

‘…must appear to be all things to all men. To the German people, an expression of heroism, skill, bravery and victory. To the rest of the world, a sign that we Germans can embody those things even in war, and ignite the public imaginations of those nations who might as yet be decided to turn in favour for our cause. And to our enemies, a mixture of the above, and a threat to their own goals. To be a reminder that this Reich shall not and will not be intimidated even by their greater numbers, but shall even on our weakest front, present strength and chivalry, turn their peoples against them, and make them fear to sleep at night.’

pnBE78Uhj

In this, he was successful. The Russian army was duly terrified of these raiders from the west, in addition to being routed by the Austrians, a people that up until recently, they had found great success against. When reports of the German Eighth Army marching east began to spread, and promoted Field Marshal Hindenburg (to overall command of the war in the East), destroyer of two Russian armies, the Russian Empire, which until that point in the war had done remarkably well alone against two great powers, began to panic. It certainly seemed, to the outside world, that the Central Powers would either chase the Russians all the way to Moscow, as they had with the French outside Paris, or crush the Empire flat, as they had with the Netherlands.
pm7KY8pdj

Whilst there were many factors that went into their decision to enter the war, it can certainly be argued that the first charges of the Jäger helped inspire the Ottoman Empire to finally cave to the wheedling of Germany, and launch their own surprise attacks on the Entente. With a new player on the board, and more importantly, one that could threaten both Russian and British Empires, the German High Command were in as good spirits as their opposing numbers were despondent. The Jäger had also entered propaganda on both sides: appearing as intellectual, peace-loving and dashing heroes, and also dark, existential demons out for blood.
pnB1bQj5j
pnyboQuMj
pmPWqceVj

Extract from ‘The Sublime Porte at War: The Last Gasp of the Sick Man of Europe’ by Ewan Feeler

The Ottoman entrance into the war came as a surprise to many who were not particularly paying attention. The Germans had not kept it very well hidden their attempts to induce the empire into their faction, nor was it too difficult to see the many prizes that might be won by potential victory: a return to a better era of power and prestige, the British curtailed in Egypt and the Middle East, the Russians humbled and weakened, and the potential return of much of the Balkans to Ottoman hands.
pnCWaWcGj

It was a timely entrance to the war. The French had gutted their own empire for a desperate defence of the homeland, and by this time, the British had pulled a great deal of their own forces, most importantly the Indian army and the Royal Navy, westwards either towards Europe or East Africa. The Ottoman entry would quickly provoke a response and rebalancing, but for now, the board around them was empty of enemies and they took full advantage.
pmLN4Y1xj

An army was quickly sent to the Caucuses to invade Russia and hopefully catch and expand that empire’s feeling of alarm, begun by the swift reversal in fortunes against Austria Hungary. Armies were also sent to the far east of the empire, where British Persia and Afghanistan lay tantalisingly open for assault. Yet more troops were sent down Arabia to see if they might catch the British off guard at Suez and potentially break into Egypt proper.

And most daringly (and, as it would transpire, successfully), the Ottoman Navy launched an attack on Cyprus that swiftly routed the British presence there and so duly annexed the island back, for the first time since 1878.

pm7Uw3ywj

The Ottoman Empire would never again attain such a swell of internal satisfaction about their military prowess, but it cannot be denied that for a brief moment in time, they had thrown off the leper blanket of sick man and once again ascended to the that most critical step of any great power: attain the fear and respect of your rivals, no matter how minor.

Extract from ‘The Forgotten War: The Brief but Epic Struggle Concerning East Africa’ by Gregory Gonard

The German colonial empire was something of an afterthought, even by its own population. Whilst the Scramble for Africa took place at the instigation of Bismarck, the man himself saw little use in holding colonies on the continent aside from the subtle diplomatic weight of ‘possession’ itself. The colonies further afield in the Pacific were likewise minor and unremarkable, at least to this author’s mind, and to much of the contemporary public. Germany was a Great Power, yes, but of that club that did not truly ‘bother’ with colonies.
pnmexzRzj

This makes what occurred in 1914 and much of 1915 rather more remarkable. A comparable small taskforce comprising units from two colonies separated by the width of a continent nonetheless held significant enemy forces at bay for many months, and performed some astonishing feats of endurance and tactical brilliance, despite in the end being crushed by strategic reality.

Upon the outbreak of war, Heinz Lubeck, the German commander of the South African colony (what is today Namibia), quickly established his position was untenable, being as he was right next to the much larger and more populous British South Africa. However, German East Africa was much more easily defended, had a larger garrison, and crucially, was not liable to being immediately overwhelmed by Entente troops. He thus made a brave decision, and after conducting an adequate but doomed defence of the colonial border, ordered an ambitious, some might say desperate, march across the spine of Africa, to better pastures on the other side of the continent.

This required marching through Portuguese lands, which caused several near-misses and no doubt aided British efforts to drag their oldest ally into the war, and across the Kalahari Desert and salt flats. Just over half the entire force died in the attempt.

pndttzrmp

Meanwhile, the German commander of East Africa, Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, had come to similar conclusions about his chances of victory. However, he also knew that the Entente powers were far, far more attached to their colonies than the Reich was, and he could use this to his advantage. He thus elected for an extended guerrilla war against all comers, aided by several mutinous native populations and tribes looking to settle a score with their colonial masters. When unexpected (and half dead) German reinforcements arrived across the desert, the East Africans rushed to rescue them from the light British response, and retreated to more secluded places to heal up and reorganise. He now had at his command a crack team of German officers, some 6,000 German soldiers and 20,000 Africans. With this, he would pin and essential hold hostage 350,000 British, Indian, Dutch and, eventually, Portuguese troops. When taking into account the support staff, native carriers and assorted others, over a million men were occupied in the fight against Germany in East Africa.

