• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First of all, if you have the IDs layer in place, you should't get a IDs copy, it should be deleted by the action.
When that is correctly done then you have a "New Shading" folder and a "Shading" + "Borders" + "IDs" + "MapInfo ** DON'T EDIT!".
Then delete "Shading" and merge(Ctrl + E) the "New Shading" folder.
And then save it and try to import it again;)

Thank you again.

I modified the IDs Layer, then I started the Magellan actions in the correct sequence. I deleted the IDs Copy Layer and the Shading Layer, then I merged the New Shading Folder in a single Layer renamed Shading. Now I have 4 Layer and the picture is ok, except for the name of the provinces (that I omitted for the moment).
Now I saved as a file with another name, then I used the Mimage tool:

mimage.exe testmap1.psd newmap.eu2map /pedantic

and I controlled the file with the Mview tool and, again except for the name of the provinces, it seems ok.

Then I put the modified Map folder in the Map folder of the Eu2 directory: I opened the game, I selected Russia 1776; the loading of the game is ok, but when I go on the 456 province, the game stops and I sadly return on Windows... :(

Maybe the problem is in the replacement in the Map Folder? Which files should I replace? also the province.csv? Does the Magellan Tool modify the province.csv file?

I use Eu2 Version 1.09.

The Regent of Bohemia

Lord Admiral of the Bohemian Navy,
High Commissioner for Development and Advancement of the Utopian Confederation of Balkans,
Member of the Siberian Senate,
Minister of Science and Culture of the Kingdom of Presbyter Johannes,
Minister of Truth of Eurasia,
Deputy President of the Republic of Bananas,
Lord Major of the City of Sun,
and more other...

The command should look something like this:
Code:
MIMAGE /I newmap newfolder /1
And in the newfolder folder there should be two folders, "map" and "DB".
Then you placed it all in a moddir, or the Vanilla game, whatever you want, but it's important that, if you use moddir, copy the idgrid.tbl to the Vanilla map folder. Make a backup before overwriting.

EDIT: Check also if some of the country borders(ie. the red border), is in PTI, if so then delete the part in PTI..

Last edited:
cool-toxic said:
EDIT: Check also if some of the country borders(ie. the red border), is in PTI, if so then delete the part in PTI..

Yes, that was my problem... I am very grateful to you for your patience and availability, Cool-Toxic Shah.
I reworked the map without the Updated Border Action, and now it's ok! :)

But I have two new problems... I made another attempt, redrawing Sicily: I modified the psd file, I used mimage and inject command, then I opened the game: Sicily has the correct shape only in the normal view (lightmap1), but the old shape in the zoom views (lightmap2 and 3). Which command enables to reshape all the three maps?

The other problem is connected to the colour of the sea in the modified version, that is a more dark-blue than the original one. Also the borders between two sea-zone seem to be more irregular and marked than the originals. Is it a problem or is it normal?

If someone explains me how insert a little image in my post, I will show you a picture of my new Sicily, clarifing the second problem.

Thanks agains,
best wishes!

The Regent of Bohemia

Lord Admiral of the Bohemian Navy,
High Commissioner for Development and Advancement of the Utopian Confederation of Balkans,
Member of the Siberian Senate,
Minister of Science and Culture of the Kingdom of Presbyter Johannes,
Minister of Truth of Eurasia,
Deputy President of the Republic of Bananas,
Lord Major of the City of Sun,
and more other...

cool-toxic said:
The second one is because you need to marque the sea zones(do this by using the magic wand tool on the ID map.) and then painting the marqued area with white(255,255,255) on the Oceans layer, in the new Shading folder.

Thank you again. I solved the problem of dark blue sea zone, but I have two new questions...

1) Could I modify the adjacent provinces of a certain province? I know Tanone's EU Province Link Editor, downloaded on the following page:
http://home.broadpark.no/~havmoe/EU/Tanone.htm
But seemingly it doesn't work with the Map folder modified with Magellan.

2) In the Eu2 Map there are little pictures representing trees, mountains, grasslands etc., corresponding to the terrain type of a certain province. How do one insert these pictures in the Map? is there a file that contained the necessary info about these pictures?

