• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kurt_Steiner

Katalaanse Burger en Terroriste
4 Badges
Feb 12, 2005
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For The Glory
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings Complete
valkyrie.jpg

Foreword

Here I am, starting another AAR and going through that uncanny feeling when one faces an empty post, knowing the message that one wants to transmit but unable to write it down.

Great, isn't it?

This AAR is, somehow, something I would call a kind of exorcism and, by all means, a way of entertainment. It is not intended neither to explain any mistery lost in the midst of the history of the twentieth century nor to redeem neither some unredeemable beings nor some ideologies - I'm not a miracle-maker. Even if I were that, I wouldn't be willing to do such a miracle. My purpose it's neither to describe any present day moment nor to mourn something that it's dead and gone for good. My intention is just to play with an idea that has been bothering me since a few years ago and with a saying that I was told once. Thus, with this primary mission in mind this AAR is born.

And to achieve that, I'm going to place all the action in a parallel universe with some connections and similarities to ours but not too many. I'm doing that just to be sure that if depict anything close to history or anyone closer to a present or past well known politician, militar leader or whatever, is just sheer coincidence. So to speak, this AAR is not meant to be particularly historical or give an extrapolation of (present or past) history so please forgive any gaps, manipulation or misinterpretations herein .

I must add that this new AAR is an homage to one of the finest AAR ever written, Timelineshttp://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289729 (and its shower scenes, of course), by my good old brothAAR Canonized, an AAR that's always given me a lot of pleasure (and headaches) and has always been something of an influence (positive, of course). It is going to be, too, if God gives me enough strenght and perseverance, an homage to the many AARs I've read and enjoyed (just to mention a few ones, let's say Alexander Primus, Allenby, my beloved lady General Amona, Atlantic Friend, Cthulhu, El Pip, Gaiasabre11, Haardrade, Karelian, Le Jones, Myth, Remble, Robw963, TheHyphenated1, The Yogi, TreizeV, and Trekaddict and many more -1- ). With such variety of readings, it goes without sayinig that this AAR is going to have some surprises in it.

I was going to refrain myself a bit and just run two sets of Timelines, one set in the "past" and the other in the "present" of that alternate world. However, I will add a third set, which will take place in the "past" of the "past" tense, just for literary needs of the AAR. You'll learn, bit by bit, the reason of this election.

Let me mention that I'll do, depending on the situation and the help of the Muses, a combination of history book and narrative style. So God help me.

I hope you enjoy it.

First set - The Failure of a Revolution.
Nation: Germany (1944-...)
Game: HOI 2 Armageddon (1936 - The Road to War ...but from 1944 onwards).
Mod: ARS Bellica by Mordred (It's a Spanish mod that we are busy now translating into English) with some home-made modifications on the flags and the governments of some countries (to adecuate it to the story of this set, mainly).

Second set - The Failure of a Republic
Nation: Germany (2004-...)
Game: HOI 2 DD
Mod: Modern Day Scenario II

Third set - The Brown Bolshevik.
Nation: Germany (1936 - ...)
Game: HOI 2 DD (1936 - The Road to War).
Mod: Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg.

I know. I have some kind of Germanobsession, indeed.

Summary of the Chapters

Chapter 1 - November, 15th 2003
Chapter 2 - November, 16th 2003 / July 2th, 1944
Chapter 3 - November 18th 2003 / August 9th, 1921 / July 2th, 1944
Chapter 4 - August 16th, 1921 / November 22th, 2003 / July 5th, 1944
Chapter 5 - January 1st, 1922 / Berlin, July 5th, 1944 / Interlude / Berlin, November 2003
Chapter 6 - London, Union of Britain July 20th, 1944 / Berlin, July 23th, 1944 / Interlude / Berlin, November 2003
Chapter 7 -Berlin, June 28th, 1922 / Berlin, July 25th, 1944 / Interlude
Chapter 8 - Berlin, 22h November, 2003 / Interlude
Chapter 9 - Berlin, August 1st, 1944 / Germany, 1922-25 / Interlude
Chapter 10 - Ottawa, August 5th, 1944 / Berlin, 29th November, 2003 / Interlude
Chapter 11 - Berlin, early June, 1925 / Berlin, August 7th, 1944 / Interlude
Chapter 12 - Berlin, 30th November, 2003 / In a castle, 90 miles south of Berlin, August 12th, 1944 / Interlude
Chapter 13 - Berlin, 1st July, 1925 / Berlin, 5th December, 2003
Chapter 14 - London, August 15th, 1944 / Berlin, 18th July, 1929
Chapter 15 - Berlin, 28 December, 2003 / Interlude / Berlin, 28 December, 2003
Chapter 16 - Berlin, 1st January, 2004 / Berlin, August 20th, 1944
Chapter 17 - Berlin, September 1th, 1944
Chapter 18 - Berlin, September 1th, 1944
Bonus to Chapter 18- Berlin, January 2th, 2004
Small update about Slovenia
Chapter 19 - In a castle, 90 miles south of Berlin, August 25th, 1944 / Berlin, 18th July, 1929 / Berlin, January 2th, 2004
Chapter 20 - Berlin, January 2th, 2004
Bonus to Chapter 20 - Berlin, January 2th, 2004
Chapter 21 - Postdam, March 21st, 1945 / Postdam, March 21st, 2004 / Postdam, March 21st, 1936
Chapter 22 - Germany, late March, 2004
Chapter 23 - Germany, early April, 2004
Chapter 24 - Montreal, November 20th, 1947 / Berlin, February 3rd, 1936 / Duckie's office
Chapter 25 - Berlin, early December, 1947 / Europe, Late March, 1936

-1- "Just a few", he said, the bastard... (Peti Niebla's dixit)

Last edited:
Second set - The Failure of a Republic.

