• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Grubnessul said:
I thought she wore that in the first place :p

It definitely makes the character that much more interesting...doesn't it? :p

Grubnessul said:
I thought she wore that in the first place :p

ROFL yes , but it depends on the shape of it too , right ? XD

AlexanderPrimus: ROFL , blame the Dutch !!

Eber: oy not you too XD My poor Madeleine !

robou said:
Whoa there, not until i have finished my current AAR. Now don't you go getting me hooked! :p

Haha , alright alright XD

ForzaA: I'm working on it , boss XD

Just a status report folks ! Going to have our interview this evening and then I'll be planning on an update sometime Friday since I'll be packing and moving back home in between then . Hope you all are having a good week ^^

Excellent! Looking forward to the interview!

English Patriot said:
Excellent! Looking forward to the interview!

Here it comes XD

comagoosie: Snugglie XD

canonizedsnugglie.png

You’ve Been Canonized!: Snugglie​

Good evening everyone and welcome once again to this week’s You’ve Been Canonized! segment here on Timelines where we take patron authors and get to know more about them , their thoughts on Timelines , and about their current AAR or project . If you’re new to the show , I’m your host canonized author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? and today’s guest is our new friend Snugglie author of Lotharingia -- A tale of resurrection . Let’s get it on !

Part I: Snugglie the Swede
Snugglie tells us a bit about himself !

canonized: First I'd like to thank you for joining us on the programme ! Could you introduce yourself a little bit for us ?

Snugglie: Well, I'd like to thank you! To be honest, I'm still rather surprised that I'm here.
Well, what is there to say. I am 17 years old, turning 18 in mid-September, I live in a small town in southern-most Sweden but go to school in a town 75 minutes away, equaling a lot of commuting. Sadly, commuting is one of the most prominent features of my regular life. The other feature is studying, I go to the IB and have thus married homework. And apart from these my interests are stereotypical, being friends; movies; history and girlfriend.

canonized: What first attracted you to paradox games and how did you come upon the forum ?

Snugglie: Well, I bought EUII about four years ago, and spent two years playing it, doing nothing but cheat and create a Swedish empire time and again. Then, when I started in Lund -- where I go to high school now -- a guy in the class was playing it a lot, and to my surprise, he did NOT spam money-cheats all the time. So with a few advices from him I got around to play again, and since then it's escalated. The forums I actually don't know. It just sort of happened, when I was looking around for graphic-mods for AGCEEP to EUII -- I'm a sucker for graphics.

canonized: How did you eventually make the transition into AARland ?

Snugglie: That's another thing I barely have any idea about. Once again, it just sort of happened. A guy in the class above of me showed me a print-out of a fanfic of his, although it was written for Warhammer 40k. Since I was in a Paradox-spree by then, it just sort of clicked, I had eyed through AARland a few times before (and those times I noticed this thing called "Timelines" that surpassed everything else in readers and views...). So there I was.

canonized: Your writing style is mostly one of narrative , why did you choose this particular venue to express your AAR ?

Snugglie: If I could, I would write some sort of epic comedy that would be remembered forever, for those are the AAR's that I enjoy the very most. But I've realized that my way of writing suits narrative better, since I love painting up sceneries and happenings in my mind. Trying to convey these in text is a challenge, and it's something I enjoy very much. Then also, if I ever get around to actually write a real book, which I hope I will, narrative is the way it is done.

canonized: Would you say that your IB path and studies have affected the content or style of your writing ?

Snugglie: That is a tough question actually. Most of our history-hours are spent on the 20th century, but I do have two fellows in the class that I discuss history and the absurdities of it on most of our spare-time in school, and that surely stimulates my history-interest even more. When it comes to the style I think there's quite an influence; English is not my native language, and through speaking it 70% of each day, my vocab and language has developed noticeably.

canonized: Do you plan on pursuing writing in the future or what might your plans be with your talents in creative literature ?

Snugglie: If I could plot my path in life right here and right now, I would one day sit somewhere in Britain in a dusty history-faculty of some university, writing books like the ones that Conn Iggulden and Valerio Massimo Manfredi writes. That's something of my dream. But before I manage -- if I manage -- to get published, I plan on keeping it as a hobby. And where is it better and more enjoyable to do that than in AARland?

Part II: “This thing called Timelines”
Snugglie gives us a few words on his thoughts on Timelines .

canonized: What are your first impressions as you've started reading Timelines ?

Snugglie: My absolutely first thought was that "this could've been a book": it's a very rich narrative and skillfully weaved together with the Interludes. That creates a mysticism that makes you curious already at Chapter III.

canonized: Well thank you ! The length must also be daunting to look at , what would you say for someone who might be afraid of starting it because of how long it is now ?

Snugglie: Mainly: don't rush it. It's a huge piece of text, and to follow all turns and happenings you will do best taking it easy. Read it and enjoy it, and accept the fact that you will not have caught up with it until Christmas. But at least then you've got a whole lot of good stuff to read until December.

canonized: As you've noticed from starting on Timelines , the story is split up into two recurring portions each chapter: the main chapter in the past and the present-day interludes in the alternate timeline present . What are your thoughts on this device ?

Snugglie: I think it is a very interesting feature, especially when the two are inter-linked. There is always the risk that the reader will be confused by it, but when used in a good way it gives much more depth to the story. And in Timelines it adds yet more to the mysticism of the whole piece, which is definitely a very good thing.

canonized: So tell us a little bit why you find the mysticism in Timelines appealing ? What in particular has caught your interest ?

Snugglie: The whole thing with the Timepiece. Something that affects both past and present in such a significant manner must be very powerful, and then you start wondering what it might be. It's an excellent way to tell a story, to have it revolve around one special mystery.

canonized: Part of that mystery means that we usually don't focus on major politicians or kings of the era but mostly about the actors behind the scenes . How is this difference affecting your reading ?

Snugglie: A Swedish historian once said that "The history of Sweden is not only its kings, but its farmers, soldiers and potters also." I think there is much truth in that, for without grey eminences no politics would be made, and without peasants there would be neither soldiers nor grain. So in that way, Timelines is actually a refreshing take on history-writing.

canonized: We've also attempted to try and add some Easter Egg references and jokes into the work so as to help it along , did you pick up on any of those ?

Snugglie: I've probably missed most of them, but there was one that had me laughing for as long as an hour after I read it... it was an example of Antonio's bad Japanese, when he stated that the Japanese should co-operate with the Spaniards or "all your base are belong to us." That was grand.

canonized: Haha yes that was a fun one . Lastly for this section , any guesses on what the Timepiece is ?

Snugglie: Not really. Judging from its name I would guess some sort of time-travelling device, but if I didn't have a name on it I would not have any clue at all.

Part III: The Country with the Cool name .
Snugglie tells us a bit about his Lotharingian tale .

canonized: Most of the CK AARs I read are usually involved around the states in the Mediterranean , although that might just be my bias . Any particular reason you chose a German state ?

Snugglie: It is actually the first time I play a state that is non-Britain and non-Scandinavian, the Mediterranean has never felt as appealing. The reason... well, the main reason is because I've got a small fetish for defunct kingdoms, I'm the sort of person that plays Leon in EUII and Quebec Nordiques in hockey-games. Thus, Lotharingia. And the main reason I picked Lotharingia instead of some other defunct kingdom is because honestly, it sounds really cool.

canonized: Haha , yes it does . Any particular research you did before you started writing this ?

Snugglie: A Wikipedia-article to write the historical background, in else nothing. I don't really know anything about German medieval history, so I am mainly improvising.

canonized: Your AAR has , naturally , the spects we've come to love of CK : intrigue , crusades , botched assassination attempts , insurrection . What can you say about these and other aspects that keep your AAR fresh ?

Snugglie: All since I was around 12 years of age I've been of the opinion that there is no reason for me to write, if I can't keep any potential reader constantly interested. It's a little like theatre, in order to keep the audience awake you need to keep things rolling in a high speed. So thus I try to get at least something significant to happen in every chapter, and above all: in real history, nothing every works out perfectly. Then it should not work out perfectly in fiction either, it's so much funnier to create a story when things go off the track already in the beginning -- such as the rebellion of the three dukes.

canonized: Speaking of the three Dukes , you also put up pictures and graphics that you've tailored to fit your AAR and the AAR format . Take us a little bit behind the scenes at how you manufacture your graphics and maps , please .

Snugglie: Well, I would like to start out with saying that yes, I do have Photoshop. I am however completely inept at using it. The graphics all go into what I mentioned above, to keep the audience interested by throwing sweets at them now and then. The maps started out as a merely factual thing, to demonstrate the borders; then it evolved into me sitting with MS Paint -- you heard me, MS bloody Paint -- editing pixel by pixel. After having done a template in MS Paint I import it into Gimp and there give it the texture. Most of it is actually just copy-paste, but my latest maps are something I'm proud of, although none of them have been published yet. I guess it all goes down to a sort of nerdiness combined with stubbornness.

canonized: You also give your audience some choices in how they'd like you to execute the AAR or graphics and things like that . Tell us a little bit about the interactive nature of your work ?

