• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
comagoosie said:
It sounded familiar, but I wasn't sure, so I went the crowd. My excuse... "I didn't want to sound stupid (too) " :D

Haha that's no problem XD

Grubnessul: convenient indeed !!! XD

comagoosie said:
It sounded familiar, but I wasn't sure, so I went the crowd. My excuse... "I didn't want to sound stupid (too) " :D

Feareth myself this situation I wouldn't dareth to ever post :D

Oh, BTW, Canonized, Peti sends his regards to you, too, but suggest that, next time, instead of sending him your regards, even if he likes them a lot, he would rather prefer some pizzas :D

Repeated.... :(

Kurt_Steiner said:
Feareth myself this situation I wouldn't dareth to ever post :D

Oh, BTW, Canonized, Peti sends his regards to you, too, but suggest that, next time, instead of sending him your regards, even if he likes them a lot, he would rather prefer some pizzas :D

Haha . Pizzas .. gosh this is like teenage mutant ninja turtles all over again XD

Just a status report , now that we have our update up I plan on giving a little quiz on it this evening to help keep things cohesive amongst the readers in case they forget anything XD

I'm also going to be releasing another update late in the week since we're still on Finals Season I'm not going to be updating as much as before but i'm sure you all can understand XD

Interview is on schedule and AARlander is on schedule !

comagoosie said:
I hope one of the questions is:

What is Pablo's last name?

Other than that I don't know how good I will do :D

EDIT: because your quizzes are hard :D

Haha , well here's the quiz XD .

POP QUIZ !

Test your Timelines acumen against your peers and let's see how you do !

Part I: Multiple Choice

1. What's Pablo last name ? (an easy one for comagoosie XD)
a. Roxas
b. Van Axel
c. de Fronsac
d. Aznable

2. The School soldiers are addicted to _______ while Pablo is addicted to _______ .
a. cocaine, heroin
b. opium, cocaine
c. heroin, cocaine
d. World of Warcraft, EU:Rome

3. What special item was used to save Raul from the drop?
a. a parasol
b. a cloth parachute
c. an inflatable pad
d. pizza

4. What is blocking our Heroes path to the next circle?
a. A statue of King Minos, who judges the damned to their appropriate circle
b. A machine of Cerberus, the three headed hound of Hell
c. A machine of Geryon, the human faced beast of fraud
d. The Server is Too Busy At the Moment. Try Again Later

Part II: Short Answer

5. Explain the meaning of contrapasso. You may use your textbooks (google XD)

6. What was Madeleine's explanation as to why the circles of "Upper Hell" (the first five circles) would equate to traps of endurance?

Essay Questions (you may choose ONE of the following . Doing more will count for extra credit and may win you some fanservice - wink - )

A: The Author , while adapting Timelines chapters to correspond to the various circles of Dante's Hell , can easily apply what Dante saw as failings of his native Florence to the failings of his modern society . In light of the chapter on the Gluttons , Explain how the author of Timelines corresponds Dante's sins with those of the world he lives and what it says about the nature of the sin of gluttony . Is it necessarily the overuse of food ? What architectural instances in the text can you say to back up your answer ?

B: Explain in as much detail as you can the contrapasso of the Neutrals , the Lustful , and the Gluttons .

C: Explain the significance of the scenes concerning Arturo and José and specifically how it relates to the thematic elements in both the journey underground and the situations in the 'present' time .

*yawn, 11:11 pm here. I will do half and do the other in the morning*

1. hmm...it's a toughy. A
2. I don't know my drugs too well, but I remember that Opium has been used throughout the ages. B
3. A, yeah I know I changed my answer, but I did this late at night.
4. B

(placeholder *yawn*)

Last edited:
canonized said:

POP QUIZ !

a. Roxas
b. Van Axel
c. de Fronsac
d. Aznable

2. The School soldiers are addicted to _______ while Pablo is addicted to _______ .
a. cocaine, heroin
b. opium, cocaine
c. heroin, cocaine

a. a parasol
b. a cloth parachute
c. an inflatable pad
d. pizza

6. What was Madeleine's explanation as to why the circles of "Upper Hell" (the first five circles) would equate to traps of endurance?

Essay Questions (you may choose ONE of the following . Doing more will count for extra credit and may win you some fanservice - wink - )

A: The Author , while adapting Timelines chapters to correspond to the various circles of Dante's Hell , can easily apply what Dante saw as failings of his native Florence to the failings of his modern society . In light of the chapter on the Gluttons , Explain how the author of Timelines corresponds Dante's sins with those of the world he lives and what it says about the nature of the sin of gluttony . Is it necessarily the overuse of food ? What architectural instances in the text can you say to back up your answer ?

B: Explain in as much detail as you can the contrapasso of the Neutrals , the Lustful , and the Gluttons .

C: Explain the significance of the scenes concerning Arturo and José and specifically how it relates to the thematic elements in both the journey underground and the situations in the 'present' time .

