• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Where is Ludwig Beck?

Haha did not expect Ukraine at all , but this is definitely 'more' as you say , hermano XD haha interesting world !

No one expects the Ukra... In... well... It's a quite curious world. More surprises in store.

We want more war!
Bring down the Tsar!!!

You'll have, it goes without saying. I'm still to see a twenty years HOI game without a single war. :D

Where is Ludwig Beck?

Alàs, he got replaced when Louis Ferdinand was made king. It was him, Beck or Rommel, IIRC.

Chapter 18.

First set - The Failure of a Revolution.

Berlin, September 1th, 1944

The Eastern Borders, today (Part Two).

The fall of the Austrian Empire

The Austro-Hungarian Empire, that had hardly survived the Great War, was unable this time to escape from the chaos that followed the hardly avoided defeat. As it was expected, the Tsarist Russia had no intention to help Vienna and used the chance to launch herself to recover his lost influence to the "Powder keg" of Europe, the Balkans.

Saint Petersburg, thus, helped to resurface the old hatred of the area by throwing Romania against Hungary over the Transylvania and Eastern Banat question and against Bulgaria for Constanza; Serbia against everybody, madly running after his dream of a Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes; Bulgaria against Serbia and Greece; Greece against Serbia... All in all, a huge puzzle.

Alàs, the game went out of Russia's control. Seeing the postrate state of Austria and Hungary, Romania did manage to take back the Transylvania and Eastern Banat from Budapest, but Russia failed when they wanted to persuade Bucharest to give them Moldavia. This little issue may had led to a small war had not fate interverned in the form of Igor Sergeyevich Gouzenko (1). Gouzenko was a cipher clerk for the Tsarist Embassy to Canada in Ottawa, Ontario and defected on September 5, 1944 with documents on Russian espionage activities in the West. Too busy trying to save his network of spies all around the world -as the effects of this defection soon spread around-, Romania was forgotten. Amazingly, then, the România Mare (the Great Romania) was saved and Corneliu Zelea Codreanu and Horia Sima survived against all odds. At least, for a while. Soon, some foreign rumours about the possible return of king Carol endangered that survival.

Hungary, so hardly wounded, was still to suffer a bit more, when their remaining lands went out from them. The first one was Croatia, with some German encouragement. Zagreb not only claimed for his survival, but annexed poor little Bosnia in the process. Alàs, no one cared about Bosnia. To add insult to the injury, the kingdom of Galizien und Lodomerien, a puppet, to some degree, to Budapest, had been obliterated in the ensuing chaos, and its former lands were part of Ukraine and Poland. Worse still, all of Slovakia but from Pressov had escaped from the grasp of Budapest by the hand of Josef Tiso. The former kingdom had been reduced to a shell of its former past. No wonder that Otto of Habsburg had to abdicate after that.

Austria, on its part, fared no better. The Habsburg family had been too vilified to keep themselves on the throne. Thus, quite quietly, some Austrian noblemen deposed Otto and hailed the new kaiser, Louis Ferdinand, by God's grace ruler of Prussia, Germany and, now, of Austria too. It goes without saying that Louis Ferdinand was quite amazed by this proclamation and the same may be added about the new government, who were informed of the fact at the same time that the Austrian population. They were still a bit unbalanced when the same process was repeated in the kingdom of Böhmen, when Felix zu Schwarzenberg just run away and the new provisional government annouced the abdication of King Ottokar III of Bohemia. Thus, in just a few days, Otto von Habsburg-Lothringen was no longer emperor of Austria, king of Hungary and Bohemia, but just another unknown citizen of Germany. He would have to wait a few months until the situation calmed itself a bit and he was recognized as king of Bohemia, at the same level of all the rest of German monarchs, like the king of Bavaria or the King of Württemberg.