Snugglie: There are two reasons that I am writing: the first one is that I enjoy it, and that the escapism of fiction and ancient times is a marvelous alternative to the grey casual day of the 21st century. The second is that I want people to read my work and, most of all, appreciate it. A work is never better than its readers in my opinion, and if my readers have got any suggestions on what I could do to make them enjoy it more, I will try to implement it. If they're happy, so am I.

canonized: Do you have any previews for your fans who might be wondering what's going to happen next ?

Snugglie: Let's just say that the Holy Land will take a turn slightly different from what happened in real life.

canonized: Lastly , any future AAR plans after this one ?

Snugglie: Well... If I say that I aim towards creating a mega-campaign, I will never end up doing it. But if possible, the history of Lotharingia will go on for as long as possible. And in my own eyes, there is no reason within foreseeable future -- except for possible lack of time -- to make me want to stop writing AAR's. I say as Arnold: "I'll be back".

canonized: And that’s all our questions for today ! Thank you Snugglie for being on the programme and we’d like to thank our audience for tuning in once more ! I hope you’re all having a wonderful summer and please tune in to the thread for more interviews each week ! That’s all for our programme this time , see you next time , and in the meantime , stay tuned for more Timelines: Fair , Balanced , and Unafraid !

Comrade Canonized,
This work is of high quality. It has been noted by Moscow center. While some of your ideas do not conform with the Scale of Norms set down by our glorious leader (strange monsters are a Re-education offence as it scares the illiterate populace ;) ) but many of your ideals set a good example of what our glorious motherland expects from its scale of Issues! Urrah! No re-education needed.
Report Filed
NKVD Warden
Viktor :p

^^ seriously? :confused:

anyways, interview. Snugglie is lucky enough that there are people that he can actually touch that knows what he is talking about when he says "Paradox, EU3...AARland"

Man I wish I was him.

Thanks again for the interview canonized, it was indeed very nice! I will try to live up to the honour that an interview brings with it.

comagoosie said:
^^ seriously? :confused:

anyways, interview. Snugglie is lucky enough that there are people that he can actually touch that knows what he is talking about when he says "Paradox, EU3...AARland"

Man I wish I was him.
Those are very kind words there, comagoosie. Thank you very much, and hope you'll have a look at Lotharingia! ;)

Viktor_NKVD said:
Comrade Canonized,
This work is of high quality. It has been noted by Moscow center. While some of your ideas do not conform with the Scale of Norms set down by our glorious leader (strange monsters are a Re-education offence as it scares the illiterate populace ;) ) but many of your ideals set a good example of what our glorious motherland expects from its scale of Issues! Urrah! No re-education needed.
Report Filed
NKVD Warden
Viktor :p

ROFL . Thank you XD ... comrade XD and welcome to Timelines ! I do hope you enjoy your stay and stick around :D . Please do tell us what you think as you go by :D

Snugglie: Was a great pleasure to have you on :D

comagoosie: ROFL , I know what you mean . This is why I should move to England and get a flat with EP and go to school with DerKaiser and go across the channel to visit AF har har har . Declan's invited too XD

demokratickid: Glad you enjoyed it , sir ! :D

Last edited:
canonized said:
comagoosie: ROFL , I know what you mean . This is why I should move to England and get a flat with EP and go to school with DerKaiser and go across the channel to visit AF har har har . Declan's invited too XD
I would rather be isolated, paradoxians scare me sometimes. Though people who play paradox's game *hopefully* wouldn't be scary it is just the people who register here who are.

Benevolent Comrade,
The red stars at Moscow center allow me to pass comment. The character known as Wilem has many of the values that our Glorious leaders believe more of the landess Russians should show, though i personally believe he must have recieved NKVD training at some point to have such values that are in line with the scale of issues.
Report Filed
NKVD Warden
Viktor

comagoosie said:
I would rather be isolated, paradoxians scare me sometimes. Though people who play paradox's game *hopefully* wouldn't be scary it is just the people who register here who are.

ROFL especially OTers , eh ?

Viktor_NKVD: haha , Willem , eh ? Yeah he's a good chap XD

Working on our friday scheduled update !