• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
TheExecuter said:
I picked up on it. A prescient observation, that...one would wonder whether the debtor actually took hold of the gift offered or merely wished to 'hold on' to the promise of action rather than the substance thereof...but, such knowledge is generally not revealed to friends and neighbors...and we must, instead, look for the works of his sanctification to give us evidence of his acceptance of the manumission.

All that aside, I felt a surge of confidence in realizing that I correctly surmised that Natasha was not to be trusted...

Hanging off the cliff...
TheExecuter

You mean that Katarina can't be trusted XD Although Natasha is still up in the air , yeah ? XD

And I'm glad you picked up on the reference there ! There's also a part about it being an extraordinary event . The entrance of something signficant into History is a major theme of Timelines and Amatallah expounds it there as well .

EEK!

I forgot to welcome our newest member trekaddict!

Anyways, congratulations, I actually thought you were already a member, but it goes to prove that I don't know what's going on half of the time :D

Oh c'mon Natasha can be trusted, she a russian, and a good looking one to boot ;)

comagoosie said:
EEK!

I forgot to welcome our newest member trekaddict!

Anyways, congratulations, I actually thought you were already a member, but it goes to prove that I don't know what's going on half of the time :D

Oh c'mon Natasha can be trusted, she a russian, and a good looking one to boot ;)

She is Russian and good looking XD How does that make her trustworthy XD

[anchor=I7]
canonizedtheswert.png
[/anchor]

You’ve Been Canonized!: The Swert​

Good evening and welcome once again to You’ve Been Canonized! AARlander edition where we take an author and get to know more about them and their AAR ! I’m your host canonized , author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? and today’s guest is the usually reclusive The Swert author of ThundAAR from Down UndAAR – Australia, Imperialism and War . Let’s get to the questions !

Part I: I, Swert
A look at the crazy swertiness himself !

canonized: First , thank you and welcome to the programme ! For those of us who might be familiar with Your Swertiness , would you introduce yourself a little for us ?

The Swert: Hello all, i'm The Swert. My real name is a mystery but I'm a 20 year old university student in Melbourne, Australia.

canonized: How long have you been hanging out in AARland ?

The Swert: Well I found the forum about the same time I got EU2 in January 2007. After reading around and discovering AARland I used my first post to start my first aar. Feels so long ago now.

canonized: How has AARland treated you since then ?

The Swert: It was a very welcoming beginning, my first fan was DoW, but it hasn't always been so good. The EU2 forum slowly declined and so did the comments received. My Duchy of Athens AAR in particular went by seemingly unnoticed and forced me to abandon it. Having said this it's significantly my fault, I'm guilty of not commenting of other AARs and you can't expect to receive if you rarely give. Recently things have picked up though; my Knights aar won an award and my first fling outside of EU2 has shown me what a proper audience is like again. But these days I don't write for the comments or audiences, it's just a joy to put pen to paper.

canonized: As someone who's very in tune with the EU2 forum especially as its AARchivist , could you tell us a little bit about what you think will be the future of it and what we can do perhaps ?

The Swert: I like to think myself as somewhat of a champion of EU2, I'll keep writing there no matter what. But as librarian I have accumulated statistics which show its decline. It hasn't been sudden but a gradual process beginning even before EU3 was released. As of now there's only a handful of aars left, I had hoped we would reach the magical 1500 aars figure but it doesn't seem likely now. EU2 aars, if there aren't already, will be seen as a novelty and a curiosity. I am reminded when DoW dared to start an EU1 aar earlier this year, perhaps soon starting an EU2 aar will receive the same type of quizzical glaces.

canonized: What would you say motivates you to writing ?

The Swert: Simply playing and having imagination. It's odd; in this sort of sandbox game it's easy to get bored so I tend to give myself some sort of goal and roleplay. It sparks the interest and then when i finish playing a session I always find myself saying "that would make a good aar" It's actually a bit of a curse. I usually start a new game to offset my aar writing. The only games I play for more than a few hours are the ones I make interesting and then I get all these new ideas for aars despite the fact I’ve already got too many aars on my plate as it is. That's why some of my ideas can be delayed quite a while, they get interrupted by another idea.

canonized: Despite being a champion for EU2 , you're also expanding and dabbling in other areas ; most recently in HOI2 . How have these other areas been for you and what would you say are the major differences between these sub-fora and that of EU2 ?

