• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
canonized said:
chapter25tile.gif

Chapter XXV: Silence​
Words to "The Sound of Silence",
By Simon & Garfunkel:

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dare
Disturb the sound of silence

All right, well... When you first posted that cipher, I cut & pasted it into an MS Paint document, and printed it out. I've carried it with me since then, hoping to have a chance to decipher it and figure out what it said.

I finally did! :D It was quite fun, actually. Not that it's a difficult cipher. And the words jogged my memory -- I knew I'd heard it before, so I googled it. So here we are.

I am a bit behind, still, so maybe this was explained in one of the updates I haven't gotten to yet, but I do find it very interesting.

Very clever, young man! ;)

Rensslaer

Last edited:
Commentary ... ah, yes, AARthors do so love getting feedback, commentary, ironic statements regarding deviant psychological behaviors or foodstuff obsessions ... all that good stuff. ^_^

KUTGW canonized, and thanks for the reminder about the Q1 voting ... thing ...

Scuttles off to re-locate that voting thread via conveniently placed linky...

Rensslaer: I'm so glad you had fun with that !! The little piccies get so little notice sometimes that I'm very glad you pointed it out ! And yes the cipher that I found for it wasn't particularly hard (it's actually a pre-produced picture I found on google) and decided to feature it since it wouldn't be hard to figure out and would convey the theme of the chapter ! I'm so glad you pointed it out ! Thanks again for your patronage !

Turin the Mad: thanks for the nod ! And thanks for your continued readership ! I'm very glad to have you on board !

P.S.

Alright folks , looks like SM3 took like 2 and a half hours so i'm exhausted . I've decided to postpone my chapter until tomorrow night and instead post the Interview with stnylan in a few minutes (since it's Saturday already) . That way , I will still keep within my 3 updates a week while giving you guys something to look at !

canonizedstnylan.png

You've Been Canonized!: stnylan​

Welcome ladies and gentlemen once again to this installment of You've Been Canonized! our weekly interview segment here on Timelines where we take patron authors who have graced us with their comments here on the thread and give them an interview . If you're new to the programme, I am your host canonized author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? and today's guest is the prestigious stnylan author of In Memory of France as well as many other works ! Let's get to the interview!

Part I: The Author
Our guest stnylan and I discuss a little bit about himself .

canonized: Good evening ! It's an honour to have such a long standing fixture of the community with us . Could you tell us exactly how long you've been active on the forums and how long specifically you've been writing ?

stnylan: Well, I joined the forum a week or so after EU2 arrived from Amazon - my join date is 2nd August 2002. I drifted in the AAR forum towards the end of that year, and indeed I begun my first AAR (MonAARstery Chronicles) on the 28th December of that year. As for writing more generally however, I have been doing that in some form or other since I was about 9 - essentially when I was old enough to read the Iliad and Lord of the Rings and so some (very bad) imitations.

canonized: Why did you choose to start writing AARs for the community ?

stnylan: Partly to simply see if I could do it, partly to try and write a faux-chronicle, and also out of the hope that I could entertain.

canonized: Aside from being a writAAR you're also one of the moderators of the forum , could you tell us a little bit about that particular role and how it has affected your experience on the boards or the experience of others ?

stnylan: I was a little hesitant accepting the role out of a concern that it would take out the 'fun' of the forum by making it appear too much like 'work'. To some extent that concern was justified - I feel responsible in a way I previously did not - but on the whole what makes these boards fun is the community. If anything the position has meant I have communicated with more members than I have done previously, and usually very positively. So the change is not something I at all regret.

canonized: This community is certainly vibrant and as someone who has been here for quite a while you have a unique perspective not just on the history of the forums but on the myriad AARs that have come up over the years . What AARs and AAR styles that you've seen for this span of time have influenced your own writing ?

stnylan: Inspired would probably be a better word than influenced, as my most obvious influences in style and subject are all off-forum. But inspiration would most especially include two whodunnits - Who Killed Cologne in EU2 by Storey, and a HoI AAR by Norgesvenn, another whodunit. That AAR is called The Long Wait.

canonized: One of the most prominent features from your forum persona , I would say , is the many quotes you have in your signature . Two of which are from perhaps two of the most well regarded Catholics of the 20th century -- John Paul II and G.K. Chesterton-- could you tell us a little about why you included these thoughts in your identity ?

