• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Volga said:
Sure, why not? I always like Wilson and he was a good U.S. President, no reason he wouldn't be a good C.S. President. As for Pershing, since he was born in Missouri he will be on the side of the good ol' C.S. of A.

Ehh, I just did'nt care for 'ole Wilson. Anyway, that's a good advantage that you got with Black Jack I would say. Can't wait to see how you fare vs. the Doughboys.

~ Woodrow Wilson and the Coming Storm ~
1913 – 1919

205pxpresidentwoodrowwijk4.jpg

A new flamboyant and energetic President would take the head of the nation after another typical victory over the Whigs. Thomas Woodrow Wilson, a Presbyterian from Virginia, fell right in place as the nations new leader, taking up the unfinished tasks of Tyler and promoting religion and the continuous spread of industry.

The Confederacy Wilson would come into was much different from the Confederacy a few years earlier. The Great Industry Boom saw thousands of whites flock to the factories and the Negro populace working more of the fields. This would begin to create a sort of balance in the country, as both aspects of the economy were being covered, even going as much to see the country finally over take Russia for the 7th place on the world stage and begin its long accent back up as one of the top five world powers.

During his first year as President Wilson sought to limit the big companies influence over the little man, and with the help of his party, began a program for social reforms to help out the individual workers and give them more of an insinuative to work, knowing that they were being protected by the government.

reformssl9.png

Wilson began to improve the nations social reforms, which had been non-existing at the time, while also keeping a close eye a crossed the Atlantic, on Europe. The race for Africa left Great Britain, France, and Germany as the masters of the continent, their colonial empires spreading all the way to Asia, Wilson saw this as a great risk for war.

Wilson’s fears came true the next year when a Serbian insurgent shot, and killed both Arch Duke Ferdinand of Austria and his wife, Sofia. The assassination shocked the world, and an enraged Austria sent the Serbian’s the July ultimatum. Though the demands are not known to the Confederacy, it is known that they were so extreme that the Serbian government rejected it, and on July 28th Austria declared War on the small nation.

Not long after the Imperial Russian government declared its support of the Serbians and claimed it was there duty to defend there ‘little brothers’. Russia quickly began the mobilization of its army and declared war on Austria, which in return activated the defensive pact the Austrian’s had with the Ottoman Empire, bringing them into conflict with the Russians as well.

The next move would be the Germans. The Kaiser sent word to Russia, demanding that they stand down and that this was between the Serbians and the Austrians, a reply never came, giving cause for the Germans to launch a pre-emtive attack on the Russians before they could mobilize.

The attack on Russia promted France to side with the Russians, who had a deffensive pact signed years earlier, brining almost all of mainland Europe into what would be known as “The Great War”.

Meanwhile acrossed the way Britan sat and watched the situation unfold. A month after the war’s start Wilson was approached by the British Embasy in Richmond and asked that if Britan was brought into the war, would the Confederacy support them….

~ Storm Clouds ~

Woodrow Wilson sat outside the White House on a bench in a private garden he and his wife had taken the time to raise up during the past year. Little bits of sunlight gleamed through the trees and flowers, shining down on the golden letter that read “Holy Bible” at Wilsons side. Turning the page of “The Richmond Weekly” his eyes glided over what appeared to be on every page, in big, bold, black letters…War.

The soft sound of footsteps could be heard walking in Wilsons direction as he looked up over his glasses to see two men, dressed in full military uniform approaching him.

“Mr. Tyrel, General Welming.” He said gentely, turning the page of the paper before seting it down and looking up at the two uniformed British men. Harold Tyrel was the head of the British Embasy in Richmond, the 5’5 man was well groomed and tanned, having spent many a years in the Confederacy working for the British Government and was a man Wilson respected. General Albert Welming on the otherhand was a rude, short and pugy man who Wilson thought shouldn’t be in charge of food stand, let alone any number of soldiers.

“President Wilson, How are you on this fine day.” Tyrel said, smothing out his uniform. The wind blowing gentely, creating a quiet, comftorable feel about the garden.

“Yes it is Mr. Tyrel, but why do I have the feeling you’re here to ruin this nice day?” he asked, still siting on the wooden bench, looking up at the two men. “Please, take a seat, I would rather take this siting down, and it would be rude of me to sit while you stand.”

“Woodrow, I have been charged by my government to seek out aid from the Confederacy if we were to be drawn into this war in Europe.”

“I don’t want my nation drawn into any European war, and your government would not have asked you to come here if they didn’t already have plans for joining, you know this better than anyone Tyrel.” He responded, handing the newspaper to the Tyrel.

“The Confederacy is honor bound to aid Britan if she becomes embroiled in this war, its time to repay us for our aid in both your wars with the United States, in which you would have never won without us.” Welming said with a sickening snort.

“I am afraid he is right Woodrow. England expects you to help her in this crisis, it is your duty to do so, and I am sure your people will see eye to eye with us.”

“I will do what is needed, but I expect England to try and keep out of this war, I don’t wan’t our young men dieing in a European war for European Power.” Wilson replied, looking directly in Tyrel’s eyes.

Gentely shaking his head “I wish I could make that promise…”

Will Wilson commit to the war? He is a pacifist, but I think he has to. Oh one thing, you wrote 15th instead of 50th on the anniversary post. Things are certainly moving along.

JimboIX said:
Will Wilson commit to the war? He is a pacifist, but I think he has to. Oh one thing, you wrote 15th instead of 50th on the anniversary post. Things are certainly moving along.

ah, thanks for telling me, changed it.

Lord Telcius said:
Has the USA done anything World War wise yet?

Nope, so far they are just siting there. I am hoping however they will join us in the war. so far things are so so, but you will find out the details in my next update.

Hmmmm.....sounds very intriguing. Also, we haven't heard from Johnny in all these years. I wonder how the now older gentleman will be getting on? ;)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how "The Great War" will be played out. Confederate boys in both British and French trenches, should be an interesting scenario albeit a very bloody one.

Ksim3000 said:
Hmmmm.....sounds very intriguing. Also, we haven't heard from Johnny in all these years. I wonder how the now older gentleman will be getting on? ;)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how "The Great War" will be played out. Confederate boys in both British and French trenches, should be an interesting scenario albeit a very bloody one.

Aww, your right, I forgot all about poor Jonney :(. I'll add him in to an update for sure now.

~ The Castle ~

“To build a castle is simple.. You need high, thick walls that can withstand a frontal assualt, a garrison of soldiers that will fight and die to deffend it, and lastly a flag. Now you take that flag, you tell the soldiers that’s our flag, and no one takes our flag. Gentelmen, France is our castle, and Freedom is our Flag”– Gen. John Pershing​

President Wilson would be almost forced to comply with the British demands. The majority of the people did have strong sympathies for the British. Most of this sympathy went back to the fact that they helped the Confederacy during the past two wars with the United States. Despite the Presidents strong sense of Pacifcism he too felt almost obligated and honor bound to aid the one nation they owed there excistance too.

On Septimber 23rd Wilson came before the Confederate Congress and asked for a decleration of war agenst Germany and the Central Powers. Taking only an hour to conviene on the matter the vote was almost unanmous for war, the Confederacy would answer Britans call for aid.

Almost immediately the order for the construction of a massive transport fleet was ordered, twenty new foatila and the mobilization of the entire Confederate Military. The search for the right man to lead the Confederacies soldiers would be short and realitivly easy as Wilson appointed General John Pershing, hero of the Phillipino war head of the Virginia Military Institute.

Together with the Army of Northern Virginia and its commander General Pershing was shipped off with first wave of soldiers towards the shore’s of France using the nations existing transport fleet. Many would see this as a full commitment to the war, as Pershing was the best and brightest the Confederacy had to offer.

The troops would first arrive a few weeks later and were directly sent to the front. Pershing, seting up his headquarters in Nates, began the to plan out the rest of the war, which would involve fighting on two fronts, the Western and Southern Fronts.

~ The Western Front ~

The Army of Northern Virginia was the first to land in France and the first Confederate force to see combat. Almost immediately after landing the army was sent directly to the front where they fought the Germans in St. Ettine. The battle was quickly resolved with the Confederates victorious. Shortly following came the Army of Central Kentucky and the Army of Alabama, who were to sent to the front but didn’t immedietly see action.

The Germans had, until the Confederate arrival, enjoyed a succesful break through in France, though French military forces were able to channel there advance away from Paris and into a large whole in southern France.

britishnorthernfrontim1.png
[ British Open up a supprise front agenst the Germans in the North ]​

The current plan of action was to contain the German forces to this break through. Attempts to cut them off and surround the forces had resulted in deffeat as they dug in. The machine gun impacments made the area between trench’s a killing field as thousands fell trying to push the invaders back. While this ‘modern’ warfare percisted amoung the French, English and Germans, it was not as popular with Pershing. Pershing took a different approach to dealing with the Germans, one that would take longer but hopefuly save more lives.

