• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rodrico Stak

Kaiser
44 Badges
Apr 1, 2007
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

This will be my first AAR for EU3. I will be playing as Aztlan (the MMG2 Aztec state), and attempt to survive the Spanish invasion. I won't play ahead of the updates, meaning that all the updates, save the first few, will end where I have played to. The first update is coming soon!

Last edited:
Not that I play EUIII much, but even to my ears this sounds like some form of ritual suicide. :p This will be interesting to follow.

why dont you bring the invasion to them

(lol cause he would die horribly :D )

To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

The Empire of Aztlan: 1453

Written by Xihotil, High Priest of Tenoctitlan:

In the year 1453, an omen appeared in the sky over Tenoctitlan. It was like a flaming ear of corn, and it seemed to bleed fire, drop by drop. We knew not what to make of this signal, and so Emperor Moctezuma I ordered that the histories of the Mexica be recorded by me and my successors, for surely this would mean that great things would soon happen.

The histories of the Aztecs will begin with an overview of the Empire of Atzlan. Our people are subsistence farmers, isolated by the jungles and mountains. To a more advanced nation, we would seem like innocent savages.

EU3_180-1.jpg

Emperor Moctezuma I Ilhuicamina is a ruler skilled in all of his duties, and the philosopher Nezahualcoyatl contributes greatly to our prestige.

EU3_181-1.jpg

The income from our gold and silver mines is used to further research into new forms of government, as Emperor Moctezuma realizes that a tribal system is not the one that will benefit Atzlan the most.

EU3_182-1.jpg

The Aztec army is composed of 1,000 men wielding quauhololli (wooden clubs) and huitzauhqui (clubs with inlaid obsidian blades). This was nowhere near enough men, so Emperor Moctezuma ordered that 2,000 more men be trained and equipped.

EU3_184-1.jpg

Atzlan is a Tribal Empire, with strong ties to elite regiments, religious attendance, and conscription. The social state of Atzlan favors Aristocracy, Decentralization, Tradition, a Moral Economy, Offensive Warfare on Land, large numbers of soldiers, and Serfdom.

EU3_186-1.jpg

The following is a map of the known world, however we know that there must be other places, for Quetzalcoatl will someday return from the west.

EU3_190-1.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going to start out by annexing the maya and zapotec while waiting?

It is a very interesting country choice, I tried it myself just after the 2.0 MM gold version had been released, but was never so lucky that the "Quetzalcoatl " came back, may your luck be better. :)

Why, with a little time to prepare, this might turn out to be a rather interesting ballet when the Spaniards show up.

To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 1

On May 31, 1453, Emperor Moctezuma I married the daughter of King Tizoc I of Chalco, hoping to form an alliance between Chalco and Aztlan, as Chalco is the weakest of the states in Mesoamerica, and therefore the one least useful to conquer. Micochan and Tlaxcala would be much better targets.

EU3_192-1.jpg

One day later, amazing breakthroughs were made in all technologies. (note: this is an unintended side effect of the "Our Society in 1453" event changing my tech group to America - it decreased all tech costs as it has 1.0 research speed modified by my 3 tech modifiers, whereas my old tech group had 0.1 research speed modified by my 3 tech modifiers. I can only assume this is a bug.)

EU3_195-1.jpg

EU3_197-1.jpg

EU3_198-1.jpg

Because of the advances in government technology, the Aztecs embraced the idea of Viceroys, because it would increase their administrative efficiency by 20% (twice that of bureaucracy), to compliment the 15% AE from being a Tribal Empire.

EU3_199-1.jpg

Advances were also made in military technology.

EU3_201-1.jpg

It was brought to Emperor Moctezuma's attention that the province of Mexico was a center of trade. Merchants were immediately dispatched.

EU3_202-1.jpg

On September 25, 1453, Chalco entered into a military alliance with Aztlan. Micochan and Tlaxcala entered into military alliances with each other, creating two major power blocs in Mesoamerica.

EU3_204-1.jpg

Last edited:
To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 2

At the end of January 1454, Emperor Moctezuma was informed that all of the provinces of Aztlan produced either gold or silver. While this is great for income, it is unfortunately very bad for inflation (silver counts as income from gold in MMG2), providing +.11 per year. It was necessary, therefore, to conquer provinces producing other products.

EU3_205-1.jpg

The Aztec army was once again enlarged, and Emperor Moctezuma took personal command of it.

EU3_206-1.jpg

On June 10, Chalco declared war on the Maya. Emperor Moctezuma was only too happy to pledge his support, as it gave an opportunity to take the province of Guatemala.

