• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
~ Grease ~

Smoke filled the small kitchen once again as the popping sound of grease echoed on the stove. “Lunch will be ready in just a few!” Lucy shouted into the living room from the kitchen, smoke crawling out of the doorway.

Charlie and Jonney were siting in their living room, two large easy chairs set near each other, turned in towards the fire place and a small coffe table. Charlie could rember every Christmas sitting down at that table and opening presents, there whole life could be summed up in the pictures on the shelfs and walls, the whole house was a living testimate to their families whole life in North Carolina.

Taking a swig out of a bottle of Coca-Cola Charlie looked over to his father and asked. “Hey pops, how come you never talked about The War of Succession? I mean, people look up to you, I look up to you, you’re a hero in my, and my generations eyes…how come you never talk about it?” he asked, curious to why he didn’t talk about it like the old timers in town who spoke of glorious charges and honor.

*​

Jonney was a bit caught off guard by the question, he was never one to brag or talk about his past experiences, not that he wasn’t a patriot, but he had seen a lot, and there was a lot he didn’t want to rember. “I never talked about it because it was none of anyone else’s damn buisness.” He said, a bit irritated, but seeing how Charlie really wanted to know he swallowed his pride and decided he would learn from someone else later on.

“Ive had some bad experiences during the war son. I lost a lot during the war, my best friend died during the attack on Washington…right beside me.” He said, Charlie could tell from the pain in his voice that this was hard for him.

“Most of the veterines you see bragining about the war didn’t fight, a real veterine would tell you it was tramatic and hard. The battles, were a bloodbath, you couldn’t do anything but hope and pray you that the next volly of bullets, or shells, didn’t hit you.”

Jonney continued to paint out the picture for his son. He told him how every battle was a gamble, if you were in the front ranks you didn’t usualy live long enough to see another.

“There was nothing glorious about the battles, not for a soldier at least, sometimes it was better to be shot and killed rather than being wounded…if you were wounded they would just cut off whatever was shot.” He said, using his right hand to simulate a saw like he was cutting off an arm. “Then infection would set in, and you would die.”

The room got quiet, Charlie looked down and scratched his head. He had asked, and he received. “Lunch is ready.” Lucy said, emerging from the kitchin smiling, oblivious to the conversation that had just went on.

“Wonderful, I’m staving.” Jonney said, returning the smile before getting up and entering the kitchen.

Ah, Charlie's not that bad. He did come home.

Lord Telcius said:
A fitting end.......

But is it an end?

naa, the scenario ends in 1936, right now its 1926, still got a few more years before I move on to HoI2: DD

Lord Telcius said:
Are you going to move on HOI2:DD?

Of cource :D. As soon as I am done with this one I will be moving on to make a complete history of the Confederacy up to the end of WW2 and as far as into the Cold War era.

~ The Garner Plan ~

richmondvirginiaaf7.jpg

President Garner had jumped into the presidency with a head full of ideas and plans for the nation, old “Cactus Jack” they would come to call him, had plans to turn the Confederacy into leading nation in America. This of course would bring it in direct conflict with the United States, but this competition would be on the market and in business, rather than in the military might.

The first step was to turn Richmond into a true capital of a nation. Plans on expanding and building on the city were planned, as well as creating a ‘foreign quarter’ section of the city, dedicated to foreign embassies and affairs, a sector dedicated to diplomacy. Market sectors, agricultural sectors and industrial sectors were also being planed to create a new sprawling metropolis that would be the center of the nations affairs.

The second step was to gain greater control over its sphere of influence. Already the Confederacy had the strongest navy in the Caribbean, but it had no real hold on the affairs of other nations surrounding them. A new “Latin Friendship” policy was being implemented and it aimed gain, at least a degree, of control over it Latin American neighbors through making friends and allies of them.

The third step was to be a model for other countries, which would require a whole new system implementing social and economic reforms. The idea was to attract, one thing the United States never had trouble doing, immigrants. The nations populace was a bit on the smaller side, and with the rapid industrialization of the Confederacy, the country was running out of people to adequately cover both agriculture and industrial fronts.

For the first time a public national summary was released to the nation, some would consider it propaganda (Whigs) while others would consider it a step on the road to having a greater bond of trust with the people.

[imageshack isn't taking my pic, will edit when I get it posted.]

This is a great read. I've read the Turtledove series (except the WWII books), and like the path you've taken just as much, if not more. Keep it up.

Those poor Whigs must be getting tired in the opposition, I keep expecting some democrats to jump off and join them, but it doesn't look like it.

JimboIX said:
Those poor Whigs must be getting tired in the opposition, I keep expecting some democrats to jump off and join them, but it doesn't look like it.

Heard that!

Surely the Whigs would have imploded as a party by now, maybe with the more radical wing abandoning the old style Liberalism for sometihng more -appealing- to the people.

Dearnen said:
This is a great read. I've read the Turtledove series (except the WWII books), and like the path you've taken just as much, if not more. Keep it up.

Why thanks, glad your enjoying it :D

JimboIX said:

The Whigs have been in quite a tough spot, usualy in my games they dominate, so this was actualy a pleasent supprise lol. For awhile there there numbers grew and I though we may have somthing there but they decreased.

Jape said:
Heard that!

Surely the Whigs would have imploded as a party by now, maybe with the more radical wing abandoning the old style Liberalism for sometihng more -appealing- to the people.

For awhile there I noticed the slight increase of Facists in my Mexican population and a slight decrease in my Whigs, but nothing big enough to really mean anything.