The Swert: Yes I have recently ventured into HoI2 and have a plan to start a EU3 aar soon too, although it's interesting that after playing the EU series I was tossing up between getting CK or Vicky and yet got HoI2 instead. HoI2 presents some different aspects, the shorter timeframe, imo, makes it more suitable to a narrative or history book aar allowing more detail than EU2. Although I have noticed the HoI2's greater activity means that I need to update more often if I want my aar to stay on the first page or two, something i've been failing at recently. Also HoI2 has my own country in it which makes country selection easy and there's not too many Australian aars to compete with either

Part II: A Hermit’s Honesty
The Swert comments on his unlikely venture into Timelines

canonized: So I'm curious , as always , what your first impressions are of Timelines ?

The Swert: My first impressions were "what is this AAR that's cleaning up all the ACAs?" I went to check it out and, other than noticing it was a narrative, was completely put off by its size, pages of comments, and seemingly exclusive fan club. I quickly noticed the aar was far away from the game itself and at that time was not an aar that interested me.

canonized: Have those impressions changed over time ?

The Swert: Not greatly. I'm still rather scared of it and have avoided it for months and despite now having dabbled through it enough to understand its premise, which seems interesting, I doubt I will ever read much of it. Having spoken with the author though has made me realise that it is not written by some ACA-craving know-all, which by default the Tall-Poppy Syndrome had me believe. Hehe

canonized: Haha , well tell us about the portions that you have enjoyed in your time reading it , then . Anything that has struck you or you've found interesting ? Perhaps something for someone who is more into reading narratives ?

The Swert: Well from what I've read, you’ve designed it well and, if you choose to, can keep the audience guessing. Nobody knows what the mysterious Timepiece will do and this leaves the story very open-ended, It reminds me of Lost or something whereby the story gets more and more intricate as it’s dragged out.

canonized: Lost was definitely an inspiration ! As you mentioned earlier; Timelines has swept the ACAs in the EU3 Overall and EU3 Narrative categories each time it's been up . As an AARchivist for the ACA , did you have any observations and conclusions about this unique streak ?

The Swert: Well it is quite unique, I tried to draw some comparisons of it to Eagles of Avalon, an EU2 aar which came either first or second in the narrative category there for about 3 years straight. Timelines seems to brings several voters to the ACA who otherwise wouldn't vote but on the other hand I think it is a challenge, somewhat, to the rise of new AARs in the narrative category in EU3. Comagoosie for one said that he had avoided starting an EU3 narrative. I find it hard to see any aar knocking Timelines from its dominance unlike the Eagles of Avalon which had some stiff competition.

canonized: What makes you think it would be so hard ?

The Swert: It's an institution now. It's never wavered in activity and has the largest fanbase since probably Free Company. Unless it starts becoming stale or you become inactive I can't see anyone else winning at least the narrative category.

canonized: What kind of ReadAAR would you recommend Timelines to would you say ? Who would you say it would appeal to ?

The Swert: Somebody with the time to read it obviously, who is interested in alternate history and what-if scenarios and doesn't mind an AAR that is well removed from the gameplay. But then again, you can read it just for the interviews if you like, I've been doing that. It's interesting that my favourite aar is a pictorial comedy HOI2 aar, couldn't get much opposite really.

Part III: Advance Australia Fair !
Let’s take a look at The Swert’s latest AAR !

canonized: So you've made an Australian AAR which is relatively rare ! Tell us a little bit about why you chose to write one about Australia

The Swert: Well as I said before, I like to make games interesting and once interested I get ideas for AARs. My first game of HOI2 was with Australia, a minor like my first eu2 game. I read a tactic in the wiki for Australia which promoted invading the Balkans. I tried it and found it awfully fun and had to turn it into an aar. The concept was well received as the audience debated over the feasibility of such a strategy and the wisdom of the wiki author.

canonized: Obviously your national identity plays into it . Could you tell us a little bit about how it's factored into the way you feel about the AAR and the attitude you've taken with it ?

The Swert: It hasn't actually had a huge impact in terms of gameplay. I played it as I would any other but it did make it more enjoyable. Most Aussies like underdogs and in WW2 having the Aussies invading the Balkans replicates this sentiment. Also I've started a soundtrack based on Australian warsongs which I found whilst compiling the aar, I hope that they provide an Australian perspective on the war which is often overshadowed. They did for me at least.

canonized: Did you have any inspirations for your AAR ?

The Swert: Not particularly. I'm not that well read in the HOI2 forums but I do have the mention PostcAARds of Australia by Wolfhound, my favourite aar.

canonized: So your AAR could be best described as a history AAR with elements of gameplay with the screenshots . Why did you choose to use this particular style ?

The Swert: Indeed, I chose a history book aar because I had never really done one before but yet felt that HOI2 was well built for it. There's a lot of detail that can be added from troop movements to unit production which allows you to be a bit creative which is what led to my list of operations. And screenshots help keep the audience up-to-date as often slabs of text can be confusing. Everybody loves screenshots but only in moderation I think. I was actually somewhat inspired by your bonuses in Timelines and such to introduce the soundtrack and focal points which will expand as the aar grows and help break up the gameplay.

canonized: Well thank you ! the Balkans are perhaps an odd place for Australia to be considering when one thinks of Australia in WW2 , they might mostly think of the Pacific theatre . How has this twist worked out for you ?

The Swert: Well I don't want to mention too much as Japan has just declared war in my aar but it made the game a lot of fun. It managed to split the game logically into three parts taking the game all the way through to 1954, each a unique struggle for the Australians to cope with. I will give away that Australian soil will not escape invasion at some point.

canonized: What kind of AAR plans do you have after you finish this one ?

The Swert: Finish this one? Well that's ambitious in itself, it's only 1942! But I do have more ambitious plans which have been in the work (or rather on the back boiler) since the start of this year. The Book of St John will return and hopefully that will culminate with a grand narrative which I have begun already. I only fear that by the time I actually get around to releasing it the EU2 forum shall be dead.

canonized: Well we’d like to thank you again for being on the programme , The Swert , and we’d like to thank our audience for once again tuning in to our interview segment ! We hope to see you again next time ; good fight , good night !

season1spinefinal-Copy.jpg

Canonizations, Soundtrack and Other Bonuses

Season I

Chapter Summaries for Season I

Prologue and Chapter I: Perpignan

Chapter II: The Spanish Curia

Chapter III: Spanish Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire

Chapter IV: The Siege of London

Chapter V: Jerusalem

Chapter VI: The Far East

Chapter VII: Hashiba Hideyoshi

Bonus: Map of the World 1581

Chapter VIII: Deceived and Captured!

Guest Artist: Portrait of Antonio by Thistle

Chapter IX: Japan's Timepiece

Chapter X: Panzerkardinal

Bonus: Spy Focus: Sweet

Bonus: Interview with the Author

Chapter XI: Infiltration and Capture

Chapter XII: The Lions of Meissen

Chapter XIII: Mystery of Mecca

Chapter XIV: Maze of Mecca

Bonus: Author's Game Notes

Chapter XV: The Guardian

Chapter XVI: The Legacy of Ming

Chapter XVII: Of Wolves and Lions

Chapter XVIII: Schwarzschild

Chapter XIX: ZOMBIES?!

Chapter XX: San Francisco

Chapter XXI: Chinatown

Bonus: Profile on Marcus Councilman

Chapter XXII: Curse of the Broken Heart

Bonus: A Short History of the Panzerkardinal

Chapter XXIII: Confrontation at Little China

Easter Bonus: Rodrigo Preparing for the Ball

Chapter XXIV: Reunion

Chapter XXV: Silence

Chapter XXVI: Keys of the Royce Family

Chapter XXVII: Counter-Trap

Bonus: Guest Author Movie by thrashing mad

Chapter XXVIII: Voyage to China

Bonus: Lurker Day

Chapter XXIX: War!

Chapter XXX: Guangzhou

Chapter XXXI: Scarlet Academy

Chapter XXXII: Secrets

Chapter XXXIII: Beijing

Chapter XXXIV: Zio

Bonus: Behind the Scenes Look at Nia Obidos

Chapter XXXV: The House of the Rose

Chapter XXXVI: The Missing

Chapter XXXVII: Journey to the Timepiece

Chapter XXXVIII: The Black Box

Bonus: Second Impact Commemorative Placard

Chapter XXXVIX: Memories of Osaka

Chapter XL: Sudden Death

Pentecost Bonus: A Look at the Timepiece

Chapter XLI: Princes and Princesses

AARland Choice Awards Q1 2007 Victory Party Commemoration

Chapter XLII: Partners

Bonus: Lurker Day 2: The Overmind

Chapter XLIII: Christmas Climax

Chapter XLIV: Juggernaut

Chapter XLV: Treachery

Chapter XLVI: The Gift

Chapter XLVII: Resurrection

Chapter XLVIII: Survivor

[URL=http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7129071&postcount=811]Chapter XLIX: Disintegration of Memories
[/URL]

Chapter L: Butcher

Bonus: New Character Art Vote

Chapter LI: Destiny

Chapter LII: Cornered

Chapter LIII: Patriarchate

Chapter LIV: Choice

Chapter LV: Lord of Acid

Chapter LVI: Assassination

Bonus: Chuncolyte !

AARland Choice AwAARds Victory Party Q2 2007 Commemoration

Chapter LVII: The End Part I

Chapter LVIII: The End Part II

Inter-Season Showcase

Bonus: Guest Author History of the Panzerkardinal by JimboIX

Bonus: Guest Author Geneology of the Spanish Monarchs by Judas Maccabeus

Bonus: Guest Author Gunpowder Plot by English Patriot

Bonus Part I: Behind The Scenes at the Studio

Guest Artist: Portrait of the Panzerkardinal by Thistle

Chapter LIX: Appreciation

---

Last edited:
season2spinefinal-Copy.jpg

Canonizations, Soundtrack, and Other Bonuses

Season II

Prologue

Chapter LX: Investigation

Chapter LXI: Novgorod

Chapter LXII: Unlocked

Chapter LXIII: Siberia

Chapter LXIV: Success and Failure

Mini-Bonus: Taguchi Junno

Chapter LXV: Duty

Bonus: Map of Europe and the Near East Circa 1607

Chapter LXVI: The Golden

Mini-Bonus: Rule Espana Music Sheet

Chapter LXVII: Baghdad

Chapter LXVIII: The Last Piece

Illustration: The Artifacts in Perspective

Bonus Chapter 1: Enter Woodhouse

Chapter LXIX: The Key

Chapter LXX: Ambush

Bonus Chapter 2: Round of 16

AARland Choice AwAARds 2007 Q3 Victory Commemoration

Chapter LXXI: Return to Jerusalem

Chapter LXXII: Jerusalem Campaigns

Chapter LXXIII: Surprise Attack

Chapter LXXIV: Descent

Chapter LXXV: Treasure of Jerusalem

Bonus Chapter 3: Semi-Finals/The Date

Chapter LXXVI: The Twin

Bonus Chapter 4: Adolescence Apocalypse (Finale)