EU3_207-1.jpg

EU3_208-1.jpg

The first battle with the Maya proved a resounding success, and revealed that the Mayan armies had been so weakened by attrition when marching through Peten to Guatemala that they posed no serious threat.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z157/RodricoStak/EU3_209-1.jpgIMG]

The Aztec army laid siege to Guatemala. The fortress was the weakest the Aztecs had ever seen, as all the forts in Aztlan were either level 2 or 3 (in the case of Mexico province).

[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z157/RodricoStak/EU3_210-1.jpg

After 355 days of the siege, Guatemala surrendered.

EU3_212-1.jpg

Peace was offered to the Mayans, demanding Guatemala and 50 ducats. It was refused, even though the Maya capital, Yucatan, was under siege by Chalco's 4 regiments.

EU3_214-1.jpg

Therefore, the Maya army would have to be destroyed before they would surrender. To this end, a pincer move between the 4 regiments of the Aztec army and a regiment that had recently been trained back in Aztlan was organized to attack the Maya army in Peten.

EU3_215-1.jpg

-------------------------
Please note that updates won't always come this fast, but I'm trying to catch up to where I've played, which is in the mid 1470s.

Last edited:
the mayans shall pay not accepting a 18 peace offer when u had 42% war score :mad:

To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 3

On June 17, 1456, the Maya offered peace, demanding that Guatemala be returned. Emperor Moctezuma laughed and had their emissaries sacrificed to the gods.

EU3_217-1.jpg

On the 28th of July, various members of Moctezuma's court demanded that he give state support to rebels in Chalco. The emperor angrily refused to do so, as that would upset his allies.

EU3_218-2.jpg

As the war dragged on, the Maya were less and less able to support their war effort. They stubbornly refused to accept peace, however.

EU3_219-1.jpg

On August 7, 1456, Emperor Moctezuma I Ilhuicamina succumbed to malaria and died in the jungles of Pipil. His son, Axayacatl I, a superb administrator and leader, succeeded him.

EU3_221-1.jpg

Emperor Axayacatl took personal command of the Aztec Army, and continued to do what his father was doing upon his death - pursuing the Maya army.

EU3_223-1.jpg

Finally, on August 23, 1457, he succeeded in killing every last man of the Mayan army.

EU3_225-1.jpg

The Mayan war capacity was severely diminished, but still they refused to make peace.

EU3_226-1.jpg

The Aztec army was then sent to aid Chalco with the siege of Yucatan.

EU3_228-1.jpg

Last edited:
To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 4

On July 14, 1458, with Aztlan now alone in its war with the Maya (the Mayans paid Chalco 3 ducats to make peace), having 0 manpower and its forces at less than 1/3 of their maximum strength, the unthinkable happened. Micochan and Tlaxcala declared war on Aztlan.

EU3_231-1.jpg

Because he had to face this new, powerful, threat, Emperor Axayacatl reluctantly agreed to return Guatemala to the Mayans in return for peace.

EU3_232-1.jpg

Both Atzlan and Chalco were currently no match for either Tlaxcala or Micochan, much less both at once.

EU3_234-1.jpg

On August 2, 1458, the emperor ordered that none of the regiments in the army were to be reinforced, in order to build up a large pool of recruits which would allow significant numbers of reinforcements each month.

EU3_235-1.jpg

Micochan immediately began laying siege to Aztec cities.

EU3_236-1.jpg

On March 21, 1459, 1,000 volunteers attacked the besieging forces in Guachichil. As only 1,000 men were laying siege to Guachichil anyway, and the Aztec soldiers had superior discipline (due to the Elite Regiments NI), the battle was won without a single Aztec casualty.

EU3_239-1.jpg

In a desperate move to save the capital, the Aztec army was sent to attack the numerically superior Micochanese forces besieging Tenochtitlan. Although the Aztec forces sustained heavy casualties, Tenochtitlan was miraculously saved.

EU3_241-1.jpg

However, Micochan soon returned with a reinforced army and defeated what remained of the Aztec army, which was forced to retreat into Micochanese territory. Only 2800 Aztec warriors remained. In a desperate move, Emperor Axaycatl offered to cede Chalco's province of Tohancapan to Tlaxcala during negotiations with Micochan, but his offer was refused.

EU3_242-1.jpg

On October 4, 1469, 3,000 men sortied from Tenochtitlan, but were defeated by the larger Micochanese force.

EU3_245-1.jpg

Last edited: