• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wait, wait, 1+1 billion people? That may be a *little* overambitious, no?

Some interesting developments.

In any case.. shady update, I think I generally prefer the massive battles :p

Me too, but not in my city, for Gosh's sake!!!!!

:p

Catalunya under assault?

Were the Catalaunian fields in Catalunya?

In any case.. shady update, I think I generally prefer the massive battles :p

The battle of the Cautalaunian Fields is another name for the battle of Chalons, then know as Catalauni, in 451 when the remanants of the Western Roman Empire and the Franks repulsed Attila's expansion into Gaul.

And going back to Arturo - shady character is shady....

Haha a wonderful 'pun' ... or perhaps we'll upgrade it to a 'reference' there XD . Looks like make or break : but the sinister plan is not simply to land and hold ... but take the Timepiece for themselves . The Persians are starting to get smarter by the minute ! And yes , Arturo is meant to be much darker after his experience in the jungle .

Wait, wait, 1+1 billion people? That may be a *little* overambitious, no?

Some interesting developments.

It is . The over-ambitiousness of it will be CENTRAL to the plots in the Vicky section and the HOI2 section as it comes up . it will also be a major theme near the end of this particular AAR

Me too, but not in my city, for Gosh's sake!!!!!

:p

And I do love your city , Kurt ! time for it to shine in its moment of tribulation !

Sinister update - I liked it!

Thank you , sir :D Glad the sinister feeling came across !

That many people in such horrid conditions must make for a huge Communist Party. :D

That many people in such horrid conditions must make for a huge Communist Party. :D

Another reason why it's very important for the Vicky side of things (which will definitely be a shorter piece than Timelines itself)

Shorter than Timelines is so open to interpretation...356 pages instead of 357...:D

It is . The over-ambitiousness of it will be CENTRAL to the plots in the Vicky section and the HOI2 section as it comes up . it will also be a major theme near the end of this particular AAR

I shall rephrase, essentially impossible. Suspension of disbelief failure and all that.

And I do love your city , Kurt ! time for it to shine in its moment of tribulation !

Tell me you don't mean "shine" as the shinning caused by "burn, baby, burn". We were sacked once by the moors -Almansur, ten centuries ago. That's enough, methinks...

Tell me you don't mean "shine" as the shinning caused by "burn, baby, burn". We were sacked once by the moors -Almansur, ten centuries ago. That's enough, methinks...

Haha , now you're getting me excited for it !

Take a look at the size and terrain type of the Iberian peninsula.

Which is approximately 590,000 square kilometers .

If we assume an average of 1 billion / 365 days for visitors on any given day there would be 1,002,739,726 people on the peninsula . Assuming that we limit ourselves to areas where elevation is not too high or steep but leaving in the possibility of many many mountain-side slums . Let's say above 1500m (remember that although there are lots of areas in spain which are high , the central mesa is one example of its flatness steepness and extreme height would be the only problems) . That would leave us with approximately 80-85% habitable . Taking the top end up with approximately 501500 square kilometers .

Population density average would be approximately 2000 people per square kilometer .

Let's compare metropolitan area population densities:

Tokyo: 4049 people per square kilometer

Seoul: 4048

Mumbai: 8170

Cairo: 9031

Manila: 6466

Karachi: 10727

Hong Kong: 5179

Mexico City: 2784

Sao Paolo: 2223

Remember that these figures are for the METROPOLITAN AREAS so this includes suburbs and outlying satellite cities .

The Iberian Peninsula would be a large metropolitan zone but comfortably between Sao Paolo and Beijing . Or , if you prefer EU settings: in between Milan (2280) Rotterdam (1940) However , it's true that this presents tons of problems with such a huge agglomeration , however that is what the previous update was attempting to talk about considering that this is the HEART of a WORLD EMPIRE .

Last edited:
If we assume an average of 1 billion / 365 days for visitors on any given day there would be 1,002,739,726 people on the peninsula .

Ah now, the way I read it was 1bln standard + 1 bln (at the same time) staying temporarily (it was not a pretty sentence to read :p)

Still a little overambitious, but at least *somewhat* more credible :)
Just because a density is sustainable for 30Mln people (the largest "city" I can find today) doesn't mean it's anywhere near sustainable for 1Bln. For one thing the distance from "service area" to serviced area is growing quite a bit (a factor of 5 if we assume "service areas" available all around, which is hardly the case for Iberia, even if we assume the Sahara connection works)

As I said to someone some time ago, tell to a Spamiard that he cannot do something. Just try. :D

'You can't put 1 billion people in the peninsula'.

And you'll get 2 billion people next time you look at it. :D

Ah now, the way I read it was 1bln standard + 1 bln (at the same time) staying temporarily (it was not a pretty sentence to read :p)

Still a little overambitious, but at least *somewhat* more credible :)
Just because a density is sustainable for 30Mln people (the largest "city" I can find today) doesn't mean it's anywhere near sustainable for 1Bln. For one thing the distance from "service area" to serviced area is growing quite a bit (a factor of 5 if we assume "service areas" available all around, which is hardly the case for Iberia, even if we assume the Sahara connection works)

And by today's standards it wouldn't be sustainable , but this is why such a mega-metropolitan zone and the first highly ubranized huge stretch of land will be of interest as a unique part of the timelines story . You always hear about cities but I thought that the idea of a global empire would help give rise to a country-city and thus drive some interesting narrative developments both now and down the line .

As I said to someone some time ago, tell to a Spamiard that he cannot do something. Just try. :D

'You can't put 1 billion people in the peninsula'.

And you'll get 2 billion people next time you look at it. :D

haha , the Spanish spirit ! too bad they're usually too busy fighting each other ! =(

Heh, watching this play out should be good.

Also: Burn, Baby Burn!

It'll be rather intense , alright !

haha , the Spanish spirit ! too bad they're usually too busy fighting each other ! =(

Never knew the Spanish and us Scots had so much in common :)

Upcatching time again... I just hope your longwindiness has taken a favourable turn... ;):p:D