Chapter LXXVII: Offensive

Chapter LXXVIII: Retreat

Guest Author VILenin: Purgatory in the Eleventh Hour Chapter 1

Mini-Bonus: Battle for Jerusalem

Mini-Bonus: Dr. Ueda

Guest Author VILenin: Purgatory in the Eleventh Hour Chapter 2

Bonus: Focus on Madeleine de Fronsac

Chapter LXXIX: Scars

Guest Author VILenin: Purgatory In the Eleventh Hour Chapter 3

Chapter LXXX: Coming Back

A Timelines Christmas: Part 1

A Timelines Christmas: Part 2

A Timelines Christmas: Part 3

A Timelines Christmas: Part 4

A Timelines Christmas: Part 5

Timelines Christmas: Part 6

A Timelines Christmas: Part 7

Chapter LXXXI: Crossing the Atlantic

Chapter LXXXII: Close Your Eyes

Chapter LXXXIII: Vera Cruz

AARland Choice AwAARds Q4 Victory Commemoration

Chapter LXXXIV: Thugs

Chapter LXXXV: Race Against Time

Chapter LXXXVI: Into the Room

St. Valentine's Day Poetry: The Eternal Woman

St. Valentine's Day Poetry: The Sakura Crown

Chapter LXXXVII: The Signal

Chapter LXXXVIII: 1984

Guest Author VILenin: Purgatory in the Eleventh Hour Chapter 4 Part 1

Chapter LXXXIX: Aztec Magic

Bonus: Behind The Scenes with Canonized

Chapter XC: The Dead

Chapter XCI: The Living

Guest Author VILenin: Purgatory in the Eleventh Hour Chapter 4 Part 2

Chapter XCII: Progress

Chapter XCIII: Journey to the Heart of Darkness

Chapter XCIV: Maverick

Guest Author VILenin: Purgatory in the Eleventh Hour Chapter 5

Chapter XCV: Timepiece

Chapter XCVI: A Clear Choice

Chapter XCVII: Limbo

Director's Commentary: The Dante Arc

Chapter XCVIII: Lust

Chapter XCIX: Gluttony

Chapter C: Hoarders and Wasters

ACA 2008 Q1 Victory Commemoration

Chapter CI: The Wrathful and Sullen

Chapter CII: The Heretics

Chapter CIII: The Violent Against Neighbor

Chapter CIV: The Suicides

Chapter CV: The Violent Against God, Nature, and Art

Mini Bonus: The Wolves

Chapter CVI: Monster of Fraud

Chapter CVII: Malebolge Part I

Chapter CVIII: Malebolge Part II

Chapter CIX: Malebolge Part III

Chapter CX: Malebolge Part IV

Chapter CXI: Malebolge Part V

Chapter CXII: The Traitors

Chapter CXIII: Satan

Inter-Season Showcase II

Bonus: Guest Author Emperor of the East by Calipah

ACA Q2 2008 Victory Commemoration

Bonus: Behind the Scenes with Canonized Installment II

Guest Author English Patriot: Chapter 1: Set Sail!

Guest Author Estonianzulu: The Land of the Free

Guest Author General_BT: Emperor of the West

Briefing: Lagrangian Points

Mini-Bonus: The Ending Summer

A Murmurandus Testimonial: How canonized ruined my life

Guest Author phargle: The Villa

Bonus: Trial and Error Day 1

Guest Author Grubnessul: VIVE LA REVOLUTION

Last edited:
season3spinefinal-Copy.jpg

Canonizations, Soundtrack, and Other Bonuses

SEASON III

Prologue Part I Part II Part III Part IV

Chapter CXIV: The Dutch Revolt

Chapter CXV: A Meeting

Bonus: The Pilgrim's Son

Chapter CXVI: Just War

Mini-Bonus: Map of the Middle East Situation

Chapter CXVII: Accident of Death

Chapter CXVIII: Abduction

Chapter CXIX: The Face

AARland Choice AwAARds Q3 2008 Victory Commemoration

Chapter CXX: Homeostasis

Chapter CXXI: Scream!

Chapter CXXII: Blood

Chapter CXXIII: Homecoming

Chapter CXXIV: Run!

Chapter CXXV: Familiar

Chapter CXXVI: New Neighbors

Chapter CXXVII: A Visit

Chapter CXXVIII: Whip!

Chapter CXXIX: English Civil War

Chapter CXXX: Assault of the Grenadiers

Chapter CXXXI: Rescue?

Chapter CXXXII: Escape!

Chapter CXXXIII: Chase

Chapter CXXXIV: Warfare

Chapter CXXXV: Spies

Chapter CXXXVI: The Fire

Chapter CXXXVII: Arrest

Chapter CXXXVIII: Parents

Chapter CXXXIX: Recognizing Faces

Chapter CXL: It's A Trap!