~ Harry F. Byrd ~
1926 – 1932

harryfbyrdas3.jpg

“Cactus Jack” would leave the Presidential office with a bang, and not one most would expect. The democratic candidate, Harry Byrd was carrying the day with over half the countries votes behind, promoting him to hold an old fashion Southern Ball at his estate in Virginia for all ‘Old’ families, political supporters and southern Aristocrats.

President Garner was having dinner with soon to be President Byrd when a loan gunman rose out of the crowed and attempted to shoot both Garner and Byrd. Byrd escaped the attack with a wounded shoulder, Garner on the other hand was not so lucky and took three shots in the chest, killing him almost immediately.

The shooter was immediately taken down by Confederate Secret service men, killing him. Further investigation would reveal he was a member of the “New American Party” a fascist group that had recently gained some standing, however small, after “The Great War”.

Harry Byrd was elected president and sworn in from his hospital bed, immediately sending in the Confederate States Secret Service (CSSS) to route out anymore potential assassins and investigate the party for anymore illegal activities.

*​

President Byrd from the “Old Families” of Virginia, dating back to the founding of Richmond and the state itself. Using this power over many of the aristocrats he began persecuting the fascist members of society who attempted to have him killed in what would most likely had been a coup attempt. The CSSS for the first time were being used in major operations to route out the attackers, the first real act of oppression the nation had used since the Jim Crow laws and slavery establishments.

Besides the internal turmoil Byrd used his power to further the social programs started by Garner. Health Care and wages for the workers were raised, which caused a slight increase in tax’s to cover the costs, but nation thrived and so did the people.

Early into his term disaster struck, one which would be known as “The Great Depression”. The economic prosperity the nation had experienced these past years came crashing down, hitting the nation hard as companies crashed, unemployment rates soured and all out depression insured.

greatdepressionzv4.png

Well that's no fun. Soon it will be time for HOI2.

~ Depression ~

The Confederacy was hit hard by the depression, in fact it was the single most devastating to the nation in its history, worse than any war. The poor continued to get poorer as the Rich simply locked up in their mansions and estates, hording supplies to wait it out. The middle class was hit the hardest, people who had made their livings on the stock market and were making a decent living soon found themselves in the gutter with the rest of the lower class society.

1214ep0.jpg

[People forced to live in ‘shanty towns’ learn to put aside differences]​

Out of all of this misery came one bit of good, unity. People were forced to put aside their differences and live with and around those worst off in society, namely the African Americans who in recent years were finally pushing there way to a decent life in the Confederacy when the depression hit and they too found themselves jobless.

Old plantations closed down as there crops lost value, the need for workers of any kind vanished. Large ‘shanty’ towns began to pop up in valleys, outside large cities, anywhere people could try to scratch off a living. Turmoil insured as the state governments didn’t know what to do with it, nor did the national government.

President Byrd did the best he could to push through reforms, cut down on spending on the military and everything else he possibly could to focus on helping his people, who were suffering greatly. Despite his actions the country continued to loose money, reforms costed money and money wasn’t good for much anymore, the situation seemed more hopeless as each passing day went by.

*​

Over in Europe things were just as bad, even worse in some areas. A rejuvenated Ottoman Empire began looking for another way to cover the costs of the depression, their answer was to finally annex what was left the Greece and basically loot the nation of all it was worth. War was shortly declared, Greece called in its allies Yugoslavia for aid, who quickly jumped into the conflict in hopes of gaining its claims in Ottoman controlled Balkan.

The war, which would be known as the first Balkan War, would turn into a meat grinder. The fighting was bloody, even worse on the people than the anyone else as Ottoman troops took what they needed from a town and left the people to there fate. The Ottomans quickly sacked Athens, the Greek capital, but was unable to defeat the dug in troops on the Greek islands. An offensive against the Yugoslavians however was more successfully as they began a drive to conquer all of Yugoslavia.

The Ottomans luck would quickly change for the worse when the Yugoslavian and Greek government went to Italy for aid, pulling them into a full alliance and into the war. The Italians entry would be the deciding force as invasions into Ottoman Lybia and Balkan territories, coupled with the Yugoslavians cut off large numbers of Ottoman troops, surrounding and destroying them.

The war would last for a year, from 1934- 1935 and would result in Italy taking several islands from the Ottomans, the Yugoslavians conquering all there claimed territories, Bulgarian and Albanian independence and the re-emergence of a strong mainland Greece. Ottoman holdings were pushed all the way back to a strip of land near the Aegean Sea and northern Greece.

In Asia the Japanese attack on Korea sparked a war with China and Tibet, coming to the aid of their ally and failing miserably. Superior Japanese military tactics and quality troops soundly defeated the Chinese troops, conquering what is now Korea, Taiwan and Manchukouo. The war would also see the downfall of China as the Communists revolted and the War Lord States took control of large parts of China, effectively ending the old dynasty.

The World had changed rapidly, and for the better? No one can tell yet. The Confederacy, and the world, would be left in a time of depression and darkness, one that effected the whole world and most likely its future…

-------end note--------
Ahh, well all good things must come to an end :(

I was going to post a world map but Imageshack nor Photobucket will upload the image. Well, this is it for the Victoria part of the ~ To Live and Die in Dixie ~ saga, the next part of HoI2: DD will be up here in a bit, hope everyone who enjoyed this will head over and enjoy the next section just as much.

Thank you all for reading and for your wonderful comments and support, I appreciate it.

COngratulations on finishing the Victoria part of this, be sure to link to the Doomsday part as soon as you can. Good luck with it.

thanks all, I just got a game converted over and it work (W00T), now I got to edit some stuff so events and such will fire. Anyone ever used the resource converter? I figure I probably need to use it, but I was just wondering if it would be worth the time to mess with it.