stnylan: I think the Chesterton quote is about as much encouragement to myself as anything else. The Christian way is hard, but that it is worth the journey. As for John Paul, well, I find him as worthy an example of how to live a life as exists in the modern world. And central to that life was that you do not give into your fears. That goes in all things, from the very great to the very simple, from having the confidence to stand by your beliefs, to being able to start writing an AAR...

canonized: Could you tell us a little bit about your Christian identity and how it has affected your work or your forum experience ?

stnylan: The simple answer is: not at all. Oh sure, there are some people who will be rude on account of my faith, but if it wasn't that there would be something else for them to object too. And also, how would I know any different?

canonized: Lastly , in your signature there is also a quote from C J Cherryh and I believe that this also gives us insight into your particular writing style . Could you tell us about your focus stylistically as a writer and why ?

stnylan: I like to read - and try to write - stories based around characters. I suppose you could call me character-driven. This is not to say that I have a dislike of plots, for I do not. All characters need to have a background, and some of the most compelling stories will have wars and the like in the background. This is true of the earliest stories in western literature - the Iliad is the story of Achilles and to a very large extent the Trojan War is the just the backdrop in which his story is set. The rise and fall of nations, or other 'plot-dominated' storylines can be very compelling themes, but I find them made so much stronger for being seen through the lens of a set of well-formed characters. There is one further character, however, and that is the character of the entire story. A fairly extreme example - a Python comedy has a completely different feel from a Shakespeare tragedy. I try not to neglect this larger character amidst the smaller ones.

Part II: The “Compulsive ComentatAAR”
We both discuss a little bit about Timelines and his thoughts on the work .

canonized: As a character driven writer , what are your thoughts on the characters presented in Timelines especially with the duress of the span of the intended narrative as it is in the past ?

stnylan: My main thought is that, due to the nature of the story that you are writing, is that we ultimately only get glimpses of these characters, in what I imagine are actually atypical situations (because the interesting snippets almost always are). That's not quite true for the characters in the present, but there the timespan is a good deal less.

canonized: Any particular character or characters from the story that you enjoy or stand out to you ?

stnylan: Sio-pan, I think, is the most interesting villain thus far. Decidely creepy. Antonio also has attracted my attention I think because of all what surrounds him. In particular on the boat, and now in prison, great things are happening around him yet he is (relatively) helpless. These situations I find, well, interesting.

canonized: Hehe , yes he's gotten himself into quite some predicaments . It's true that in the long run of the span of the timeframe itself -- at least in the past -- the only constant are the plot elements as characters get old biologically . What are your thoughts on the story itself so far ?

stnylan: It seems to be coming to some sort of climax - though I would not be surprised if there were a few distractions yet along the way. The story itself is an interesting mix between whodunnit and cloak and dagger.

canonized: One of the things that has been pointed out to me that we share in common especially with your current work 'In Memory of France' is that both our pieces switch between different timeframes . In particular , Timelines runs both the path and present in parallel . What are your thoughts on this stylistic element as well as the interplay between past and present ?

stnylan: Well, you obviously have a far larger gap between your past and present sections than I, allowing some nice references in the present to the past history (which de Witt Cardinal, for example) that I avoid. On the whole, however, it is fun being able to approach a story or an idea from multiple directions - it gives a better perspective. Having two linked stories, past and present, enable this.

[canonized: As I've discussed with Mr. Rensslaer in a previous installment of this programme , Timelines includes many Christian themes but more specifically they can be said to have a Catholic identity . Have you noticed these aspects and how have they contributed to your overall experience of the work ?

stnylan: To be entirely honest I have not really been aware of this - but then I am rarely purposefully analytical of a story unless I get a flash of inspiration. My reading style is to sit back, relax, and let the author take me on the journey. Although sometimes I get ideas about what something means or where the story is going, I try not to second-guess. Though I must say the thought of 'Templar-like conspiracies' has occurred to me.

canonized: Fair enough , how about the lectures Cardinal DeWitt gives to his subordinate Renault about the synthesis of Science and Theology , the sacramental atmosphere of Antonio's confession to his friend Jakob through their mutual friend -- the symbol of the position of a priest in the sacrament -- as well as the obvious motif of universality ?

stnylan: Thinking on these things - all these instances fit very well into the story you have told. That actually makes them less noticeable - and that is a good thing. But to some extent I suppose these are also less noticeable to me because of my own Catholicism, if that makes sense. Given the world you have created (and to use another extreme example) it would be very strange to find a Cardinal not being worried about the sexual license at the academy, for example. But because he does, and as the characters behave it certain ways, it meshes seamlessly with the world created.

canonized: Ahh thank you , as for the last question in this section , what do you believe the elusive Timepiece is ?

stnylan: My own personal thought is that the timepeace might not be exactly the same thing for all people. It is an idea that works at two levels. The first is one of expectation. A modern day example, some people hold nuclear weapons to be guarantees of world peace while others see them to be the pre-eminent threat to world peace. The second level is expectation. One side might expect to find something that could be used as a weapon, another might be expecting something that could advance knowledge of medicine for new ways to heal. I don't mean either these above examples to refer specifically to the timepiece, but the matter of what the characters' perception of what the timepiece might be is a fertile area for thought.

Part III: France’s Eulogist
Finally we shall discuss a few things about stnylan’s current AAR.

canonized: First of all , I have to say that the Spanish Succession Event as I told you before was one of my favourite events in EU2 , could you tell us a little about how you came about to choose this backdrop for your story ?

stnylan: Well it was completely random. The game on which In Memory of France is based on (I was playing Spain) entailed a very interesting series of events with France. The climax, so to speak, occurred not long after the question of Spanish Succession so it is only natural that it will have an important role in this story. However, if that particular series of random events and occurrences had occurred, say, twenty years later game-time, or twenty years earlier, it would be less of a factor, or a complete non-issue. The game decideth, in other words.

canonized: As we were discussing earlier with your character-centered style , you truly go in depth with your characters and especially with your main character Jean . Looking at his life in the present and past as well as his memories invokes a very holistic feel to him . what would you have to say about your main character ; how you made him and your feelings about him ?

stnylan: Jean began as a character in a Guess-the-Author piece (what is actually the first post of the AAR). He has undoubtedly developed since then, yet I think remains recognisably the same. When I decided to write the AAR it was clear to me that Jean would have had a demanding youth and childhood, and everything really flows from that. To some degree the story in the past has been about a loss of innocence, but the 'Memory' sequences perhaps also show his innocence was taken long before he arrived in Madrid. To that extent he is like a ship on a stormy sea - tossed about and doing all he can to avoid the treacherous rocks. In that tumult he is trying to live...

canonized: And it is quite the treacherous gulf that he is crossing not just between Spain and France but also between good and evil . That is to say that he is both noble and wicked , patriotic and a self-described traitor . Tell us a little about about the transformation of this character and the moral ambiguity that you have placed on him .

stnylan: 'In Memory of France' is to a great extent a kind of workshop for me, and Jean is certainly one of the projects. I am trying to write a very ambiguous character as you say, neither black or white, nor a grey inbetween, but black and white. Conflict is a very powerful tool for storytelling, be it between nations or between individual people. With Jean I am using conflict within a single person, as these various parts battle it out. I should mention that, on a rather less intense scale, I think this is essentially true for all of us. As humans I consider us to be rationalising, rather than rational, beings.

canonized: Speaking of rationalising , your thread is filled with discussions both about the content as well as speculations as to these deeper meanings underneath your work , what would you say to those who would read your work and attempt to find the meaning therein ? What would you say is the thematic message of your piece ?

stnylan: Most importantly I would say - find your own meaning. A wise person once said something along the lines of that an author ceases to be the sole owner of a work the moment someone else reads it. And while I certainly have ideas of what my story my ultimately say, I am going to play coy and not reveal them at this time. There is still a long way to go, and I do not want to prejudge things.

canonized: Right now , the story reintroduces the Father of Jean's memories into the active role of the story . For your readers and for those new to the work , how would you say his presence will now effect the course of events ?

stnylan: Jean's father has been something of a looming presence for quite some time now. First as just references, then the matter of the traveling chest, and then the memory sections. Bringing him in will obviously allow - is already allowing - some good scenes between past and present. I know the meeting between Old Charles and 'Alessandro' is eagerly anticipated by some - including myself! - but it is also enabling yet another view of Jean. And further this important character relationship, and that, ultimately, is probably what is most important about his appearance.

canonized: Yes certainly Old Charles and Alessandro as well as Jean's Father meeting with the Duke are the events I’m looking forward to . Any hints on what will happen in the future ? A sneak peek or teaser perhaps for your fans out there ?
stnylan: Well, I can't really give sneak peeks given that this story is mostly written on the wing. That is, I have an overview that has had only one significant change since I started writing, but alot of the detail I simply don't know til I write it. I will say, however, that the current story arc in the past is coming to a conclusion, and then when it does finally conclude that will be the end of Part 1. Though given my currently slow update rate that might take a little while.