Chapter CXLI: Secret Tunnels

Chapter CXLII: Counter-Attack

Chapter CXLIII: Sickness Unto Death

Chapter CXLIV: Decisive Confrontation

Chapter CXLV: Night of the Departed

Chapter CXLVI: Awareness

Chapter CXLVII: The Excommunicated / Kingdom

Chapter CXLVIII: Toy

Chapter CXLIX: Foundation / Late Repentant

Timelines "ME" Special: Prologue

Timelines "ME" Special: Part I: The Kill

Timelines "ME" Special: Part II: The Colonel

Timelines "ME" Special: Part III: Lion of Meissen

Timelines "ME" Special: Part IV: Truth

Timelines "ME" Special: Part V: Liverpool

Chapter CL: Rocroi / Schenkhuizen

Chapter CLI: Majesty / The Proud

Chapter CLII: The Woodhouse Dynasty

Chapter CLIII: Victory/Envy

Chapter CLIV: Call for Help

Chapter CLV: Beauty/Wrath

Chapter CLVI: Barcelona

Chapter CLVII: Strength/Sloth

Chapter CLVIII: Another One Bites the Dust (Battle of the Dunes)

Chapter CLIX: The Father

Chapter CLX: Loving Kindness

Chapter CLXI: Belmont

Chapter CLXII: Natasha/Katja/Lilith

Chapter CLXIII: The Body

Last edited:
Chapter 16 Summary: Legacy of Ming

Davout's Salient Facts said:
Chapter 16 Legacy of Ming

Then Time: Renault is a prisoner, brought before the true guardians. The guardians try to interrogate Renault to no avail. Renault asks them to give him the Black Stone to keep it from the "others" - wolves who seek to end this world. One of the guardians gets too close and Renault McGyvers to freedom just as he hears an explosion and gunfire from the approaching wolves.

Antonio's team takes up position outside the Yakuza compound. Isabella does some showboating, making Simon Tan use a 16th Century smoothbore to snipe a lantern and set the compound alight. I swear, that woman would be a nightmare to date - forget the fancy umbrellas and just KILL the guards already. Nia would have despatched them with nary a sound and still have time for a gratuitous shower scene - but I get ahead of myself. Anyway, the team is making short work of the henchmen as Mori and Ming drive away. Ming has left a wolf man/Jin Roh as a surprise for Antonio.

Cardinal De Witt hears the Timurids have declared war but is not concerned. Half the world is Spanish and he is contemplating the next move against Ming China. The Cardinal is concerned about their remoteness from Spanish resources and their vast manpower. He then learns of an economic anomaly with multiple centres of trade spawning throughout China.

Now Time: Rodrigo and Tom are bored. Rodrigo complains about a bug in HU III with COT's spawning everywhere, when Rodrigo receives a mysterious call, mentioning his secret name of Janus and that the wolves are at the door.

Game Concepts: The Wolves are first mentioned here although they are developed in far greater detail later. They are not of this time and place. Their object is to end or at least alter the existing world/timeline.

Post modern in game jokes: COT bugs from a pre-NA patch to EU3. Jin Roh - Japanese anime, coincidentally on SBS Australia this week. BRIC - a modern economics acronym for the main modern emerging markets in Brazil, Russia, India and China.

Shower scenes: Nada.

Chapter XVI said:
“My friends will come for me,” Renault spoke to them in Latin, hoping to continue the ruse that the lingua franca was the only way they could communicate with each other, “But we do not wish to harm any of you. We simply wish to attain the artifact that is buried here…”

“The treasure of the Black Stone?” the deep voice asked sternly back in that language, “that is impossible! We have been protecting this place for generations. That object is too dangerous!”

“Yes,” Renault replied leaning back on his seat, “I know how dangerous it is. But that is why I am here. With the resources of the Empire I represent, it will be safe with us. There will be men coming for your artifact soon and I have been tasked to bring it to safety because you will be overrun.”

27 October 1582

Scene 1: Renault is blindfolded and led into a chamber by the “keepers” of the underground maze in Mecca. They attempt to interrogate him and ask him about how many of him there are. Renault is trying to explain to them that the “Treasure of the Black Stone” would be safe in Spanish hands instead of being protected by the outdated men of the maze. The interrogation is interrupted by explosions and the sound of gunshots. The scene ends with the indication that those invading the maze are “the wolves.”