1. A
2. C (honorable mention to D for humor...)
3. A
4. B
5. Contrapasso is the process by which souls serve penance in Dante's Inferno according to the nature of their sins in life. A literal translation would be "counter-suffering". It is the ironic cosmological law ensuring that "the punishment fits the crime".
6. These circles represent the contrapasso for temptations which must be resisted by the will. Thus, to succeed, the adventuror must conquer his own destructive will and perservere through the obstacles.

Essays later, when I am not up late watching sad movies!

TheExecuter

Haha not bad entries so far XD . Won't comment too much on coma or executer's stuff until they finish it XD

Lotus-6 said:
I would tell you that milton is where the proverbial money is at but I dare not, lest I appear NIGGARDLY!

ROFL . Milton's not bad . nothing like Dante though .

jeffg006: ROFL . Gosh , should i have expected less XD

canonized said:

POP QUIZ !

a. Roxas
b. Van Axel
c. de Fronsac
d. Aznable

a. cocaine, heroin
b. opium, cocaine
c. heroin, cocaine

a. a parasol
b. a cloth parachute
c. an inflatable pad
d. pizza

1. D
2. C (D would be likely if the soldiers were not somewhere in the jungle, noway they have enough internet acces there :p)
3. A (Tho the should have D together when they're out of the Hell)
4. B (D is to evil for this circle of the Hell, that'll probably be at the very bottom :p)
5. contrapasso would seem to be the process of being punished for your sins by undergoing the very sin itself by suffering from the consequences or opposite of the sin. The punishment is (asfar as I understood Wikipedia :p) maintained by repeating the sin over and over again.
6. The upper circles consists of traps of endurement because the sins that are punished in those circles are sins of weakness, of "taking the easier path"

Essay: will probably come later, tho I'll do only one, I think I've enough credit already here with my spamming :p

I won't bother answering the multiple choices as they have already be done to death, although I have a sneaking suspicion Pablo's surname may actually be Escobar given the last chapter.

As for the conept of contrepasso, I prefer the G&S's explanation:

My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time —
To let the punishment fit the crime —
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment!
Of innocent merriment!

B: Explain in as much detail as you can the contrapasso of the Neutrals , the Lustful , and the Gluttons.

In the translation I have, the Neutrals are called the Indecisives, who lived life with no blame but no praise, and the angels who chose neither God nor Satan but stood only for themselves. Their contrepasso is in 3 parts. Firstly, they have no individual voice but are an amorphous cadence of anger, outcries and groans compared to a whirling storm turning on itself. Because they did not voice their opinions in life, they are robbed of the individual lamentation of their lot in death. Secondly, they are forced to follow a banner which moves continuously and erractically, to reflect their failure to pick a firm position in life. Thirdly, they are stung constantly by hornets and wasps to reflect the conscience tion which they failed to act on.

The contrepasso of the Lustful is twofold. Firstly, as we have recently seen, the souls of those who enslaved reason to lust are blown by a dark storm - the darkness representing the clouding of the light of reason, and the wind of the storm representing the physical force overwhelming self control. The second punishment is shown in the interview with Francesca Malatesta, where the mutual resentment of Francesca and her lover, Paolo, for the predicament their affair has placed them in has replaced their deep love for each other in life. Their love which is presented by Francesca in a courtly, romantic manner is exposed a just base lust.

The Gluttons' contrepasso is the most obvious. They are mired in mud/slime to represent the waste they created around them, with cold, dirty rain, snow and hail in contrast to their warm comfortable lives, and howling like dogs (representing voracious, wolf like hunger - the first 5 circles of incontinence also being called the sins of the wolf). Cerberus extends the canine analogy by ripping, flaying and chewing the souls, who of course cannot die, but continue to suffer the physical pain of these bestial actions.

As a final note, my favourite contrepasso was always the woods of the suicides. However, that is another 4 circles away so I wait and see.

canonized said:

POP QUIZ !

a. Roxas

c. heroin, cocaine

a. a parasol

Contrapasso is the process by which souls serve penance in Dante's Inferno according to the nature of their sins in life. A literal translation would be "counter-suffering". It is the ironic cosmological law ensuring that "the punishment fits the crime".

Because the first sins only are a weakness of the will, and endurance is essentially strength of will to go on.

They're essentially the outsiders, a bit of the Tom of the old era except they have less of a clue of what is going on, but are a lot more virtuous. They also in some way represent the unity of all mankind fighting for Spain, as they are yet another people (Americans) fighting for the Spanish side.

In some sense, I'd say they're what the more noble of our heroes would have been if they had not gotten involved in the entire timepieces mess. They were willing to make some sacrifice to save a girl, although in the end it was the greed of the evildoers that really saved her.

answers inserted into the quote :)

Grubnessul: Let's see what Grubby takes up XD

Davout: Ahh , Davout comes out of his lurker shell again XD . I really should make more quizzes , eh ? Essay questions are fun and it helps to recap for each reader what they may have forgotten but another person picked up !

Great essay on the contrapasso ! Which translation do you have ? And yes you're right on the money with it !

