• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the South needs to go imperial to maintain its lead, any new targets? It seems to me the Confederacy would be far more interventionist in the Americas, of course, so are all the others. They'll survive the duel..unless gangrene sets in.

JimboIX said:
I think the South needs to go imperial to maintain its lead, any new targets? It seems to me the Confederacy would be far more interventionist in the Americas, of course, so are all the others. They'll survive the duel..unless gangrene sets in.

Your right about that, Cuba and the Phillipines have my eye at the moment, im just waiting for the scripted Spanish - Confederate War event to fire to start that off.

Volga said:
Your right about that, Cuba and the Phillipines have my eye at the moment, im just waiting for the scripted Spanish - Confederate War event to fire to start that off.

I think the Union will have something to say, right?

This is a really well done AAR. Keep up the good work.

Viden said:
I think the Union will have something to say, right?

I would assume they would, but the event that fires it is The Sinking of the CSS Arkansas. Basicly it will progress like the war the U.S. had with spain in RL only substitue the U.S. with the Confederacy..and no Teddy either..

Im trying to improve relations with them, I still have the UK on my side with GoI as well as one from France, so prehapse that will keep them away.

Vincent Julien said:
This is a really well done AAR. Keep up the good work.

Thank you, I'll deffinatly keep it up :D

~ James Longsteet ~
1885 – 1891

jameslongstreetlaterlifiu6.jpg

George Davis would leave office having lead the Confederacy in an age of economic and political prosperity and yet again another grizzled War of Succesion vet would come in comand of the country. The nation would see a short election with precieved results, that being the Democrats dominating the competition, especialy with their veterine canadate, James Longstreet.

With the public and the thousands of men enlisted in the military behind him he took the nations by storm, arriving in Richmond for his inaguration day like a conquring hero. At the age of sixty four he was the oldest President to be elected in Confederate history, and one of the shrewdest diplomat’s as well.

Longstreets approached the problems of the nation like he was approaching a battlefield, handeling them with care, a plan, and unequaled ferocity, his age, though, slew him down. The now sage looking former general would enjoy a leisurly presidency, working hard to maintain the good relations with the European powers, but most notably his devotion to improving relations with the United States.

While the nation boomed on the home front, Longstreet attempted to see it boom in its relations with its big northern sister. Making many trips over the border into Washington he attended diplomatic meetings, public events, and other festivities. Longsteet would be seen siting beside President Grover Cleveland and even stricking up a friendship with President.

U.S. – C.S. relations would see a dramatic improvement during his term, soothing the old hatreds and tensions that lay between the nations. A new age of understanding co-operation began to florish between the sister countires, though it wasn’t an easy thing. Old feuds die hard, and while this one was slowly dieing, the hatreds between old rivals would never be layed completely to rest.

The Great Oil Rush would spring up under his term as well, causing a great interest in new oil companies in Texas as oceans of oil was being discovered under the rough surrface of the state.

~ A day of mourning ~

jacksonzk6.png

On April 4th, 1887 news reached Richmond from Louisville Kentucky that General Thomas Jackson, was dead. At the age of sixty three the famed General sliped away during the night, dieing a peaceful, honorable death in his sleep.

In honor of his memory, President Longsteet ordered the second largest state funural in the nations history, the largest being Robert E. Lee’s (which I forgot to post :wacko: ), in the nations captial of Richmond. Thousand of people flooded the capital city, Congress delcairing the day a day of mourning for their famed general, one of the nations fathers who, without, would probably never excisted. Speech’s from Longsteet and P. T. Bauragaurd were given on the steps of the White House to the sea of mourners, praising Jacksons life as devout man of god ingenuius general.

Jackson was given a tomb at the Virginia Military Institue and a portarait of him was hung over the grave, burried right next to his friend and national co-father, Robert E. Lee.

“The death of Thomas is a great loss to our nation, but a great gain to heaven…” President Longstreet said to the press during the funural. The nation would forever mourn his loss on that day, but celibrate his assured assention into heaven, qutoing him from the day of his duel with John Pope, “

“…if god will’s that I should die, I will, the way I go matter’s not, for my life..and yours…is always, and forever in his hands…” General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson.

jacksonprayerxx5.jpg

[ The Painting Hung over Jackson's Tomb at the Virginia Military Institute ]​

Last edited:
That a Mort Kunstler painting? His are usually good. The Yankees let Jackson and Lee be buried at West Point? I know they wer eboth Alums..but it was still a little surprising, would've expected them to want to be buried in the South, VMI for Jackson maybe? Looks like the edge is being taken off the US-CS divive, which is good.

argh, I though West Point was in Virginia, not New York, Man thats a big mistake huh :wacko:

Im changing both to the Virginia Military Institue, appologies.