Meanwhile, the southern corner of the Balkans was turned upside down. Albania was broken by a civil war which ended with Wilhem I (helped in some degree from Berlin) facing the self proclaimed King Zog (helped by Italy). It just lasted a few weeks in what resembled a silly comedy ("it looks as if a drunk George Bernard Shaw had written it", Oswald Mosley said), Albania ended divided in two, parts: the south, under Wilhelm, which ended being incorportated to Germany, against Germany's and Albania's wishes, indeed; and the north, which was incorporated to the so-called "Mandate of the Adriatic", a diplomatic label to define the area in the Adriatic coast that Italia had annexed during the mess.

Thus ended the Balkan question and the Week that changed the World (30th July, 1944 - &th August 1944).

At least, for a while, as it had been said before.

ScreenSave12-6.jpg

(1) Nothing as reliable as the Civil Service, indeed...

Note for the reader.

If you are wondering what the fuss happened with Bohemia and Austria, it can be summarized in the following way. I attempted to keep going playing, watching amazed how the mixed mods dealt with the issue. The results were the following ones.

a) Austria got annexed by Italy and Bohemia by Poland. Not bad, but not enough. Let's try again.
b) Austria and Bohemia got annexed by Hungary. Then a wonderful CTD. Gorgeous.
c) Austria annexed Bohemia and gets annexed by Slovenia.
d) Austria is not annexed by no one but Bohemia declared war to Russia.

At this stage I was in a Shaka-situation

Dibujo.jpg

and did not dare to try a sixth time, so I just addapted the Anschluss and the Munich conference events and fired them manually. Question solved.

Serbia against everybody
:rofl: tell us something new :D

Anyways, that's one bloody Balkans and it looks like Germany did get part of Albania (though I do find it funny that they didn't want it). I wouldn't want it either, as you probably now have to babysit it :p

Bonus to the Chapter 18.

Berlin, January 2th, 2004

-YOU'VE WHAT?!?!?!

The thunderous voice of Käthe had made poor Duckie almost to jump. However, he had made up his mind, and was going to face the facts and stand for his principles. Even if that meant having Käthe kicking his ass.

- I've joined the KPD, Käthe -he began, trying to sound as calm and sure as he was panicked and weak under her strong gaze-. I feel it's my duty to my country and, as a German...

-You're nuts!

-Ja, and as a German nuts I should try to do my best for...

G_Bush.jpg

You've what?

-I bet than when you die, God is going to use your brain with another guy.... Do you know why? -Käthe said while going up and down through the room, moving her head in disbelief.

-Erm... no -Duckie had clearly missed the point.

-Because it's still brand-new and, above all, not-used! -she added with a mighty roar. Too nervous to avoid it, Duckie farted in fear.

Outside, on the street, a dog raised his big furry head, wondering about the familiar noise.

-At least, well... -she tried to calm herself a bit-, there is no risk for Germany of having you elected to the Premiership.

-Hey! -Duckie shouted, deeply hurt on his pride-. Well, you're right. There are at least thirty or forty lads and lassies in the list...

HillaryClintonAaaa.png

Hillary Clinton copying Nelson's "Ha-ha!!!!"

-And you're...

-The 31st on it.

-No danger, then -Käthe said, widely grinning.

hilary.jpg

Like that, you mean?​

She was quite surprised when Duckie went out, blasting the door on his exit, raging as she never had seen him. While going to the bathroom -"Bathman, Robinth and all that", she thought during a second, "geeez, I've to try not to spent so much time with Duckie, erm, sorry, with the Right Honorable Herr Duckie, the Firstmadman of the Reichstag, excuse me, your Royal Highness...", she thought, bemused. Duckie joining the Royal party. Awesome...

She was enjoying so much that she did not realized about the small camera that Duckie had managed to slip among the shelves facing the bath.

comagoosie: You fast slut... :D Who wants to own a part of Albania? Unless there is oil there, of course...

Last edited:
Ak.

You should re-name the party. Because I keep reading the abbreviation as the one for the German Communist Party, or "Kommunistische Partei Deutschlands

I too thought he joined the commies... :rofl:
I love that random scene where the dog on the street hears the well-known sound... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Duckie ten years later:
'I accidentally the whole party'
and then 'I accidentally the whole vote count'.