Chapter 1.

Berlin, 15th November, 2003

Gresky.jpg

The roar the guns firing against the Reichstag to cover the advance of the tanks towards the building rose to defeaning scream, as if the whole Walhala was shouting at the same time. Günther could saw the dark hole of the Syndicalist tank and then will come the thunder of the tank that would end...

-Fräulein Klausing! Day-dreaming again!

... but no. It was not the tank but something worse. It was Herr Schumacher, her history teacher. Sighing without hope, Katherine prepared for something worse than facing a Syndicalist heavy tank.

A few minutes later, in Herr Schumacher’s office.

The young woman was facing the anger of professor who had caught her lost in her mental wandering instead of paying atention to the history lesson. It was not, not at all, that she was uninterested on history, on the contrary, but that part of Germany's 20th century bored her to sobs. She was more interested in what may had happened that about what had really taken place. She wrote a mental note, to remind herself not to forget to explain his last lesbo fantasy to his good old male friend Kaiserduck ("hell, what's the problem with men? Are they unable to think a good nick? Shit, if males would menstruate, all religions of the world would center on human blood and the cycle of the moon") when they would met on the 'net, later, on the dark hours of the night. Mmmh, she thought, that it's a good point. Then the anger of her teacher reached her hears, breaking the magic spell. "So typical of a male", she thought. "Always shouting their messages instead of making them a bit more coherent".

A few minutes later she was sitting on the library, in front of her laptop and with a pile of halfwritten-notes, books and CDs on the sides. She should had admitted that she was in a fool mod and she should had left writting his final paper for a better moment. Alàs, she was, after all, a bit stubborn. She attended the Gymnasium Conradinum, the former Karl-Marx People's Polytechnical School, in Berlin. Under the Kaiser it had had another name, but she didn't remember it. After all, she was born in 1984, forty years after the Second German Empire came to its end. It must be added that she wasn't the usual German fräulein -she was better than that, actually- of those times, always worried about boys (well, girls in her case), clothes and parties. She had developed, since her early childhood, a taste for day-dreaming. That, along with her passion for history, had led her to create her own alternative universe. To make her illness still worse, she had become addicted to Eisernes Herzen II, a strategy game developed by an Austrian company called Paragon Interactive. Now she was going to write her paper.

She wrote the title and smiled to herself:

“What if von Stauffenberg had Failed to Save the World?”

Amused, she visualized the face of her teacher reading as he read her paper. Feeling awfully good, she began to write its main thesis:

“Had Kaiser Wilhelm III been obliged to abdicate from his throne on June 20, 1944, it is quite possible that Germany would have been spared of the horrors of the following eleven months of war and the almost 50 years of Syndicalist rule. The aim of my study is to show how this could have been achieved.

Bearing in mind the previous studies like Lorena Braudy, who considers that the Conspiracy of June 20, 1944, was “suffused by the imaginery of the chivalric”, which “collided with the brute force of machinery” (Braudy 2003 : 375), I will analyze how, had Stauffenberg and his companions had attempted a more realistic approach to solve the problem of forcing the issue of the abdication, it is quite possible that the Syndicalist wave would have been contained in the Rhin defensive line. I will analyze how chivalric attitudes were still present in Stauffenberg’s vision of the Kaiserreich society, not only in its moral aspect, but also in how economy affects its structure and the relations between each level of the German society. ”

Smiling (no, not smiling but grinning in delight), she began to write in earnest. She was so deep in her writtings that she didn’t realized of an email send by Kaiserduck.

“Ashexee, are you there?”

When she realized Kaiserduck’s email, she couldn’t help but to think: “let me guess, dear ducky... another AAR, isn’t it? What are you doing this time? Alien invaders landing at Tunguska? Not, that’s already done... ”

This is Bad Ass Kurt, I'll be looking forward to reading this. I think you've captured the feeling of Timelines perfectly in the first post with the whole classroom day-dream sequence.

Now, how will the timepiece play into this story I wonder. I notice that there is no mention of the Nazi party in this alternate timeline. I'm very curious to see how this alternate set of events plays out.

I also had a chuckle with the Schumacher name, thoughts of Batman and Robin :rofl:

"Paragon Interactive" - :rofl:

Kurt/Peti you are crazy. There are so many references I think I shall faint...I hope it isn't all like this or I am going to spend the rest of my life in the hospital :p

Haha I love it so far , Kurt ! You have no idea how honoured I am XD I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out :D Good luck , hermano !