~ Yellow…I mean Free, Press has a downside ~

Up until 1891 President Longsteet had a peaceful presidency aside from the death of Thomas Jackson and a sudden surge in unrest in the black populace. A young man, more peculiular, a young educated black man name Booker T. Washington had began a tour of the Confederate States preeching ‘Civil Rights’ to the black populace and causing quite a ruckuse. State troops had been called in several times to ‘quite down’ the unrest he usualy left in his wake.

President Longsteet had to watch this closely as the more unrest he caused the more attention he brought to the Confederacies rather racisit society. Support from the United States caused a strain, once again, in the two nations relationships, especialy with the U.S. government funding his little ventures. Booker T. began a vigerous campain of improving the education of the black populace and fought for more rights for the limited citizen brothren.

Striking up a friendship with former President Judah Benjimin he gained support from a prominent white ‘noblemen’ who set up a system of accomidation, or working with thouse in power to get a degree of true freedom a bit at a time. This process was slow and would soon be interupted by a fateful moment on July 29th, 1891.

csaarkansasev4.png

[ The event is already in game and can happen anywere between 1891 to 98 I believe, so just ignore the said date in the pic for this one, since the event fired in 91.]​

In the early mourning of January 29th, 1891 the hull of the C.S.S. Arkansas would be riped open by a series of explosions in the Cuban harbor of Havana, killing numerous servicemen. News of this quickly reached Richmond and the Confederate Press and turned into a political circus. Official reports said the ship struck a mine, which wouldn’t be uncommon given the constant state of turmoil hanging over the island, but somehow reports to the public got..twisted. Many in Congress and wealthy aristocrates had their eyes on Cuba for the longest times as an addition to the growing nation, and the destruction of the Arkansas provided just the ammo needed to drive the nation into war.

Headlines acrossed the natio read “C.S.S. Arkansas Destroyed by Spain!” and the cry “Remember the Arkansas!” rung in the ears of the nations populace. Soon the Longsteet came under heavy pressure to seek revenge on Spain, which was not needed in the first place.

97yj9.png

The next day on January 30th a state of war was declaired agenst the Spanish. Almost immediately the C.S.S. Atlantic and Carribian Fleets were deployed to blockade Cuba into the Gulf to prevent Spanish reinforcments from arriving from Spain. Then, something unexpected happened, something that would encourage the troops, Longsteet took to thte field.

The first bit of combat happened on March 13th when Admirl Benson and the Atlantic Fleet caught a small transport group protected by a comerce raider. The battle didn’t last long before the group was obliterated and the surviors, what few there were, were picked up and sent to a POW camp in Florida.

98eo7.png
Meanwhile, despite the objections of congress and many others, President James Longstreet took comand of the Army of Northern Virginia and lead the invasion of Cuba, starting on March 25th. The March would continue to go uninterupted aside from the difficult terrain and harsh jungle climate of the island until reaching La Habana where the Spanish garrison was waiting.

99100od1.png

I added a full up-to-date index, which I will also post on the front page, of the AAR so far, hope this will make things easier for any newer people who don't want to sift through all the posts :)

Lord Telcius said:
YAY! Longstreet for King! :) Still, nice to have my nominee Pres. Pretty sad that Jackson died, but we all have to go sonner or later. :(

P.S. The screenie said he died on the battle field, any truth to that?

That messege always pops up because I had him attached to an army.

Tribolute said:
Wouldn't that be most suited if you edited that into your initial post?

Yes it would, I actualy hit enter by mistake and I posted it before I was done, so Im going to delete it and add it to the main page.

Looks like Spain will be fairly trounced, the colonies will be useful in projecting power worldwide, Europe must love having the CSA around as a counterweight to the USA.

~ A misfortunate event ~

May 15th would turn out to be a frighting day for the Confederacy. Just days ago a supprise invasion of the mainland states was launched by Spain, landing two divisions of soldiers in South Carolina un aposed. There exact target was not known, as the attack force didn’t stay put for very long. Scouts from the Army of Central Kentucky reported them heading toward Mobile.

The army under General E.K. Smith immediately sprang into action after leting the fact that an invasion on Confederate soil was possible. Soon a force of over eighty thousand soldiers met the spanish attackers in Macon, Georgia.

101mo8.png

The battle was a massacure for the Spanish, outnumbered and deep into a foreign land they were surrounded and massacured without much trouble. The surviors were immediately deported to a POW camp in Florida, Camp Kimble, which had been the main holding area for spanish prisoners since the war started. The invasion sent a wave of fear through the states, and demanded that security be steped up and the Spanish be subdued as quick as possible.

On June 9th the invasion of Puerto Rico was underway and Longstreet arrived in La Habana without a fight. Curiously the Spanish garrison was no where to be seen, Longsteet, was somewhat disturbed as Cuban insurectionists who provided much the intel claimed not to know either.