canonized: And lastly , what are your future AAR plans after this one ?

stnylan: Well, assuming I ever finish this one I do want to go back to a chronicle/historybook style AAR, along the lines of some of my other AARs. Though there is one opening for this gameworld continuing in Victoria ...

canonized: Thank you again stnylan for this interview , we certainly were privy to great insights today ! It was an honour ! We’d also like to thank our audience for tuning in once again this week ! We hope to see you all next week when we will be returning to our “new WritAAR” roots with and interview with newcomer on the scene Turin the Mad ! Remember to also vote in the AARLand Choice Awards 2007 Q1 since voting has been extended till the 14th and keep myself and stnylan in your thoughts as you make your choices !

Excellent interview :D

You've got some really perceptive readers.

What can I say Armi, another excellent peice. I think, when all is said and done, aside from your outstanding writing abilities, that the "canonized" series of interviews will stand out as one of your greatest contributions to the forum. You have taken a number of long time members and relative newcomers and brought them into a new light. All of us, I think, form opinions about various members here based either on their writing, their responses to others AAR's, or both. Sometimes this view can be limitiing.
With this segment, you have brought a new level to interaction on the forum, while bringing us closer to other members of said forum. Keep up the great work. You know I am one of your staunchest supporters.

RGB: Thank you very much , RGB ! I'm glad you're enjoying this section of our thread as well !

thrashing mad: thanks for your patronage ! yeah it was certainly fun , stnylan's an interesting character and a wonderful author .

grayghost: You have very kind words , my friend , and I'm always edified by it ! I really do hope that these interviews help the community and shed some light and some fun on authors . I'm very blessed to have cool authors both young and old frequent here . Including yourself !

Fiftypence said:
Good interview. :)

Thanks !! Update will be coming both tonight and tomorrow ! Lately I've been swamped ! Oy !

Looking forward to my turn at the whipping post ... er, interview table, yeah, yeah ... ^_^

As always, the interviews are great reads canonized. Presuming at some point that you conclude this AAR, the interviews must continue in any and all subsequent AARs you undertake.

Especially if you cross-pollinate into other fine bits of electronic Paradox mayhem. :D (Crusader*cough*Kings*coughcough)

Turin the Mad said:
As always, the interviews are great reads canonized. Presuming at some point that you conclude this AAR, the interviews must continue in any and all subsequent AARs you undertake.

Agreed!

I would also go as far as saying that a sticky with links to them would be desirable as well, maybe in the 'AARs and Fanfiction - General Discussions' forum together with 'The SolAARium' and 'The fAARq'.

Turin the Mad: Looking forward to whipping yo-- er I mean , interviewing you too !

Petros: Thanks for the encouragement ! I did have plans of that sort but I think I'll wait on it a bit more . I'm quite new to the forums so I want the interviews to gain more vintage ! Thanks again for your support !

p.s. UPDATE COMING NOW ! (as soon as I proof read)

chapter35tile.gif

Chapter XXXV: The House of the Rose​

October 15, 1582

The sign of the Rose was etched with such prevalence into the parchment and onto the wooden furniture around the room that it became a motif as disturbing as if Antonio had a thousand eyes peering at him through the circles of that symbol. To add to the eeriness, the room itself presented something of an unremarkable fixture of Chinese possessions slowly growing in age and dust. There were also artifacts of Portuguese origin strewn here and there: western tables, western swords, etc. It was in these Spartan surroundings that the lady tightly held by ebony straps of leather fawned over her new prisoner.

He was certainly a handsome little specimen, Nia thought to herself. Allowing her eyes to follow the stately curves of Antonio’s jawline, she bent a grin on her face before standing up straight to examine her bound prisoner on the bed from a God’s eye view.

“I hope you make yourself comfortable,” she teased the man. Her eyes wandered a little towards the more uncovered portions of Antonio’s body. This nakedness was necessary, she thought to herself, to keep him cleaned.

As for Antonio himself, the presence of the lidless gaze of the room only added to the nausea and vertigo which he now experienced. It must still be the lingering effects of the various poisons, he thought to himself as he attempted to close his eyes to steady his head. In a temporary form of paralysis, he was only able to breathe heavily as the collective dizziness of the entire room seemed to mount onto his brain like a rush of blood.

