- Aug 10, 2009
This is going to be my first AAR so please apologize if things are not too perfect yet...
What are the preferences / settings for this game?
1. We play the 1936 campaign as multiplayer game in AoD 1.04
2. "We" is: my friend General Huzzelman plays United Kingdom and Admiral Solo (me) playing Germany (we threw a coin, I really didn't want to be the bad guy). It is absolutely acceptable (if not necessary) to yell and shout at each other during the hot phases of the game, call it war psychology.
3. We use a modified version of the game that leads to more historical results. The philosophy behind these changes was that if you would just watch the game, things would turn out the way they did in history. It is the human player that has to make the differences. This means for example that Austria will always agree to become part of the Reich in 38 and Japan will always declare war on USA in December 1941. Also USSR is much stronger. This is of course a certain determinism but either party can win the game and that is the important point. This will also guarantee that the game should be well balanced and the war will not be over in 1941. Some leaders have been deleted from the game (because they were stone dead) others were added, several leaders got their skills and traits adjusted. Anyway, I will tell you more when the game proceeds.
4. We use the graphic improvements that were made by the community (SKIF and others), a big thanks to those who threw in all their creativity and time to make this a much better game!
5. It is not allowed to take command of other nations complete forces except for:
- UK: all commonwealth forces (SAF, CAN, NZL, AUS), its puppets (i.e Iraq) and Free France (if exists)
- Germany: its puppets (i.e Slovakia), Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria (the latter two are weaker than they used to be, mostly provide 36" Inf until 1942), Finland only if Moscow and Leningrad are taken.
Also, it is not allowed to bring nations into your alliance before September 1939. The UK player shall not invite USA to join his alliance unless US are at war.
6. No gamey tactics or intended AI exploits
7. I will continue this AAR whenever we have a new game session. It might or might not happen that you will read about the authors defeat...in a multiplayer game anything is possible.
8. As you may or may not have realized, AoD is in some regards not really fine-tuned or well-balanced (some of these problems do not affect us, cause our events are heavily modded). Means, this game is also meant to find out if there are further things to be changed in terms of balancing. We'll see.
To give you one example: many have complained that Russia is easily defeated, way too easy. If Germany would defeat USSR in 41 the game would be pretty boring very soon. This has been changed in our version, USSR is the big bear you don't want to mess with. First, his units have more organization (cause he has the doctrines he is supposed to have, a bug in the original version) and second he does get units with every lend lease delivery. Now that Romanian units are weaker you will not see 41" Romanian infantry beating 36" Russian infantry in the middle of winter 1941/42 any more. Not going to happen.