Meanwhile on the naval front several occurred. The largest and most decisive battle took place in the Windward Pass where Admirl Wharton with the help of the Atlantic Fleet crushed the Spanish fleet in the Carribian, effectivly ending what would appear all of there operations outside of thouse they already had in place.

navalbattlesyk4.png

The success in the Carribian led to next step, the attack on the Spanish colonies in the Phillipines. The beginning of the operation would be marked with disaster as news reached the country from Cuba that the President was dead.

Official he died on Septimber 16th, 1891 from a mix of old age and disease’s picked up from the jungle, and sudenly the nation was without a leader.

Just started reading, and this is absolutely brilliant!

I think you should take ALL Spain's colonies, and maybe a Spanish mainland province or two for the sake of having a European naval base :D

Lord Telcius said:
Dangit! Poor poor Longstreet, never got to let his wisdom show. :(
Who is his vice president?

He had a good run though, being one of the few War of Succesion generals to make it into the 1890's and become the nations leader for six years, not a bad run at all I don't say.

As for the Vice President, hmmm, I think its time to bring in my favorite of all though, William Jennings Bryan.

Cinéad IV said:
Just started reading, and this is absolutely brilliant!

I think you should take ALL Spain's colonies, and maybe a Spanish mainland province or two for the sake of having a European naval base :D

Wow, that almost brings a tear to my eye :D I do aim to take all of the Spanish Empire, though I think the Pillipines will be a pain in the but after the war.

kingmbutu said:
this is good news. lets hope things stay quiet on the northern front

So do I, I hope with all the money Ive been spending on increasing relations and GoI's from the UK and France will be enough to keep their big blue nose out of Dixies buisness.

Looking good, a shame about Longstreet, first CS president to die in office, whose the VP/New President? Can't believe the Spanish tried to invade- the AI always does silly things like that.

~ William Jennings Bryan ~
1892 – 1898

220pxwilliamjenningsbryum9.jpg

At the time of Longsteets death the nation was in a state of war and election. The whiggs like always were loosing out to the Democratic canadate, who just so happened to be the nations vice president, the young and vibatious William Jennings Bryan.

The young man, thirty five at the time, took the weel of the country without hesitation and without dought that he could, and would, steer the nation through the storm of war and shock. Almost immediately he began taking charge of the war, continuing the invasion of the Phillipines on schedual and immediately dispaching the nations mobilization reserves to deal with any unrest in the country and occupied areas.

Lonstreets body was retrieved immediately from Cuba and a massive state funural was given to the former president. While the people at home mourned the soldiers on the front put to work as the focus shifted to the Pacific theater.

armyoftexassu3.png

Jennings immediately dispatched the all calvary Army of Texas under General F. Lee to the Phillipines in a supprise invasion of there own. The Islands were quickly being taken by storm as the sothern islands fell quickly while the resistance finaly caught up and haulted the advance in the north.

The occupation of the island would eventualy prove to be harder than the attack on the island. Soon after the occupation of the southern islands began spanish loyalists began coming out of the woodworks, attacking the occupants and then after being defeated, retreating back into the dense jungles.

It wasn’t only the maurading Spanish causing trouble for the Confederate forces, disease was also a major problem, claiming the lives of many who never experienced the jungle climate and conditions.

Unlike in the Carribian theater, the conquest of the island would not happen in less than a month with little casualites, it would be quite the opposite. While the element of supprise gained quick victories in the south, the well dug in Spanish in Manilla were able to hold their ground agenst all assaults.

aotbackuppc3.png

An immediate mobilization of the 9th corps was called for to give relief for the Army of Texas who was being bogged down in the Spanish colony. The call was answered without hesitation and fifty thousand volounteers signed up in a matter of two days, ready to be shipped off to combat. The 9th was assigned to attack the northern provience of Luzon and cut off the Spanish deffenders in Manilla.

The landing was made without a problem on March 2nd, 1893 and the whole of the Philipines minus Manilla was firmly under the Confederacies control by April 9th.

Meanwhile on the political front Vice President turned President William Bryan was dominating the Congress, Senete and public. His swift action after Longstreets earned him the respect and support of Congress and his excelent relations with the people earned him a landslide victory over the Whigg’s who were caught up in a rift, recent political scandals were tearing the party appart from within and loss, after loss in the elections were putting the party on the backburners of the political stage.

Jennings began his ‘March acrossed the Confederacy’ campain to raise money and support for the war, visiting every state capital and many small towns acrossed the nation. Campaining for lower tax’s and the rise of the little man over the nation became his war cry, gaining him an unrivaled support of the mass’s and unrivaled resent among the aristocrats.