Best regards

BohemianRegent said:
Thank you again. I solved the problem of dark blue sea zone, but I have two new questions...

1) Could I modify the adjacent provinces of a certain province? I know Tanone's EU Province Link Editor, downloaded on the following page:
http://home.broadpark.no/~havmoe/EU/Tanone.htm
But seemingly it doesn't work with the Map folder modified with Magellan.

With mstats.exe you can see what provinces that is adjancent to each other, the EU Province Link Editor should however work... But the only way else is to have a little pixel (of province X) in the middel of province Y, if they don't touch each other. If they do, they should be adjacent...

BohemianRegent said:
2) In the Eu2 Map there are little pictures representing trees, mountains, grasslands etc., corresponding to the terrain type of a certain province. How do one insert these pictures in the Map? is there a file that contained the necessary info about these pictures?

Best regards

Download Matteli's KrouinBro.

And tutorial here.

cool-toxic said:
With mstats.exe you can see what provinces that is adjancent to each other, the EU Province Link Editor should however work... But the only way else is to have a little pixel (of province X) in the middel of province Y, if they don't touch each other. If they do, they should be adjacent...

Thank you again. I will test Matteli's program as soon as possible.
Mstat.exe correctly works and I can see the links between provinces of my new map, but EU Province Link Editor gives crazy links if applied not only to my new map, but also to the map folder of 1.09 version without changes... E.g. italian provinces are related to dutch or french provinces while on the map they are not linked... It's very strange: maybe an offset problem?
The method of a little pixel could be very useful, but if one inserts a little pixel of colour X in a province of colour Y, on the Shading Layer a little spot appears, damaging the smoothness of the map... :(

Best regards,

About the question of regenerate lightmap 2 and 3 from 1, I read on the Inferis page:
http://www.inferis.org/eu2/magellan/
that in the minject command, the option /L [Indicates to regenerate lightmap2 and lightmap3 from lightmap1 (downsizing).] is currently unimplemented. Maybe we must use the option /1 /2 or /3 in the mimage command to modify the map also in the zoom mode...

discontinue provinces/endless rivers

Question for mapmodders who used/experimented with inland provinces constituent of multiple parts, with or w/o rivers inbetween, as well as multiple rivers under one id: well, does it work as intended? Any limits regarding the 'endlessness of rivers' encountered? Other gameplay/ctd related weirdness encountered? Other experiences you'd like to share?

cool-toxic said:
The 'endlessness of rivers' doesn't make CTDs and provinces constituent of multiple parts doesn't affect the game in any unstabilizing way:)
So no limit encountered on the amount of bordering provinces? I'm going to test it myself eventually - say, putting all European, central asian and african rivers and lakes under one id, will be at least 256 ids which might pose a 'logical' limit...

My merged river consists of rivers in North America, Africa, Europe and Middle East. And there's no problems with a limit.
Also as I wrote before lakes are treated in the sameway as sea zones and land provinces, if the lake ID is known you can see all the lakes making spot on the map known, while rivers are treated in a special way, so if there's no known bordering provinces you can't see it.

To all mapmakers,

how do you find the right colors for the id-layer? Do you use the mcolor-tool to find the id-colors or do you have a special palette?

I plan to do a new map and so it is a little bit tedious to switch between mcolor.exe and photoshop all the time. I would be happy if someone have a palette with all the id-colors.

Or is there any other way I can't see.

Thx.

cool-toxic said:
My merged river consists of rivers in North America, Africa, Europe and Middle East. And there's no problems with a limit.
Also as I wrote before lakes are treated in the sameway as sea zones and land provinces, if the lake ID is known you can see all the lakes making spot on the map known, while rivers are treated in a special way, so if there's no known bordering provinces you can't see it.
Well, provided that you specify a lake as a seazone, which I usually did in my watk's, but it is obviously a waste of id's...
Anyway, thanks for the info, very useful for my plans.

@Eric Lasalle
I use mcolor only but I seem to remember that Inferis posted something of a palette indeed long ago...

Didn't I post the colour reference chart somewhere?

Well, I'll post it again...

colourmap.png