As of current the French attacks had been focused on attacking the German front, in hopes of devistating their spearhead units, while Pershing looked to put pressure on the weaker spots in the line. By doing this he hoped to break them in portion of the line and then encricle the rest of the army. In doing this he would sever the main spearhead advance from the supply lines heading back to Germany and starve them out while the French slimed their numbers.

westernfrontplanlr4.png

~ The Eastern Front ~

On Febuary 14th 1915 the Army of Texas landed in Maturah, Egypt to aid the British in fighting the Ottoman invasion of Egypt. The first contact came a few days later with a considerable force of fourty thousand soldiers attacked the dug in Army of Texas and was soundly beaten. The Approach to handling the Ottoman’s was a bit different handeling the Germans, which centered on surrounding and destroying there entrenced units.

The Ottomans were quickly overuning the undermaned British colonies along with the suprisingly large German garrison of their African Territories. The plan of action would be simple, retake and maintain control of the Suez cannal, this would effecitivly cut off the Ottoman soldiers in Egypt from the rest of the empire.

easterntheaterbm9.png

The real tricky part would be supplying enough troops for the operation and reconquring the lost British territory. Pershing’s had big plans and hundreds of thousands of soldiers to use in them, but the one thing he did not have was the support he needed from the other Great Powers, who seemed content to concentrait soley on Europe, and not the vital supplies and people in Africa.

Lord Telcius said:
Death and Decay. This is a very good AAR Volga, vary good up there with The World is Not Enough I would say. Keep up the good work.

:eek: Well that certainly makes me happy your enjoying it and consider my work up there with one of the greats :D

I definately would recommend you as a "WritAAR" of the week my good sir, if I had the ability. Really a fascinating read! Also, I don't know if this works in the 1861 scenario but I do know that WannabeTatar has created a "Great War" mod which is supposedly acts realistic, with the AI using similar tactics to the Great War itself instead of Britain landing on Germany's coast and vice versa.

But still, nice gameplay and AAR! And I wonder if any of Johnny's children are serving or living during this "Great War", if he had any I mean. ;)

Oh, and how are the Austrians and the Ruskies doing? And is Japan involved?

Honeslt,y to even out the odds, I suggest that the US either joins the Germans, or at least does something to turn this less into a cakewalk for you.

Ksim3000 said:
I definately would recommend you as a "WritAAR" of the week my good sir, if I had the ability. Really a fascinating read! Also, I don't know if this works in the 1861 scenario but I do know that WannabeTatar has created a "Great War" mod which is supposedly acts realistic, with the AI using similar tactics to the Great War itself instead of Britain landing on Germany's coast and vice versa.

But still, nice gameplay and AAR! And I wonder if any of Johnny's children are serving or living during this "Great War", if he had any I mean. ;)

Oh, and how are the Austrians and the Ruskies doing? And is Japan involved?

I really appreciate it Ksim, makes me proud of my work and glad you your enjoying it :D - I should have tried that mod earlier to see if it would worked, as for Jonney, I'm writing a little bit up here that will hopefuly satisfy any questions.

As for Russia, there geting pounded. Austria and the Ottomans are tearing into them and destroying there military.

Jape said:
Good plan in France and I'm amazed the Brits got so far in Germany, usually the coast is crawling with troops...

I was supprised to, in other games the invasion's never lated long in Northern Germany. Of cource now the Germans have some 60 + divisons in the little breach in France, don't know how many they have on the Russian Front and probably 20 + in the colonies.

Herbert West said:
Honeslt,y to even out the odds, I suggest that the US either joins the Germans, or at least does something to turn this less into a cakewalk for you.

I really hope the U.S. doesnt join Germany, I would be screwed over since almost my entire military is in Africa and Europe. The War is prettymuch a standstill, almost all of Africa is under German and Ottoman control while Europe is so so, sure we have three fronts, but the Germans are holding there positions and taking ground.

Oh, good then. That encirclement and that british incursion seemed to pretty much determine the conflict early on:S

~ Jonney boy, the pipes are calling ~
April 16th, 1915

cottagemw3.jpg

The pop of grease echoed through the kitchen as the air filled with a light fog of smoke and the smell of bacon, eggs and sausage. “Come on boys! Breakfast is almost ready!” the sweet voice of Lucy Heath could be heard through the small cottage, nestled by a brook in North Carolina.

Jonney sat at the small oakwood table situated in the middle of the kitchen, thumbing through his copy of the Dixie Time. The front page had been dedicated to the “Great War” as it had been called, in fact it was on the front page of every news paper, providing an ever so constant reminder that they were at war.