Serbia against everybody
:rofl: tell us something new :D
At least it's not ahistorical. Fighting against somebody that has ten times more manpower, 5 times more IC and better technology is one of our most prized traditions. It wouldn't be Serbia if it didn't pres DOW without even looking at the odds.

Ak.

You should re-name the party. Because I keep reading the abbreviation as the one for the German Communist Party, or "Kommunistische Partei Deutschlands

Ach so.... That was the pun... playing with the KPD we know of and this new KPD. Sigh...

Well,

Let me tell you all.

Soon, the Kaiserliche Partei Deutschlands will be renamed Kaiserliche und Königliche Partei Deutschlands, or (KKPD).

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestion for such an odd naming of such a curious party, let it go.

I too thought he joined the commies... :rofl:
I love that random scene where the dog on the street hears the well-known sound... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Geez... well, the KKPD is born.

At least it's not ahistorical. Fighting against somebody that has ten times more manpower, 5 times more IC and better technology is one of our most prized traditions. It wouldn't be Serbia if it didn't pres DOW without even looking at the odds.

Well, as charging with lances against tanks was already choosen, I guess that Serbia had to do something more corageous. :D

I hope you know that in some cultures, fast sluts are a prized possession :p

I'm going to refrain from doing the dirty jokes I'm thinking of.

I'll be brief. Naughty boy.

c) Austria annexed Bohemia and gets annexed by Slovenia.

Yay, Slovenia wins again! :D

Kurt, I am very disapointed because you didn't tell us more about Slovenia. You even didn't paste her flag and leaders on your map of Balkans! :(:eek:o

Royalistische Partei Deutscher?

Monarchistische?

Ehrenpartei? :D

Mmmh, what about Kaiserliche und Königliche und Royalistische und Monarchistische Ehrenpartei Deutschlands?

I think I'll just go for Ehrenpartei.

Yay, Slovenia wins again! :D

Kurt, I am very disapointed because you didn't tell us more about Slovenia. You even didn't paste her flag and leaders on your map of Balkans! :(:eek:o

Oh, sorry!

Slovenia was the funniest of all. The Slovenian leaders were unable to decide among the turmoil that was going over them: they were on the verge of being annexed by Italy, Croatia and Germany. All of the sudden, they decided to do a silly trick: that is, to become a kingdom.

That way

ScreenSave0-10.jpg

Alàs, they didn't found Edler von Hospdarz cool enough. Thus, they replaced him by another royal.

ScreenSave1-8.jpg

Karl-Stephan von Habsburg was on the dole since his kingdom of Galizien-Lodomerian vanished from the political map, so he was quite glad to accept the role. Alàs, he was also quite old (he was born in 1860 -1-) and died just after he was crowned. With no royal available (at hand or willing), the election was quite logical.

The Regency Council: Hi...
Edler von Hospdarz: Now you need me...
The Regency Council: It's that or the Republic...
Edler von Hospdarz: Ha! Now you need me...
The Regency Council: We are even considering to turn Syndies, you know...
Edler von Hospdarz: What?!?!?!
The Regency Council: ...but we...
Edler von Hospdarz: Ok, ok, I'll be your king.
The Regency Council: :D

And all this happened in just fourteen hours.

ScreenSave0-10.jpg

Back to square one.

-1- And he died in 1933 in OTL.

Thanks for backup on Eslovenia. :D

Only bad thing on it's story is that I don't know who the hell are those people who are leading it. Some Austrian nobles probably? I hope that Hoi3 will have real Slovenian ministers at least.

Last edited:
Karl-Stephen von Habsburg was also the Head of State of Galizien-Londomiern (or however it's written) if I remember right.

HoI has alot of dead ministers, btw. Default Head of State of Ottoman Empire is Abdülhamid II, the famous one. The one that died before WWI.

