• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To the experience mapmakers,

1/ I know that a province can have some islands (like Normandie in vanilla EU2), but can a province ba cut in two by a river ?

2/ On a 2560x2560 pixel zone, one can have 256 provinces maximum. I guess it's in fact provinces + rivers + seas..., right ? or just provinces ?

gigau said:
To the experience mapmakers,

1/ I know that a province can have some islands (like Normandie in vanilla EU2), but can a province ba cut in two by a river ?

2/ On a 2560x2560 pixel zone, one can have 256 provinces maximum. I guess it's in fact provinces + rivers + seas..., right ? or just provinces ?

1. yes, you can have a river trowe a province, but it can't cut the province in two provinces. If the color are the same, also the province are the same on both sides of the river, and you can have many islands as part of a province Id.

2. provinces + rivers + seas are made by ID colors, they all counts!

2. Remeber that the 2560x2560 px zones are the so called regions, which are on all maps, they never changes place, some of them aren't 2560x2560 px. 256 px of them in each side is overlap areas where they overlap the bordering region.

incgrid-lower.jpg

Image of the regions.

I still have several problems...

Here's what i do (maybe you can point out what i do wrong) :
- I have created a new eu2map file, and used the command

Code:
Mimage.exe /e GigauMap.eu2map GigauMap1.psd /R:8160,0,2560,2560

(Iceland on top left corner, towards Macedonia on bottom right corner)

I play around with Photoshop. I create the Shading layer with the "Magellan.atn" script. Sofar so good.

Then i use :

Code:
Mimage.exe /i GigauMap1.psd GigauMap.eu2map /G:1

followed by

Code:
MPROVINCE /I Gigau.csv GigauMap.eu2map

(Gigau.csv being the Province.csv file i edited according to the provinces i added or modified).

1/ At that point, i got my first problem. When i look at my eu2map with Mview.exe, it's all grey. No blue for seas, brown for mountains,...

2/ How do i add the level 2 and 3 zooms ?

cool-toxic said:
1/ When you did the extract from the TBL files, there wasn't a colorscale.csv in the map folder.

Well, i created a new eu2map file from nothing, so indeed there was no colorscale.csv.... Will it create a problem when creating the in-game map ?

How can i put the colors after extraction ?

gigau said:
Well, i created a new eu2map file from nothing, so indeed there was no colorscale.csv.... Will it create a problem when creating the in-game map ?

It won't make a problem if you just remeber to copy colorscale.csv into the folder with your new map.

gigau said:
How can i put the colors after extraction ?

You can't.

After lots and lots of "tries and errors", i have managed to inject my partial map into a EU2 directory (Europe, Africa and the Americas). I even managed to load a game (even with lots of PTI :p ). I did a columbus to see the whole map.... and all was as planned.

But when going from one area to an other, i clicked on a PTI i made in Africa, and the game CTDed. Any idea of what happened ?

EDIT : in fact, i get a CTD when i click anywhere on the map....

Kaigon said:
ownage? land? water? province.csv?

Make sure to make a testscenario with only one country owning one province that you know is a land one. (Maybe you already have)

Hadn't made any test scenario... when i try to make one, the game CTDs when initializing the script. Guess there's something i do wrong (i'll check the forum).

EDIT : edited the Fantasia Scenario... managed to get the game loaded. But i get a CTD after a few seconds.

Could it be a problem where a sprite isn't anymore within it's designated province borders ?

cool-toxic said:
As Kaigon wrote it's a problem with the province.csv. Maybe try to make one from scratch, that's what i do

OH NOOOOOOOOOO ! :rolleyes:

Krantz said:
Nice gigau keep up the good work. Is it a world map, like watk, mymap and Elios map?

Yeah, world map....

The thing is that i play Great Campaigns starting in 1187 (or 1337), all the way to 1936 (haven't managed to get hold of HoI2 yet :p ).

I have problems with maps and provinces changing too much when i change game. So basically :

> for Europe, i've made a map copied on the CK duchies (most cut in half). Kept the names of the CK duchies.

> for Africa and the Americas, i've drawn the borders of the coutries (and of the states in the USA). Then i 've drawn colonies within these borders. Names are those of a native tribe living there (or at least as close as i could find)... and tried to prefer their original names, not those given by the explorers.

> Currently working on south-east Asia and Oceania.... i will apply "same rules" as for America.

> Asia and Siberia : no clue yet. Haven't done any research that could help me.

> Oceans and sea : planned on keeping that of EU2.

Last edited:
New set of questions (sorry :p )

1/ I'd like to avoid starting my Province.csv file all over from scratch. Before doing anything stupid, i'd like to know what severals columns are used for :

> TerrainX, TerrainY and Terrain variant are used for the four terrain sprites one can add, right ?

> Extra River Desc Link (1, 2, 3) ?

> Desc Link 3 ?

> Fill coord X and Y ?

> the 16 unlabelled columns in the EU2 province.csv file, but not the one created by the Mprovince.exe of Magellan ? Those files don't seem that important, as, when i delete them, game loads normally... but i'd like to know what they are for

2/ I used the same sea Ids as in regular EU2 and changed the borders of provinces (and added some but between 1615 and 2020). Somehow, when i do a F12-Columbus, i got storm sprites on land provinces :wacko:
So i filled all the terrain collumns with -100;-100;0 to remove all sprites... but some how the sprites are stille there. Any idea ?

Last edited:
About blocks, there are outer ones with 2560x2560 pixels and inner ones with 2048x2048 pixels.
For all blocks the limit of provs is 256 (lands, sea zones, rivers, lakes).
The # of blocks is 40 for the whole world.
Once I read in a post about the limit of provs touched by same river: 36 .
Is it right?

OK, i managed to inject a first part in a game directory. Modded a fantasia scenario to launch the game. Intending to define the sprites when all else is done, i removed the sprite datas in the Province.csv file.... so what the hell are these storms doing on my screenshot ?

Thanks in advance and best regards

gigau said:
OK, i managed to inject a first part in a game directory. Modded a fantasia scenario to launch the game. Intending to define the sprites when all else is done, i removed the sprite datas in the Province.csv file.... so what the hell are these storms doing on my screenshot ?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Did you use a clean, magellan-generated province.csv? Storms are defined in province.csv in the 'storm' column. Any value other than '0' will add storms in that province - apparently with no regard to terrain. For some unexplainable reason magellan uses '-1' here as a default value so that has to be fixed manually.