• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

paulp575

Second Lieutenant
9 Badges
Jan 1, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
The other day when I started the game, the first message I saw was there is a new CS launcher and suggested I download/install; so I did.
I closed CS and back at the Windows 7 desktop; restarted CS. Totally different interface (launcher version is now 2021.7.1).
Started game. Wow! What a difference!
Now have background music (never had that before).
Could not load game I was playing with before the launcher update because the "Load game" button was grayed out.
Looked at the Content Manager to see what was different. Again wow!
All my assets and mods were disabled!
Closed CS and rebooted computer.
Restarted CS.
Went to Content Manager and re-enabled all my assets and mods.
Closed CS back to desktiop and restarted game.
Still no "Load game".
Before all of this I was having a problem with my new map (Beech Shores which I modded to replace roundabout with two straight parallel roads.
Map is missing!
Opened default Beech Shores and redid the map.
Saved the map and closed CS to desktop.
Restarted CS and loaded new map and this error is displayed:
0 - Map (modded) error message.jpg

I click OK and everything seems to be working.

Thinking something has gone wrong and I probably need to uninstall CS and reinstall from scratch?

Upvote 0
Please attach the output_log.txt here, so we can have a look at what happens to cause that error. The log is found in the Cities_Data folder where the game is installed. The easiest way to find it is to right-click on the game in Steam, select Properties, find the tab Local Files and click Browse. Then open the Cities_Data folder and find the output_log.txt and attach it in a reply here.

I could not find the file using the instructions you provided so did a search in D:\Cities Skylines folder; found it!
Attached.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    224,3 KB · Views: 0
Curiously the error doesn't show up in the log. But let's determine if it's mod related or something else causing it. Add the launch options -noWorkshop and -disableMods to Steam, then test on a new city. Does the error happen then too? Or is it gone?

How To Set Launch Options
  • Right-click on the game title under the Library in Steam and select Properties.
  • Enter the launch options you wish to apply in the box (be sure to separate each code with a space). Should look like this:
    Code:
    -noWorkshop -disableMods
  • Close the game's Properties window and launch the game.

Thanks for the reply.
It's going to be awhile (maybe a week or more) because the desktop is in the shop (think the 7-year old motherboard died).
Once I get it back and get caught up (using the laptop with minimal stuff on it) I'll post a reply.

Computer is back up and running.
Tried to follow co_avanya's steps, but nothing on the Steam launcher.
When I click on the Steam shortcut in my Start Men, I get the screen attached to this post.
I've tried right clicking on everything and there is nothing to click on.
I don't see any "game title under the Library in Steam".

Attachments

• Steam Launcher v7.2.jpg
    Steam Launcher v7.2.jpg
    118,9 KB · Views: 0
Sorry, are you saying this game does not appear in your Steam Library?

What happens when you hit PLAY in our launcher there?

What is the "Steam Library? Where do I find it?
Attached is what I see after I click on "Play" on the Launcher - after seeing the Blue/White Colossal logo and the Paradox interactive logo.

Attachments

• CIties Skylines Home Screen.jpg
    CIties Skylines Home Screen.jpg
    136,4 KB · Views: 0
Open Steam, then at the top click Library and find Cities: Skylines on the list on the left. Right-click on it and select Properties, then paste "-noWorkshop -disableMods" (without the quotation marks) into the box at the bottom and close that window to apply then. Then click Play through Steam to open the game.

Attachments

• Screenshot (164).png
    Screenshot (164).png
    434,9 KB · Views: 0
Open Steam, then at the top click Library and find Cities: Skylines on the list on the left. Right-click on it and select Properties, then paste "-noWorkshop -disableMods" (without the quotation marks) into the box at the bottom and close that window to apply then. Then click Play through Steam to open the game.
I don't see that screen.
I have a shortcut that takes me to https://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/workshop/. Even on that screen I don't see the word Library.
Even removing each part of the link (from right to left) I don't see the word Library anywhere.

To play this game you must have Steam installed as an app:
"Install Steam Now"

You log into that app with your Steam account and this game will, or should, be in the Library section of it, as per that screenshot from co_avanya.

To play this game you must have Steam installed as an app:
"Install Steam Now"

You log into that app with your Steam account and this game will, or should, be in the Library section of it, as per that screenshot from co_avanya.
Interesting that you say I must have Steam installed as an app.
I currently have it installed on my desktop computer and it plays fine. Or at least until now it has. Looks like it's been installed since Jan 2, 2019.
What's the difference between installing on my desktop and installing it as an app?
And - is that an app like an application (like other programs on my PC)?
I've seen that prompt on the very top of one of the screens. Why would I want to install it twice? Will installing it again mess up what I already have installed?

What's the difference between installing on my desktop and installing it as an app?
Nothing, they are two ways of saying the same thing.

You must have Steam as an app, application, programme, client, whatever you want to call it, running on your machine. We are trying to get you to look at that app - not using any desktop shortcut or website - and click on the title in it Library. This is necessary so you can set the game up to run with the launch options co_avanya suggested to use, that can only be done in that Steam app.

In the Windows search box enter steam - does it show up there as an App? It should, it does on mine.

This is what you're looking for. Click the app to open the window I showed before.

Attachments

• Screenshot (166).png
    Screenshot (166).png
    137,5 KB · Views: 0
Found steam.exe in my D:\Cities Skylines folder.
Took the steps above as suggested by co_avanyo.
Exited to the desktop.
Started game by clicking on steam.exe and got to the game. First started a new game. Everything seems to be working - although I don't have any mods or assets I've added (was expecting this due to the parameters applied). Saved the game. Exited to the desktop and restarted the game again using steam.exe. This time opened the Editor and created a new map based up the Beech Shores map. Played around editing a map. Saved the map and exited to the desktop.
Then tried by clicking on my StartMenu shortcut. Sames results (didn't expect anything different!).

What's the next steps? Unsubscribing to all my mods/assets and adding them back one at a time? I hope there's an easier way - although I have only about 100 assets/mods at the current time. Is there some type of log I should post? If so, please let me know where to find the log.

Thanks!

Found steam.exe in my D:\Cities Skylines folder.
It really should not be in there. The default location is C:\program files (x86)\Steam\ , unless you chose another place during Steam installation.

Regardless; when you run Steam you'll see a title up the top LIBRARY as seen in post #9 above. Click on that and you'll see this game listed . Then proceed as described in that post.

Did you have the launch options in place when you edited the map again this time around? Or did you remove them and have mods running again?

It really should not be in there. The default location is C:\program files (x86)\Steam\ , unless you chose another place during Steam installation.

Regardless; when you run Steam you'll see a title up the top LIBRARY as seen in post #9 above. Click on that and you'll see this game listed . Then proceed as described in that post.
I normally use "custom" installation to place my programs in drive D so drive C doesn't become too large.
Problem right now is I have no assets or mods.

Did you have the launch options in place when you edited the map again this time around? Or did you remove them and have mods running again?
Launch options were/are still in effect.
Can I remove them so I can get my assets and mods back or do I have to unsubscribe from them through the workshop and then resubscribe to them?

I normally use "custom" installation to place my programs in drive D so drive C doesn't become too large.
Problem right now is I have no assets or mods.
That's not my point - steam.exe CANNOT be installed inside the game installation folder, as that folder is created by Steam! That is, Steam must be installed first, THEN you install the game with Steam. If you've then manually moved Steam.exe to be inside the game folder, well, I am not surprised you are having problems!

I think you need to uninstall everything - Steam and game - and then install Steam again on D: drive, then install the game in it.