My only regret is being only the third commenter! I know this shall be a truly enjoyable read, my friend. Don't forget to throw in a few shower scenes yourself ;).

Oohh, Stauffenberg, most intresting person in Nazi era of Germany. Awesome!

My only regret is being only the third commenter! I know this shall be a truly enjoyable read, my friend. Don't forget to throw in a few shower scenes yourself ;).

You mean fourth. ;)

I haven't read canonized's original Timelines, but I suppose I should. I'll be keeping up with this one as well- looks very complicated and very interesting.

The honor is mine! I subscribe!

Here I am, starting another AAR and going through that uncanny feeling when one faces an empty post, knowing the message that one wants to transmit but unable to write it down.

Lucky you, sometimes I don't even have that message until I write it down at the very last moment :D

You mean fourth. ;)

I haven't read canonized's original Timelines, but I suppose I should. I'll be keeping up with this one as well- looks very complicated and very interesting.

True enough. canonized slipped in while I was typing.

Although I should ask what happened to the last AAR, it is not bad to see you do some excellent writing anyway. :p Waiting to see more updates. ;)

This looks veery interesting! Suscribed!

Since I'm an impatient bugger with not enough self-discipline to wait for an explanation in upcoming updates I'm going to have to ask;

Did Stauffenberg save the world in your 2003 timeline or not? I ask because your student titles her work "What if Stauffenberg failed to save the world" and then goes on to sketch up a what if scenario in which he succeeded - implying that he did fail in the history of her timeline.

Or did I get it wrong?:confused:

Argh, the picture in the intro-post, it burns.

Good luck though.

This is Bad Ass Kurt, I'll be looking forward to reading this. I think you've captured the feeling of Timelines perfectly in the first post with the whole classroom day-dream sequence.

Now, how will the timepiece play into this story I wonder. I notice that there is no mention of the Nazi party in this alternate timeline. I'm very curious to see how this alternate set of events plays out.

I also had a chuckle with the Schumacher name, thoughts of Batman and Robin :rofl:

Glad to know it. I didn't want to make just a copy, but get something of the mood of Timelines in this AAR and make some kind of homage to Canonized's huge work. You'll see a bit more about it ;)

The role of the timepiece... as the story goes on, you'll see its role...

The Nazis, of course, are bound to appear. They are the best baddies one can find, so... In due course, they'll say "heil!".

About Batman and Robin... I had too much with Canonized's shower secenes... :D

"Paragon Interactive" - :rofl:

Kurt/Peti you are crazy. There are so many references I think I shall faint...I hope it isn't all like this or I am going to spend the rest of my life in the hospital :p

"Paragon"... indeed, my brain sometimes surprises me. Peti is surprised, too... BTW...

Not so many references, not so many. Just a bit... Relax and take it easy. It's written by me, so it will be easy to follow.:p

Haha I love it so far , Kurt ! You have no idea how honoured I am XD I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out :D Good luck , hermano !

If you (or anyone else) hated it so far, I'll be really worried!!!! :rofl:

I knew it... I knew it...

Oohh, Stauffenberg, most intresting person in Nazi era of Germany. Awesome!

Absolutely agree. Wait and see.

You mean fourth. ;)

Booooh!!!! Hurry! There are just 300,000 pages to read!!!! :rofl:

The honor is mine! I subscribe!

Welcome aboard!

Oh, I think I'm going to like this... :D

I hope so.

Lucky you, sometimes I don't even have that message until I write it down at the very last moment :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You got me, sir!

True enough. canonized slipped in while I was typing.

Let's burn the heretic!

Although I should ask what happened to the last AAR, it is not bad to see you do some excellent writing anyway. :p Waiting to see more updates. ;)

It's still going on, don't worry. I'll alternate between all of my on-going AARs. But, as it happened with the "Ab Urbe", I couldn't wait for more to put this out.

This looks veery interesting! Suscribed!

Since I'm an impatient bugger with not enough self-discipline to wait for an explanation in upcoming updates I'm going to have to ask;

Did Stauffenberg save the world in your 2003 timeline or not? I ask because your student titles her work "What if Stauffenberg failed to save the world" and then goes on to sketch up a what if scenario in which he succeeded - implying that he did fail in the history of her timeline.

Or did I get it wrong?:confused:

Oh, young impatient padawan... You got it, indeed.

As the history books see it, Stauffenberg did save the world by ending the war -as I will show in future chapters-, but, according to my sweet Katherine, he did not, as it had as a consequence the Syndicalist victory over Germany -which, after all, was bound to happen, anyway, as the situation was quite similar to OTL 1944- and the Syndie dominion over Europe.

She is going to write what she thinks it may had happened, had things developed the other way round...

Argh, the picture in the intro-post, it burns.

Good luck though.

Thank you, Trekkie! I see you are "very much in love" with Tom... :D

So far so good. I have tried reading Canonized's monster of an AAR, but I don't have the willpower to go through all 311 pages! Lucky for me, I can start at the beginning with this one. :)

Another thing, I hope to god that Klausing doesn't have to watch Batman and Robin in Schumacher’s office. :D

o_O

This is madness!

So is this a Kaiserreich AAR?

Anyway, it looks interesting; the intro certainly captured my interest.