Scene 2: Jakob is in a sniping position on a branch outside the compound of the Oedo household (the yakuza that injured the boy and left him for dead in the previous episode). Sweet is on the rooftops making his way to the compound. Isabella is moving across the street with an umbrella. She throws up a lamp in the air and Jakob shoots it from afar and forces a propellant to explode across the outside buildings of the compound setting them afire. Antonio, Isabella, Sweet, and Jakob (in sniping position) take out the guards and infiltrate the compound easily.

A distance from the growing fire, Master Ming and Mori Ranmaru (the two operators of the Chinese and Japanese Silent Rooms respectively) are discussing how they left a “Wolf-Man” to deal with Antonio at the compound as they speed away in their carriage.

Scene 3: Cardinal DeWitt is receiving reports in the Silent Room. The Timurids have declared war. War with Persia was progressing well and already the major cities of Islam were in Christian hands. The Cardinal also notices the vast domains of the Ming which extend from Manchuria to the Champa. There are also reports of massive economic growth in Brazil, Russia, India, and China.

Interlude

Rodrigo is protesting about a bug in Hispania Universalis III that has trade centers popping up all over the place in China. The phone rings and Rodrigo answers. The person on the other end calls him Janus and Rodrigo asks who he is. The person on the other side says that he is the wolf that’s come to eat him.

Chapter 17 Summary: Of Wolves and Lions (coming soon)

Last edited:
Well now I've been canonized I suppose I should stop lurking and make my first post here. Thanks for the interview canonized. I thought I said my name was a mystery but that picture sort of gives it away. :p

Glad to see the summaries continuing

Thank you , sir :D

Well now I've been canonized I suppose I should stop lurking and make my first post here. Thanks for the interview canonized. I thought I said my name was a mystery but that picture sort of gives it away. :p

Haha , wasn't it a great pic ? XD Was great to have you on the programme ! Hope to see you pop by every now and then , yeah ? :D

aarlander_dec08_c.jpg

NEW AARLANDER IS UP go check it out , folks :D

And please follow the link at the top of it to comment on it !​

Chapter 17 Summary: Of Wolves and Lions

Davout's Salient Facts said:
And now, for something completely different...

Chapter 17 Of Wolves and Lions

Then Time: Renault de Fraonsac escapes the interrogation room during the confusion of the wolves' attack. He sees what we know to be a modern flamethrower and hears semi-automatic gunfire. He heads deeper into the complex to where the Timepiece is kept on a dais. After carefully lifting the Timepiece, quicksand rushes in. Renault improvises a platform from the candle holders and floats above the rising sand, up to a corridor in the roof which leads to the surface.

Antonio and gang confront the Yakuza leader, Oedo, after laying waste to the stronghold. A foreign samurai with a Chinese sword enters. Jakob de Witt confronts the foreign wolf man with a pistol and a mail glove. The wolf man tricks Jakob into shooting too soon. As he advances with his sword, Jakob throws the mail glove at the wolf man who parries it with his sword. The sparks ignite gunpowder in the glove which explodes. The shrapnel kills the wolf man.

Cardinal de Witt congratulates Renault. Renault asks to go to California to investigate mistreatment of the natives. He is to meet another agent, Agent 99, sorry, Carmen, in San Diego who will help with the investigation. The Schwarzschild Guild are the first to be investigated.
Now time: Fr Francis and Duke Jimenes discuss the anachronistic munitions (S Ind bullet) found in the Mecca chambers.

Rodrigo is evasive about the mysterious phone call. He goes to speak to the Lions officer in charge, Capt. de Witt. Tom traces the call back to Schwarzschild Industries.
Game Concepts: Obviously Schwarzschild is not just a coincidence.

Post modern in game jokes: Indiana Jones reference to removel of timepiece (lots of Indy jokes with Renault), Where in the world is Carmen San Diego (pre-teen computer game from the 1980's).

Shower scenes: Move along, nothing to see here.