“Wilson calls for more troops...” he mumbled to himself, reading the headline out loud to himself. Guiding his eye’s down the page while skimming over he stopped and put the paper down. The words mobilization and Army of North Carolina caught his eye, though he dare not say them out loud for fear of upsetting Lucy.

“Anything other than bad news in the paper today Jon?” she asked, siting down a plate of Sausage on the table. Clearing his voice he shook his head. “Nothing, anything that is worth putting in the news is never good news any way honey.” He replied.

“Oh well then… Boys! Breakfast!” she said before raising her voice to call the boys again. The sound of footstep’s could be heard approaching as Jonney, now in his fifty’s, looked over his shoulder to see his two son’s enter the room.

“Hey there pop’s” Ben said, Jonneys oldest son said patting him on the shoulder before taking a seat right beside his old man. Ben was about twenty five years old, 5’4, golden blond hair and the spiting image of his father when he was younger. Looking at him was like looking back in time at himself, young, strong, ambitious…everything Jonney had wanted his son’s to be, but in this day and age what he wanted his boys to be could just get them killed.

“So anything good in the paper?”

“Oh no, nothing good, at least that’s what your father said.” Lucy smiled, walking over to Ben and kissing him on the head before setting down a plate of food before him.

“Hey there ma, pa.” Another voice sounded as Jonneys younger son, Charles, walked into the room. Charles looked more like his mother, or that’s at least what people said. The young man was handsome, smart and just as ambitious as his older brother, but more careless too.

Taking a seat next to his mother, who had just sat down, he poured himself a glass of orange juice and began to, politely, tear into the meal sat before them. “Honey, could you help out around the house for a little while today. I need to cook a meal for the Anderson's.”

“What for? From what I hear Tana is wonderful cook, err, not as good as you of course dear.” He said, stopping to correct himself before he bought himself a weeks stay in the dog house, Lucy was always a bit temperamental, but strangely that was one of the things that attracted him to her in the first place. Of course, his little goof off roused a snicker from his sons who quickly turned back to focus on there breakfast.

“No, their son Cody was killed in France the other day..” The room got quiet, no one like to talk about the war in Europe, to many were dieing, and many began to hit closer and closer to home. “Of course dear, whatever you need.” He replied, taking a bite out of a sausage patty.

The room was quite for a long time, not a word was spoken, only the calmer of forks hitting plates and glass;s hitting the table could be heard, well, aside from the whole chewing aspect of the meal, when finally Ben began to speak. “So...I heared from Bobby Danial's that the President is going to call the Army of North Carolina into combat…said their looking for volunteers too.”

“That’s good for him now isn’t it Ben? too many of our boys are going over their and never coming back, we should just leave European business to Europeans.” Jonney said bitterly.

“Well, I was thinking…”

“We were thinking, Ben,..”

“Right, well, Charles and I were thinking of, volunteering..”

“No” Jonney snapped, dropping his fork down on the plate and looking up at his sons.

“You can’t tell us no, were in our twenties for god sakes..”

“You can’t tell me no boy! I am your father and you will obey me!” Jonney shouted, slamming his fist down on the table.

“Boy’s see reason hear, neither your father or I want to see you killed! Now just calm down, Jon, and we will talk this over.” Lucy tried to intervene, attempting to calm Jonney down.

“I'm sorry mom, but its too late for that, Ben and I knew you would say no…that’s why we already signed up for the Army of North Carolina.”

“We ship out sometime in the next couple of days..” Ben added.

“I can’t believe this, my own boys, my flesh and blood, would go behind my back and do something this…this…foolish!” he shouted, standing up. Jonneys face was burning and turning red from the anger. Most of all he couldn’t believe what was happening, no, worst of all he could believe what was happening, he expected it, they were too much like him.

“You can’t go, I..I forbid it!”

“Lets go Charlie…” Ben said, standing up too and grabbing his things in a pouch he sat outside the door. Both of them expected this reaction, and prepared for it.

“Don’t you dare leave boys, I’ll tear both your hides up, you think because your older you can do your old man and mother wrong like this!?”

“Please boys, be reasonable, think about what your doing!” Lucy cried out to her sons, who turned away. Ben, putting his hand on Charlie’s shoulder and guiding him out the door.

“Get back here! Damn’it! Do you hear me! Get back here now!”

Last edited:
Looks like the second generation is off to war, typical stupid AI, letting the Ottomans run all over Egypt and invading Germany on the north sea.

Hmmmm, good writing and I don't mean to take away from it but I would have had the boys ask him if his parents allowed him to fight in the Civil War. But that's what I would of done. Can't wait until the next update.