Eslovenia?
What happened to Carinthia?

Erm... Do you want me to search for Carinthia in that mess? Well, let's try... It got annexed by.... by... by...

Finland!

:D

Thanks for backup on Eslovenia. :D

Only bad thing on it's story is that I don't know who the hell are those people who are leading it. Some Austrian nobles probably? I hope that Hoi3 will have real Slovenian ministers at least.

The same happens to me with some of them. Sometmes I can fi8nd some obscure reference to one of them here and there, but, all in all, my success has been pitiable, to my eternal shame.

Karl-Stephen von Habsburg was also the Head of State of Galizien-Londomiern (or however it's written) if I remember right.

Indeed, as it was stated on the brief reference to the Slovenian mess.

HoI has alot of dead ministers, btw. Default Head of State of Ottoman Empire is Abdülhamid II, the famous one. The one that died before WWI.

Some French minister who died before WW1 also comes to my mind. Well, minor nitpics, I guess... You can always edit the file and solve the question.

Chapter 19.

In a castle, 90 miles south of Berlin, August 25th, 1944

Lieutenant Hubert Gruber detested paperwork, but loved the long parades of the prisoners. The Geneva Convention was behind all that fuss of sending back home all that prisoners (so virile and musculate), but he was over with the paperwork and had managed to run away from his desk. Gruber bit his lips and paced along the wall near the chapel, waiting for it to end. From time to time, outside the walls of the castle, the POWs would march in brisk formation, flaunting about their recovered freedom and to the train that would begin to long way back home. On his part, Colonel Kurt Von Strohm had vanished, after seeing his last chance for having some profit from the war turning into naught. "Ve have von ze var. And look vat I got! I am a German officer and I am as poor as a rat!"

gruber2.jpg

The British and American POWs had become expert in tight about-faces. Today the last POWs were marching away and Gruber was bored to sobs. RAF Flight Lieutenants Fairfax and Carstairs were marching right now in front of him. Gone with the war was the last chance for official fun: Gruber knew the POWs had a radio hidden in the castle because the entire POW population learned the BBC news on the same day they were broadcasted. Despite searches that had entirely removed the castle upside down, Gruber had been unable to find the radio. And even that hobby was gone...

The POWs were using an American marching chant: "She left. She left. She left, right, she left. You had a good home. You had a good job. You had a good life, but she left, right, she left." Gruber walked away to chew a Hershey bar. It had been found among the American airmen's emergency rations found in the downed Mitchell bomber, which had crashed in a pear orchard a kilometer from the castle. Colonel von Strohm had divided them evenly among the guards. His first chocolate in three months.

gruber1.jpg

None of the American crew had survived. Their bodies had been pulled from the wreckage and buried in the military cemetery near the river. Their dogtags would be given to the Red Cross. Shouts came from the marching formation. Gruber turned to the sound. A fight had erupted among the prisoners. Two prisoners fell to the ground, flailing at each other with the other POWs roaring and quickly choosing sides. Gruber rushed toward the fray then hesitated, quickly swinging his gaze the length of the yard. Fistfights were classic POW ruses, designed to draw attention away from an escape, but he saw nothing unusual. There was no reason now, when they were going home at last. Thus, he turned his attention to the two brawlers. "Break it up!" he bellowed in English. He waded into the crowd.

Thus, he was to busy to see a POW vanishing into the nearest trees. He missed also the chance to see the senior Syndicalist officer smiling thinly.

"Good flight to Berlin, Jack", he thought.

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for
modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No
country can be really well repared for modern war unless it is governed
by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient
bureaucracy (Aldous Huxley)

Third set - The Brown Bolshevik.