Avernite: Not bad looking at the insider/outsider perspective although what I was driving at is how easily you can compare the stages of the Infernal journey (Neutrality , Lust , Glutton etc) to the actions of certain people as well as arturo and josé in those scenes . Let's not forget also the bestial imagery of the jungle representing the bestial nature of the sins encounter . The jungle is also a perversion of the Garden of Eden . I think it may have been either the chapter before this or two chapters ago when the jungle is first described in its broken-ness . Supposed to be a fallen version of the original paradise trying to indicate the fallen nature of the world we live in .

POP QUIZ !

a. Roxas
b. Van Axel
c. de Fronsac
d. Aznable

a. cocaine, heroin
b. opium, cocaine
c. heroin, cocaine

a. a parasol
b. a cloth parachute
c. an inflatable pad
d. pizza

b. A machine of Cerberus, the three headed hound of Hell - Zat vone
d. The Server is Too Busy At the Moment. Try Again Later - Though I'm tempted by this ROFL

The literal translation of contrapasso is counter-suffering, encountered throughout Dante's inferno, it serves as an ironic law, those that disobey nature's laws are punished in an appropriate and ironic way, hence, the gluttonous surrounded by garbage.

The Upper circles punish sins that are caused by an apparently weak will, therefore, a strong will would endure such temptation and avoid the punishment.

The essay questions will have to wait for when I have more time :(

POP QUIZ !

a. Roxas
b. Van Axel
c. de Fronsac
d. Aznable

a. cocaine, heroin
b. opium, cocaine
c. heroin, cocaine

a. a parasol
b. a cloth parachute
c. an inflatable pad
d. pizza

The other sections must wait, I must run to Mass now!

So, did I win a prize? :D

Bah, now you force me to really think about it :p

O well, Essay question A it'll be than.

The only thing blocking the four from the next circle at the end of the descending corridor was a stiff doorway that seemed more like a relic of whatever ancient Mayan ruin it was built on. It gave way relatively easily, but it was not without punishment. The fetid stench of the adjoining chamber assaulted noses and eyes relentlessly—it was the smell of rotting garbage. It was something they were prepared for, however. Madeleine had warned them prior that the next circle was the one reserved for gluttons. Wasteful and disgusting in their excesses, the damned of this circle writhed shallowly in a massive dump. “They did nothing in life except produce garbage and so they must spend the rest of eternity in garbage…” Madeleine had explained earlier.

The stench was obscene but the four stepped into the ring hallway anyway. Their boots met uneven ground and their torches, revealed for them a floor with shallowly covered mounds of garbage—probably intentionally ‘preserved’ waste that was left to fester and rot by the construction teams. Assortments of spoiled food, greasy rags, equipment, as well as the discarded offal of various animals already turning brown and green were strewn about in between the mushy pigment of dirt.

If the smell and sight did not curl the adventurers’ tongues, the sound of their boots sinking slightly into the filth might have wrecked their constitutions to the breaking point. Nonetheless, each pressed forward going left once more and navigated through the ghastly mess. “Your uncle has some twisted sense of humour,” Willem complained while covering his mouth and nose with a cloth, “I can see how hurricane winds can stop us but this is just annoying…”

Madeleine did not bother responding lest she involuntarily do something unladylike. It was true, however, even the terrible smell would only be a minor deterrence. There was something she was missing…

Walking silently through the slush, they diligently made their way around the ring until a dimmed sight began to catch the light of their torches around the bend. Closer and closer they approached it with distracted eyes. Iron was the first thing they could discern; iron that reflected dully the glare of their torches. Walking further and they could see it in plain sight now. Crowns of the black metal with jagged peaks mirrored each other thrice forming a triplet of jaws from one end of the hall to the other. Framing these teeth was a skeletal frame of the machine held to counterweights and gears behind the three mouths. Two protrusions on the floor curved into sickles to make sure that nothing could pass except in pieces or swallowed into one of the three throats of metal and point.

As if to give some kind of grisly jape to the whole contraption, a veneer was afforded to it made up of unprocessed bloody skins of hogs to hide its malice. Right next to it was the entrance to the next corridor hollowed out as a doorway on the inside wall. Unfortunately, it was then that the beast which had lain dormant suddenly came to life. The ticking of gears marked the slowing seconds like a clock until it raced to a tremendous pace. Iron creaked and metal clashed—the jaws of the deathly triple mouths snapped in turn and the claws on the floor slashed at the ground. “Cerberus…” Madeleine muttered dumbfounded.

Gluttony in this part doesn't only refere to the overuse of food. Amoungst the garbage there is all kinds of stuff. This could be interpretated as a rejection of the author of the consumption society, or more specific, throw away articles and the mass production industry. This view is encouraged by the machine Cerberus which seems to be a construction of black metal and fire, which could represent the industry.

An interesting note is that the only path seems to go through the thoats of Cerberus. This could be interpretated either as an acceptance of the author that the above mentioned industry is a necessary evil or a predestined path (although the first seems more likely given earlier posts).

Anyway, our heroes will soon find themselves in the belly of the beast (which Canonized will probably steal and use as title for a next update :p)