Before he could ask any more of his warden, she already slipped past the ornate entrance way. When Antonio attempted to open his eyes again, the apparition of the beautiful lady was gone. Forcing himself to breathe through his teeth, he kept his consciousness about as best he could in order to study his surroundings. Although he had the utmost faith in the rescue from his friends, he was not about to let himself be idle. As if to counter his determination, his fractured arm communicated a sting of pain as he attempted to test his restraints.

“Don’t do that!” someone suddenly called from the doorway in a heavily accented Spanish, “or the bone won’t set properly!”

Antonio’s dizzied expression met a simple young woman holding a jug in her one hand and a bowl in another. Although she wore a tight black cloth binding—not dissimilar to what Sweet wore when Antonio first met him—her face and hair expressed no strangeness or aloof eccentricity usually associated with these members of the House of the Rose.

Oh yes, Antonio’s thoughts simultaneously reminded him, the House of the Rose which was better known in its westernized pragmatic name of the Beijing Espionage Team was a directory arm of those shadows who possess the Imperial Palace with their minds of intrigue and war. Acknowledging the importance of information with a far greater alacrity than their western counterparts, this particular group was well known throughout Asia. Not just mere spies or assassins these highly educated and deadly foes were a combination of western forked tongued diplomats and the ruthless and stealthy Hashshashins of the Muslim world. Even the Shinobi of Japan understood the excellent scholarship and discipline of these mainland warrior-shadows.

But that doorway exacted a different image. Perhaps she was just a stable girl or servant, but she still bore the distinctive privilege to tend to prisoners—which the House, as Antonio was told, holds to high regard. It was not merely that to be trusted with a prisoner means that one does not betray any information, but that through simple deception more can be gained from the enemy than the enemy from them.

“I’ve come to bring you some water,” the girl at the doorway announced as she rushed with small steps to the side table. Antonio nonetheless tested his straps despite the warning and moaned softly in between the lightness of his head and the pain from his arm.

With no luck, Antonio settled against the rather comfortable cushions provided for him and trained his blurring eyes towards the young lady now to his left. Through his strained vision he could barely see her features but nonetheless could see an object being brought towards his face. His instincts depressed his head further into the pillow to avoid the coming hand but as the girl insisted on pressing the object against his bottom lip, the cool softening touch of water entering his mouth forced him to nearly swallow the vessel it was brought in whole.

Barely remembering to breathe as he gulped down bowlful after bowlful, Antonio’s parched eagerness elicited a faint chuckle from his caretaker. When the ferry of water to his lips ceased, he let out a heaving pant before settling back into the cushion. With his head better off from the introduction of the liquid, his vision similarly attained some clarity. Looking upon the girl, she seemed just as ordinary as he had associated with her clothes and she might have been five or six years younger than he. Muttering a “thank you” softly, Antonio kept his eyes on the girl as she cleaned put the bowl and jug to the side of the room.

“You can thank me by not moving that arm,” the girl responded with a grunt as she heaved the heavy water container to its proper place. “Otherwise, Lady Nia would kill me for having you be irreparably harmed.”

Antonio narrowed his eyes inquisitively at those words.

“Lady Nia?” he asked, “is she your master?”

As the young lady finally placed the object, she turned to face the prisoner and dusted herself off comfortably. “Of course,” she replied with a grin that almost ridiculed the question, “she is the Head of our House and thus the head of all the Jinyi Wei”

“But I had spoken with the leader of the Jinyi Wei before… he was no wom—”

“Oh that was our previous leader,” the girl pre-empted Antonio with a motion of the hand that waved the statement away. She found her way back to the side table and impishly leaned over to hover her perpetually smiling head above Antonio’s. “In fact,” she added in a hushed voice, “It was your little invasion that got his head chopped off.”

Antonio took a moment to direct his eyes straightly towards the girl’s. “And Nia took command?” he asked as his dark hues watched the movement of her features carefully hoping they would betray some information.

“Yep, she was our training instructor so it was only natural that she took over,” the girl replied straightening herself up again.

Pondering the words in his head, Antonio stretched parts of his lethargic body careful to avoid moving his left arm. Closing his eyes and letting out a soft moan he could feel the silk sheets atop his body caressing his naked frame in mock decadence. When he opened his eyes from the exercise, he found the girl again but she had a strange blush dominating her pale cheeks. Antonio was caught off guard by it and merely blinked at her.

“I… I will be back later with some food,” the girl stammered before quickly turning and shuffling out of the room. Antonio could barely take in a breath before she was gone only forcing him to slink back into his cushions with a sigh. The headache began to overtake him again.

As the young girl slipped past the portal and into the hall, her arm was suddenly accosted by slender fingers. She let out a small gasp before following the forceful grip into the shadow of the corridor’s bend.

“Does he have it?” was the curious voice from the dark.

“I… I’m afraid I didn’t get a good look, Lady Nia…” the young girl replied with obvious anxiety.

“Try again when you bring his food,” was the calculated order before the grip on her arm was released.

Slightly shaken, the young woman hugged herself against the wall of that shaded hall as her mistress stepped away. She could not tell her lady, she thought to herself. For the House to survive, their leader must not have any distractions. She must never know who it is she will eventually have to part with forever.

---​

The pressure around Cardinal DeWitt’s neck permitted no air to pass except the faintest of gasps. Grappling feverishly with his hands clawing his neck, he tore some of his skin as he attempted to find whatever object it was that held him in place suspended a foot off the ground. But it was in this oxygen deprived manner that the familiarity of the pain sparked in his mind. He had felt this before.

In his memory, it seemed only yesterday when he had a noose tied around his neck. One could barely believe it was nearly a quarter of a century since that time. Dragged downward step by step in front of his parish church, the Cardinal had been garroted by a common rope and forced to bang his chest and knees against the stone entranceway to his small chapel in the east of the Holy Roman Empire.

“Burn the heretic!” he remembered the crowd crying out as his enraged captors tugged violently on the cord. He had let out a desperate cry as his bloodied knees once again rapped against stairs.

At that time, his vestments did not shine with the nobility of the blood of martyrdom. Instead, his clothing was a simple black and white—the colours of a local priest.

“Burn him!” the crowd formed in a semi circle at the entrance of the chapel called out once more.

With knee and elbows bleeding from underneath his clothes, the young Father James DeWitt held onto his noose with tired hands attempting to dislodge himself. It was to no avail. Another pull and his face now found itself sloshed in the mud of the well trodden dirt in front of his small chapel.

A triumphant cry emanated from the crowd and many pitchforks and torches were raised high in glory.

“What do you have to say for yourself?!” One of the strong men pulling on the rope called out to him.

As the young priest spat out mud and blood, his upper body weakly forced itself upward and he gave no response except small almost unintelligible gasping.

“Ave María, grátia plena…”

Another terrorizing tug on the rope and Father DeWitt’s face hit the mud once again.

“Your Lady won’t save you now, priest!” one of the men jeered as the crowd erupted in another jubilant cry.

Though tears and pain wracked his faced, the young priest continued his prayer as he brought himself up again despite the jeering of those around him. As his muddied face held bitterly to the cold of the dirt, he was suddenly met with a wandering warmth.

Quickly opening his eyes, he saw a fire erupt in front of him. The image ahead of him rushed immediate tears from his eyes as the very image of Christ burned in a pile. The cross which had but so recently adorned the top of the Sanctuary of his little chapel was now charring away a few paces from him.

“You will burn along with your idols!” one of the other men holding his rope roared at him.

For Father DeWitt, his heart receded until its very beat seemed to dampen against the bottom of his spine. His eyes would have single handedly washed away all the mud from his face with all the tears it was pushing forth when something golden caught his attention from the corner of his vision. He saw two men carrying an object and immediately recognized what it was they were doing.

“NO!” he cried out as he lunged towards the men on his right as they descended the steps. These men were now bringing the Tabernacle towards the flames.

“Take me!” Father DeWitt cried out as the men held him back half choking him as he pumped legs against loose mud. “Please take me instead!!” he cried out with outstretched arms towards the Tabernacle as it was carried towards the flames.

“Look at him worship his idol!” the men yelled out to the crowd again as they held back the young priest as that golden container was now dropped into the pyre.

In the laughter, the men let the rope go and his forward force immediately brought the young priest to the muddy ground again eliciting a greater show of amusement from the audience. Half crying and half beaten to exhaustion, the young DeWitt clawed the ground and found his way to the fire. Reaching into the flames, he held the heated metal of the tabernacle and let out such a cry that the crowd even dampened their glorious uproar for a moment to watch as that young man burned the skin on his hands to pull out the golden vessel.

As the Tabernacle swung in an arc away from the fire and the young priest DeWitt fell on his back against the mud, the doorway opened and the Eucharist flooded outwardly in a white rainbow before precipitating onto the dirt. The spectacle drew a second array of laughter.

Heaving with strained and course breath, Father DeWitt followed the trail on his hands and knees and with great reverence and crossing himself each time, took each muddied Sacred Host and placed it into his mouth.

“Look! Now he’s eating dirt with his bread!” the men called out again.

As the crowd erupted in laughter once more, the young priest swallowed each piece despite coughing up blood on several occasions. The people around him no longer existed. He had already reconciled that today he would be dead. Unlike many of the Catholic residents of his city that had fled when the new Protestant governor came to power, Father DeWitt stayed. He knew it was only a matter of time before the townsfolk would come to his chapel—they would come for him and for the five or so remaining Catholics of the city who he said mass for every morning. This would be his last act as a priest and as a servant of God. All he needed was enough time to consume the Sacred Body so that it might not be blasphemed. He prayed fervently to God to give him that time so that his life might end for the sake of his Lord Jesus Christ.

“Eternal Father,” he prayed in his mind as he consumed the Body with trembling hands—dirt and all. “I offer you this pain and suffering; this humiliation and death, so that I will be ‘filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church, of which I am a minister…’ May my suffering be penance for all the abuses done by priest and clergy—”

Once again, a swift pull on the rope and the side of his body crashed against the mud. He had finished bringing the Body of Christ into himself. He was now resigned to his death. With weary eyes he looked around at the bodies illuminated by their sacrilegious fire. As his final thought, he attempted to look at each and every face willing himself to forgive them all.

It was these thoughts that wandered through the eternity of those seconds in between breathlessness and consciousness. Although he was eventually rescued by the liberating Austrian forces a few weeks later, the Cardinal now found himself once more choked. But… he would not die this way, he screamed in his mind. He would not allow it to happen so easily—especially not when it was simple and unabashed trickery.

Trickery indeed, for even in the dim light and veiled windows he could see the black-painted metal wires emanating from Zio’s gauntlets, twining around his neck, and continuing to shaded corners of the room. Zio’s trickery might have worked on less intelligent individuals, but Cardinal DeWitt, one might say, developed skepticism to magic early on.

His scarred hands from all those years back now grabbed onto the metal threads both in front and behind him and gripped tightly. With a singular feat of upper body muscle, both ends were now contracted towards his neck. Zio held fast but could not help but be dragged across the floor an arm’s length as the three black cloaked individuals along the top corners of the room were now pulled away from their high positions atop reliefed windows and came crashing to the floor.

As the Cardinal whipped the wire away from his now reddened and bleeding neck, he roared in Zio’s direction. The Lion of Meissen will not die until his Heavenly Father says so.

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

After the morning prayer in the staff meeting room, General Mikhaylo Novaposhyn crossed himself up, down, right, and left while most of his staff crossed themselves up, down, left, and right. Although the scourge of Mohammadism and Communism eradicated millions of Eastern Christians like General Mikhaylo, the beginnings of the End of the Great Schism nearly a century and a half ago secured him a viable and peaceful way of life in the Spanish world.

Naturally it was not until John Paul the Great a few years back and now Pope Benedict’s historic visit to Constantinople that sealed the deal nearly one thousand years waiting, but his family had been quite excited to not only repair the age old division, but also because the recent Popes have been adamant and encouraging about keeping the regional customs of their exarchs and metropolitans. The synthesis of Western concern on rationality and the Eastern concern on mystery complemented each other far more than they ever contradicted each other. It was in this same way that his Eastern heritage was welcomed and made at home among his Latin Rite brethren—even to the point of rising in the ranks of the usually Latin-Rite Lions of Meissen. He was proud to be an Eastern Catholic.

“General, we’ve fulfilled Duke Jimenes’s orders as you requested, the city will be secure,” one of the lieutenants said.

As General Mikhaylo reviewed the report just given to him, he blocked out the din of telephones and the tapping of computer keyboards that dominated that headquarters.

“And what do the supercomputers say?” the General asked curiously.

Nearly a mile underneath the metropolis of Tokyo, deep in an underground bunker, not only did the Lions sponsor and maintain a large military installation, but directed Pacific Rim activity for the entire Asian coast. Feeding weather patterns, troop movements, and other data into the facility also meant passing it through Japan’s best supercomputers. The installation felt like something out of that Matthew Broderick movie about the Great War that he saw growing up—at least the General thought so.

“That whopper of a computer down there did detect a radiation spike in the vicinity,” replied his lieutenant, “and recommends we go to Defcon 3.”

With a nod, the General of the Pacific Rim gave his authorization. The command center he presided over was like a glorified mechanized court room. Where he sat was like the raised dais of a sitting tribunal. Flanking him on his right and left were the various operators working the supercomputers, and where the audience would be were various screens and map layouts that showed the state of that side of the world.

In a large screen illuminating a good portion of his field of vision, the General could now see His Imperial Majesty Emperor Otto addressing the Empire. As the General watched the old monarch give words of solidarity now that his Lord Chancellor informed the nation that no such nuclear device has been unaccounted for, he sighed wearily and looked down towards the red phone once again that flashed a signal that it was calling someone. Ten times now and Duke Jimenes had not picked up. He had just spoken to him a few moments ago, he thought. Where had he gone off to?

---​

“What else do we know about this Zio persona?” Rodrigo asked as he anxiously awaited Carlos’s analysis. They both were crowded around Rodrigo’s Macintosh in his hotel room.

Carlos scrambled with the Lions server systems. In the meanwhile, Lara and Tom were glued to the television watching the Emperor’s statements on the top right corner of the screen as images of panic in the streets of Beijing followed by the paratroopers and tanks getting into position filled the rest of Noticias Zorro’s live coverage. The Lord Chancellor had explained just a few minutes earlier that the troops were there simply to find the terrorist, they had claimed.

“Nothing else seems to be available on him except the notes given by the Cardinals’ aides,” Carlos explained.

Rodrigo looked carefully at the screen.

“What does this mean?” Rodrigo asked pointing towards a portion of the text.

“Well, one of the reasons why the Cardinal never found the other councilmen or why this Zio was never apprehended was because of that.”

Rodrigo read it over in his mind, “Cardinal DeWitt, Missing 1582.”

Chapter XXXVI: The Missing (coming soon)

Brilliant update!

The action is so well described that for a minute there I felt like that gauntlet was round my neck and the recollection of that memory gives us more insight into the Cardinal's soul and mystique. Excellent indeed!

And something tells me that the young girl (the servant) could be crucial in future developments in the House of the Rose. Lady Nia appears to be looking for a mark or a scar on Antonio's body - isn't she? I'll have to wait to see if I'm right, but if I am then I wonder what the significance of it could be.

Tanks and paratroopers in the Chinese capital? Sounds to me like a new 'Tienanmen Square' to be honest.

I'm in great anticipation of the next update, but in the meantime thanks once more for an entertaining update!

Petros said:
Brilliant update!

The action is so well described that for a minute there I felt like that gauntlet was round my neck and the recollection of that memory gives us more insight into the Cardinal's soul and mystique. Excellent indeed!

And something tells me that the young girl (the servant) could be crucial in future developments in the House of the Rose. Lady Nia appears to be looking for a mark or a scar on Antonio's body - isn't she? I'll have to wait to see if I'm right, but if I am then I wonder what the significance of it could be.

Tanks and paratroopers in the Chinese capital? Sounds to me like a new 'Tienanmen Square' to be honest.

I'm in great anticipation of the next update, but in the meantime thanks once more for an entertaining update!

Petros ,thank you so much . You've always been such a great fan of mine and I'm thoroughly thankful for your patronage !! I'm glad you enjoyed the action , and you're onto something about looking for a mark or scar !! Very astute of you ! And yes , the tension from the terrorist threat in Beijing is causing lots of tension especially in a place where the Chinese population is not as assimilated into the Spanish society yet . I hope to continue to entertain you in the future ! Thanks again !

Very good indeed. The scene of DeWitt's memory flash was especially powerful. As for missing - that could mean a multitude of things. I wonder what secrets are yet to be uncovered.

so...Cardinal DeWitt missing since 1582. I'm not sure if its safe to suspect that Zio wins against DeWitt or not...
and I wonder what Nia thinks Antonio might have :eek:

stnylan: Thank you ! It was indeed quite powerful when i was writing it that whenever i started to think about it in my head I ended up crying . Haha I must sound terribly silly .

Myth: It's not like you to be stumped , Mr. Myth !! But thanks again for your patronage , always a pleasure to have you around ! We'll have to see what will happen for now !

It has been some time since I last commented on your story, but I've kept up reading and I must say I'm impressed that you can keep up such high quality writing for all this time.