This utter farce of a war, caused no end of headaches for the Entente militaries, and considerable embarrassment for their governments. It also indicated to third parties that the Germans were fully capable of fighting the empires even at immense disadvantages, and the formerly dominant colonial elites suddenly appeared very vulnerable to jealous eyes.

pnYkAt0Jp

The Ottoman entrance into the war no doubt was impacted by calculation from their leaders that the British especially would be so distracted by their existing fronts that further new attacks could not be withstood. They miscalculated, of course, but it serves to indicate the surprise and fear around the globe of how the so-called two greatest powers were singularly failing to protect their own territories, let alone crush a minor taskforce, or prevent their European allies from falling to German invaders.

Even as the Ottomans spectacularly failed to pass over Suez or defeat the Russians in the mountains, their successes in British-backed Persia did indicate that Britannia was certainly struggling, if not in grave danger abroad.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
An interesting look at the wider war with these historical excerpts. I wonder what Germany will do to mess up their pretty advantageous position?
Didn't stop the central powers in OTL ether, though hopefully Ouster has a better plan than there's (appealing to nationalism, then creating a hozenhollen puppet kingdom? Idiots).
Also correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the British do something similar by inciting Arab revolts against Ottoman rule? The only difference being that the UK won the war and was able to contain the Arabs (something Germany, in OTL and this, will be unable to do once they're defeated).

An interesting look at the wider war with these historical excerpts. I wonder what Germany will do to mess up their pretty advantageous position?

Well, the longer the war goes on, the more Germany is going to run out of everything. The western front looks good now but it's even longer than in OTL, and they're fighting three large colonial powers with a combined recruitable population several times larger than Germany's.

In the east, they've only just got the russians out of Germany and Austria Hungary, and they've only destroyed two of their many, many armies. Fortunately for them, on this front they actually have help. Unfortunately, Russia can take the hits...for a few years anyway.

So baacially, they've got a somewhat better than OTL position in the short term, and a terrible, potentially worse than OTL position in the long term.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the British do something similar by inciting Arab revolts against Ottoman rule?

Indeed they did, quite successfully, once Lawrence got going and convinced the british it was worth the money.

The only difference being that the UK won the war and was able to contain the Arabs (something Germany, in OTL and this, will be unable to do once they're defeated).

Indeed they did, and despite having every advantage and expert opinion on what the right thing for both Arabia and the empires would be, they tripped on their dicks and spurted lines all over the map.

This might not have been the worse decision of the 20th century, but it's up there.

It annoys me enough that I might kill whomever was in the foreign office who did that (let's be ironic and have them die in a motor accident) and have the british actually give Arabia to the liberal and non-crazy Shah of Mecca. Or...Well, less crazy and more liberal than the Saudi family, anyway.

This seems a bit more likely because the British foreign office is a bit more...high victorian as @El Pip might say, jolted back to life in 1905 when they and Japan rather violently ended the great game once and for all by stomping on Russia's throat. This was alluded to in Radcliffe's Gambit, and various allusions to British Persia and Afghanistan. The British spent the 1890s and 00s cleaning up the Eastern side of the middle east, so are probably itching to bring the rest in too.

So the Dutch are in the Congo I presume? Since OTL Belgian Congo was impossible without King Leopold II's personal quest for a colony, I'm wondering how the Dutch gained the Congo. Is it just a case of replacing Leopold II with whoever was King of the Netherlands during the Scramble for Africa or is there more to it?

So the Dutch are in the Congo I presume? Since OTL Belgian Congo was impossible without King Leopold II's personal quest for a colony, I'm wondering how the Dutch gained the Congo. Is it just a case of replacing Leopold II with whoever was King of the Netherlands during the Scramble for Africa or is there more to it?

It seems likely that the Dutch monarch of the time would go for it, being as he was disliked by the establishment, bitter over losing Luxembourg and at least to some degree actually insane.

When the Berlin conference occurred, there wouldn't really be any other option aside from giving some or most of it to France, so the same OTL reasoning would lead to the Netherlands (probably from then on) keeping the Congo free state entire, as I doubt the king would be able to keep it from the government once it started making money. And as he died in the 1880s, the new Queen probably wouldn't make much of a fuss over it either, provided she kept a stake in it (depending on how one measures these things, she was one of Europe's first female billionaires).

Given that they had no other stake in Africa, and the other colonial powers knew they were unlikely to be capable of defending their own country, let alone a colony that large, I can see them all going with it. Esepcially if the alternative is France. And despite the wealth of the region, there weren't many others who could afford to keep it whilst also not already huge stakeholders in Africa.

It is also somewhat pleasing to have the Dutch have (to simplify) two massive and resource rich colonies, one in Africa and one in East Asia. Along with owning Belgium, they'd be a very wealthy but still very small global power, incredibly useful to the global economy without being a big threat to the great powers.

A bit of asymmetrical warfare to keep the British and Russians occupied. May as well.
The Ottoman entrance into the war no doubt was impacted by calculation from their leaders that the British especially would be so distracted by their existing fronts that further new attacks could not be withstood. They miscalculated, of course
The Ottomans (the Young Turks, anyway) chose … poorly.