Chapter XVII said:
Jakob made careful aim towards the head of the shadow and discharged his weapon. The painting burst into a gaping hole and came to a wafting halt in the middle of the room. The sound of the bullet was greeted by another wheezing laugh. The clever veiled man had used the candlelight to project his shadow onto the back of the painting which he threw forward. In fact, he had stayed near the rear of the room and pretended to run towards Jakob. Jakob’s single shot was used.

28 October 1582

Scene 1: In the confusion of the attack by the “Wolves” (which includes flamethrowers), Renault escapes his captors (he had cut his rope with his crucifix from his rosary) and made his way to the heart of the labyrinth where the Timepiece is being held on a central dais. There was light streaming down onto the piece from above and he deduces it’s from a complex set of mirrors through tunnels that brought the sunlight inside. He figures that he’s been through the trials of Water and Fire so Earth would be next. He takes the Timepiece and the chamber closes and sand begins to enter into the chamber—quicksand to be exact.

He takes the four candle poles from the dais area and puts them together crudely. He lays back on the rushing quicksand and allows his superior buoyancy with the poles to push him upward. He escapes through the light hole at the top.

Scene 2: Antonio, Isabella, Sweet, and Jakob now enter the main hall of the Oedo household where the head of the house is. They have defeated the guards. The man tries to make his escape and Sweet goes after him, but they are not alone in the room. There is a man with Chinese weaponry in the room as well and Jakob offers to take care of him. Jakob readies his pistol and a chain mail glove. From the range, if he fired too early, it would probably miss with just a pistol.

The opponent grabs a triptych from the side of the room and charges forward. Jakob is unable to see where the man is hiding behind it as the picture approaches him. Jakob shoots through the triptych, but misses. The assassin puts aside the protective visual shield and trains his Chinese sword at Jakob who remains calm. Jakob throws his glove at the incoming man who arrogantly slices aside the metal glove with his sword.

The sparks from the sword hitting the chainmail at high speed ignites the gunpowder within. Jakob jumps behind a pillar (and the others hide as well) as the small explosions goes off. It is not the explosion that kills the man but the shrapnel created by the main links on the chainmail spreading outwards at a high velocity.

11 January 1583

Scene 3: Renault returns with high praise and is debriefed by the Cardinal. He is given a new assignment after the Cardinal reports that there have been disturbing reports from the West of America about the treatment of the natives. Renault is told that he’ll have a female contact named Carmen who happens to be stationed in San Diego. He will go to California and investigate the Schwarzschild Guild and their practices with the natives.

Interlude

Scene 1: Father Xavier is looking at the bullet that was recovered from Mecca as he and the Duke are on a plane. He confirms for Duke Jimenes that this is truly the real deal, it is a bullet from the 1940s found in a centuries old crypt. “S. Ind” is inscribed on the bullet and they both wonder what it means.

Scene 2: Tom asks Rodrigo who it was on the phone, but Rodrigo refuses to answer. Rodrigo asks the name of the leader of the men who are in charge of protecting them and Tom recalls his name to be DeWitt (rank of Captain). Rodrigo leaves and Tom is curious about the phone call so he dials *69. Schwarzschild Industries Telecom switchboard responds.

Chapter 18 Summary: Schwarzschild (coming soon)

Last edited:
Good lord, as much as I respect this AAR. . .

It is incredibly intimidating to get into! :eek:

Haha don't worry , I'm well aware of this XD hence why I've been spamming the chapter summaries XD But I do hope you pick it up ! :D

I'm back after a long time! I finally managed to catch up. All of the chapters of season 3 have been wonderful. The tense and dark atmosphere you've been building it's magnificent. Excellent work canonized!
Btw, yesterday I met the author of the Capitán Alatriste books :D

I'm back after a long time! I finally managed to catch up. All of the chapters of season 3 have been wonderful. The tense and dark atmosphere you've been building it's magnificent. Excellent work canonized!
Btw, yesterday I met the author of the Capitán Alatriste books :D

Huzzah :D I'm very glad you're enjoying it ! And i'm so jealous ! First you have a Dante seminar and now you've met the author ! You need to tell us all about it ;.;