Berlin, 18th July, 1929

[Taken from "Hitler's traitor: The Rise and Fall of the Red Reich", by Ludwig Kilzer, Kalpurna University Press (2000)]

...In the end, it was a close run. The election took place shortly after the Geli Raubal scandal. A journalist, Fritz Gerlich, had discovered that Geli, Adolf Hitler's half-niece, and, according to some rumours, Adolf Hitler's lover, was having an affair with Ernst Hanfstaengl, Hitler's closest confidant. Hardly had been time for the news to spread all around the country than Geli and Ernst made their way to Switzerland and from there to England, leaving behind Hanfstaengl's wife and family and a bewildered Hitler (1).

This event had the effect of lowering a bit the popularity of Hitler, who used his Brownshirst in a desperate (and violent) attempt to supress the news. It goes without saying that the vicious beating of Gerlich didn't help, either, the cause of herr Hitler. Even then it was a close thing among him, Otto Wels (SPD) and Otto-Ernst Remer (SRP). Remer adn ths SRP had made just a quite normal start, going up quite slowly in the polls, winning ground, but not at an impressive rate. Then fate wanted to have the last word of the electoral campaign being said by a non-political who disliked with all his heart democracy: Wilhelm II. The ancient warlord, still at odds with the SPD and not willing to even recognize the existence of the "Red Bohemian corporal" (2), had to say aloud that Remer was nothing buts an upstart and wanted someone else but the "upstart", that is, Remer, to won. Was the Kaiser trying to have Kaas or Hugenberg to win? No one knows it for sure. Fate wanted, too, that all the Germans newspapers printer in their first page the Imperial words. And the German volk, that loved so much his Kaiser, took at heart his words, but with a twist of irony, so to speak.

Perhaps it was the clouded heavens of Northern Germany, as those days were quite rainy and sad ones. Perhaps it was some quite of madness caused by the drinking stupor that came out of some Oktoberfest held too much in advance in Southern Germany. Perhaps it was the idea of "what the fuss? Those Northern and Southern madmen are going to spoil it after all" that seemed to pervade in Central Germany. Or perhaps it was just an unconscious mood that wanted to make a trick on the Kaiser. The fact was that, suddenly, Remer began to rise on the polls like a comet.

However, even then it was a close run. With Hitler's rising schizophrenia about the culture of betrayal around him among the ranks of his part, and with Wels being loyal to himself and his strong belief in freedom and honour, they forgot to look back. And Remer was there, with a powerful but, sometimes, contradicting series of speeches, calling for the return of the national pride forgotten by the long years of victory and peace and his hatred to the Syndicalists and all the foreign influence. And the Germans, who care not a jot about anything but his daily needs, tired of so many governments that, since 1918, had just been a continious rehearsal of the same, decided to try. And this tempation, that was folly incarnate, made Ernst Otto Remer Chancellor of Germany, even if he did not do as well as he had hoped, polling 34.7%, rather than the 50+% that he had expected.

gruber1-1.jpg

Berlin, January 2th, 2004

Meanwhile...

Käthe (with a short skirt and showing her lovely belly to the world): I have bad news for you, Duckie...

Duckie (trying not to get wild and being killed in the process): I have worse news for you, Käthe...

Käthe (surprised): Uh?

Duckie (looking at the legs that endless): You first.

Käthe (moving to the side and allowing a charming brunette to be seen by Duckie): I want to introduce you to my new girlfriend.

Duckie (raising his hands and looking defeated): Bugger... you win.

Käthe (grinning): And your "worse news"?

Duckie (as if awakening): Oh, that... nothing really. I've won a seat in the Reichstag, you know.

Käthe (stopping grinning): What?

Duckie (hidding behind a tree): It isn't my fault! Who could have guessed that so many people would go AWOL?!?!?!

Käthe (afraid for Germany): I hope you won't get elected for a high post...

Duckie (turning red and still behind the tree): Those are the worse news...

To be continued...

:D

(1) As Hanfstaengl had called Geli an "empty-headed little slut, with the coarse sort of bloom of a servant girl with no brains or character", I couldn't resist the idea of the two lovers running away together. The most unlikely couple ever, perhaps. :D
(2) Our good old Adolf, who else?