Tomes of Magic - Info Compilation

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am personally of the opposite opinion - giving the players ability to research all the Tomes would eventually lead to homogenization of playstyles, should the game last long enough. If everybody uses every transformation at once, it kinda takes away from the importance of your build, since your build will eventually always be the same. Probably not an issue for most games, since they would end way quicker, yet a concerning problem for games which go on long enough.

Something like a "Mordred Morghul" proposal makes a bit more sense, rather than leaving the potential amount of researched Tomes uncapped.
Oh I didn’t say there would be no limitations or make it easy to stack lots of tomes, I just didn’t want a hard cap of 9, though I didn’t state that clearly. Luckily Jordi already said is not the case. One tier 5 tome I would agree with for sure.

And I’m a fan of repeatable techs, though it would be fun to make them culture specific - and focused on highlighting their strengths.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Even if you turn off the magic victory, the game going so long that everyone is the same should be because you dragged it out on purpose.

There are 54 tomes, assuming each has only three techs(the lowest tech count we've seen), that's still 162 techs, if you wind up grabbing them all, you did it on purpose.

EDIT: if we do the more reasonable assuming five techs per tome(most tomes seem to have to six, some have five, we haven't seen a single four, and only T5 seems to have three), that's 270 techs of varying tiers.
I probably should have phrased it a bit better. What I mean is, if you want to take purely Shadow Tomes for example, once you get 9 Tomes and you have spare research, you kinda have to pick another Tome, even if it does not fit the build you are going for. Something like a Tome cap or just a different way to spend research once you get a T5 Tome would solve this. An example of this would be an option to convert all your research into mana once you get T5 Tome instead of being able to only research new Tomes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I probably should have phrased it a bit better. What I mean is, if you want to take purely Shadow Tomes for example, once you get 9 Tomes and you have spare research, you kinda have to pick another Tome, even if it does not fit the build you are going for. Something like a Tome cap or just a different way to spend research once you get a T5 Tome would solve this. An example of this would be an option to convert all your research into mana once you get T5 Tome instead of being able to only research new Tomes.
So, you want Ice, Necromancy, Morale Manipulation, BUT ONLY IN PURPLE!!!!

There's Morale Manipulation in other tomes, and again, if you get to T5 and further research isn't a victory lap that doesn't matter it's a very weird game.

So, you want Ice, Necromancy, Morale Manipulation, BUT ONLY IN PURPLE!!!!

There's Morale Manipulation in other tomes, and again, if you get to T5 and further research isn't a victory lap that doesn't matter it's a very weird game.
It's just an example. Maybe some folks will really like purple Tomes and wish to use purely them. Giving players more agency is nice. I am sure there will be some builds which would prefer a generic "+10% mana income" to a new Tome.

Regarding the game length - it depends, really. Some folks may play without magic victory. In some games, going for a magic victory quickly might be risky - in FFA, other players might gang up on you once you do so, for example. Jordi himself said that the average amount of Tome you can get during a game is 9 to 11, not just 9.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Seeing how we
It's just an example. Maybe some folks will really like purple Tomes and wish to use purely them. I am sure there will be some builds which would prefer a generic "+10% mana income" to a new Tome.

Regarding the game length - it depends, really. Some folks may play without magic victory. In some games, going for a magic victory quickly might be risky - in FFA, other players might gang up on you once you do so, for example. Jordi himself said that the average amount of Tomes is 9 to 11, not just 9.

I agree with this. It's not that I just want "purple" tomes. But depending on the concept of a character a lot of the tomes might just not make any sense for them to take. Even with the "purple" tomes...what if you want to be a Necromancer but don't want to have anything to do with ice magic? Or be a Snow Queen/Lord of Winter without touching necromancy?
I'm not saying that tomes should be capped for everyone, but maybe rather than automatically picking a new tome, there should be an option to pout those EXP somewhere else.

Though tbf it sounds like games will usually be over before you have to take too many tomes. And of course, even if you researcha spell, unit, building or transformation. You don't have to use it.

It' worth noting in all this, that T5 Tomes are the very top tier spells and abilities meant to close the game (summoning entire armies, battle wide resurrection etc). And iirc these are capped to only one pick. So even if you keep on researching tomes after finishing T5, you kinda already hit a peak and the rest can at most offer you some further tweaks to your build. I wouldn't call those picks build changing or build defining myself.

Tome of the Creator

1682186349607.png

Researchs:
1682186376742.png

1682186386240.png

1682186410046.png

1682195075532.png

1682195094926.png

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
We also have this:
1682195679936.png

And Tome of Inquisition Researchs:
1682195739414.png

1682195759388.png

1682195782265.png

1682195804999.png

1682195819282.png

1682195883821.png

And a few from Tome of Artificing:
1682196095820.png

1682196125237.png

1682196159934.png

1682196306371.png

Reactions:
Covenant of the Faith is interesting that it enhances units from a vassal. I wonder is it possible to clear the ancient wonder (with dragons!), let the vassal to take that province and then get the faithful dragons from the vassal? :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
I love the idea of building up powerful vassals and then not only having them send you these powerful units through the rally, but also generate these powerful units through their attack armies.

• 1Like
Reactions: