• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
RossN said:
Very nice AAR. :)

So, what plans for peace? Look to Mexico or the Caribbean? Or something else entirely?

Thanks :) Well, I deffinatly have an eye for Cuba, maby Hawaii to furthur my expansion into the Pacific, though I think I may get involved more with the Latin American states. Anyone have any good suggestions?

LM+ said:
*weeps*

*Snaps out of the spell and realizes he's safe in AAR-land.*

"A lovely AAR."

Thanks for the kind words :) And thanks to everyone who has posted replies, its always encouraging to know that people are enjoying my work :D

You've reached the first marker, something few CSA AARs have done!

they should've conducted those negotiations in French as any proper 19th centruy diplomats would. In any event, good writing and good to see the CSA stand up a bit.

A very fun reading and enjoyable post you wrote there my good sir! And I would like to comment that Missouri could indeed become a possible future point of conflict between the Union and the Confederacy in the future.....

Well, I'd go for Cuba myself (like in Turtledove's books) and establish a puppet government or take it fully from Spain, it's your choice. Hawaii, too, would indeed be a nice addition to the Confederacy.....

In a possible future conflict with the Union, securing up to San Francisco may be a good idea and Los Angeles.....just to even the border out but not too much. :D

Last but not least, a small conflict with Mexico would be ideal....secure that little Mexican leg to the West. ;)

~ Let freedom ring from the deserts of Sonora to streets of Richmond ~
Richmond, Virginia
January 16th, 1863

The streets of Richmond were lined with thousands of cheering people, small flags of the stars and bars flew on tiny sticks attached to every lamp post, graffiti and flowers were thrown onto the soldiers as the Army of Northern Virginia entered Richmond like a conquering Roman Legion returning from battle. Jonney marched proudly among the men, waving to the crowed, particularly the women.

“Can’t believe it’s over Jonney!” Roy said, marching beside him. He couldn’t get enough of the attention, waving, shouting at the people who cheered them on like hero’s, heck, in the countries eyes, they were hero’s.

“I can’t believe it either Roy!” he shouted over noise of cheering. “Say Jonney! What are you doing after all this? My cousin Ricky down in Alabama has ship, The Virginius, says he can make a killing running goods to Mexico, Brazil, the Dominican Republic…Cuba...”

“I don’t know about that Roy, I mean, all I have ever known is farming and…”

“Well there you go! It will be an adventure, the open sea, exotic places, a whole new world!” he continued, trying to make it sound as enticing as possible, and it was. Jonney thought about as they marched, he had never really enjoyed working on the farm, his father had always had use for him and encouraged him to stay the course of tradition, but there was so much more the world had to offer than tobacco and cotton.

“You know what Roy, Im in!” he said finally, Roy turned to look at him with a great big smile on his face. “Then onward we go friend! Onward we go!”

*​

A large podium stood tall on a large stage in front of the Virginia State House, which also served as the Presidents Mansion, in Richmond Virginia. Gathered around were thousands of people from all over the nation, even some of the ‘nobles’ from the new states of Sonora and Chichuala. Many seats were reserved in the front for Congress and the Senate, the richer folk and honored Generals had seats behind them and those of the middle and poorer classes stood in the streets and the grassy area around it along with the soldiers.

Standing just as tall was President Davis; walking up to the podium he cleared his voice, glancing down at some note cards before speaking. A great hush came over the crowed as all eyes fell on their leader.

“It makes me proud to stand here before you all today, you who have sacrificed so much to make the dream of freedom and justice come true. You are the hero’s who won us the war, and great men such as general “Bobby” Lee and “Stonewall” Jackson lead the way to making this all possible, who without none of this would have been possible. Let this be a lesson to all, oppressed people around the world, that faith in their righteous goals and god will pave the way to success. We paid a heavy price in our fight for Independence, paid in the blood of our finest and bravest young men, but there sacrifice bought us that, and so much more, not only our freedom, but a safe place in which to bring up our children, and their children, and so on and so forth. As long as I breath, as long as there is breath in a single Confederate citizen, no one will take from us what we have fought and died for!”

The speech roused more cheers from the crowed, chanting his name and raising praise on the nation and its founding fathers. Smiling he shouted “God bless the Confederacy!”

Just a small block of text for this update for now, gonna think of some more ideas for now because the next few years are dull so I think ill have to switch gears, but everyone remember the Virginus, it will become very important later on.

Last edited:
It'd be interesting to read about Johnny exploring the rest of the world and also, you could write about the Confederate elections, the gradual industrilisation of the South, growing cities, what happens to the Negroes in the Confederacy, etc.

Should be interesting to read about and like others have said, one of the best Confederate AAR's we've seen around for a while!

I remember back on the Victoria forums four years ago or so when people were complaining about there being so many Confederate AAR's.

Nowadays, they are slim so good to see one up in motion! :D

So…that’s it? :(

Fulcrumvale said:
So…that’s it? :(

For the War of Succession it its, it wasn't as exciting as most of my other ones. Nothing else happens until 1868, but I'll be posting more about post-War of Succession CSA and more on Jonney.

a. Hurrah!
b. Congratulations on the survival.
c. Here's hoping you can see it through to completion - it's too rare CSAARs do.
d. How will you be preparing to face the Yanks for round two? Go after Spain & Cuba? or will we be following Johnny through his stint in the factories?

EDIT: Just saw you were taking requests & suggestions. You're never going to get much in the way of immigrants (please tell me you won't game this & emancipate the slaves your virtual citizenry just died to continue oppressing), so you'll need to expand into populous or prosperous states. Traditionally, the Southern states had their eyes on Cuba & Mexico, which was largely predicated on keeping even in Congress with the Yanks - but would've probably been strengthened by the already extant peaceful addition of Mexican, Spanish-speaking states. You'd face an outflow of the white laborers & poor to the North that might necessitate reopening the Slave Trade, but that might involve a, opposing the British Navy which just would not have turned out well and b, depressing the price of slaves on the local market, which would face strong opposition. Either way (& especially if you're going the emancipation route*), the CSA would've been heavily involved in the Slave Coast of Africa. Not sure what events already represent this in the mod you're using though & differ to the professional historians in these forums. . .

*They never planned on blacks becoming American citizens, but instead repatriating them to Liberia or another colony.

Last edited:
Llywelyn said:
a. Hurrah!
b. Congratulations on the survival.
c. Here's hoping you can see it through to completion - it's too rare CSAARs do.
d. How will you be preparing to face the Yanks for round two? Go after Spain & Cuba? or will we be following Johnny through his stint in the factories?

EDIT: Just saw you were taking requests & suggestions. You're never going to get much in the way of immigrants (please tell me you won't game this & emancipate the slaves your virtual citizenry just died to continue oppressing), so you'll need to expand into populous or prosperous states. Traditionally, the Southern states had their eyes on Cuba & Mexico, which was largely predicated on keeping even in Congress with the Yanks - but would've probably been strengthened by the already extant peaceful addition of Mexican, Spanish-speaking states. You'd face an outflow of the white laborers & poor to the North that might necessitate reopening the Slave Trade, but that might involve a, opposing the British Navy which just would not have turned out well and b, depressing the price of slaves on the local market, which would face strong opposition. Either way (& especially if you're going the emancipation route*), the CSA would've been heavily involved in the Slave Coast of Africa. Not sure what events already represent this in the mod you're using though & differ to the professional historians in these forums. . .

*They never planned on blacks becoming American citizens, but instead repatriating them to Liberia or another colony.

a. :p

b. Thanks!

c. I plan to follow this through the end and on into Doomsday, hope I won't let you down

d. Well, if they do decide to get foggy I plan on pouring allot of money into the "Stonewall" Line, which will be a series of fortifications running along the U.S. C.S. border, and unlike the French I won't leave any holes. On top of that I am going to increase my mobilization pool as much as possible, keeping my already built armies in certain spots where fighting will be the hardest and two or so divisions in every province bordering the U.S. using my mobilization pool. But that’s IF they attack. Im also building up relations with the Brits and French as well for some possible European backing if needed.

As for Spain and Cuba, those are definite targets, once way or another I WILL have Cuba, be it diplomacy or war. I also plan to follow Jonneys life, while the CSA starts to industrialize and prepare to become a more modern nation Jonney will be setting sail on The Virginius, this ship will become very important later on involving Spain and Cuba later on

Now for the slaves, there is an event modded into the game at a certain point where I can choose to emancipate the slaves or not, but its a good ways down the road and at some point I plan on emancipating them. The event doesn’t give them citizenship any who, it frees them, but they have nearly none of the same rights, if any, as the whites and slavery is replaced by sharecropping, but I will address that when the time comes. Now I don't intend on ever trying to compete navaly with the Brits, I personally like living, but build up a relationship with them since they moderated the peace talks between the C.S. and U.S. Im not sure how exactly I am going to address all of these things just yet, but I appreciate the suggestions and advice.

edit: Oh, and about Mexico, not wanting to step on the Unions toes right now I think I will leave them alone since the U.S. and Mexico are in an alliance due to the European Intervention events.

Last edited:
In one of the instances where I survived the first war, I tried a similar strategy, it helped, but the cost crippled my economy. Hopefully you have better luck. Go dixie, congratulations on the victory, well-earned.

JimboIX said:
In one of the instances where I survived the first war, I tried a similar strategy, it helped, but the cost crippled my economy. Hopefully you have better luck. Go dixie, congratulations on the victory, well-earned.

Its going so so as long as I keep pacing myself. Then again it could all be for nothing, CSABadass fixed the 'every ten years' war that breaks out between the CSA and USA in the mod, so another war is not gauranteed. Thanks for the congrats :)

Great work! Send me your picture, and I will make your altar and pray to you every day :).

I might break one day and try this mod to prevent USA from declaring war every 10 years, but not for now. I want to live through the hell Paradox prepared for me.

~ The Day After Tomorrow ~

The Confederate States of America officially won their independence on January 10th, 1863. The war had cost the lives of thousands of the Confederacies men, the actual number is not known but historians guess that the war cost the Confederacy 100, 000 plus men and the Union 200, 000 plus men. Besides the great loss of life the Confederacy had another major hurdle to pass, the need to industrialize.

The main source of income in the South was agriculture, producing tones of cotton and tobacco each day, but in order for Dixie to survive in a rapidly growing world under industry they would have to force industrialization upon the nation. Arguments were made in Congress and the Senate and after long debates there was no decisive action, tax’s were high to cover the costs of the nation and the Confederacies free trade policies did not allow the President or Congress for that matter to issue government funded factories, so a compromise would have to be made.

finanaceszi7.png

In order to encourage the few capitalists in the Confederacy taxes were lowered and cuts were introduced to defense spending, education and crime fighting. The cuts were soon to take effect as glass factories were beginning to spring up in Missouri. Funding was also put into increasing coal, iron and steel mining, these essential to funding future military expeditions of the Confederacy. Three months after the Confederate victory Congress adopted the new “Blood Dripped” banner as the Confederacies new national flag, the second flag had been briefly put into play but looked a bit too much like a surrender flag, discarding it for the new look (below)

upsongdsuu2.jpg

Over the next few years President Davis had a daunting task to accomplish. The unwillingness of his people to put aside their old, traditional ways made it complicated to further the advancement of the nation. Slowly, through careful political maneuvering and factory promotion they began to spring up by daring capitalists, supported by the government of course, in the most northern states such as Missouri, Kentucky and the Western part of Virginia, but they were far to few to have a great impact, yet, it was a start.

The railroad business on the other hand became a major investment by capitalists. Almost all at once the rapid production railroads across the core Southern states sprung up, the idea of linking the East and Western coasts of the C.S.A. became popular and profitable, for the first time in the Confederacies history the entire nation would become linked as one, instead of having to travel a crossed state borders to get to a major train station one could catch a train in Sonora and take it all the way a crossed the nation to Richmond if desired. This of course helped the production of goods and transfer of products from the mines and the fields to the factories and ships going to Europe and the rest of the world.

The railroads were largely being built in the major southern states, Virginia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Kentucky, Louisiana and Missouri. Florida Texas, Oklahoma, Sonora, Chichuala and the territories were left out for the most part because they had so little to offer, but a sudden serge of interest came when gold was found in Sonora and it suddenly became a worth while venture to connect the gold rich state with the rest of the Confederacy.

~ Look to the sea my dear boy, Latin America Awaits! ~
July 16th, 1863
Mobile, Alabama

The cool sea air hit Jonneys face as he walked towards the ship, the smell of the ocean air filled his nose, a strange smell, he thought, of course this would be the first time in a long time since he had been to the ocean. The dock was filled with fishing vessels, big and small, C.S.S. Mississippi sat looming over the docks, one of the few Iron Clads the Confederacy had in its possession. Tossing his bag over his shoulder he tried to navigate the docks to find his way to The Virginus. “Jonney! Over here Jonney!” he heard a voice shout.

“Roy? Is that you?” Jonney replied, spotting him a crossed the way by a shabby looking ship. Roy, dressed head to toe in a peculiar sailors outfit that made him look, at best, queersom. “Roy, you got to loose that out fit friend.” Jonney said, laughing at his friend, patting him on the shoulder.

“What? What’s wrong with my outfit?” he asked. Jonney just shook his head and chuckled.

“Never mind that, show me this ship of yours.” the two walked towards the ship, revealing its old rusted outer shell. While still quite large, the ship looked like it had been salvaged from the bottom of the gulf.

“Ain’t she a beaut? Anther voice called as a tall, ruff looking man with a short beard said, running his hand down the rail before stepping onto the ramp and approaching the men.

“Jonney, I want you to meet my cousin Ricky.” Roy said, introducing the man.

“Pleased to meet you sir, so this is your…fine vessel.” Jonney replied, shaking hands with Ricky.

“Aye she is. So Roy tells me your looking for an adventure on the high seas. Well this is the place for it, we’re traveling all over Latin America running food and medical supplies to those in need, running out of Mobile.” He outlined their mission and pointed out of course, that they will make a killing doing so.

“Well you can count me on board fellow’s, as much as I love the states, I would love to see the world more.” He commented, looking out to the ocean.

A smile came to Rick’s face, exposing his teeth. “Well then lets get to shoving off, our first stop is to Cuba, it will give you plenty of time to meet the crew and get accustomed to the sea.”

The group turned and walked up on the ramp and onto the boat, the ship slowly began to pull out of port, headed east towards the little piece of Spain left in America, Cuba.

Last edited:
Well, it is indeed good news about the industrilisation and rail roads popping about throughout the Confederacy. On the original, it is more of an expense. Glad Capitalists do it for you instead. ;)

Anyway, I'd like to see you carry it on into Doomsday. If can create any events or if hopefully Germany and other states are created and somehow, "The Great War" takes place, it'd be interesting to see how the Confederacy does in your version. ;)

Ksim3000 said:
Well, it is indeed good news about the industrilisation and rail roads popping about throughout the Confederacy. On the original, it is more of an expense. Glad Capitalists do it for you instead. ;)

Anyway, I'd like to see you carry it on into Doomsday. If can create any events or if hopefully Germany and other states are created and somehow, "The Great War" takes place, it'd be interesting to see how the Confederacy does in your version. ;)

Heh, CSABadass took care of that too already and put in events that, given history doesnt go too off rails too bad, should triggure a great war, may not mirror the actual one, but somthing should happen resembling it :p

~ The Next Five Years ~

thestonewallwallha2.png
[The “Stonewall” Line]​

While the war had been won, there was always the threat of the Union trying to retake what was lost in the first wall. While the Confederate economy continued to boom and expand cuts were being made on the military, but slowly expanding at the same time. Congress, ever aware of the possible Union threat, continually passed acts allowing the president to raise the countries mobilization pool in case of an emergency.

Slowly the hard work was turning a profit. Soon President Davis addressed Congress on the matter of safe guarding the Confederacy from future attack.

“Fine members of Congress. It has come to my attention, by private means, that there are many in Washington who consider our government an insurgency and that the our nation is still apart of there’s. While that illusion is obvious to us, it is not to them and the ever-present threat of the Union juggernaught looms over our heads always. There fore I would like to propose a bill ordering the construction of a large series of military fortifications running the length of the border between our two nations. This costly experiment will, god willing, discourage any present or future plans for an attack on our great nation.” – Exert from Jefferson’s proposal for the Stonewall Line.

Congress soon passed the bill but Jefferson would never see the lines completion while in office. In 1865 Davis’ time in office was almost over and a year of campaigning began, Davis, having no chance for re-election as deemed by the Confederate Constitution, looked for a canadate for the Democratic party who would carry on his last orders.

The Democratic party elected war hero ex-civil war commander John Cambell Breckinridge, former commander of the Kentucky Orphan Brigade, to run for office while the Whig’s chose James Alexander Sedon to Run on their ticket. From the beginning Breckinridge had the advantage, his victories in Kentucky helped gain him support from the militant populous and his humble origins and determination almost insured him the vote of the lower tier of the populace.

Sedon on the other hand was more experience in politics, having studied in law and politics. Campaigning on the prospect that his experience would guide the nation into a new era of prosperity. While he did indeed have the experience over Breckinridge, John had a strange charisma about him and was an experienced leader, not to mention he was younger and more vibrant than his older opponent.

By the end of the campaign there was a clear winner, the Democratic party, having weathered the War of Succession and seeing to the people after the devastation, over came the Whigs with a 70% to 30% of the votes. On January 1st, Jefferson Davis stepped down and honorably handed over the reins of the nation to John C. Breckinridge.

~ John C. Breckinridge ~
1866 – 1872

President Breckinridge entered the office with a new slew of problems, majorly the question about what to do about Cuba. For the past few years the Confederacy was looking to expand its borders, the need for a new or expanded market was becoming a need and the scene in Cuba was about to be set. During those years an insurgency had sprung up in Cuba ageist the Spanish government, as Confederate spies reported, and the notion was made known that the Cubans could welcome annexation from the more friendly Confederacy.

Soon enough intervention would seem almost inevitable…

Note: This is just setting the scene for some more drama with Jonney and The Virginius, i will post a bit here later.

Last edited:
Interesting......do you think you will persue the Philippines too or just Cuba? Also, a good election post. I did enjoy reading it. Glad to know that you are keeping up with the political side as much as the military side too.

A solid line, you'll need it- looking good so far.